directNIC Domain Registration Complai...

directNIC Domain Registration Complaint and Problems

Posted in the New Orleans Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
directNIC Problem Child

Panama

#1 Nov 2, 2009
Has anybody here had a problem with a company called directNIC that is supposed to be based in New Orleans, LA? They are a domain name registration company and they really have horrible service.

I'm really worried that they now have my credit card information and that they may use the the information in the future for identity theft.as anybody else had problems or complaints with that domain registration company directNIC?

It's really hard to tell where they are... New Orleans or in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.

ICANN accredited? What a joke of a company and I'm going to have my attorney complain as they may be taking credit card information and using it for other purposes!
Delta088

New Orleans, LA

#2 Nov 4, 2009
I used DirectNIC for many years without problems. However, when the New Orleans company was sold to an entity outside of the US, I transferred my business to another. DirectNIC did not give me any problems with the transfer either, though.
directNIC Angry Customer

Durham, NC

#3 Nov 16, 2009
directNIC "upgraded" their servers last week, apparently without doing any testing or QA beforehand. Ever since this "upgrade" my online store has been down, causing me to lose thousands of dollars - it's been down for over a week now. After not being able to reach them by phone for several days, I created a trouble ticket in their system to which I got absolutely no response. I did research on my own and provided them with the solution in the trouble ticket and they still have not fixed the problem. Unfortunately it is a database issue and I do not have access to the location on their server that hosts the database. After finally reaching someone on the phone, they tell me that it is not a database problem, they are still working on it, blah, blah, blah. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was told that there were no managers in the building and that one would not be available until tomorrow. I never had any problem with my online store until their "upgrade". You can bet that they will be hearing from my attorney! This has gone beyond being a case of terrible customer service, and has reached the point of gross negligence...
Serhiy

Ukraine

#4 Nov 25, 2009
When trying to change nameservers at a site registered with directnic, I am getting an error:

Sorry, Nameserver 1 is not a registered nameserver.

I have created a trouble ticket and they are not responding...
Pissed Off

Harleysville, PA

#5 Nov 30, 2009
Lots of problems since their "upgrade" on Nov 7, 2009. No resolutions, just "we are aware of the problem, and it should be working in a couple of days." Bullshit. After the Holidays, I will be moving all of my domains elsewhere, and am encouraging everyone I know to do the same. This is unacceptable.
extorted

Montgomery, PA

#6 Apr 14, 2010
We have been with directnic for 7 years. About 6 months ago we changed our e-mail address. I went on to directnic and changed my e-mail under "contact information" and "modify contact information" for each and every domain we had with them.
Recently, a domain of ours had expired because we did not get a notice. I was told that they did recognize that I changed my contact but they said each account needed to be changed and offered a link. Here is the set-up, when you click on the contact ICON to update your contact information there are two links - one that says "modify your privacy settings" and one that says "modify your contact settings". I ask you, which one would you use to modify your contact??!! Well, apparently modifying your contact information isn't enough but you have to go in to modify your privacy settings and change e-mail addresses there.
Don't you think if I own 20 domains and paid extra for other services that I would be an important enough customer that you would contact me through my ACCOUNT Contact information??? They never did. Wouldn't you think instead of just watching a bounced back e-mail that you would try the customer under another e-mail address they offer in their ACCOUNT Contact information??? They never did. Because why?..well if they did then they couldn't extort and outrageous fee that they don't even want paid directly through them.
We were told by directnic that the expired domain name was being held by them for 40 days, then after that it will be held by ICANN for 30 plus 5 days. However, they were so kind as to offer that I could pay them $185. USD!!! to get the domain name back!! Here is the best part, they also said the best and only way to pay for that service was to use my credit card through Western Union, add a "note" onto the Western Union payment that says "other billed is directnic.com " then contact their accountant@directnic and let them know when I sent money. Now, if it wasn't bad enough that they had the gall to try and charge me over 12 times what a domain registration normally costs, but I also cannot pay directly and have to go through a third party without an invoice!! Sounds REALLY fishy to me. They have no problem processing my credit card for any other service.
ALSO, there are NO fees listed on their fees page regarding this $185.00 if you expire. There is nothing noted in their Legal page or FAQ page etc.!
So, buyer beware. I do not trust a company that acts this way and now they will lose all our business which totals a minimum of $400.00 per year over seven years!
Praestigium Collections

Columbia, SC

#7 Aug 5, 2010
I fully understand how frustrating problem issues with any provider can be. That said, however, I have been a DirectNIC customer for over a decade, with (at a given time) up to a half-dozen domains both registered with, and hosted by, them. Once again, I've never encountered a problem.

