Former Chicago Ridge police chief's pay soared under disability deal

Sep 18, 2012 Full story: Chicago Sun-Times 252

Baldermann walked away with disability pay of $129,192 a year - nearly $20,000 more than he made as police chief for the southwest suburb Baldermann, 46, is due to collect more than $2 million in disability pay by the time he turns 60 for the back injury he reported suffering while loading a body into a police van four years ago, After he turns 60, ... (more)

Read more
TheresMore

New Lenox, IL

#190 Sep 30, 2012
NL RESIDENT wrote:
<quoted text>
I can just see it now...TIM BALDERMAN'S Union School".
Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
TheresMore

New Lenox, IL

#191 Sep 30, 2012
or maybe

BALDYs uSchool

TB uNion
SLEEPY

Chillicothe, IL

#192 Sep 30, 2012
For anyone to be in a situation to protect and serve gets fat while the public starves,will tell me that there is a lot of no class muthas in the goverment and unions scaming and revamping the system ,old time state of will, I starve you starve .
fix it

New Lenox, IL

#193 Oct 1, 2012
TheresMore wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes....outrageous isn't it --$127,000 with ZERO experience...
And, on top of that, Education is TBs 2nd choice... so, guess what, IT's EASY...all you have to do is go get your Masters (type 75) in education and you can "GoBeA" superintendent! Wonder if TBs Bachelor Degree is in Education -- BET NOT!
Yes, WE, the tax payers, local (property) and state tax payer dollars funds public education.
(although, the state is not contributing near what they should be & haven't for at least 2/3 years)
A Type 75 requires two years full time teaching experience. Where did get the two years teaching experience? Shouldn't Unions board members ask him this?

And remember, he never used any vacation time while chief of police since he was able to accumulate so much to spike salary, yet was able to fulfill educational requirements that all students would have to fill? He was able to go to school, teach full time, be chief of police, be mayor, and NOT us any vacation? WOW!

Why would Sue Lafferty do a great investigative piece on Mike Smith, a great piece on the nepotism at Union Schools, and give TB's actions a pass?

Why would the Patch give TB time to defend himself, yet they not ask any questions?

Where was Scott Slocum on his interview, or are they all inTIMidated by him?
disabled poor

Huntley, IL

#194 Oct 1, 2012
I think at the next ribbon cutting ceremony, all disabled people of Chicago Ridge and New Lenox should assemble...in wheel chairs, with crutches, with chemo stunts on their arms...and show a sign for how much they get in TRUE disability.

Time to shame some of these public officials.

Can you imagine a Portillo's grand opening being marred by the true showing of how disgusting this whole scam is?
jbob

Oak Lawn, IL

#195 Oct 1, 2012

Tribune July 16 2010

Shortly before Tim Baldermann retired as Chicago Ridge's police chief, the town boosted his salary by more than $70,000, handing the 44-year-old as big a paycheck in retirement as he earned full time on the police force.

The deputy police chief, who sat on the pension board, received a similar deal. As it did for Baldermann, the town added Dennis Kapelinski's unused vacation time to his final salary -- in exchange for opting out of insurance coverage -- and gave him a 20 percent raise just before he retired, documents show.Baldermann, who also is New Lenox's mayor, saw his police pay -- including 100 days of unused vacation time -- jump from about $127,000 to $199,000 while Kapelinski's salary went from $105,000 to $188,000, according to village documents. Their pension benefits are calculated using final salaries.
Stop

United States

#196 Oct 1, 2012
your all going to vote for him and the rest of failures again. Quit kidding yourselves.
Fix it

New Lenox, IL

#197 Oct 1, 2012
jbob wrote:
Tribune July 16 2010
Shortly before Tim Baldermann retired as Chicago Ridge's police chief, the town boosted his salary by more than $70,000, handing the 44-year-old as big a paycheck in retirement as he earned full time on the police force.
The deputy police chief, who sat on the pension board, received a similar deal. As it did for Baldermann, the town added Dennis Kapelinski's unused vacation time to his final salary -- in exchange for opting out of insurance coverage -- and gave him a 20 percent raise just before he retired, documents show.Baldermann, who also is New Lenox's mayor, saw his police pay -- including 100 days of unused vacation time -- jump from about $127,000 to $199,000 while Kapelinski's salary went from $105,000 to $188,000, according to village documents. Their pension benefits are calculated using final salaries.
So how long did he go without a vacation? 8 years? And during that time, he went to school, he went on trips each year per child to Europe per press releases, he served as village board member, school board member,

He would not get re-elected; this his call to discuss term limits now.

This has been tied up in court or two years now.
jbob

Oak Lawn, IL

#198 Oct 1, 2012
On salary, with vacations and sick days ? Guess he never missed a days work. No oversight or accountability in the ridge
FYI

Wheaton, IL

#199 Oct 1, 2012
jbob wrote:
On salary, with vacations and sick days ? Guess he never missed a days work. No oversight or accountability in the ridge
Someone(s) else too....yep. Look a little deeper Woodward and Bernstein.
TheresMore

New Lenox, IL

#200 Oct 2, 2012
fix it wrote:
<quoted text>
A Type 75 requires two years full time teaching experience. Where did get the two years teaching experience? Shouldn't Unions board members ask him this?
And remember, he never used any vacation time while chief of police since he was able to accumulate so much to spike salary, yet was able to fulfill educational requirements that all students would have to fill? He was able to go to school, teach full time, be chief of police, be mayor, and NOT us any vacation? WOW!
Why would Sue Lafferty do a great investigative piece on Mike Smith, a great piece on the nepotism at Union Schools, and give TB's actions a pass?
Why would the Patch give TB time to defend himself, yet they not ask any questions?
Where was Scott Slocum on his interview, or are they all inTIMidated by him?
Sue Lafferty disability pension investigative work: Susan Lafferty writes for the South Town which is actually the Sun Times. The Sun Times recently covered the disability pension fiasco, correct?. And, if I'm not mistaken, Susan Lafferty covered the disability pension fiasco in 2010 for the South Town - not sure, but I don't think you could read their articles online at that time.

The Patch -- mysterious isn't it?
Slocum did allow TB time to dance just a bit "too long."
TheresMore

New Lenox, IL

#201 Oct 2, 2012
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone(s) else too....yep. Look a little deeper Woodward and Bernstein.
Help us out.... we need a little more info!
dont remember

West Chicago, IL

#202 Oct 2, 2012
TheresMore wrote:
<quoted text>
Sue Lafferty disability pension investigative work: Susan Lafferty writes for the South Town which is actually the Sun Times. The Sun Times recently covered the disability pension fiasco, correct?. And, if I'm not mistaken, Susan Lafferty covered the disability pension fiasco in 2010 for the South Town - not sure, but I don't think you could read their articles online at that time.
The Patch -- mysterious isn't it?
Slocum did allow TB time to dance just a bit "too long."
The Chicago Tribune did the July 2010 pension fiasco article. Was there another in the Southtown?
jbob

Oak Lawn, IL

#203 Oct 2, 2012
Southtown, last week
Mahoney

Libertyville, IL

#204 Oct 3, 2012
ridge guy wrote:
Please hold those Chicago Ridge Trustees accountable for voting to enrich Tim Baldermann and John "Jack" Lind with our Chicago Ridge Tax Dollars. They fought against our Rebate to pay for the Huge Pension/Disability payoff for their buddies.
Vote Them Out In April 2013 and again in April 2015
Everyone seems to agree that the mayor and trustees should not be re-elected, the problem is that they always run in opposed so they will stay in office. Hopefully some residents decide to run against these guys.
Mahoney

Libertyville, IL

#205 Oct 3, 2012
Appalled wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hold On, is it true, as this poster states, that you can trade your insurance coverage for the opportunity to add your vacation pay to your last day salary? I have never heard of this. I believe that adding your vacation/sick pay to your ending salary is 100% not allowed and if someone is going to throw facts out here, they should be accurate.
He is now suing the village to get insurance.
NL RESIDENT

Mokena, IL

#206 Oct 3, 2012
Who's up for re-electon in April?
Stop

United States

#207 Oct 3, 2012
You people will vote the same crooks in again You cant help yourselves. Stop this nonsense. You are all kidding yourselves.
Hopefull

Chicago, IL

#208 Oct 3, 2012
There were others that ran against the incumbents and they lost. Not all races are not unopposed. The mayor's was but he is not up this time. Smith, Tuminello and Bowden are. And Bowden is the only one that ran against Baldermann for mayor. But Smith has run for mayor before and lost.
frustrated taxpayer

Evergreen Park, IL

#209 Oct 5, 2012
Im frustrated.
The Chief of Police position was an administrative job aka desk job. Why was he picking up a dead body in the first place?
What is the difference between a Chief of Police and School Superintendent when it comes to someone with physical limitations? Neither one requires physical exertion in order to perform the job.
I don't live in Chicago Ridge so this is not going to effect me personally but the integrity of the mayor in the village I live in does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Lenox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Willy, Allen & Nicky in it for the teachers 2 hr upsetresident 2
Ron Sly for Mayor? 3 hr swimmy 32
Poll Mayoral Election 3 hr swimmy 122
NEWCOMERS, PLEASE read this important info FIRST! 4 hr Jus Sayin 115
A small write up on the trustee election. 4 hr JHow 1
If you voted for Rauner you can bend over too 5 hr Jus Sayin 134
Gay Activist Protestors Have Egg On Their Face 7 hr Neighbor 17
New Lenox Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web