Goodbye Hostess
hold on

Naperville, IL

#62 Nov 19, 2012
Appalled wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not be so quick to dismiss this information.
Someone I know who was in upper management at Hostess until last Friday, shared that the "investors", acting separate from the management team, were the ones who gave the ultimatum to end the strike or close the doors. He is of the opinion that, strike or no strike, Hostess was not meant to survive per the will of the investors.
He lost his job too and from his inside, non-union position, it sounded to me that even he does not entirely blame the union for this.
Yes but you are talking to Neighbor. He is so anti-union that if the entire upper management team came out and said it is 100% not the unions fault, Neighbor would know otherwise. He is the most arrogant know it all of all time on here, its sickening. Along with his sidekick Professor who says whatever the hell he wants whether there is any truth or not they have made this site a farce for anyone who may have wanted to talk about an issue. I know you are a long time poster as am I, but its becoming hard to stomach the crap anymore.

I will no longer respond to them, unless like today I had to call out Professor for trying to make a point against me, by putting out a statement attributed to me that I never made. There is no sense of fair play or even wanting to hear someone elses opinion. They are hell bent on being correct and knowing everything. And Neighbors habit of getting his rear end kicked in a debate and then declaring himself the winner is so grating its unreal.
hold on

Naperville, IL

#63 Nov 19, 2012
Truth707 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Unions wouldn’t allow Twinkies and Hostess bread to be delivered to the same store on the same truck.
Different delivery routes had to be utilized for the Twinkies and Hostess Bread products. The bakers unions required that each truck had to have a driver (teamster) and a pull-up (BCTGM). A pull-up is the person who takes the product from the truck into the store. Because of these outrageous work rules for all markets across the US and the failure of the BCTGM Union to provide concessions Hostess shut down. These are the same concessions that the Teamsters had agreed to and was noted in the latest Hostess bankruptcy filing.
So is your "friends dad" a liar or a scab? Either way these are the facts and the good authority of your "friends dad" is comparable to the dog ate my homework.
Well I with my own two eyes have seen the small cube van trucks make deliveries to smaller independent stores with only one employee. They state Hostess on the side and the bring in snack products, so either we are not understanding each other or something. I have no idea about bread and snacks needing to be delivered in different trucks. Perhaps these are independent contractors delivering the products?
Union No

Frankfort, IL

#64 Nov 19, 2012
Cracks me up when I see a sign in the front yard of a house stating they are "A Proud Union Home!" Or whatever they say. That means to me, I don't and can't think for myself and are a complete dipshit. Unions should go the way of the blacksmith. Let people work for cripes sake
Bainamania

Frankfort, IL

#65 Nov 19, 2012
Truth707 wrote:
Now the union workers of Hostess have 100% of nothing versus 8% less of something. The union demanded 2 workers on each delivery truck. One was the teamster driver and the other was the laborer to make the deliveries into the stores. Further, Wonder Bread was delivered by one truck and Hostess Cakes in another. If they were consolidated into a single trip that would have meant fewer workers and of course the union wouldn't go for that. With Hostess's transportation and delivery costs being 2-4 times that of the competition it was only a matter time.
As for the CEO's pay, a teamster won't work for $10.00 an hour just as a CEO won't for 100k a year. So in order to get the best person for the job they need to pay commensurate with experience. Even with that being said, the Hostess brand has been on the decline since the 1980's so it should be no surprise that this was coming.
You are so full of right wing, anti-union b.s. it makes me sick. Always blame the worker. It's never the fault of management. Hostess executives helped themselves to massive pay increases while demanding concessions from the workers.
http://gawker.com/5961444/dont-worry-hostess-...
That's the America you want. The Super rich get richer now matter how much they screw up. Yet you defend executive pay and then blame the bankruptcy on evil union workers who are making less than twenty dollars an hour. You are every bit as bad as that clown Neighbor. What are you, a butler or limo driver for a CEO? Why do you feel the need to kiss their asses so much?
Bainamania

Frankfort, IL

#66 Nov 19, 2012
Union No wrote:
Cracks me up when I see a sign in the front yard of a house stating they are "A Proud Union Home!" Or whatever they say. That means to me, I don't and can't think for myself and are a complete dipshit. Unions should go the way of the blacksmith. Let people work for cripes sake
Yes, let people work, for nothing! People should be thrilled just to have a job! I'm glad you think the 40 hour work week, paid vacations, sick leave, health insurance, family leave, etc were all just handed out by big business because they love their workers so much. Dipshit describes you to a tee.
Neighbor