Yes, the company's headquarters (for tax shelter purposes, I feel sure) are now registered as an offshore account. Note, however, that the DirectNIC personnel REMAIN in the New Orleans area. Even during the very height of the Hurricane Katrina debacle, then-New Orleans registration and command operation centers NEVER, for even a moment, went off-line. I know, because I repeatedly checked it myself.

Our accounts remained online, active and responsive, as usual; and the customer service telephone number was ALWAYS answered during this period. For less than dinner for two at a typical family restaurant, you can register your domain name, have said domain hosted AND maintain automatically upgrading POP3 E-mail accounts.

If you can beat this deal anywhere (with Go Daddy, or anyone else), jump on the opportunity. I'd appreciate it if you'd post the name of such an organization here, as well. I'm guessing you won't find such an entity because, as far as my searching has gone to save money in this terrible economic situation, NO ONE even comes close to DirectNIC for value and customer service; No One.

It's vitally important to us that all of our commercial sites remain "on the air," so to speak. DirectNIC could crumble tomorrow - and the world might end in August of 2012, too. As for me, I'm not holding my breath to await these potentialities. I just don't believe they're going to happen.

If you have the funds to throw away on an organization which pays more for its advertising, is more popular with young folks, or for any other reason; by all means, waste away. As for my associates and I, once again, we're staying with DirectNIC!
extorted

Muncy, PA

#8 Aug 5, 2010
To: Praestigium Collections

Regarding the fact that you mentioned "if you can beat this deal anywhere..."

Yes, actually you posted the organization already - we DID go with Go Daddy. We added three more domains to the existing group we already had and are paying a lot less per year. We also have not had any down time and are very happy where we are.

Also, for the record, we waited for the exact time our "expired" domain was ready and were able to get it back for less that $15.00 and not the $185.00 that Directnic wanted to charge us.

Also, after moving all our accounts - we left two there as we didn't want them anymore - talked to Directnic numerous times about deleting the account and NOW they decide to get interested in customer service and can now manage to send to the EXACT SAME e-mail addresses they couldn't find before and we are getting expiration notices EVERYDAY now. They can't get it right and it almost cost us a lot of money just to do a simple renewal that they couldn't handle.

Glad you are happy with them. So, 1 out of 7 customers here on this particular website are happy with directnic - the percentages are not in their favor.
Physician-In-NJ

Newark, NJ

#9 Aug 15, 2010
We've had three business and two personal domains with Directnic for many years ... and aside from a very brief one-time SNAFU with incoming email to one domain, lasting two days ... service and functionality has been stable ... no problems. That includes occasional changes to our registration details.
James Preston

Prescott Valley, AZ

#10 Nov 25, 2010
extorted wrote:
They have no problem processing my credit card for any other service.
ALSO, there are NO fees listed on their fees page regarding this $185.00 if you expire. There is nothing noted in their Legal page or FAQ page etc.!
So, buyer beware. I do not trust a company that acts this way and now they will lose all our business which totals a minimum of $400.00 per year over seven years!
Well actually they do list the outrageous fee of $185 and many other registrars do the same thing. I am not condoning the behavior but am defending that they do have it listed in the fine print. When they implemented the policy back around 2006 or so, I had thought of switching registrars but just decided I would not rely on them reminding me before the $185 fee was applied.
extorted

Muncy, PA

#11 Nov 26, 2010
James Preston wrote:
<quoted text>
Well actually they do list the outrageous fee of $185 and many other registrars do the same thing. I am not condoning the behavior but am defending that they do have it listed in the fine print. When they implemented the policy back around 2006 or so, I had thought of switching registrars but just decided I would not rely on them reminding me before the $185 fee was applied.
Yes,that page was brought to my attention with a link. I completely understand that most registrars charge a ridiculous fee if your site expires. My biggest problem is the fact that they did not contact us before we expired. I am happy that you wouldn't need a company to rely on reminding you but the fact that we travel at least 6 months or more out of any given year, a reminder is a terrific business practice. The funny part is that we left 2 web names with them that we didn't care to renew again. I would love to paste the countless reminders that I have received for those after they lost our business for that very reason. It also amazed me that they were able to send all those reminders to the very address they stated I never updated! I had a minimum of one e-mail per day.

I am very sure there are a number of people out there that have no problem with this company. I stated before that we had been with them for quite some time. I really thought that this forum was for posting your own unique experiences with the company. So, please be sure to post your own experience. You really don't need to quote mine and dispute what I am saying.

Lastly, I thought it was interesting that I sent a letter of complaint to ICANN, a company created to enforce registrar rules and regulations, and they never responded. Later after lots of digging, I found out that one of the board of directors of ICANN also sits on the board of directors for Directnic. Now why isn't that a conflict of interest? Should a company created to uphold registrars' compliancy and to enforce registrar rules - also have a position at one particular registrar company? hmmm, I think that is definitely a conflict of interest. Based on that alone, I wouldn't support a company that deals in underhanded ways.

Stay with them as you wish. I was offering a public service announcement.
Ewic

Madisonville, TN

#12 Jan 13, 2011
I've been with directNIC for about 7 years and they host 5 of my domains. I've never had an issue with any services provided by them.
extorted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,that page was brought to my attention with a link. I completely understand that most registrars charge a ridiculous fee if your site expires. My biggest problem is the fact that they did not contact us before we expired. I am happy that you wouldn't need a company to rely on reminding you but the fact that we travel at least 6 months or more out of any given year, a reminder is a terrific business practice. The funny part is that we left 2 web names with them that we didn't care to renew again. I would love to paste the countless reminders that I have received for those after they lost our business for that very reason. It also amazed me that they were able to send all those reminders to the very address they stated I never updated! I had a minimum of one e-mail per day.
I am very sure there are a number of people out there that have no problem with this company. I stated before that we had been with them for quite some time. I really thought that this forum was for posting your own unique experiences with the company. So, please be sure to post your own experience. You really don't need to quote mine and dispute what I am saying.
Lastly, I thought it was interesting that I sent a letter of complaint to ICANN, a company created to enforce registrar rules and regulations, and they never responded. Later after lots of digging, I found out that one of the board of directors of ICANN also sits on the board of directors for Directnic. Now why isn't that a conflict of interest? Should a company created to uphold registrars' compliancy and to enforce registrar rules - also have a position at one particular registrar company? hmmm, I think that is definitely a conflict of interest. Based on that alone, I wouldn't support a company that deals in underhanded ways.
Stay with them as you wish. I was offering a public service announcement.
Henador

Oviedo, FL

#13 Feb 8, 2011
I've never had any problems with DirectNIC. I've always received good service and support. Someone earlier said that only 1 in 7 said the same thing. It is a well known fact that complainers post and happy customers do not. I am a happy customer, and I love DirectNIC. And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way or manner, other than being a happy customer. I came here to look for promotion coupons to get a discount for one domain's renewal and saw these comments. Now I'm going back to looking for promotion coupons. Bye.
extorted

Muncy, PA

#14 Feb 8, 2011
Henador wrote:
I've never had any problems with DirectNIC. I've always received good service and support. Someone earlier said that only 1 in 7 said the same thing. It is a well known fact that complainers post and happy customers do not. I am a happy customer, and I love DirectNIC. And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way or manner, other than being a happy customer. I came here to look for promotion coupons to get a discount for one domain's renewal and saw these comments. Now I'm going back to looking for promotion coupons. Bye.
I completely know what you are talking about that unhappy people post more but it never hurts to read the unhappy posts, judge for yourself and be aware of certain problems that can happen. It is ALWAYS smart to know any of the downfalls of ANY company. That keeps you ahead of the game. If I listened to all negative comments, I wouldn't have had the surgery I did on my wrist, but I knew what to expect in the worst case scenario and learned from others' mistakes and my recovery was amazing because of it.

So, that is all I am saying, to be aware of potential problems is the best thing anyone could ever do. I understand when people say they were with DirectNIC for x amount of years and never had a problem, if you read my first post you would have seen we did too. All I am saying is when there is a problem, they are NOT on your side and find every loop hole to get out of helping. THAT is THAT. The fact that you have not had any problems doesn't disprove what I am saying. I am saying when you DO, don't expect them to be on your side.

Best of luck to you.
WebTech Design Group

Roosevelt, UT

#15 Feb 23, 2011
I have been in business for 15 years and used DirectNIC for almost all of those years and have always had great service with them.
I have over 150 domains registered with them and am very happy.

Terry Whitsitt, Owner
WebTech Design Group
www.webtechdg.com/
directNIC Problem Child wrote:
Has anybody here had a problem with a company called directNIC that is supposed to be based in New Orleans, LA? They are a domain name registration company and they really have horrible service.
I'm really worried that they now have my credit card information and that they may use the the information in the future for identity theft.as anybody else had problems or complaints with that domain registration company directNIC?
It's really hard to tell where they are... New Orleans or in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.
ICANN accredited? What a joke of a company and I'm going to have my attorney complain as they may be taking credit card information and using it for other purposes!
WebTech Design Group

Roosevelt, UT

#16 Feb 23, 2011
I have my own server and host all my clients there so have not had any experiance with there hosting .
CashBoxHosting Wordpress

Emory, TX

#17 Mar 4, 2011
I fell for Godaddy's low prices years ago with two domains. I figured on saving a few bucks on my $15 Directnic fees.

