Hopefuls square off in sole debate

Hopefuls square off in sole debate

There are 8 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Oct 31, 2007, titled Hopefuls square off in sole debate. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

Before a packed house Monday night and with candor and humor, the town's three mayoral candidates squared off in their one and only debate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

Toothpick Tammy

Winsted, CT

#1 Oct 31, 2007
Murphy is perfect for New Milford ... mediocre, visionless, irrationally stubborn, uneducable, an advocate for unfettered sprawl, and the darling of the mindless middle class and those few wealthy who feel guilty that they made their money off the exploitation of the rest of us. *Anyone* will be a major improvement .. just grab someone walking by town hall and show them the door to their new office.

United States

#2 Oct 31, 2007
Pat Murphy inspired 2 major corporations to expand their business in town? Yes, we saw the pictures of her trying desperately to get out in front of the news....what a laugh. Her efforts would have been better spent in inspiring the State of Connecticut to speed up the widening of route 7 and lessenig the burden on local businesses on that route. But her hands were tied as were those of Clark Chapin....

Middletown, CT

#3 Oct 31, 2007
I was against the widening of rte 7 and am against the 'fixing' of Grove and 67. How many accidents have occured at that intersection? My experience (in life in general) is when something is dangerous, people are more cautious, thereby leading to fewer accidents...in this case would be crashes. I predict....with the changes at 67 and Grove, matters will be worse!

New York, NY

#4 Oct 31, 2007
Fay writes: "...am against the 'fixing' of Grove and 67. How many accidents have occurred at that intersection?"
Fay, do you subscribe to the saying, "If it's broke, don't fix it"? How will matters be worse? Flowing traffic with less accidents? or a dangerous intersection that was designed many years ago.
People are obviously not "more cautious thereby leading to less accidents." By doing nothing, there will just be many accidents.
I hope you don't drive, you're scary.

Middle Haddam, CT

#5 Oct 31, 2007
Okay voters, do you want New Milford to become another overcrowded, traffic-congested, ugly suburb, or do you want this town to retain it's rural charm (what's left of it), and have growth only when it's properly planned? There is no architectural review of any of the ugly new retail blight that is going on, and now the current administration want to make Route 202 as ugly and congested as Route 7. Vote and make your voices heard!

New Milford, CT

#6 Oct 31, 2007
When Larry Stillman asked Bob Kostes who does hair I thought it was a joke. I think Kostes thought it was a joke. But no, Stillman said it wasn't and Kostes was pressured to answer. Worse was the moderator told Stillman he had a rebuttal to the answer. I was emabrrassed for Stillman and the waste of time. Later the moderator selected questions from the audience. Why she selected 1 solely directed to Kostes (about mill rates)is beyond me. Select questions that are for all the canidates so we can hear how their answers may or may no differ. Sure was nice of Murphy to get a teary eyed at the end- save it for your concession speech!

Boston, MA

#7 Oct 31, 2007
New Milford? What the hell is that? Who cares about a bunch of goobers that live in a town with no roads?
Long time resident

New Milford, CT

#8 Oct 31, 2007
Pat Murphy has done well thus far. I feel comfortable with her for another term.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Milford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trouble at the top for Hudson City Savings Bank (Nov '10) Aug '15 billc793 19
Grab Bag Challenge for charity at Stop & Shop--... Aug '15 TeleBrands 1
Tenafly Swim Club - What happened? (Jul '13) Jul '15 Begren Jerk 9
dear deer sightings paramus / ridgewood (Aug '12) Jul '15 OTTERSPACE 12
Would the Paramus Park Mall and other malls be ... May '15 Frank Gannucci 1
News Paramus Police Chief Richard J. Cary Announces ... (Dec '09) May '15 Chloe A Cary 5
News H.S. boys golf: Rabin, Saddle River Day victorious May '15 stewart scott 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Milford Mortgages