First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Go for it

New Lenox, IL

#82 Aug 24, 2012
Hopefull wrote:
<quoted text>It is easy to throw stones at local politicians when you hide behind blogs but many do not wish to spend the time, money, or energy for such a thankless position.
They subject themselves and their family to public ridicule and scrutiny for everything they do going forward. For the $20k a year he gets for the job,not many people think it's worth it. Can't say I blame them.
They CHOOSE to run. The guy has no class, no integrity
Running Idea

Chicago, IL

#83 Aug 25, 2012
Not this election cycle, but the next one, I'm highly considering the run once I learn more about govt. My work schedule is flexible, I don't have the luxury of being retired, but I'm also not in the business of screwing anyone over.

My positions involve:

http://newlenox.patch.com/articles/village-pl...

There's a quote from the chief right there saying he doesn't think the PD needs a new department. I'll agree with him. He say safety needs to be improved. Fine by me. They want more cells, I'll vote for more cells, and that's it. I don't have any qualms with expanding a building as opposed to building an entire new one.

Route 30. I will call whoever it is I have to call to get the road done already. Too many businesses are missing out on revenue due to the never ending construction. Tearing apart the entire road at once, and then piecing it together afterwards was a terrible idea. I don't care how much money it "saved", in the long run, it makes New Lenox a terrible place to drive, and it puts all of the school kids who have to drive near LWC in danger.

Related to route 30, I will never allow New Lenox to be put in that same position again. Road projects are not going to be allowed to tear up miles of road and take their time fixing them. They can do it section by section, and they can finish one part before they start another. Having half-assed gravel driveways to every business from Walmart to Chilli's is not the experience I want to offer people.

The sales tax increase. They wanted Home Rule. They insisted we give it to them, or they'll just give it to themselves once the town hit 25,000 residents.

If we had voted no on Home Rule, we would NOT have Home Rule right now. We only had 24,500 residents according to our last census, which would not qualify us. Home Rule has been a joke of a proposition. A 1.5% sales tax increase, and no mall. No mall, no Home Rule is my stance. I'd immediately work to revert the .5% increase, and I would oppose even the IDEA of increasing it any further. In time, I will find out what can be done to drop that 1% too, but I'm only one vote. At the very least, I would do everything in my power to make sure it does not happen again.

Our annexation water policy. First, that 40,000 gallon minimum has got to go. If someone doesn't use 40,000 gallons of water, then we have no business charging them that. If someone is annexed to the town, and they want to use their well water, then by all means, they can use their well water. It's not my business to tell them what they can water their lawn with. We can't seem to keep the water flowing during tough times in the summer, so I can't be the one who tells people they can't use their well water once they are part of the village.

If it requires that someone installs a filter or something to prevent this contamination they speak of, then I'll enforce that. If it requires their water source be completely separate and have no connection to their LM water, then I'll enforce that. I won't be the one to tell them they can't use their water though.

The electronic sign ban. I don't even know why we legislate that. Businesses say it will help their revenue. They want a sign, they can have a sign. Nobody should have to ask permission to put a sign in front of their business, whether it tells you the weather or temperature or not.

Finally, I'll personally banish every school board member who is raising our property taxes to unreasonable levels. Everyone in New Lenox is going to leave when their kids are out of school if we continue to try and bleed people dry like we are now with property taxes. The house values are decreasing, people are losing money through inflation and job loss, but the government doesn't seem to think it should have to cutback as well. Two new schools was a terrible gamble, it didn't payoff, and it needs to be fixed. This is their mess, and the taxpayers shouldn't have to foot it.
POD

New Lenox, IL

#84 Aug 25, 2012
You have no clue nimnuts. NL has nothing to do with the roads and has no control. go back to bagging at Jewel. Get a life
Nim

Chicago, IL

#85 Aug 26, 2012
POD wrote:
You have no clue nimnuts. NL has nothing to do with the roads and has no control. go back to bagging at Jewel. Get a life
Not direct control, but the office of the mayor is still a very influential position. The state representatives who are deciding the plan for reconstruction could be met with for negotiations and compromises to divide up the construction so that local businesses and schools are not harmed as much.

There was nearly a halt in the construction last year due to budget issues from the state, and if it had halted construction after they initially tore it up, route 30 would have been in a bad shape for a long time to come.
Hopefull

Tomahawk, WI

#86 Aug 26, 2012
To Running Idea:
I think it's great you want to make a difference, but unfortunately much of what you said is not accurate or within the responsibility of the mayor. So before you make that leap into running, figure out exactly what the responsibilities are as mayor. I would defintely keep your day job. But if you want to go for it I would love to see you debate. We need some humor during those boring debates.
Learning

Chicago, IL

#87 Aug 27, 2012
Hopefull wrote:
To Running Idea:
I think it's great you want to make a difference, but unfortunately much of what you said is not accurate or within the responsibility of the mayor. So before you make that leap into running, figure out exactly what the responsibilities are as mayor. I would defintely keep your day job. But if you want to go for it I would love to see you debate. We need some humor during those boring debates.
It appears the mayor is a termed office for 4 years at a time, so I don't think the election is even until 2015. It gives plenty of time to learn more about the specific role of the mayor, what they can and cannot do. You're definitely right.
Hopefull

Maple Park, IL

#88 Aug 27, 2012
My first suggestion would be remove yourself from this type of forum if you want real answers or ask real questions. There is more mis-information on here than anything else. Especially when it gets close to election time. It gets pretty darn funny reading the exaggerations and misquotes they speak to. If you want to learn something, go to meetings and stand up and ask questions there.
NoParty

Mokena, IL

#89 Sep 18, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Lenox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town Shopping 12 min whitey 27
Koch Brothers EXPOSED: 2014 FULL DOCUMENTARY 22 min John Sanchez 4
Sniper 1 hr Neighbor 83
More lies to try and deceive 1 hr John Sanchez 42
eminent domain For Nelson road? 3 hr The Pirates of Lenox 2
So, that pipeline will "Create Jobs" and lead t... 9 hr Survey Says 32
Good roofing company needed (Aug '12) 13 hr pete 11
New Lenox Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web