First Prev
of 4
Next Last
nmcc mom

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Oct 11, 2008
way to go nmcc band.congratulations!
living in New Madrid

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Oct 11, 2008
YAY BAND
75grad

United States

#3 Oct 11, 2008
They were awesome! Great job to all the students and to the directors, Mr. Owens and Mr Blocker.
NMCC Trumpet

Ballwin, MO

#4 Oct 11, 2008
Yeah, we cleaned up the place today. Came home with 7 awards.

Good job, band!^_^
nmcc mom

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Oct 11, 2008
yay band!we are so very proud of you!
LOW BRASS

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Oct 11, 2008
1st Place- Parade Comp.
1st Place- Field Comp.
Best Drumline- Field
Best Drum Majors- Field
Best Music- Field
Best Music- Parade
3rd Place Best Overall Majorette- Parade

Let's do it again!!!
Big sax

Cape Girardeau, MO

#7 Oct 11, 2008
yep, I was there. NO comparison. I actually feel bad for the other kids. They try and give their all but bless 'em they just ain't got something. I think it has to do with the small size of all the other bands. And that lends itself to what a good job Mr. Owens and Mr. Blocker do in keeping the kids interested and learning. Way to go guys.
Band Camp

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#8 Oct 11, 2008
Butch..........YOU spend WAY TOO MUCH time on Topix promoting YOUR band!!! Don't you have a little one to take care of???? Geez.

Since: Oct 07

New Madrid

#9 Oct 11, 2008
My nephew called me tonight & told me how good they did this year & I for one am darn proud of em!

YAY BAND!!!
Big Sax

Cape Girardeau, MO

#10 Oct 11, 2008
I'm not butch, just a proud band parent
band mom

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Oct 12, 2008
yes owens and blocker keep the kids interested and am so gald they grown our band. they have a group of kids who look forward to competing, football games and yes even class! now if mr. owens is on here promoting the band, who cares! he has every right to do so. he has a wife who also takes care of their little one so he wants to sit on the computer that is between him and his wife!!!!!! great job band and teachers!!!
mr. owens and mr. blocker: "thank you for making band interesting to my child and thank you for taking the time to make our band somehting we can again be proud of!"
nmcc mom

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Oct 12, 2008
that says it all!
band mom

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Oct 13, 2008
NMCC Trumpet wrote:
Yeah, we cleaned up the place today. Came home with 7 awards.
Good job, band!^_^
good job nmcc trumpet!
Actually

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Oct 13, 2008
we came homw with 8 trohies

Since: Oct 07

New Madrid

#15 Oct 14, 2008
Here is the youtube link for those of you who couldn't attend The Charleston Band Comp.
www.youtube.com/user/butchowens
GIVE ME A BREAK

United States

#16 Oct 14, 2008
To all those above post. The NMCC Band has went to crap since Jon Giddens retired. We had more flags, majorettes and rifles than they have in their entire band. Band mom get ur facts straight grown the band NOT even close this band couldnt carry the instruments for the NMCC bands of the late 80's 200+ students strong.

Another thing the marching band's choice of music SUCKS no wonder they dont have that many people anymore. We got the funk LMAO. Go Back to the pride of NMCC SWINGING ON PARADE marching dbl time swinging their instruments and it would bring back the NMCC band members.Until then they are mediocre at best.
GET OVER IT

Jackson, MO

#17 Oct 14, 2008
GIVE ME A BREAK wrote:
To all those above post. The NMCC Band has went to crap since Jon Giddens retired. We had more flags, majorettes and rifles than they have in their entire band. Band mom get ur facts straight grown the band NOT even close this band couldnt carry the instruments for the NMCC bands of the late 80's 200+ students strong.
Another thing the marching band's choice of music SUCKS no wonder they dont have that many people anymore. We got the funk LMAO. Go Back to the pride of NMCC SWINGING ON PARADE marching dbl time swinging their instruments and it would bring back the NMCC band members.Until then they are mediocre at best.
i am so sick of hearing about the good ole days of nmcc band. i'm sure it was easy to have a bigger band back then because the entire school was bigger as in more students. so of course there were more band members. i bet the basketball team was bigger and the football team too.

you say the band has gone to crap since mr. giddons retired and that statement itself is crap. everyone i talk to says how happy they are to see the band growing bigger in the past few years and doing more advanced music and marching and stuff. if they've 'gone to crap', why are they doing so well and winning all these awards? maybe because they haven't gone to crap and are actually improving at least recently.