A year later I received a couple of unobtrusive emails regarding my renewal. I was a little broke so I procrastinated based on my previous stellar experiences with Directnic.

With Directnic I always got an extra month of grace even after expiration. A month later I would get a "last chance" offer to renew it.

However with Godaddy I was shocked to get a bill for over $80 for each domain. I allowed them to expire and re-registered them with Directnic.

Ever since I have felt that $15 per domain was well worth it.

Your domain capital is worth so much. Never let your web designer register it for you and never register it at the same place where your site is hosted.

http://cashboxhosting.com/internet/web-design...
Carol Blake

Asheville, NC

#18 May 23, 2011
WebTech Design Group wrote:
I have been in business for 15 years and used DirectNIC for almost all of those years and have always had great service with them.
I have over 150 domains registered with them and am very happy.
Terry Whitsitt, Owner
WebTech Design Group
www.webtechdg.com/
<quoted text>
I have also been doing business with DirectNIC for about 15 years and have not had any problems with DirectNIC. I have about 115 domains as well. No problem with this company. http://www.mardigrasday.com
lymanduggan

Tampa, FL

#19 Jun 1, 2011
We have been using Directnic for about 15 years and we about 20 domains with them under various hosting arrangements, some free, some re-direct and some active and paid. Over the years I see I have about 20 trouble tickets with them.(they are kept on my file with them) In all cases they were very quick and helpful with understanding of why the problem and how to correct. I have called them 2 or 3 times over they years and they have been patient to talk me through some procedure. I have one domain with a top host in Santa Clara at a much higher price as I need high bandwidth and critical care but actually don't see much difference in performance or support. GoDaddy did hijack one of my .mobi domains and it went to a GoDaddy employee but mysteriously came back to me one day, not a critical domain though and just parked as it uses our trade name.

I understand ownership transferred to the Cayman Islands for tax reasons but other than that I still see the good service they were famous for in the past and I don't understand why they are being flamed here.

Here is my last trouble ticket:

Short Description: sites are down
I have noticed for the past few days that my sites are down
ruaturtle.com
wimolnan.com
marine-electronics.net
marine-tv.org
etc.
We depend on these and other sites for our income.
What is the problem?
Unable to connect by ftp and no websites come up.
lyman
Date: 29-May-2011 (21:21)

Greetings,

Your sites were not down. You were not able to see your sites because the server blocked your IP. Your IP is no longer blocked and you should now be able to see your sites.

Best Regards,

Brian
directNIC.com
Date: 30-May-2011 (13:43)

Hello Lyman,

An IP address may be blocked if there are multiple connections to the domain at one time, it can happen if there are a lot of images on a page or if you are accessing several pages at once.

Thank you for using directNIC.com . We hope this response has sufficiently answered your question.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask or call our support line at 877-856-9598.

Ranel
DirectNIC Customer Support
Action: Reopened
Date: 31-May-2011 (19:08)

Ok that was it, my wife and I both working on a site at the same time and maybe we each
had more than one ftp connection at the same time too. anyway around that?

lyman.
Date: 31-May-2011 (20:39)

Greetings,

In your FTP client settings, you can try setting the number of simultaneous connections to 1 or 2.

Best Regards,

Brian
directNIC.com

If you feel as though your question has not been resolved properly, you may reopen it by using the following form:

AS IN ALL MY TROBLE TICKETS, THERE WAS NO PROBLEM AT DIRECTNIC, BUT AS YOU CAN SEE THEY WERE QUICK AND HELPFUL TO RESOLVE MY PROBLEM
lymanduggan

Tampa, FL

#20 Jun 1, 2011
directNIC Problem Child wrote:
Think undue paranoia here. Your credit card company protects you 100 pct. I have never had a problem in 15 years with Directnic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Orleans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jindal signs marijuana bill 7 hr LeDuped 2
News New Orleans smoking ban: Readers blow smoke abo... 14 hr Pro Rights 1
The Roseto Effect Mon Tony 6
News Louisiana's first same-sex marriage performed i... Sun bacsoldier 2
goddam jews Sun bacsoldier 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - New Orleans, LA (Aug '10) Sun bacsoldier 45
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sun No Justice 20,064
More from around the web

New Orleans People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

New Orleans Mortgages