Victim told she must buy back stolen ...

Victim told she must buy back stolen jewelry

There are 64 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Mar 14, 2008, titled Victim told she must buy back stolen jewelry. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

New Port Richey, Florida - "This is totally unacceptable, absolutely outrageous." Sue Bradshaw is talking about her attempt to recover the rings she lost when her home was burglarized last month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Monica Bice

Mulberry, FL

#1 Mar 14, 2008
How absolutely awful! Does this man think that this is good advertising for his business? What an idiot!

I hope nobody buys anything there!
Tee

Zephyrhills, FL

#2 Mar 14, 2008
This bites. I hate a thief. Our house was broken into yesterday. The jerks got all our personal documents and some coin collections. We got a description of the car and the thief. I hope they catch them. Broad daylight and went right out my front door.
Peggy

Zephyrhills, FL

#3 Mar 14, 2008
Was it an older model white 240 Z car? That one was seen in our area too after some houses were broken into.
Susan

Cantonment, FL

#4 Mar 14, 2008
That is outrageous! Why isn't the pawn dealer being charged with dealing in stolen property? He admitted that he questioned the whole situation. His gut instinct told him the truth, his greed won out, and I'll bet the $500.00 was no where close to the value of those rings. He saw a way to make a quick buck, and jumped at the chance. He should have to return the rings.
Tee

Zephyrhills, FL

#5 Mar 14, 2008
They also hit a couple other houses on my street and in all they headed straight for the master bedroom. Got gold rings etc at the other homes, but we had none of that stuff.

And yes a white Z car is the description we got.
ALLAN

Palm Harbor, FL

#6 Mar 14, 2008
THE PAWN SHOP SHOULD BITE THE BULLET AND GIVE HER THE PROPERTY BACK SINCE THE PAWN SHOP KNOWS MOST OF THE STUFF THEY BUY IS STOLEN. PAWN SHOPS SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BUYING STOLEN PROPERTY. IT IS NOT HER FAULT THAT THE PAWN SHOP PURCHSED THE STUFF FROM A THIEF. THE POLICE DEPARTMENT SHOULD TAKE THE STUFF FOR EVIDENCE FOR COURT AND THE PAWN SHOP SHOULD BE THE ONES TO LOSE THE MONEY SINCE THEY ARE THE ONE THAT PURCHASED STOLEN GOODS.
Citrus County Residence

Clearwater, FL

#7 Mar 14, 2008
That sucks for you guys, I feel bad for you. I hope the crooks don't steal your identity, but at least you guys are safe and weren't home when it happened. As for the pawn shop guy, why didn't he call the police when he thought the property was stolen? Isn't that the procedure? To call the cops? I think he should be a good samaritan and give her back her property. Whoever is out the money will get it back through restitution and the state attorney's office if they are a victim. Pawn shop should give back the rings and write it off as a loss on his taxes. It has sentimental value to her, money to him.
Gabby

Brooksville, FL

#8 Mar 14, 2008
Dont understant the laws here in Florida because back home in Washington state. When a pawn shop has a stolen item, The police take the item for evidance.The Pawn shop well be out the money.The owner gets it back but yes it takes months till the person gets charged with the crime but at least the owner DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR THERE OWN ITEM that was stolen.Whats wrong with Florida laws anyways.Shame on the Pawn shop owner for his comments.

Since: Sep 07

New Port Richey, FL

#9 Mar 14, 2008
This is why I don't buy expensive stuff. The most valuable things I own are my kids. I'm not saying you should have anything nice but it sure does suck for those who do, and it gets stolen.

As far as the pawn shop not returning the goods...well if she has to petition the court and go through a long process and could still lose, sounds like laws need to be changed. I don't think its fair that the business owner isn't giving her property back, from his point of view, if he isn't breaking any laws then its just business.
rgmarksjr

Wesley Chapel, FL

#10 Mar 14, 2008
why aren't the police involved ? they would not pay for evidence. it is made to sound that what happened was alright. she should be told her rights by police and/or your station. the pawnbroker is responsible also, and he makes excuses so he doesn't lose money. there could be a happy ending with work.

“To Protect And Serve”

Since: Aug 07

Trenton N.J

#11 Mar 14, 2008
Flor-duh really has some stupid laws but instead of fixing them they are more worried about toilet paper.
Tee

Zephyrhills, FL

#12 Mar 14, 2008
We were told the crooks would most likely toss the documents, but it scares me as to who may find them if they just toss them out on the road or something. We have put freezes on our credit files, filed complaints etc, but who knows what will happen.
2old2care

United States

#13 Mar 14, 2008
OUTRAGEOUS!!! police should have taken the property into evidence, and then returned it to the victim. a pawn shop owner will always say he didn't know the stuff was stolen. but we know otherwise.
Zephyrhills Cop

United States

#14 Mar 14, 2008
All she needs to do is go to the Clerk of the Court and file some paperwork. They will cut her a check for the amount the pawn shop is asking for the property and she can go buy her property back. The courts will then seek restitution from the Defendant and the Victim can get her property back without having to wait.
This happens 10,000 times a day, which is exactly why the pawn shop has to hold on to the property for a certain period of time before it can be sold, as well as submitting pawn sheets detailing ALL transactions at the end of the month to the local Police/Sheriff agency.
Good luck!!
carol

Wesley Chapel, FL

#15 Mar 14, 2008
What an ugly scumball that took the jewellery in the first place. He should be forced to pay to have the rings returned to it's righfull owner, along with jail time. Why should the victim have to pay. Someone needs to step in and see that justice is done.
Holly

AOL

#16 Mar 14, 2008
It is very sad because the people who follow the laws end up getting taken advantage of. The owner of the pawn shop even question it, then said she should be lucky they guy sold it to him. Why because he's a honest theif????? I hope he becomes a real man and gives the lady her ring back.
Tammy

Brooksville, FL

#17 Mar 14, 2008
Its funny. I know this guy through a friend and have heard he doesnt ask to many questions about where stuff comes from. Lets just say, in my book hes not the most honest man out there. By law she should get her belongings back, after all they were on the police stolen report list. She didnt come up out of the blue and say "hey, this stuff is mine, with no way to back it up. If the person that was arrested was only 17(which I believe is the case) he cannot legally enter into a contract or agreement. As a so called professional business owner he should know this and maybe have checked the hot sheets. So he should have to eat that 500.00 and maybe review his policies a little better.
john aldride

Tampa, FL

#18 Mar 14, 2008
she should sue the pawn shop for a couple of million and put
the crook out of bussiness
Mag

Clearwater, FL

#19 Mar 14, 2008
Isn't this classified as harboring stolen goods?
Mag

Clearwater, FL

#20 Mar 14, 2008
A friend of mine was loaned a car that she didn't know was stolen and was charged with grand theft and sentenced to five years..what is the difference here? What is so hard about this person getting arrested after actually knowing he had stolen goods in his store? Where are those overzealous police when you need them? I would call the gov of florida and raise a stink,,,,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Port Richey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Happy Pool (Jun '10) 18 hr Tony Paris 5
Good Music (Jan '14) Sun anonymous 90
Review: Metro Fences (Jan '15) Mar 22 Kevin M 8
Review: Trinity Pet Spa Pet Wash & Pet Grooming (Jul '09) Mar 21 JMAZZ 25
White trash New Port Richey/Pasco County (Nov '10) Mar 17 Sharon Hawkins 302
"New Port Richey" is the stuipidest town name I... Mar 3 Again 1
News Prostitution sting nets arrests in New Port Richey (Aug '07) Mar 3 Again 16

New Port Richey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Port Richey Mortgages