le petite day care
NLmom

Zion, IL

#1 Nov 3, 2009
Im looking for a good daycare for my little one. I was looking into Le Petite...Does anyone send their kids there or know of any decent places?
NLmom2

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Nov 3, 2009
Try Living Waters on Cedar Road.
love redbox

River Grove, IL

#3 Nov 3, 2009
a friend just started sending her kids there. seems to be happy, both mom and kids! Heard by ranch frostie is real good too, but i believe their full.
Jennifer

Mokena, IL

#4 Nov 3, 2009
My son used to go there.

He doesn't any more.

If I laid out the reasons, the people on this board would overlook the real gripe and focus in on the pettier reasons, so I will just say I wasn't pleased.
hmmmm

River Grove, IL

#5 Nov 4, 2009
you didnt really answer this persons question. What was your reason for leaving maybe it will help someone make a choice, a choice, oh thank you no way will i send my child, or oh, that may have abeen a problem for you but not one for me. Help the person out...
NLmom

Zion, IL

#6 Nov 4, 2009
I am totally open to your reasons why don't like the place. What happened?
Jennifer

Mokena, IL

#7 Nov 4, 2009
You're right, I didn't answer the question. Sorry. I saw this thread and couldn't resist posting something because I was really unhappy there (not at first, just the last 3 months). Since I don't hide behind another name, I'm sure the folks at LaPetite will know who I am if they read this, and I'm not out to get anyone in trouble. I'm sure they'll know by my first post so....

My son was there for pre-school, not daycare. So what you are looking for might be different. If you just want a babysitter, I'm sure they would be fine. My children are babysat by their grandmother; I sent him to pre-school to learn things. His "class" would frequently be mixed with the little kids because they are low on numbers (being new and all). I don't feel that he did much except play. I'm an educator and understand perfectly well that children learn through play, but this was different.

Also (due to numbers again maybe?) the front desk was frequently not staffed during pick-up/drop-off (this was told to me by others - I rarely picked up or dropped off so this is just what I've heard). There is a code to get in the main front door, of course, but after that it was easy to just walk right in with no one at the desk.

His first teacher there was great, but she left. When she left, the daily "Car Talk" notes about what they did in class stopped coming. His end-of-the-week report, which was supposed to tell me the things my son particularly enjoyed, was a photocopied generic for the whole class. My son was only there 2 days per week, so many of the things on the paper were not things he even DID. Try clarifying that with a 3-year-old!

I frequently did not receive paperwork or know about events because they would be posted in the center, which was partly my fault because I was working too many jobs and had different people picking my son up. I won't blame them for that one entirely. However you should know that if you are not going to be the one regularly picking up your child.

For example, I didn't find out about a recital until the day-of. This was clearly a problem for many parents because we got a flier that day which had in small print "this was posted in the Center and in the newsletter." Why would you put that on a flier unless you knew several people were clueless? My child was supposed to dress up and they expected that he would tell me (at age 3). I felt guilty afterwards and searched through every piece of paper to make sure I hadn't missed something - I hadn't. He told me that his teacher said the songs were a "secret." I don't believe anyone should tell a small child that *anything* is a secret.

But on many occasions I would get something and the day of the week and date would not match, there would be very basic spelling/grammar errors, etc.(yes I know this is petty) His teacher wore jeans and a shirt that showed her belly during our P-T conference, and chewed gum the whole time.(also petty but I wish I could get away with that in my P-T conferences!)

All of these things were just annoying until...

One of his last days there, he had an injury early on in the day and I never received a phone call. He nearly lost 2 fingernails and it took almost 4 months for the marks to go away. My husband and I really agonized over what to do, but decided that in the end it wasn't worth making a big deal because he was withdrawing from the school anyway.

They do have a lot of cute special events there. The outdoor equipment is nice and new, and the playground is all fenced in securely. The staff were never *unfriendly.* I'm trying to give a balanced picture here but it's hard.
NLmom

Zion, IL

#8 Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for the insight. One of the reasons that place caught my attention was because it looks newer and nicer than the other centers in the area but I guess that doesn't matter if the place isn't being ran properly. Anyone know anything about Kindercare or Mary Sears?
pinklady

Berkeley, IL

#9 Nov 5, 2009
I have heard nothing good about Mary Sears, yet that place seems to be booming whenever I drive by.

My daughter currently attends Kindercare in New Lenox, and I really like it (my son went there too through kindergarten). However, it is an older facility and definitely not as fancy. But the director, Kathy, has been there for over 25 years. It's just got a nice, family feeling to it.

I have also heard good things about Tiny Treasures on Cedar, but they were filled the days I needed, plus they are a little pricey! Nice facility tho, and open 6:30-6:30 instead of the usual 6-6 (which is helpful for us commuters).

Living Waters in Manhattan also is nice, my son went there for preschool. A little disorganized at times, but I was happy with them as well.

Only place I didn't like was the Ivy League program in New Lenox (not even sure if they still operate it, it's linked with the Montessori program which I had no problem with, I just didn't like how the Ivy League program was run).

Since: Nov 09

Zion, IL

#10 Nov 6, 2009
I have never even heard of Montessori/Ivy League...wheres that at?
pinklady

River Grove, IL

#11 Nov 6, 2009
Here is the link for the Ivy League/Montessori:
http://www.ivyleagueafterschool.com/montessor...

There was a previous thread on Ivy League:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/new-lenox-il/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Lenox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
breaking news!!!!! 16 min Monsieur 600 Postes 270
10 ideas Republicans loved until Barack Obama b... 23 min Sharky 8
The Solution to Health Care 36 min Skankys Boss 42
Trump making it great 8 hr MPMMB 36
What can we do to get American's off of food st... 8 hr curse of the dumb 71
What happened to the Democratic Party? 10 hr Jus Sayin 2 U 144
Looking for a good travel baseball team. 10 hr Baseball 4

New Lenox Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance