New London Man Pleads No Contest To Fatal Beating

Full story: Wfrv.com

A New London man has pleaded no contest to a charge of first-degree reckless homicide.Anthony Popke entered that plea in connection with the beating death of 27-year-old Nicolas Resch last year.The plea comes ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Jeanie Bernier

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2006

Judged:

My cousin was convicted several years ago when he was 18 years old of a beating death just outside New London. He got life in prison from this same court. I would expect no less of a sentence for Anthony Popke.
Anonymous

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2006

Judged:

i know Popke myself and he is so awesome and kind that he does not deserve to be sentenced to life. Tony couldent hurt a fly now, he wouldent do it again. He has a kid thats only a year or 2 old. i know what it is like to grow up with out a father and his kid shouldent have to go through it. Tony knows right from wrong and he always has. If you would just talk to him you could tell that he is an awesome guy and he should stick around a little longer.
Bobbi

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2006

Judged:

There were many letters that I recived from Tony when I was over in Iraq for a year. WHen I got his leter that told me briefly what had happened I had to call him. When I got ahold of him I had so many questions that he simply said I cannot tell you untill the trial is over. Tony always kept in touch with me and never made a harsh comment about the family of the decesed. In fact there were several times that he wanted to apologize to them but was told he couldent contact them. Don't get me wrong I know what Tony did is totaly uncalled for and that he should have to send a time away. But he does have a small adorable child that won't know much about his father but he will know what is published about him. Why not in say when a judge oks his behavior have Tony go to schools and do public spetches on alcoholism and how it can affect your life that way if he does it once a year he will never forget what he has done but he will also be able to spend time with his child before it is too late.
I love Tony he is like the older brother that I never had, he is always there for you when I need him and anybody else that befriends him.
From a soldiers eyes there might have been people that I have killed and I am really sorry but all I can ask is that you don't let hate become of Tony because death only comes once, hate can last forever and it will blacken your heart.
Tony's heart will never be blackened!
sam zempel

New Kensington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2006

I know tony very well, i went to high school with him and even lived with him as a roomate for awhile. Tony gave me a place to stay when i had no place to go and has always been a good friend to me. He was always a very kind person and helped others out as well. I was shoked to learn that a former roomate of mine was capable of such a thing but i guess thats what happens when booze combines with anger, while that is no excuse I still wish tony the best and hope all will workout with his new child.

take care tony
sam zempel
Justice

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2006

Judged:

This guy killed a man for thinking he was looking at his girlfriend! Life? He should get death. I hope big BUBBA finds him. And he goes through the same suffering that the victim did. As for his child may she never find out what a man her father was. If he was kind, what is mean! Get real people he killed a man!
Pete

Neenah, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2006

Judged:

I just found out last night my former Army buddy Nick was killed. We served in a unit together a few years ago, which recently deployed and returned from Iraq. Though I moved on to another unit and Nick moved on to other endeavors, I would have trusted this man with my life. He was a genuine friend.

The way he died is something I would have expected if he had been captured by terrorist in a foreign country, not from a fellow American that Nick gave eight years of life as a soldier to protect. Nick didn't deserve this. It is my hope that the person who left a footprint in my friend's face bears the same fate as a terrorist would if he were to do the same.

Killing my friend over a girl...
Amanda

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2006

Judged:

Popke deserves at least life in prison if not the death penalty. I don't think someone should be raising a chid who cannot even contol their temper with a stranger. I wouldn't want someone to raise my child who couldn't hurt a fly as you say, but would kill an innocent human being over something so meaningless. Nick does not get any 2nd chances to even have a family or any of the wonderful experiences out of life we are entitled to. Popke had a choice and Nick did not, think about that. Its ironic that Nick was in the army to protect Americans lives and freedoms for someone who ended up taking his life in the end. God bless you Nick.
Bubba

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2006

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
i know Popke myself and he is so awesome and kind that he does not deserve to be sentenced to life. Tony couldent hurt a fly now, he wouldent do it again. He has a kid thats only a year or 2 old. i know what it is like to grow up with out a father and his kid shouldent have to go through it. Tony knows right from wrong and he always has. If you would just talk to him you could tell that he is an awesome guy and he should stick around a little longer.
Learn how to spell you trailer trash.
anon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2007

Tony had no right beating nick ,just for looking at his girlfriend..........what would he do to the person who looked at his child wrong......
Tony deserves the sentence he got
Jessica

Green Bay, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

I think Tony should have gotten more, it isn't like this is the first time that he has beaten someone up and if he didn't go to prison he would have done it again if given the chance. I knew Nic very well and know that he would have tried to talk his way out of it. He didn't deserve what Popke did to him, and I wish he could get more time. As for his child Nic didn't even get a chance to have a baby so Popke should feel lucky even thou I hope that he doesn't have a right to see or be near the baby you never know what he may do next. Once an abusive person always an abusive person!!! Good luck to the woman who stands by his side, I really do feel for you and hope you make better decisions in the future concerning him being around you and your child. I truely loved Nic with all of my heart and soul, and was truely hurt when I got the call that fatal morning. To all of you that knew Nic we knew he was a good man and wouldn't do anything to hurt a fly. We love you Nic and always will!!! My heart is with you where ever you are!!!
Knew Neither

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Look. This animal deserves nothing but the judgment of God and to burn in HELL for such brutality. All the bleeding hearts that say he was such a nice guy and has a young kid....WAKE UP! NICE PEOPLE DO NOT KICK PEOPLE TO DEATH! Nor does the state have any need to lessen the consequences of his acitons because he managed to procreate. He gets to ruin the life of a child in addition to taking a life and to ruining the life of the victem's family. His damage is far reaching and he should NEVER.....NEVER see the light of day.
Friend of Tony