as for the music i've heard nothing but good things from everyone (except you) about the music mr. owens and mr. blocker choose. give up the funk and the bon jovi songs are all upbeat music that the crowd can get into. the only people who want to hear that outdated song you old folks are always griping about are just that, old folks who are so behind the times they can't appreciate a good funk or rock n roll song.

sure the band back in the day might have been big and did great parades but i'd put good money on the bet that they couldn't march a field show half as good as the bands do now since mr. owens started teaching them. it's really nice to see the band actually moving during halftime and doing something to keep people in the bleachers instead of running to the concession stand.

like i said you old folks just need to get over the past. you clearly don't know anything about marching band, you just know that what the band is doing isn't what you did all those years ago and so you don't like it.

those kids and mr. owens and mr. blocker work very hard and do a great job, and it's sad that you can't applaud them for that or at least let others compliment them on their success without trying to ruin it by griping about how you wish nmcc had never moved out of the stone ages when you were in school. just accept the fact that times change. believe it or not mr. owens and mr. blocker know a little more about marching band than you. so just get over it and stop your whining about that old song. if you can't appreciate the good job those two men are doing and all the hard work they put in, fine. but don't try to ruin things for those kids and those teachers who are doing such great work and deserve all the congratulations for their success last weekend.
Band Member

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Oct 14, 2008
GIVE ME A BREAK wrote:
To all those above post. The NMCC Band has went to crap since Jon Giddens retired. We had more flags, majorettes and rifles than they have in their entire band. Band mom get ur facts straight grown the band NOT even close this band couldnt carry the instruments for the NMCC bands of the late 80's 200+ students strong.
Another thing the marching band's choice of music SUCKS no wonder they dont have that many people anymore. We got the funk LMAO. Go Back to the pride of NMCC SWINGING ON PARADE marching dbl time swinging their instruments and it would bring back the NMCC band members.Until then they are mediocre at best.
Reason the NMCC Band isn't as good as it was:
1. Mr. Giddens is RETIRED.
2. The school is a tad smaller than it used to be.
3.'Swingin' On Parade' is out of print and is nowhere to be found, trust me, we've looked.

And, you know, for a band coming from a school with only 500 kids, we're not that bad. And before you start criticizing what we do, try learning the field commands, they are hard as shit this year. Please don't make fun of us, we try so hard.
agree

United States

#19 Oct 14, 2008
GIVE ME A BREAK wrote:
To all those above post. The NMCC Band has went to crap since Jon Giddens retired. We had more flags, majorettes and rifles than they have in their entire band. Band mom get ur facts straight grown the band NOT even close this band couldnt carry the instruments for the NMCC bands of the late 80's 200+ students strong.
Another thing the marching band's choice of music SUCKS no wonder they dont have that many people anymore. We got the funk LMAO. Go Back to the pride of NMCC SWINGING ON PARADE marching dbl time swinging their instruments and it would bring back the NMCC band members.Until then they are mediocre at best.
I too am proud of our band now.........but it will be soooooooo hard to ever beat Swing On Parade! I would love to hear it played by our band again someday
LOW BRASS

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Oct 14, 2008
GIVE ME A BREAK wrote:
To all those above post. The NMCC Band has went to crap since Jon Giddens retired. We had more flags, majorettes and rifles than they have in their entire band. Band mom get ur facts straight grown the band NOT even close this band couldnt carry the instruments for the NMCC bands of the late 80's 200+ students strong.
Another thing the marching band's choice of music SUCKS no wonder they dont have that many people anymore. We got the funk LMAO. Go Back to the pride of NMCC SWINGING ON PARADE marching dbl time swinging their instruments and it would bring back the NMCC band members.Until then they are mediocre at best.
I've heard 'Swingin' On Parade' before, it's not that great. No one really wants to hear the crappy formal band songs like that anymore. Our approach is to bring the so called 'crunk' songs, and entertain people as best we can. Most people have gotten over 'Swingin' On Parade' anyway, and I think they understand that Mr. O isn't bringing it back anytime soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Madrid Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mikey Wolford 1 hr Guest12 4
Hot but crazy- 1 hr guest 26
Yard Sale 5 hr Hey 1
Legal actions for stalkering and harassing? 5 hr Guest 9
wow the guy in the brown jeep 7 hr Just wondering 1
Sheriff 2016 7 hr guest 285
Wic 11 hr Guest007 17

New Madrid Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Madrid Mortgages