Greenwood wins Class B band title

Greenwood wins Class B band title

There are 14 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 20, 2007, titled Greenwood wins Class B band title. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Avon's Marching Black and Gold did it again, winning a fifth consecutive Class A high school marching band title Saturday night in the RCA Dome.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

“Hey, were you there when I....”

Since: Oct 07

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Oct 20, 2007
Great job to ALL the bands who competed!
Congrats to the 1st place winners!! I loved band back when I was in school.

“Viva la revolucion!”

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Oct 20, 2007
This one time...at band camp...
JR Fralick

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Oct 20, 2007
It was Avon's SIXTH consecutive class A win. Thought you might want to know.
eric

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Oct 20, 2007
GHS will get the 4peat
Blair

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Oct 20, 2007
No, it was Avon's FIFTH consecutive class A win, and their seventh overall. Check their website, check on indianamarching.com , or talk to kids of schools who've lost to them at state for multiple years in a row now (like me lol).
Neutral Observer

Louisville, KY

#6 Oct 20, 2007
First of all Congratulations to all who participated in this evenings band competition. Everyone deserves to be commended for their outstanding efforts to achieve appearances in state competion. I only wonder based on the performances how the judging was determined? Did they see the same performance that the fans saw? I do not believe that a first place performance is one that has several members trip and fall during a performance of a "marching" band competition.
Ryan C

Green Bay, WI

#7 Oct 20, 2007
Neutral Observer wrote:
First of all Congratulations to all who participated in this evenings band competition. Everyone deserves to be commended for their outstanding efforts to achieve appearances in state competion. I only wonder based on the performances how the judging was determined? Did they see the same performance that the fans saw? I do not believe that a first place performance is one that has several members trip and fall during a performance of a "marching" band competition.
I dunno. I only saw one person fall. There could have been more, but perhaps I didn't see them. "Several" seems to be bit of an exaggeration though. But the tuba player I saw got up quickly, back into form, and continued as if nothing had happened. That is an indicator of not only a mature marcher, but also a well trained band. Avon epitomizes this.

Falling aside, Avon's program and execution thereof was a notch above the rest. That's not to say there weren't some other great bands. Avon was just simply the best. Carmel and LC will get their revenge in November,I'm sure. Avon's show isn't artsy-fartsy enough to legitimately compete for a BOA national title. Too bad for them...

P.S. My ISP is in Avon, but I'm from Brownsburg. Didn't go to Avon...
Avon Band Parent

New Canaan, CT

#8 Oct 21, 2007
It amazes me how these kids can work so had for such a long time. The conduct on the field is sure something to be proud of. What is disapointing is the lack of coverage they get from the media. Here is a true feel good story that can sell more copies. If the media thinks that it is not a hot topic, ask the vendors that sell the instruments, clothing, badges. 5 in a row and it is a sub line? Bad journalism.
Go AVON!
Plainfield Parent

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Oct 21, 2007
I agree w/Avon Band parent concerning the media's marching band competition coverage. Very disappointing!!! THe kids work so hard all year long to perfect their show and are so dedicated. Guess you have to have been in band or a band parent to appreciate the kids' efforts!
Congrats to all band participants and their directors. Great season!! Can't wait until next year!!
An Avon Resident

Broomfield, CO

#10 Oct 21, 2007
Congrats to all participants and a thank you to all the volunteers that support their school's band program.

I'll have to agree that the media is at times somewhat lacking and could do a better job.

Even with this lack of local coverage I know for a fact that the quality of the marching band program does not go unnoticed. High School band directors around the country do know of the talent, dedication and capabilities that the state of Indiana has in its marching band programs.
LUKE

Cambridge, MA

#11 Oct 22, 2007
eric wrote:
GHS will get the 4peat
GHS MAY GOT 4TH BUT LIKE 1st PLACE TEAM
Blair

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Oct 22, 2007
Neutral Observer, points aren't deducted for the fall itself. If a band member recovers from the fall poorly (taking too much time to get back in form, not playing with rest of band fast enough, etc...), THEN points are deducted from a section of the scoresheet (and there are many sections!!!). Avon killed every other band out there Saturday night with their music, and they were the cleanest band out there, no hands down. People who have been in marching band in the past and present know how the ISSMA scoresheets and their subdivisions are worked, and there is absolutely no way that Avon could not have won State. BOA, however, is another matter entirely, and both Carmel and LC tend to peak by the time that competition rolls around (both schools have very BOA-friendly shows). As Ryan C said, Avon's shows aren't as BOA-friendly (BOA's guidelines for scoring are different than ISSMA's), but Avon is solid gold anyway.
Blair

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Oct 22, 2007
Haha I meant to say "hands down", not "no hands down"! Oops!
Ray

AOL

#14 Oct 23, 2007
Avon was muddy visually but played well. Homestead was the cleanest band overall but their show wasn't very demanding. Avon is not the first band to win 5 in a row, Ben Davis did it in 1984-1988. they also had a State title in 1982 and a National MBA (BOA) divisional title and Grand National Runner-up in 1993. That was the weakest Class A Championships in many years. I think Greenwood could have won Class A, too. They are so strong visually and no one marches with the perfection of Greenwood in the midwest. Their forms are perfect and the transition between charts in wonderful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Palestine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Records detail murder suspect's troubled past (Jan '08) 1 hr Prince of nap 371
News Bloomington, 2 counties join opioid lawsuit 2 hr Doylemiller 8
Walls close in on Pence: Mueller now has thous... 4 hr barry 2
News Indianapolis schools ask voters for $936M more ... 8 hr Adrien Perez 1
News No family found, but Vietnam vet to be honored ... 12 hr censor 4
Bogus Lawsuit 15 hr Merry Christmas 3
Jailhouse Xmas 15 hr Give it some time 2

New Palestine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Palestine Mortgages