Five Things To Know Today, Sept. 21

There are 1 comment on the Patch.com story from Sep 22, 2011, titled Five Things To Know Today, Sept. 21. In it, Patch.com reports that:

21.A The National Weather Service forecasts partly sunny skies, a high temperature of 73 degrees, thenA showers late tonight.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Donna Bienkowski Smith

Wallingford, CT

#1 Sep 22, 2011
I am writing because I had a disturbing encounter with Rep. Ernest Hewett of the 39th Assembly, New London. I am a citizen of New London and I was at the high school football game the evening of 9/16/11. I was helping to raise money for the Light the Night Walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. There was a table set up near the concession stand plus I and another volunteer were making our way through the crowd with a clear plastic jug with the paper balloon donation tags with the charity logo taped to the jug. Upon seeing Mr Hewett at the beginning of the fence I said cheerfully “Mr. Hewett how about a donation to the Light the Night Walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society?” Mr. Hewett incredulously said while putting his hands on my shoulders “What? Now let me show you how to do this. You need to speak clearly”“Now let’s do this again.” So I laughed and asked my co-volunteer if I said something wrong and then repeated myself clearly and succinctly to Mr. Hewett . The whole time he was gesturing and laughing at me and looking around posturing. He continued to laugh and turn his head and say “ha ha well that’s better.. for all I know you could be collecting for the KKK”. I said “excuse me? Why are you saying that because I am white?” And he continued to chuckle and say “well ha ha I didn’t say that but…”. A police officer standing next to him then gave me money for the jar to which I thanked him. I then said to Mr Hewett “I am collecting for Pamela Lancaster Pettinari is that good enough for you?” Mr Hewett knew Pamela and knows her family very well. At that point I was upset and left. Is this how an elected state official treats people in his district? I feel Mr Hewett’s behavior was arrogant, inappropriate and crude. At the very least, Mr Hewett owes me an apology and I would expect him to show up to the Light the Night Walk at Ocean Beach in New London on Oct. 5th at 5:30 with a donation. For more information go to www.lightthenight.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Male Servant Mar '15 Denny 2
Review: Cyndi Britt - Independent Stylist at Th... Mar '15 cyndbritt 1
The Stenger Farm Pond Case (Jul '09) Feb '15 Cool4ever18 8
News Sentencing Postponed In Panus Case (Jun '07) Feb '15 JIm 22
News Passero's record undermines credibility Feb '15 doug 4
Local Politics Do you approve of Wade A. Hyslop as Councillor? Feb '15 mandingo 2
Local Politics Do you approve of Martin H. Berliner as City Ma... Feb '15 mike pras 2
More from around the web

New London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]