Jo ann Emerson? Good or bad for the 8...

Jo ann Emerson? Good or bad for the 8th district?

Posted in the New Madrid Forum

Tracy and Steve

United States

#1 Oct 15, 2008
Federal Mogul, Malden
Dana Corp, Cape
Brown shoe, Dexter and Bernie
Rowe Furniture, Poplar Bluff
Hat factory, Dexter
Purolator, Dexter
Thorngates, Cape
Emerson Electric, Kennett

Is she for the working class people of the 8th district?
Does the 8th district have the highest poverty level in Missouri? If so why? Emerson maybe? Just asking.
What is she doing for the family farm? Oh yeah, the family farms have declined by how many % since she took office, maybe she didn't do enough?
What about education? Any good news there? Watch and listen to your local news to see.
Is she milking tax paying dollars for nothing? I don't know but I can't see anything good she has done. Can you? If so, please post.
Emerson Supporter

United States

#2 Oct 15, 2008
Tracy and Steve wrote:
Federal Mogul, Malden
Dana Corp, Cape
Brown shoe, Dexter and Bernie
Rowe Furniture, Poplar Bluff
Hat factory, Dexter
Purolator, Dexter
Thorngates, Cape
Emerson Electric, Kennett
Is she for the working class people of the 8th district?
Does the 8th district have the highest poverty level in Missouri? If so why? Emerson maybe? Just asking.
What is she doing for the family farm? Oh yeah, the family farms have declined by how many % since she took office, maybe she didn't do enough?
What about education? Any good news there? Watch and listen to your local news to see.
Is she milking tax paying dollars for nothing? I don't know but I can't see anything good she has done. Can you? If so, please post.
I see we have a new spin doctor on-line. First, JoAnn Emerson is just one out of 435 votes in congress. Secondly, she is on the appropriation committee and the 8th district gets its fair share of Federal dollars for highway and infrastructure improvements, which are important to attracting new business to the region. It is really not realistic to blame her for the many business that have closed--for instance Brown Shoe. The shoe manufacturing business started declining in the 1960's in the United States. Remember International Shoe? As for the family farm I know of no stronger supporter than Ms. Emerson. Economy of scale has taken out the small farms for the most part in row crop operations, if you are not big you just can't make it. Not her fault. Finally, the delta has been the poorest region in Missouri since after the Civil War, I really don't think it is JoAnn Emerson's fault. Anything good? take a ride on Highway 60. Look at the New Madrid Riverfront. It takes an appropriator in todays economic climate to do things like this. Count your lucky stars JoAnn is still there working for the 8th District.
The Farmers Daughter

Moberly, MO

#3 Oct 15, 2008
Tracy and Steve
Your man will not win. You could save both of you some time and let him know this now.Of coarse this is probably your job, so you'll keep posting on all of these web sites,insuring that you have a pay check. But in the end, your man will lose.
Tracy and Steve

Portland, OR

#4 Oct 15, 2008
Not here for any one man! Just asking good questions. Just a regular citizen of the 8th district. Facts are facts, why do people keep voting this lady in when jobs are being lost, unemployment in the bootheel is 7 and 8%. Our children are below average on thier map test in education.
HUH

Cape Girardeau, MO

#5 Oct 15, 2008
Is there really much she could do? The national economy is in shambles, its gonna affect us too. As far as testing goes, maybe we should ask the teachers and/or the parents about that. She can't study for them.
DO NOT

Cedar Hill, MO

#6 Oct 16, 2008
even go there blaming the teachers for MAP scores. The MAP test is a ridiculous measure of what our kids can/cannot do. Until the parents are held as responsible for the children's education as the teachers are, the MAP scores will continue to be low. DO NOT blame teachers who are doing everything in their power to get these kids to perform well. We cannot work for 8 hours a day and get NO help from home and expect miracles. Education is a team effort, and until everyone realizes that we will get nowhere!
Emerson supporter

United States

#7 Oct 16, 2008
Tracy and Steve wrote:
Not here for any one man! Just asking good questions. Just a regular citizen of the 8th district. Facts are facts, why do people keep voting this lady in when jobs are being lost, unemployment in the bootheel is 7 and 8%. Our children are below average on thier map test in education.
I really hate to break these facts down for you but it is really a shame you are so adamant and so misinformed at the same time. The national unemployment rate in September was 6.1%, Missouri was 6.6%. I am not sure how you define the bootheel, but I'd say the 8th district is no better or worse right now, unemployment is a national problem and not just a problem in the 8th district. As far as MAP scores go. First that is a measure developed by the Missouri Dept of Education, and has nothing to do with the U.S. Congress or Ms. Emerson. You will also find a direct correlation between lower MAP scores and the higher number of students in certain bootheel counties receiving free or reduced lunches. However I'd venture to guess that most of the 8th district is on target. The delta region is impoverished, and has been for decades before Ms. Emerson. It starts at the Benton Hills and goes past New Orleans. It is not a problem that can be solved by one person. Bill Clinton developed the Delta Initiative, which Ms. Emerson has supported and participated in. Maybe, like was suggested by someone else, you need to do some homework.
FYI

United States

#8 Oct 17, 2008
WELL with her vote of the bailout she lost alot of votes in this area, and i hope she gets beat like a DRUM
lexa in the netherlands

Apeldoorn, Netherlands

#9 Oct 26, 2008
married to an american and mother of 3 kids born in the usa, with dual dutch-american citizenship, myself born in indonesia when it was still under dutch colonial rule, i find the present us elections a fascinating gateway to what's going on in america.
what i don't understand about your elections for congress is why i can't find a video on joe allen, the so-called 'white obama'.
could you help me?
stacy