Northbrook, IL

#67 Nov 19, 2012
Bainamania wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, let people work, for nothing! People should be thrilled just to have a job! I'm glad you think the 40 hour work week, paid vacations, sick leave, health insurance, family leave, etc were all just handed out by big business because they love their workers so much. Dipshit describes you to a tee.
Yes, but you're talking back in the 1930's, nearly 80 years ago. How long should a Union member hang onto 80 year ago scenarios? As global competition is upon us in 2012, and increasing, American business continued success is at financial war with 3rd world labor. Ever ask yourself why you & your spouse shop at Walmart? I see Union folk Tee shirts shopping there all the time. Cheaper prices always wins. Labor is pretty much the only cost a CEO & Board can influence to keep alive, and competitive in 2012. Regardless of what Obama says, success gets rewarded in the real world. Just like Hostess, if you cannot be successful with your current business expenses, you fail and close. I get it that the Bakers Union feels screwed, I get that. But in today's market, Hostess cannot succede with it's current expenses is truth too. I get it that these guys look at the CEO's compensation, then again the Democrats made the CEO's compensation a tax deduction, so the cost ends up zero to the company right? My point being, it's foolish to blame CEO compensation alone.
Neighbors Dream World

United States

#68 Nov 20, 2012
Neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but you're talking back in the 1930's, nearly 80 years ago. How long should a Union member hang onto 80 year ago scenarios? As global competition is upon us in 2012, and increasing, American business continued success is at financial war with 3rd world labor. Ever ask yourself why you & your spouse shop at Walmart? I see Union folk Tee shirts shopping there all the time. Cheaper prices always wins. Labor is pretty much the only cost a CEO & Board can influence to keep alive, and competitive in 2012. Regardless of what Obama says, success gets rewarded in the real world. Just like Hostess, if you cannot be successful with your current business expenses, you fail and close. I get it that the Bakers Union feels screwed, I get that. But in today's market, Hostess cannot succede with it's current expenses is truth too. I get it that these guys look at the CEO's compensation, then again the Democrats made the CEO's compensation a tax deduction, so the cost ends up zero to the company right? My point being, it's foolish to blame CEO compensation alone.
So if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that any manufacturing job that can potentially be moved to a third-world country, must pay third-world wages with third-world working conditions to remain viable in the U.S. while the CEO's live like kings. What happened to the trickle down?
Ameritopia

United States

#69 Nov 20, 2012
Neighbors Dream World wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that any manufacturing job that can potentially be moved to a third-world country, must pay third-world wages with third-world working conditions to remain viable in the U.S. while the CEO's live like kings. What happened to the trickle down?
Your not entitled to anyone elses wealth.
Neighbor

United States

#70 Nov 20, 2012
To my "put words in mouth friend" That is not what I stated at all. Are you a main stream journalist by chance? What I stated is a reality check for you to accept, but first you must understand. Why do you & your spouce shop at Walmart? Why are the same goods we can manufacture there at half the price of American goods, and you don't see many American goods there do you? You view the rewards of a CEO monetarily alone it seems. A CEO works 80+ hours a week, gives up their family time, never see's the kids, never coach's little league, etc... There is a huge price paid by these guys that you ignore. I am not saying anything close to your inferrance at all. Re-read my post 3 or 4 times and you will get it.
My Man Mitt

Merrillville, IN

#71 Nov 20, 2012
Neighbors Dream World wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact of the matter is that people have to adjust to the changing world. If we are going to have free trade throughout the world, how do you expect American companies to exist while foreign companies have much lower costs of operation? Are Americans willing to pay much higher prices here to justify those higher costs of business? Nope.

People need to get new skills to find jobs in this type of economy. I know that is tough for a 50 year old manufacturing worker to do but it's the world we live in.
Okthan

United States

#72 Nov 20, 2012
I'm non union
I am paid for 40 hours a week on salary
I work 50-60 hours a week
I get no sick or personal days
I get one week of vacation, limited to certain months of the year, after 5 years of full time employment

I am looking for other jobs of course but I'm glad I can at least pay the rent in my studio apartment and put gas in my 23 year old car.

I am the guy the anti-union people pretend does not exist, however my numbers are many.
John Sanchez

Addison, IL

#73 Nov 20, 2012
Ameritopia wrote:
<quoted text>
Your not entitled to anyone elses wealth.
What you're really trying to say is that they're not entitled to what someone else scammed and stole.

What the hell entitles a CEO to fatten an already obscene compensation package with what he compels line workers to give up, as they are reduced to subsistence level toil? It is fascism run amok and it is an existential threat to this society.
Neighbor

United States

#74 Nov 20, 2012
Okthan... Good for you. Keep looking, learn everything you can while there, and like most Americans, use this job as a stepping stone to bigger & better ones. I started out literally with a mop & broom, with night school and a lot of hard work, I ended my stay there as a CIO with 100+ employees repoting to me at 40. I have owned two businesses since (small ones). I have managed Union & non-Union. Great people on both sides, and some bums on both sides too. What did I find most frustrating? A lot of Union required and no common sense work practices. Simuliar to the Hostess thing, where they must use different trucks for Bread and Snacks, stuck paying two drivers & two helpers going to the same places.
Appalled

