directNIC Domain Registration Complai...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DXNJ

Pearl River, NY

#21 Jun 26, 2011
I must say the same, I NEVER had a problem with Directnic. They actually offered me a lower rate than GoDaddy when I started transferring domains to Godaddy, thinking they were cheaper and to test them out.

Godaddy ended up being more expensive and I didn't care for their customer service. Since then, I have switched the domains back to Directnic.

www.reggaeplanet.com
kitten

Littleton, CO

#22 Jun 26, 2011
I have a reoccurring problem of the site going down after repeatedly editing the site via FTP. I saw above that it may be a IP block. They have never mentioned this after 15 trouble tickets about it over the last 3 years... Multi FTP connections as a problem... hmmmmm ? other wise fine service with them. they now have m-f phone service so that helps...except when its sunday
frelop

Placerville, CA

#23 Aug 23, 2011
I have about a dozen sites with DirectNic (for at least 10 years now) and have NO problem with them. They are inexpensive, have good service and terrific customer support. Yes, to change emails and customer info you have to change it yourself in two places, but so what? Now that you know, just do it. I've had two clients lose their domains because of not paying attention to the warnings for renew, so that's their fault, not DirectNic's. Yes, the cost to recover the domain is ridiculously high, so we just changed the domain name - it was a hassle but with all the search engines, spiders, robots and so forth out there being so efficient it didn;t take long to get it back in the groove again to "hit" when searched. I've switched several sites over to DirectNic and those other services (GoDaddy, Network Solutions)are difficult, expensive (ripoff) and a pain in the rear.
don

Troy, MI

#24 Sep 27, 2011
My only issue is their technology is so outdated, their customer interfaces is from the mid 90's

Don
http://www.amazingarticles.com
casual user

Charlotte, NC

#25 Jan 10, 2012
I've been with Directnic for years (with 15-20 URLs), and, up until recently I thought they offered good pricing and great service. I even "weathered" Katrina with them, reading their blog, absolutely astounded at their online performance. Great job there. However...

Their recent change to cPanel for their hosting eliminated reasonably priced bannerless hosting, adding a lot of extras I neither wanted nor needed. A small problem, to be sure, even if it did raise the price of bannerless hosting by 1000%! The real problem arose when I submitted a trouble ticket. "Brian" and I went back and forth a few times, then Brian closed out the ticket without responding to my last question (Why didn't my service renew when it was set up for auto-renew?).

To make matters worse, I called the 800 number for Support, held 15 minutes TWO times, and was hung up on both times. Each time it sounded as if someone picked up the line and then hung up. During the first hold, someone actually picked up the line talking loudly (and unintelligibly), then put me back on hold (never addressed me).

As mentioned earlier, I considered Directnic's service to be great...now, I think...not so great. It's time I looked for an alternative.
David Mullinax

Stafford, TX

#26 Apr 3, 2012
They lost my database during the transfer. Spoke with someone over the phone the week before who walked me through the transfer process and assumed he covered everything. Just yesterday I go to my site and notice that it is down due to a database error. In the trouble ticket, the customer service rep asked me if I had backed up my database. All information was erased off of the old server.
I'll just assume that it was my fault because I didn't back it up but will be shutting down my service and moving to another hosting company anyways. Sorry for your loss.
directNIC Angry Customer wrote:
directNIC "upgraded" their servers last week, apparently without doing any testing or QA beforehand. Ever since this "upgrade" my online store has been down, causing me to lose thousands of dollars - it's been down for over a week now. After not being able to reach them by phone for several days, I created a trouble ticket in their system to which I got absolutely no response. I did research on my own and provided them with the solution in the trouble ticket and they still have not fixed the problem. Unfortunately it is a database issue and I do not have access to the location on their server that hosts the database. After finally reaching someone on the phone, they tell me that it is not a database problem, they are still working on it, blah, blah, blah. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was told that there were no managers in the building and that one would not be available until tomorrow. I never had any problem with my online store until their "upgrade". You can bet that they will be hearing from my attorney! This has gone beyond being a case of terrible customer service, and has reached the point of gross negligence...
hate directnic

Lawrence, MA

#27 Apr 22, 2012
1/2 day after my domains grace period domain gone! Lost so many good names to them if its a crap name theyre not so fast! Your $15 means crap to them when they can resell at 10x so done! Theyll send u 20 experation notices but not one saying its gone in a day or two i know its my fault but what the hell!
edrichards

Newark, OH

#28 May 2, 2012
Our company's e-mail as now been down for 72 hours.

The company said they changed their server system due to spam, but failed to notify us and other companies that use them for e-mail. So none of us can use our e-mail. We are dead in the water.

Our owner has been trying to deal with a chap by the name of Brian Williams, in their (lack of) support department, but from the replies I've seen he just speaks in generalities without specific information to resolve the problem.

I've had to take out a GMAIL account just to do business.

You would be well served to NOT do business with this company.
Not MY DirectNIC anymore

High Falls, NY

#29 Jun 20, 2013
I paid for an EV-SSL Certificate, and they couldn't properly install it. Now my website has the HTTPS but No Lock and No Green Bar, which is why I paid $150 for it. Everybody else's Green Bar appears. Even DirectNIC's. I'm losing sales in the meantime. I'll give it another 2 days before I bail.
Unreal

Lake Oswego, OR

#30 Sep 11, 2013
Had to mail a notarized form to assume access control for our company after our IT Dir left. Sent it UP Next Day Air. It arrived on time. But due to their antiquated internal communication system/processes our mission-critical services are still delayed because (get this) "someone has to go get the mail" from another location. This is Day 3. Each hour is costing us thousands in terms of reptational risk. All I got was the runaround when I asked to speak with a manager.
mike

Berkeley, CA

#31 Sep 25, 2013
if you threaten legal action, directnic will cut you from customer service. You can only send the legal department an email. How's that for customer service?? A fifteen year and very unhappy Directnic customer = Directnic stole and sold my domains to an auctioneer.
You mention legal action and they 86 you- nice policy Directnic - no wonder your company has a reputation for theft.
TerryS

New Orleans, LA

#32 Dec 4, 2013
I have been a Directnic customer for probably 10 years or so. I have not had any problems for most of that time until recently.

My email will not work at home or on my mobile device while on my home WiFi. Of course I know it's a problem at my house, but Directnic hasn't answered any of my 3 trouble tickets. All my other email works at home.

Why won't they answer me? This is infuriating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Orleans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr commenters 20,985
Jazz festival Apr 27 Peggy 1
News New Orleans takes down white supremacist monument Apr 25 Saul 1
News Court: New Orleans can remove 3 Confederate mon... Apr 25 RushFan666 40
Coon Azz Apr 24 Sneek Blee 6
Forgiveness and Mercy for Cardell Hayes Apr 23 Long distance 3
Brandy Jones Apr 21 Poo-Bear 2

New Orleans Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Orleans Mortgages