United States

#10 Oct 26, 2008
Emerson supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
I really hate to break these facts down for you but it is really a shame you are so adamant and so misinformed at the same time. The national unemployment rate in September was 6.1%, Missouri was 6.6%. I am not sure how you define the bootheel, but I'd say the 8th district is no better or worse right now, unemployment is a national problem and not just a problem in the 8th district. As far as MAP scores go. First that is a measure developed by the Missouri Dept of Education, and has nothing to do with the U.S. Congress or Ms. Emerson. You will also find a direct correlation between lower MAP scores and the higher number of students in certain bootheel counties receiving free or reduced lunches. However I'd venture to guess that most of the 8th district is on target. The delta region is impoverished, and has been for decades before Ms. Emerson. It starts at the Benton Hills and goes past New Orleans. It is not a problem that can be solved by one person. Bill Clinton developed the Delta Initiative, which Ms. Emerson has supported and participated in. Maybe, like was suggested by someone else, you need to do some homework.
Missouri’s Children
Child Population 1,347,212
Children Living in Poverty 256,046
Child Poverty Rate 19.0%

Wonder what it is in the 8th district?

Aug 27, 2008

More Southeast Missouri schools fail to meet targets on MAP test
Not a single district of 11 in the Daily American Republic's five-county area or Butler, Carter, Ripley, Stoddard and Wayne counties made annual proficiency targets in math or communication arts

Jo Ann Emerson on Free Trade

Voted YES on promoting free trade with Peru.(Nov 2007)

#2******Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to globalization.(Oct 2007)*********

Voted YES on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade.(Jul 2005)

Voted NO on implementing US-Australia Free Trade Agreement.(Jul 2004)

Voted YES on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement.(Jul 2003)

Voted YES on implementing free trade agreement with Chile.(Jul 2003)

Voted NO on withdrawing from the WTO.(Jun 2000)

Voted YES on 'Fast Track' authority for trade agreements.(Sep 1998)

PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST THIER JOBS IN THE 8TH DISTRICT TAKE NOTE OF #2

Jo Ann Emerson on Free Trade
Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to globalization.(Oct 2007)

thats means
Federal Mogul employees
Emerson Electric employess
Purolator employees
must I keep going?

She voted NO on assisting workers who lost thier jobs due to them being closed and moved overseas!!

Yes I have issues with this. A CLEAR SMACK IN THE FACE TO ALOT OF 50 YEAR OLD+ FORMER EMPLOYEES WHO ARE NOW STANDING IN THE UNEPLOYMENT LINE (THATS IF THEY ARE STILL ELEGIABLE) BECAUSE THIER JOBS MOVED TO MEXICO. AND GUESS WHAT, EMERSON VOTED NO ON ASSISTING THESE PEOPLE. GUESS WHAT SHE ALSO VOTED
Voted YES on promoting free trade with Peru.(Nov 2007)
Voted YES on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade.(Jul 2005)
Voted YES on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement.(Jul 2003)
Voted YES on implementing free trade agreement with Chile.(Jul 2003)

YES TO CENTRAL AMERICA
YES TO SINGAPORE
YES TO CHILE
YES TO PERU
BUT
NO, NO, NO, NO, TO SOUTHEAST MISSOURI CITIZENS!
stacy

United States

#11 Oct 26, 2008
Emerson supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
PLEASE WATCH THIS NEWS CLIP AND REMEMBER EMERSON IS A HUGE SUPPORTER OF SUBSIDIES. AND ALSO REMEMBER THIS:
Just ten percent of America's largest and richest farms collect almost three-fourths of federal farm subsidies – cash payments that too often promote harmful environmental practices.

http://www.wsmv.com/video/17681289/index.html

WANT TO FIND OUT WHO THESSE PEOPLE ARE IN NEW MADRID? GO TO
http://farm.ewg.org/farm/addrsearch.php...
You are out of touch

United States

#12 Oct 27, 2008
stacy wrote:
<quoted text>
PLEASE WATCH THIS NEWS CLIP AND REMEMBER EMERSON IS A HUGE SUPPORTER OF SUBSIDIES. AND ALSO REMEMBER THIS:
Just ten percent of America's largest and richest farms collect almost three-fourths of federal farm subsidies – cash payments that too often promote harmful environmental practices.
http://www.wsmv.com/video/17681289/index.html
WANT TO FIND OUT WHO THESSE PEOPLE ARE IN NEW MADRID? GO TO
http://farm.ewg.org/farm/addrsearch.php...
Many of these people are my friends and neighbors. These people work hard and employ many people that otherwise would be unskilled and unemployable. Everyone listed is also a good steward of the land and many have received that Conservation Farmer of the Year Award. Thanks JoAnn for helping to keep these people in business and food on our tables.
Jimmy

Guerneville, CA

#13 Oct 27, 2008
glad our tax paying dollars our helping your friends and neighbors, but what about the rest of us that our losing oiur jobs???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Madrid Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Madrid fault 9 hr Agnostic 5
Willy Bill's Mon Haha 5
Prettiest girls Sun Ricardo montobomb 15
Who has a mistress Sun Resident 4
Magnitude 7 Metals Jul 22 Been There Done That 40
Welfare office Jul 22 Been There Done That 5
Evelyns Restaurant Jul 22 Kings Kid 3

New Madrid Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance