Boy electrocuted trying to dry off horse with a fan

Jul 9, 2010 Full story: Chicago Sun-Times 87

An 11-year-old boy was electrocuted by a fan he turned on to dry a horse in his family's barn in New Lenox Township.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
something might happen

Alsip, IL

#2 Jul 11, 2010
I think in the country/aka farm setting children work at a younger age than i say in a city. As a city girl, i would not allow my child to wash a horse. They could be kicked. Something could happen. I think 11 yo was too young to also be in charge of washing and using the fan ( aka farm equipment). 11 y.o. can be able to feed and wash a family pet, no fan involved. My boys were not allowed to use the Lawn mover until 8th grade. Something might happen. My kids do not use the stoveoven when i am not home. micro only. The hair straightners, dryers are only in the bathroom and not in their bedroom. Kids are forgetful and might leave them on & burn the house down. The parents might of not used the best judgement on what an 11 y.o. could do. I feel sorry for the family.
disgusted

Newark, IL

#3 Jul 11, 2010
Truth Hurts wrote:
I think the parents should stop watching whatever FOX has on for them and watch their children. Plus, that boy should have known better. YOU DO NOT RUN A FAN IN THE PRESENCE OF STILL WATER!! WHAT AN IDIOT! I AM VERY ANGRY AT THE PARENTS FOR BEING LAZY! WHAT IS WRONG WITH WILL COUNTY? I DON'T GET IT! YOU SAY YOUR COUNTY IS THE GREATEST THING, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE IN THE WORLD. YET, THESE LETHAL ACCIDENTS ARE COMMONPLACE! I DON'T GET IT. Someone explain this to me. I don't understand this insane place.
What's wrong with this country? People like you, that's who.
What kind of person would call that child an idiot and blame the parents after they just lost their son! Don't you think that they feel bad enough without socially inept people making them feel worse? Unless you're a flawless person who has never made a mistake in your life then you need to shut up, mind your own business and crawl back under the rock that you live under.
Unincorporated

Frankfort, IL

#4 Jul 11, 2010
Don't you dare go there you piece of filth. This was an accident. The boy was doing his chores. Not climbing a light pole. You make me sick. I'll bet Chase forgives you though.
sicko

Frankfort, IL

#5 Jul 11, 2010
initially I was not going to respond to this idiot but, I must. You are truely sick.
something might happen

Alsip, IL

#6 Jul 11, 2010
It was worded a bit wrong. An 11 year old is just 11. Electric and H20 . Poor boy only 11. He was with his younger sibs. I can not even feel the way the family feels about this. Horrible. They are in my prayers. My ? is aren't farms checked for safety like a Business or Restaurant or what ever? I would think a big fan would be out of reach and with a switch ? Prayers for the family. Maybe this will help someone else? God Bless them all.
Morons

Frankfort, IL

#7 Jul 11, 2010
Bad enough the first sick bastard posted then the second post responds with a ridicules post.
something might happen

Alsip, IL

#8 Jul 11, 2010
That would be me, city girl. Horse, that kicks and has teeth...? I might be a little bit 911, something might happen., but kids are kids and they make mistakes. I am overly protective ( the kids tell me that). That's My Job, i am Da Mama! Again my Sympathy for the Family., his friends and Community. My prayers for them.
Truth Hurts

AOL

#9 Jul 11, 2010
something might happen wrote:
That would be me, city girl. Horse, that kicks and has teeth...? I might be a little bit 911, something might happen., but kids are kids and they make mistakes. I am overly protective ( the kids tell me that). That's My Job, i am Da Mama! Again my Sympathy for the Family., his friends and Community. My prayers for them.
Two people with logic and common sense. We are both in Hickory Hills! Trust me, I have no fear whatsoever of my town. Hickory is very safe, clean, well-maintained, low crime, culturally diverse, anti-racist, third-party town. I am very proud of Hickory Hills, Justice, Bridgeview, Willow Springs, and Bedford Park. There aren't many towns like them.

To you, you are on my side. Don't let the right-wing lies and hate get you. I have been trying to convince some rural area users that liking Bush is wrong. Stand up for yourself and what is right. Parents need to be overprotective sometimes for the child's own good. A child may wonder why he or she cannot do something. Then, if the child has a brain, as an adult thanks the parents for raising them the right way. It's common in Hickory Hills, and I wish it was more common in the rural towns. My deepest sympathies to the family. I mean that. Does anyone know (accident or not) how nasty that was? I am glad to get opposition on this forum because I don't friends from Will County. I simply want to teach people how to use their brains.
Answer

South Holland, IL

#10 Jul 11, 2010
Just keep Chase (God Bless Him)in your thoughts and prayers. AMEN
Whoa

Gary, IN

#11 Jul 12, 2010
More kids need to be working on farms and places like this. This boy probably did this job hundreds of times. It was an accident! Just make sure your around when your kid plugs in their X-box, want to make sure they don't get hurt.
something might happen

Alsip, IL

#12 Jul 12, 2010
Whoa, you are not helping. Washed a Horse a 100 times? As a city girl, i assume you don't wash them in the winter here? so 100 times when did they start? age 8? A child may be allowed to say work with a parent, but with supervision. Say, in a Family owned Burger joint. They could be able to make a hotdog and pour some cokes but not allowed to use the grill or deep fryer. Isn't there safety codes for farms? and restricted areas for children? Maybe there should be? As a city girl, their fans are on the ceiling and turned on by a switch.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#13 Jul 12, 2010
This board has sunk to a new, all-time low with this thread.

To the OP - to criticize the parents or family in any way, shape or form is deplorable. You are a despicable person.

To "something might happen", to use this family's grief as a podium to preach what a good, safety-minded parent you are speaks volumes to your character, which is apparently flawed. You may be safety-minded, but I hope your children are able to rise above being raised by someone with such a cold heart.

I wish this family peace. I'm out of here permanently, the negativity here is not healthy.
People are Wacked

United States

#14 Jul 12, 2010
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with this country? People like you, that's who.
What kind of person would call that child an idiot and blame the parents after they just lost their son! Don't you think that they feel bad enough without socially inept people making them feel worse? Unless you're a flawless person who has never made a mistake in your life then you need to shut up, mind your own business and crawl back under the rock that you live under.
Don't worry - they will get theirs! What goes around, comes around. Now, THEY have bad Karma and something tragic like this will happen to them. Lessons learned. People should learn to keep their big fat mouths shut and opinions to themselves. The parents had NOTHING to do with this! The kid made a simple MISTAKE. Things happen for a reason - God wanted him now. NOBODY is to blame. You cannot live your life in a bubble and worry about every little thing you do can result in danger. Use common sense and hopefully this will keep people from danger. Again, people make mistakes and that is what happened. Shame on these people pointing at the parents and kid. These parents (and family) are going through complete hell, because of what happened to their sweet little boy - have a ___king heart!
People are Wacked

United States

#15 Jul 12, 2010
something might happen wrote:
I think in the country/aka farm setting children work at a younger age than i say in a city. As a city girl, i would not allow my child to wash a horse. They could be kicked. Something could happen. I think 11 yo was too young to also be in charge of washing and using the fan ( aka farm equipment). 11 y.o. can be able to feed and wash a family pet, no fan involved. My boys were not allowed to use the Lawn mover until 8th grade. Something might happen. My kids do not use the stoveoven when i am not home. micro only. The hair straightners, dryers are only in the bathroom and not in their bedroom. Kids are forgetful and might leave them on & burn the house down. The parents might of not used the best judgement on what an 11 y.o. could do. I feel sorry for the family.
Well, goodie for you! I bet your boys are wimps today. I feel real sorry for you, because you have said this - now something is going to happen to your family! Don't think it's a coincidence - KARMA.
something might happen

Alsip, IL

#16 Jul 12, 2010
Local 597 Pipe Fitters. Anyone think they are wimps? I never said anything you are saying i did. I implied maybe there should be a safety check for farms, age appropriated jobs and maybe a fan that has a shut off when tipped. I have stated many times the sympathy to the family, friends and community. My view is ,when tragedy happens, how do you solve the accident so it will not happen again. Thats how we got bike chain guards, helmets, surge bars and many other laws & inventions that help and protect children. I would never wish any harm to anyones children ever, like some of you. That to me is your bad karma.
Oscar

Wheaton, IL

#17 Jul 12, 2010
It is amazing how clueless people are today of farm or horse life. Utterly amazing... <lol

A family horse is a pet... not much different that your best friend (dog). Can a dog bite? Yes. Can a horse kick? Yes... And your point is?

I have no idea if this was a farm or simply horse property. Either way, when you grow up with horses, they grow up with you. In the summer it is crazy hot for horses. You put a fan on their stall to keep the air moving and they love it! In fact they stand in front of the fan with their noses right next to those "dangerious" blades too! <lol

This was an accident...that's it. And you want the Government to inspect barns to save you? Gosh are you out of touch....

Honestly, you need to send your kids to horse camp. Give them the opportunity to learn how to care for a horse and befriend them. I hear Columbo is starting a Horse Camp but I would not send little boys there, so find a reputable place. It will change their lives for ever!
Whoa

Gary, IN

#18 Jul 12, 2010
something might happen wrote:
Local 597 Pipe Fitters. Anyone think they are wimps? I never said anything you are saying i did. I implied maybe there should be a safety check for farms, age appropriated jobs and maybe a fan that has a shut off when tipped. I have stated many times the sympathy to the family, friends and community. My view is ,when tragedy happens, how do you solve the accident so it will not happen again. Thats how we got bike chain guards, helmets, surge bars and many other laws & inventions that help and protect children. I would never wish any harm to anyones children ever, like some of you. That to me is your bad karma.
You just need to talk with your ancestors, and then you might figure out how hard they worked so you could be where your at today. Thats all
something might happen

Alsip, IL

#19 Jul 12, 2010
Thank you for Horse 101. I have admitted in am in the dark when it comes to them. A family Pet to me is like a dog. You could ride a big dog and if you fell off, it wouldn't kill you. Wash a Horse, perhaps i would bring it to the car wash. I am OK with children working and helping parents but there is an age at supervision needed. Because, something might happen. http://www.stopchildlabor.org/USchildlabor/fa...
something might happen

Alsip, IL

#20 Jul 12, 2010
Whoa

Gary, IN

#21 Jul 12, 2010
something might happen wrote:
Thank you for Horse 101. I have admitted in am in the dark when it comes to them. A family Pet to me is like a dog. You could ride a big dog and if you fell off, it wouldn't kill you. Wash a Horse, perhaps i would bring it to the car wash. I am OK with children working and helping parents but there is an age at supervision needed. Because, something might happen. http://www.stopchildlabor.org/USchildlabor/fa...
Okay, I know what your trying to say but from what I understand and heard the horse did not cause anything he was just washing down a horse and went to turn on a fan or move a fan and there was a combination of things that happened. The same could happen to you or I (and our kids)in our own home plugging something in if a combination of things are right. My seven year old plugs her little boom box in where ever she goes, she knows how and I can't live in fear that she will screw up. It could happen. But child labor? The boy was doing his chores. He could have tripped and hit his head on a rock and died, then would be blaming someone as for who put the rock there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Lenox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama the Dicktator 31 min Patriot 17
So Whats Next? 45 min Patriot 43
really your're Invited 53 min Patriot 33
KKK vs Anonymous Cyberwar 1 hr Patriot 11
It Sure Was Nice While Sharky Was Gone 9 hr really 2
NEW LENOX going to the crapper (Dec '11) 9 hr Four More Years 50
Benghazi!!!!!!!!!! 9 hr Four More Years 25
New Lenox Dating
Find my Match

New Lenox People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New Lenox News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New Lenox

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:30 pm PST

NFL 1:30PM
Colt McCoy 'pushing' Robert Griffin III, Gruden says
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Colts' Week 12 Preview vs. Jags
NBC Sports 9:51 AM
Colts cut return man Griff Whalen, sign RB Zurlon Tipton
NFL10:14 AM
Colts promote Zurlon Tipton, waive Griff Whalen
NBC Sports 4:12 PM
Week 12 skill-position injury report — final