First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Curious

Kansas City, MO

#1 May 24, 2012
Just curious what the general opinion out there is on union labor? Are Unions still needed? Is Union workmanship of better quality than non-union? Are unions the reason why the US has abandoned manufacturing on US soil? I've heard many opinions around this and was curious as to what you think.
Joe

Western Springs, IL

#2 May 24, 2012
Union Labor... Jumbo Shrimp...Pretty Ugly... Hot Ice... Kind of all Oxymoron's
WTF

Joliet, IL

#3 May 24, 2012
This subject has been beat to death on here ever since I have been coming to this forum. If you are really want an answer , and not just to start a big online pissing match, then i would suggest talking to both union and non-union people and forming your own opinion.Unfortunately this forum is not a good source of information anymore, there seem to be to many people who lie exaggerate , cherry pick facts, or are just flat out nuts. If you truly want an answer please do your homework and you will figure it out. Good luck
Real OHPO

Lansing, IL

#4 May 24, 2012
WTF wrote:
This subject has been beat to death on here ever since I have been coming to this forum. If you are really want an answer , and not just to start a big online pissing match, then i would suggest talking to both union and non-union people and forming your own opinion.Unfortunately this forum is not a good source of information anymore, there seem to be to many people who lie exaggerate , cherry pick facts, or are just flat out nuts. If you truly want an answer please do your homework and you will figure it out. Good luck
I for one will tell you union sucks big time. We got it handed to us by the union. We are to stupid to know better. We are working crazy hours just too lose in the long run. How stupid are we? Our Chief out smarted us dumb officers
lrt

United States

#5 May 24, 2012
Husband in union. Initially, two decades ago, thought the shop having voted it in was a mistake, but took a wait and see attitude. He lost a few individual raises, he being one of the better producers in shop. Time passed, he became supervisor on third shift and the co.'s go to guy to push out/build, repair product for shipping dates. Two things happened by 2009. Economy failed, so followed construction, and as per, orders for co. product. 75% of company laid off, titles,thus pay, thus pecking order for remainpng job descriptions left. Union came in handy. Neck discs blown on out of town repair in 20 degree building. W.C. involved, surgery, great recovery, return to work good as new, strong as ever. Boss flaming mad. Tormenting, aggressive, public verbal abuse used, multiple times daily. Union official stepped in with "no, if you continue, we will sue you very,very bad." Non english first language, but clearly understood. Unions, dues, etc a pain...until you need them...then priceless.
WTF

Joliet, IL

#6 May 24, 2012
Real OHPO wrote:
<quoted text>I for one will tell you union sucks big time. We got it handed to us by the union. We are to stupid to know better. We are working crazy hours just too lose in the long run. How stupid are we? Our Chief out smarted us dumb officers
Dude I do not understand your point. Could you please be more specific about what the problem is? Why are you losing in the long run? Why are you working crazy hours. How did the chief out smart you? What is it that you do? What union do you belong to and what did they do or not do?
lrt

United States

#7 May 24, 2012
P.S. lost about 8% of pay when 3rd shift/supervisor postion lost. Still asked super. questions (blueprint/proper const. method), and points out improper builds...years of experience trains the eye......then lost. 2%, retroactive to Oct or Jan in latest union negotiations, as did everyone. The retroactive payback annoyed me as petty, BUT, he still has a job a d a tiny security with seniority. Again, not all roses, but canned two three years ago if no union if angry owner/boss had his way.
Big Wig

Glenview, IL

#8 May 26, 2012
Unions served their purpose 40 or 50 years ago. They have worn out their welcome with all the greed and corruption. Union NO!
lrt

United States

#9 May 26, 2012
As per, depends which end of the stick you are holding.
WTF

Carmel, IN

#10 May 26, 2012
Big Wig wrote:
Unions served their purpose 40 or 50 years ago. They have worn out their welcome with all the greed and corruption. Union NO!
And how is it that you have come to this conclusion?
Big Wig

Glenview, IL

#11 May 26, 2012
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>And how is it that you have come to this conclusion?
I learned to read in the 1st grade.....Thank you
WTF

Carmel, IN

#12 May 27, 2012
So you believe everything you read?
Working Stiff

Summit Argo, IL

#13 Jun 21, 2012
In todays economy with high unemployment who wouldnt want the right to work? Put another way the right to work at good jobs is really what the country needs to continue down the path to economic recovery. So what does that necessity-more good jobs- have to do with so called right-to-work laws that are popping up in state legislatures around the country? Almost nothing, although you wouldnt know it from all the fantastic claims made from by the well-funded backers of this legislation.
union raised

Chicago, IL

#14 Jun 21, 2012
Just from a small point of view- I am all for our unions. My father worked in 150 and my husband is union. The way I think of it- these unions have helped to feed my family. Where my husband works- yes, the union work is higher quality than the non-union work. They always bid lower than the union companies but then the work has to be done over as it's substandard. Mostly, I am "pro-union" for the insurance benefits!
Not so Sure

Puyallup, WA

#15 Jun 21, 2012
union raised wrote:
Just from a small point of view- I am all for our unions. My father worked in 150 and my husband is union. The way I think of it- these unions have helped to feed my family. Where my husband works- yes, the union work is higher quality than the non-union work. They always bid lower than the union companies but then the work has to be done over as it's substandard. Mostly, I am "pro-union" for the insurance benefits!
I'm not so sure I agree. I too was raised on a union salary; however, since I've been in the workforce I don't see union employees working like my father did years ago. In fact I see more union employees hiding behind the protection of the cards in their wallets. I worked in steel mills and observed union employees sleeping daily on 3rd shift. I've observed union employees watching for non-union labor in their business and time-slipping the company they work for because they felt entitled to work not performed by their union brothers. I've seen the rat out on the side of a business with many union employees unwilling to cross the line because a non-union company submitted proposals that were significantly less than the union companies. This was all happening during a period when our country has seen a substantial decline in US production and profits. Why does the union continue to operate the same way they did in the 1960's? Why do they feel "entitled" because they carry a union card? Why does their work ethic seem so much lower than non-union labor. I think the unions need to wake up and perform an overhaul on the way they approach work here in the US. It's hard not to think that the reason jobs have gone oversees is not a reflection on our government officials, instead; maybe it's our union brethren and their "what's in it for me" attitude. Bring back the union pride!
Working Stiff

Summit Argo, IL

#16 Jun 22, 2012
Right to work has a nice feel good ring, but that obscures what it means in practice. The basic thing to realize is that right to work is not about worker freedom, competitive business climates,fairness or any other lofty claims. It is really about limiting workers collective voices and driving down wages, in other words it ultimately hurts the middle class.
Listen

United States

#17 Jun 23, 2012
The right to work, is a race to the bottom.
Union Nightmare

United States

#18 Jun 23, 2012
Work for a Union trucking company for 24 years. The company is now named YRC. It is former union companies combined under one umbrella through buy outs. The three main union companies are formerly know as Roadway, Yellow, and Holland. YRC claimed broke shortly after forming. The union forced us to take concessions after we voted them down three times. The union felt they know what's best for us. We took a 15% pay cut, gave up one weeks vacation, and lost all future pension contributions from the company. We bitched and moaned to the union that they are selling us out for their own survival to continue to collect their large salaries of 100k and up per year. They kept saying you will get everything back when the company gets back on its feet. Never happened yet. Its been five years now. We just received notice that the pension plan is in the red, we will take approxinnately a 33% reduction from $ 2700 a month to $ 2000 a month, that's for guys who have 25 years of service before they stopped paying into the pension fund. Guys with less than 25 years paid in will suffer higher reductions in their pension. That's if any money is left in it when they meet retirement age. Again the union says don't worry, when the company gets back on its feet that will all change. The union is still receiving their lucrative salaries and pensions, along with the company executives still receiving their large salaries and bonuses. All the expense of the workers. The union allowed this to happen they did not look out for the workers at all when push came to shove. The union sold out 50k workers in my opinion. Unions serve no purpose in todays market place. Its sad, but true.
Sad

United States

#19 Jun 24, 2012
Union Nightmare wrote:
Work for a Union trucking company for 24 years. The company is now named YRC. It is former union companies combined under one umbrella through buy outs. The three main union companies are formerly know as Roadway, Yellow, and Holland. YRC claimed broke shortly after forming. The union forced us to take concessions after we voted them down three times. The union felt they know what's best for us. We took a 15% pay cut, gave up one weeks vacation, and lost all future pension contributions from the company. We bitched and moaned to the union that they are selling us out for their own survival to continue to collect their large salaries of 100k and up per year. They kept saying you will get everything back when the company gets back on its feet. Never happened yet. Its been five years now. We just received notice that the pension plan is in the red, we will take approxinnately a 33% reduction from $ 2700 a month to $ 2000 a month, that's for guys who have 25 years of service before they stopped paying into the pension fund. Guys with less than 25 years paid in will suffer higher reductions in their pension. That's if any money is left in it when they meet retirement age. Again the union says don't worry, when the company gets back on its feet that will all change. The union is still receiving their lucrative salaries and pensions, along with the company executives still receiving their large salaries and bonuses. All the expense of the workers. The union allowed this to happen they did not look out for the workers at all when push came to shove. The union sold out 50k workers in my opinion. Unions serve no purpose in todays market place. Its sad, but true.
I thought unions were strong and for the workers? I guess this story is no different than people hearing the lie that democrats are for the working people. Good luck.
Working Stiff

Summit Argo, IL

#20 Jun 24, 2012
There is plenty of disagreement on the impact of right to work legislation on a states economy. But one clear result is that such laws lead to lower rates of unionization. With a weaker collective voice it becomes that much harder for workers to bargain effectively and bring more balance to labor management relations that are already stacked against them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Lenox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Sep '12) 46 min Princess Hey 870
How Dumb Are Trumptards? (Jul '17) 1 hr Sharky 50
Are the Dems Nuts? 1 hr Appalled 7
Democrats look for hope with Maxine Waters 2 hr Sharky 20
Fire and Fury 3 hr Sharky 308
Trumps Promises Kept 4 hr Appalled 2
Republicans pathetically looked for hope with D... 6 hr Appalled 5

New Lenox Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Lenox Mortgages