Jason Burnstein

Hackettstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

I just read in the Twin Boro newspaper that Saint Matthew's is going to have a monstrous 90 foot tall and four feet wide cell tower installed on their property.No thanks to "T-Mobile-Omnipoint" . Neighbors are aghast at this prospect for several reasons. Let me give you a little insight.

I live in the residential neighborhood of Saint Matthew's and have lived here for over fifty years. This is a historic area of New Milford once called Peetsburg and the homeowners here have invested a substantial money into their homes which for the most part are well kept and attractive and enhance the historic flavor of the area. The taxes we pay here are outragious. At one time some of the Center Street buildings hosted a pub,a restaurant, a movie theater,a bowling alley,a bakery,a leather crafting shop,a grocery store, a butcher shop,an antique store. All of those businesses are gone now except for the memories and the buildings have been converted into homes. The construction of the cell tower will detract from the appearance of the neighborhood, and devalue the value of the surrounding homes. Take a ride over to Milford Avenue and West Shore Avenue in neighboring Dumont. There stands a cell tower just like the one St. Matthews plans to erect. It is an absolute eyesore. The only difference is that it has been built alongside the railroad tracks in a run down industrial area of the town. It is still an eyesore. I imagine that this cell tower construction agreement has been motivated by money from the cell company, but it certainly is selling the neighborhood short. Between the appearance of the cell tower and the Volkswagen repair shop eyesore next door, this neighborhood is bound to change quickly. Many people are voicing their concern about the health hazards of such a siteand once the tower is built it won't be long until a mass exodus from the neighborhood occurs and the homes become run down as they will be sold at lower prices to people who probably can't afford them, etc. I'm sure you get the picture... I also suppose this financial venture will surely change the church's tax exempt status, St. Matt's and the politicians of New Milford have sold out our neighborhood. I am outraged. We will all have to live with the consequences of this health hazard eyesore.

Regards,

J Burns
Joe LoPorto

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

I couldn't agree more with this post. I live on Center Street.

There was an article recently in GQ magazine discussing the health hazards. I'm not going to debate the health consequences of cellular communications towers. The point is that, in addition to distroying the aesthetics of this neighborhood the public perception is that they pose a significant health risk. No potential homebuyer would look at my house without seeing this 90 foot structure and in this market, that means my home is worthless.

There is a Town Council meeting on Monday January 25th at Borough Hall at 8:30. We are encouraging everyone in town to attend.

Feel free to check in on this blog site which we just set up: nmcal.wordpress.com .
Ronni Ben-Israel

Medway, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2010

um one thing you forgot to mention about the dumont tower is it's also right next to the school which they just did major renovations on, so if being so close is a health hazard especially to the young since their bodies are still developing, how did the town let it happen

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New Milford Discussions

Search the New Milford Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Cruise Tour Adventures by CruiseOne Jul 14 Carolyn C 2
Ebay: Deceleration of Revenue from Hacking Event Jul 11 ROBERT TAYLOR 2
he ruined the librarys Jul 7 ROBERT TAYLOR 5
Post Office Box #206. It's TIME, Joey. Jul 5 Unphotographic Proofs 1
Lights Out: Tenafly Mayor Orders Family To Remo... (Jan '14) Jun '14 Tenafly Resident 2
Gynecologist charged with sexual abuse against ... Jun '14 pailrider 1
Panchos problem Feb '14 annoyedNM 1
•••
•••

New Milford News Video

•••
•••

New Milford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••