El Reno, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

I have known Tony for many years. He was good friends with my son. I have a younger son and Tony would take him out to hunt crows and rabbits when no one else wanted to "waste" their time with my biy. He taught him gun safety and never said a harsh word to him. Tony spent mant days and nights at our home playing games with us and eating at the table as a family. He is like my son and no one knows the real story of what happened that night. I am sorry that someone had to die, but there are 2 sides to every story and the victim was not the innpcent person he is being made out to be. There were a lot of other things that person did to women and there is alot that will never come out. What Tony did was wrong. But I will love him as one of my own and nothing will ever change that. Don't judge another man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.
Summer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2010

Judged:

to all who have written here.... you have a right to your opinion. but don't judge you do not have that right! dont pretend you are "without sin" express your opionion and leave out the rest. you don't know another mans heart or his intentions, his thoughts or his regrets. "he without sin cast the first stone!!!" People make mistakes! Big mistakes. we all have skeletons in our closets. only too many of us are able to keep our closets closed. and are lucky enough that no one finds out that we are also imperfect humans who sin! there is no excuse for behavior that harms another human, he killed a man, but his intent was not to kill. i laugh at the people who've written here and act like they've never been jealous or defended there friend for being jealous. tony acted on human emotion, an emotion we all have and did something we are all very capible of doing.
like father like son

Shawano, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2011

Watch out when he start swinging cuz he goes nuts? He should be locked up for the rest of his life. But how was his childhood? Could that be the reason he goes nuts when he gets angry.
Friend of Nic

Green Bay, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Axl wrote:
I was his cell mate @ Green Bay Correctional last year..... I seem to know this individual pretty well. He would never do such an act ever again. He was protecting his girl friend from a stalker,(Nicholas Resch).
This is a complete and total LIE! You are very mistaken. You realize you got your information from a killer, right?
Friend of Nic

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

I am so disgusted with all the people that are trying to say a man that killed someone by punching and stomping on them WHILE THE VICTIM NEVER ONCE HIT BACK, is such a nice guy!!!! Yes people make mistakes, we say rude things, we get into car accidents, we have skeletons in our closets that we don't wish to talk about. That does not mean that if we kill someone we should be able to walk the streets again because we wish we hadn't done it. This is not an oopsy, mistake or skeleton in the closet, its a brutal murder! I keep seeing that Tony has a child, well maybe Tony should have been thinking about his child instead of being drunk at 3am. Nic was a good looking, respectful, talented, and kind person. He had women chasing after him (not the other way around). He is missed every day!!!
Dated Nic

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

I know people can do stupid things when drunk..and you can also misinterpret things. Nic was not a stalker. He was far from it. He especially wouldn't bother a woman who is taken, unless she lead him on in some way. Either way...what Anthony did was wrong and like most people know, your actions come with consequences. He knew as he bashed Nic's face with his boot, that he was doing so much damage that it could kill him. Anyone would know that. He took the risk and did what he did. He killed a man. He shouldn't have nothing less than what anyone should get for intentionally killing someone. Nic's face was not recognizable, boot impressions. Anthony knew after he did it that he was wrong and even tried to figure out a way to not get caught. Being selfish again. He didn't even allow for Nic to have a chance with immediate medical care. I know there are two sides to every story...but nothing Nic did that night made it right for him to lose his life. When we dated I was treated with respect by him. Some postings are unbelievable making accusations of a man, who is not even here to defend himself. I know that Nic had a mouth on him...but I'm sure Anthony did, too. Anthony is a coward to spread such nonsense about a man he killed. Anthony is a coward to wait till a man is turned and unaware to take him down. Anthony is a coward to make excuses for what he did. Anthony is a coward for bashing the face and killing a man on his way home. Anthony deserves more than he was given, not less.
Dated Nic

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Anonymous wrote:
The saying, "He couldn't hurt a fly" Do you know what that means? "He knows right from wrong." Are you sure? I think you are seriously confused. And this just tells me you really don't know what Anthony is really capable of. He KILLED an unarmed man...when his back was turned and noone was looking. Read those words out loud. I'm pretty sure he's capable of hurting a fly and he wouldn't do it again....because he feels sorry for himself missiing out on his life....And he knew he was wrong when he did it. Try again at convincing me.
Dated Nic

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Friend of Tony wrote:
I have known Tony for many years. He was good friends with my son. I have a younger son and Tony would take him out to hunt crows and rabbits when no one else wanted to "waste" their time with my biy. He taught him gun safety and never said a harsh word to him. Tony spent mant days and nights at our home playing games with us and eating at the table as a family. He is like my son and no one knows the real story of what happened that night. I am sorry that someone had to die, but there are 2 sides to every story and the victim was not the innpcent person he is being made out to be. There were a lot of other things that person did to women and there is alot that will never come out. What Tony did was wrong. But I will love him as one of my own and nothing will ever change that. Don't judge another man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.
He gave me permission to judge him when he chose to take a life. Nic didn't harm him or his girl friend physically. He was wrong. Son or not....If my son did this...I would give anyone the right to judge. It's a shame Anthony threw his life away this way....but he chose to when he KILLED Nic. Nothing gives him the right nor the right to a second chance when you do something as severe as this. His wrong...nice guy in the past...does not change what he chose to do that day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New London Discussions

Search the New London Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 10 hr Jaimie 6,985
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Mon selfridge 451
Fatal hit and run near New London Jul 15 pete 1
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
2 lost dogs Jun '14 Bear wroblewski 2
WI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in W... (Oct '10) Apr '14 Tealiban faschists 45
WI Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin... (Oct '10) Mar '14 MERCER SCHOOL FACTS 2,233
•••
•••
•••
•••

New London Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••