Ohio justices block schemers who want to profit from destroyed public records | The Columbus Disp...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Motive now matters when Ohioans turn to the courts seeking damages from governmental bodies that illegally destroy public records.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Jul 8, 2011
Oh Really

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 8, 2011
"transparent Ohio" LOL
timmy

Leetonia, OH

#2 Jul 8, 2011
It's all about money ! Weather it's there side or your side . It's moneys side !
Poverty

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 8, 2011
Anything that stops marauding lawyers is good.

Since: Dec 09

Columbus

#4 Jul 8, 2011
Damn, how is a scammer supposed to make a living?
Hayduke

Washington, DC

#5 Jul 8, 2011
Kinda like the part of the ADA law that says only the attorneys can collect
Jim

United States

#6 Jul 8, 2011
Instead of throwing out the law and giving government complete impunity, the legislature could simply cap the damages to a reasonable amount.
Civics101

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 8, 2011
What if my motive is to prove that governement is illegally destroying public records? Would it be fined then?
Question Authority

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 8, 2011
I hope Kasich is paying attention....
History major

Columbus, OH

#9 Jul 8, 2011
No one should have to give a reason for requesting public records. It's a dangerous precedent to set. On the other hand, when a judge/jury can make a reasonable assumption from the evidence that collecting big cash awards is the sole or primary motivator, they should have descretion to hit a public entity hard with a big penalty, but have that money go to something useful - like training their employees in records retention, records archiving technology or even to various charities in the local area where the violation occurred. That way the government entity feels the pain of screwing up and the people who were really harmed (the citizens as a whole) benefit and not greedy schemers.
Pixie

Huntsville, OH

#10 Jul 8, 2011
Why is it always in favor of the Government and not in favor of the general public? This is just plain wrong and should not have been allowed. What will be next the sunshine laws taken away? People need to stand up to this one because if we do not they will nit pick our rights away one by one just to make life easier for them!
Dan Gleesack

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 8, 2011
What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?
-- Ones a low life bottom feeding scum sucker; the other's a fish.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Philadelphia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 59 min xxxrayted 30,475
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 20 Marvin Levels 188
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
obama muslim? (Sep '08) Jul '14 does it matter 2
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul '14 They cannot kill ... 231
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | School wh... Jul '14 Pam Ladson 1
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Bobby Nye 178
•••
•••
•••

New Philadelphia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New Philadelphia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

New Philadelphia News, Events & Info