Mother, daughter charged in Medicaid ...

Mother, daughter charged in Medicaid fraud

There are 24 comments on the Evening Sun story from Feb 13, 2011, titled Mother, daughter charged in Medicaid fraud. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

A mother and daughter face charges of Medicaid fraud after they allegedly received more than $2,000 worth of funds for caretaking services the daughter never performed, according to the Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney General.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
do you really care

Mount Holly Springs, PA

#1 Feb 14, 2011
This is why we need more check & balance's for all agencies across the board. How is it that UCP didn't know this man was not in need of full time care for more than 20 months? Dishonest people will always find a way to rob the system. The saddest part is....more than likely a family who deserved this money was denied services due to lack of available funding.
Stacy

Spring Grove, PA

#2 Feb 14, 2011
on her way to mass....really?
GET TO THE POINT

Hanover, PA

#3 Feb 14, 2011
FRAUDS and BUMS always know how to beat the system.
Rick

Baltimore, MD

#4 Feb 14, 2011
How dumb do people have to be to not realize that social services outlets like medicaid, should only be ripped off by illegal aliens - which is apparently not so newsworthy, as when citizens do it.
truthteller

Burnt Cabins, PA

#5 Feb 14, 2011
So Mom was getting paid to care for Dad (in violation of idiot rules) instead of daughter who could be paid. Solution:send dad to a nursing home at a cost to taxpayers of $90,000 per year. What a great way to save the taxpayers $4000. It will only cost us an extra $86,000. I say change the stupid rules to let Mom take care of Dad in order to keep him out of a nursing home. She'll charge far less than $90,000. Of course that won't please the nursing home lobby who seems to be writing the rules to favor themselves and costing tax payers a bundle.
Resident

Frederick, MD

#6 Feb 14, 2011
Jarrett should have asked her church to help instead of stealing from us taxpayers! She, her husband and daugher are thieves, plain and simple. They've obviously lost their tickets to heaven. I can just hear her Sunday Mass prayers now. "Please Lord, don't let them find out I'm cheating the Medicaid system."
wow

Hanover, PA

#7 Feb 14, 2011
Why should anyone get paid for taking care of their loved ones..that is just sick. If it is your spouse you married them for sickness or in health and if it is your parent--they raised you and supported you for all those years..isn't taking care of them the least you can do??
Robbob

Biglerville, PA

#8 Feb 14, 2011
Resident wrote:
Jarrett should have asked her church to help instead of stealing from us taxpayers! She, her husband and daugher are thieves, plain and simple. They've obviously lost their tickets to heaven. I can just hear her Sunday Mass prayers now. "Please Lord, don't let them find out I'm cheating the Medicaid system."
That was hilarious.
August West

United States

#9 Feb 14, 2011
The key words here were "trailer park." Going to mass was a made up story in hopes that the court would have leniency on her since she is such a God-fearing individual. The bum probably hasn't attended a mass in 30 years, if ever.
agree one hundred percent

Baltimore, MD

#10 Feb 14, 2011
wow wrote:
Why should anyone get paid for taking care of their loved ones..that is just sick. If it is your spouse you married them for sickness or in health and if it is your parent--they raised you and supported you for all those years..isn't taking care of them the least you can do??
I couldn't agree with you more!! and I feel as if the person above stating they should pay the wife to care for this person is probably abusing the system as well. I have dealt with sick family members and not once asked for assistance from ANYONE. As a family we work together to get the job done. Stop being so damn lazy people and take care of yours.
sad but true

York Springs, PA

#11 Feb 14, 2011
Got to agree with "Wow". This is why our society is the way it is. Everyone is out for "what's in it for me." How sad...
Local

Hanover, PA

#12 Feb 14, 2011
what did ucp do to earn the rest of the 16.60 paid to them from the state medical assistant fund (Medicaid)?????????
Kathy

Spring Lake, NC

#13 Feb 14, 2011
UCP "earns" the money by providing case management services, which in this case was obviously ineffective. I am working with Medicaid in another state which also outsources UCP for similar services. This is a total rip-off. You're right WOW, there is no reason a 50-something year old woman should not be taking care of her own husband.
Booby

Bendersville, PA

#14 Feb 14, 2011
Wonder how long Ed can handle this stuff?
sad world

Landisburg, PA

#15 Feb 14, 2011
What a story!!! When my father was in his last stages of cancer my brothers and I took care of him. He raised us, giving us a wonderful childhood (along with my mother) and now it was our turn to take care of him. THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!!! How very sad for the daughter and wife to make money off of a loved ones illness.
hmmm

Spring Grove, PA

#16 Feb 14, 2011
45 Brown's Dam Road...the address for Stockham's Trailer Park. It seems to go hand and hand.
abc1234

Dayton, OH

#17 Feb 15, 2011
wow wrote:
If the spouse has to work full time to put food on the table and pay the bills then they wouldn’t be available to care for their spouse during work hours and they would have to pay someone to come in and care for the loved one. I think spouse should be able to get benefits for caring for a spouse. Can anyone tell me if a parent is eligible for benefits if they are a full time caregiver for their own child?
wow

Hanover, PA

#18 Feb 15, 2011
abc1234 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the spouse has to work full time to put food on the table and pay the bills then they wouldn’t be available to care for their spouse during work hours and they would have to pay someone to come in and care for the loved one. I think spouse should be able to get benefits for caring for a spouse. Can anyone tell me if a parent is eligible for benefits if they are a full time caregiver for their own child?
Yes pay a TRAINED person to come in and care for a loved one but NOT pay a family member. Why should a spouse get paid for taking care of a spouse? Why should anyone get paid to take care of a FAMILY member? If you have to work then either another family member can come in to care for their loved one or a paid TRAINED person can come in to care for that person.
shim

Chambersburg, PA

#19 Feb 16, 2011
great now that they caught them there are no more people ripping off the system. I thought this day would never come. the people ripping off the system are doing so because the system allows it to happen. oh I know the system can not keep up with everything, great excuse. Unless the system is told that somebody is doing something wrong the system has no idea. They ripped off the system & now have to suffer the consequences. Now what about the couple who play house no papers saying that they are married but pretend they are and she is still getting money from the government for a child she had to somebody else & now has a kid to her play hubby & getting money for that kid. How about the system check up on that person now again, I like to keep check on where my money goes but the system does not care. If it is to much for the people running the system then maybe we need to hire some more people. Suggestion make the lazy asses that ripped off the system work & get that money paid back. Just a thought.
simply

Westminster, MD

#20 Feb 16, 2011
A trained care giver from say Visiting Angels charge between 17 to 25 dollars an hour and I don't think they can give meds. 5 years ago it was $17 an hour. Not everyones family is willing to jump in and help. I was the only child to assist my father and I had 2 other siblings. We were all raised by the same parents but I was the only one there. I did have extended family that offered to help me and was glad of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Oxford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 2 hr You are a loser 7,192
Is Sam's Club Still Planned for Gateway? (Nov '13) Nov 22 Amanda 2
News Power outage hits rush hour (May '10) Nov 20 David Dell 16
News Ex-security guard charged in thefts at Hanover ... (May '11) Oct '16 Private 6
Ummmm......yeah Oct '16 waitwhatwhowhenho... 1
News York County High School adds campus in New Oxford (Jul '08) Jan '16 Steve Gratman 9
News Former car dealer charged with theft (Mar '09) Jan '15 Neil Hoffstot 83

New Oxford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Oxford Mortgages