Joliet, IL

#75 Nov 20, 2012
Neighbor wrote:
I ended my stay there as a CIO with 100+ employees repoting to me at 40.
That was carefully worded. Why did you leave there?
Truth707

Mokena, IL

#76 Nov 20, 2012
Bainamania wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of right wing, anti-union b.s. it makes me sick. Always blame the worker. It's never the fault of management. Hostess executives helped themselves to massive pay increases while demanding concessions from the workers.
http://gawker.com/5961444/dont-worry-hostess-...
That's the America you want. The Super rich get richer now matter how much they screw up. Yet you defend executive pay and then blame the bankruptcy on evil union workers who are making less than twenty dollars an hour. You are every bit as bad as that clown Neighbor. What are you, a butler or limo driver for a CEO? Why do you feel the need to kiss their asses so much?
I suggest you reread my posts as I have said that there is enough blame to go around and that Hostess has been in decline for years. True I'm no fan of unions and that's because unions as a whole have proved to be a failure for the past 40 years. Just look at the industries that have vanished or have been greatly diminished because of unions; agriculture, steel, transportation, food service, and the list goes on. And who gets hurt in the end? It's membership.

The financial crisis that Illinois is in has a lot to do with bloated union jobs/pensions. That falls in the laps of the dems who have been in control of the legislative for 28 of the past 30 years.

The link you provided (think progress) is not a credible source for unbiased information. Your reply is quite angry. My advice is to quit watching MSNBC as the scent of Rachel Maddow's hoo-ha is driving you crazy.
Truth707

Mokena, IL

#77 Nov 20, 2012
Okthan wrote:
I'm non union
I am paid for 40 hours a week on salary
I work 50-60 hours a week
I get no sick or personal days
I get one week of vacation, limited to certain months of the year, after 5 years of full time employment
I am looking for other jobs of course but I'm glad I can at least pay the rent in my studio apartment and put gas in my 23 year old car.
I am the guy the anti-union people pretend does not exist, however my numbers are many.
I see people out there like you everyday my friend. Here's a few tidbits of advice.

What's the long term benefit for you to stay with that company? Find out what needs to be done in order to advance. If nothing then get an exit strategy. Don't be complacent. You're working 50-60 and getting paid for 40. Is 10-20 hours you're giving them worth what they're paying you? If not find a lower paying job with less hours and invest the 10-20 hours to improving your position. Also look into going back to school. Good luck!
Neighbor

United States

#78 Nov 20, 2012
Appalled wrote:
<quoted text>
That was carefully worded. Why did you leave there?
Outsourced all IT to IBM. Hate it when that happens! Before you ask, IT was non-union....
Factcheck

United States

#79 Nov 20, 2012
Neighbor wrote:
Okthan... Good for you. Keep looking, learn everything you can while there, and like most Americans, use this job as a stepping stone to bigger & better ones. I started out literally with a mop & broom, with night school and a lot of hard work, I ended my stay there as a CIO with 100+ employees repoting to me at 40. I have owned two businesses since (small ones). I have managed Union & non-Union. Great people on both sides, and some bums on both sides too. What did I find most frustrating? A lot of Union required and no common sense work practices. Simuliar to the Hostess thing, where they must use different trucks for Bread and Snacks, stuck paying two drivers & two helpers going to the same places.
Nice post except I've been in grocery for 25 years and wonder/hostess drivers do not have helpers outside of the occassional Walmart. They do, however, each work 10-14 hour days. Should it all be one truck that makes drivers work around the clock?
Your post was awesome, seriously, I just had to point out this one mistake
Truth707

Mokena, IL

#80 Nov 20, 2012
Factcheck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice post except I've been in grocery for 25 years and wonder/hostess drivers do not have helpers outside of the occassional Walmart. They do, however, each work 10-14 hour days. Should it all be one truck that makes drivers work around the clock?
Your post was awesome, seriously, I just had to point out this one mistake
Here's the interview with the CEO of Hostess on CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/20/news/companie...

He clearly stated the issue of separate bread/cake drivers as well as separate laborers to make the deliveries into stores.

If his statements were incorrect the union would be all over this to refute the companies position.

Factcheck Mate
Neighbor

United States

#81 Nov 20, 2012
I understand the Teamsters control the Truck drivers, not the Bakers Union too.

Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Lenox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRUMP is a JAGOFF 54 min me me 52
Sanc Cities Fall In 3 hr Border Patrol 1
Where are the Marches 4 hr Trump U 27
News Vito and Nick's II: Now In a Supermarket Near You (Nov '11) 4 hr pizza pete 28
Last Post Wins (Sep '12) 7 hr Izzy-_- 813
Just Curious....Does anyone else here pay their... 20 hr Don Cornelius 9
Trump-another stupid lie:this one about sweden 20 hr Bugsinmypanties 2

New Lenox Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Lenox Mortgages