Comments
1,561 - 1,580 of 9,661 Comments Last updated Yesterday
golfgal

Tulsa, OK

#1565 May 17, 2009
xnewken wrote:
<quoted text>I believe Sam Tamburo was partners with Roxie in the bowling alley & I think Mike Nicastro owned the bar.Correct me if I'm wrong!!!
You have the right facts.
sandyk

North Versailles, PA

#1566 May 17, 2009
Does anyone remember Mike's Bar. It was on the corner of 3rd Avenue and maybe 15th St? It was directly across the street from Dupells Super Market.
Olderndirt

El Paso, TX

#1567 May 18, 2009
sandyk wrote:
Does anyone remember Mike's Bar. It was on the corner of 3rd Avenue and maybe 15th St? It was directly across the street from Dupells Super Market.
I remember Mike's Bar. It was owned by Mike Sopko who was injured in the coalmines. Many miners supported the bar and it was a busy place on payday. As I posted a while back on this thread, I drank more than a few boiler makers there with friends and fathers of my friends.
sandyk

North Versailles, PA

#1568 May 18, 2009
What a great site! I never would have remembered Mike's last name, as I was so young. We actually lived above the bar in about 1952 while my dad built our house in Valley Heights! You must recall Dupell's store which was across the street! Stanley Dupell delivered groceries to us in Valley Heights. Not too many moms drove back then! I remember the large ceiling fans in the store!
Ken Hi 1960

Glenshaw, PA

#1569 May 18, 2009
My grandparents lived in the 1500 block on Third Avenue. I remember Mikes and Dupells very well.
There was another market on the other end of the block on the Dupell side called Postys.

There was another business across from Postys but I can not remember the name.
Olderndirt

El Paso, TX

#1570 May 18, 2009
sandyk wrote:
What a great site! I never would have remembered Mike's last name, as I was so young. We actually lived above the bar in about 1952 while my dad built our house in Valley Heights! You must recall Dupell's store which was across the street! Stanley Dupell delivered groceries to us in Valley Heights. Not too many moms drove back then! I remember the large ceiling fans in the store!
Do you remember Mike at all?? The miners sure took care of him. My grandma occasionally shopped at Dupell's but I don't remember anything about the interior of the store.
trz43

Buffalo, NY

#1571 May 18, 2009
Margie wrote:
<quoted text>
Smalleys was owned by Stella and Phil. Good people. Stella later had a beauty shop in her home in Mt. Vernon. Prior to Smalley's, it was Weishar's.
The Adam's Market previously mentioned, on 7t St. near the creek, was owned by Adam Trzeciak. The best meat, cut to order. I can credit Adam with my life-long addiction to a good steak, not easy to get these days.
And, OMG, meat actually had bones back then! I have had a couple of young people tell me recently that they "can't stand" eating meat with bones. Go figure!
Thats My grandfather Adam
Olderndirt

El Paso, TX

#1572 May 18, 2009
trz43 wrote:
<quoted text>Thats My grandfather Adam
So Tom's your father???
ANDY

Oklahoma City, OK

#1573 May 19, 2009
Wow all the years i spent as a kid in acme from
age 8 thru 12 roaming the wood around there, and 13 thru 17 hiking the woods around new ken i never thought about bears. but one in new ken, now thats cool, i have seen a lot of animals, bobcats, deer, mink, weasels,skunks,coons, but never a bear
trz43

Buffalo, NY

#1574 May 19, 2009
Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
So Tom's your father???
yes Tom is my father and living in Lower Burrell
Mark Childs

Phoenix, AZ

#1575 May 19, 2009
My father owned and operated the Skyliner from 1944 to 1949, at which point he went bankrupt and moved the family to Pittsburgh. I remember, as a three-year-old, exploring the kitchen and seeing the huge barrels of live lobsters. Johnny Costa was the house pianist/bandleader. At the same time my two uncles, Moe and Al Malyn, operated the Childs Restaurant in downtown New Ken.
WillyBJammin wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank:
Which one is/was the Garibaldi building there is a building on the 900 block of 5th that has a tile (small ornate with pillars) tht I thought had been the ALHAMBRA Theater? I knew one of the guys that had some of the old "vest pocket" slots in a few places along with "bonus music" jukeboxes... Coin amusement to use the vernacular!!
Sam:
Yea! Me too, thru elementary school. Warren Shaner and wife, Maude Yeakle, Ed Vargas (he was a NewKen policeman around the same time probably as Blacky Calabrese and I think his name was Frank Perriello,) The Blacks, The Posts too many more, just some neighbors all on Ridge Ave.
Now for just a stream of thought:
The Bakery in Parnassus was also Princess Pastry (the real bake shop was located in a converted garage, I think I was told once the building had been either a Kaiser or Hudson dealership long before my time) although I can NOW say that used to be a Oldmobile or an American Motors (AMC) Dealer soon we can say that used to be a Saturn dealer!!!
I think it was Ray’s Barber Shop at the bottom of North Street
The First Pizza shop in NewKen was Luigi’s on 4th, the second North Star beside the Circle Theater on Fifth. The first pizza I ever had was hand made at some festavel at St Joes... Little Old Italian ladies baking there...
Coney Island Luncheonette on 10th St across from the Pool Hall, Mustard, Onion, Sauce. They grilled natural casing hot dogs on a flattop what seemed the size of a aircraft carrier, in the front window. The aroma wafted out into the street from a vent fan over / under the grill. I can taste on NOW!! They had good hamburgers and cooked your typical breakfast stuff too. I don’t think they ever closed?(as long as Alcoa was open anyway) Kind of like the old days of the Rustic Inn and KenMar Hotel “dining room”
The Western Pennsylvania Fireman’s Association conventions and the “Tent City” they used to set up. The number of those patrons who were “over served”. The parades!! The Fire Trucks!! Hopefully still going strong?
Connor’s Hobby Shop – the guy had a problem!!
Dick Serventi I think owned old Villella’s after it became the Frontier. Dick moved with his family to Detroit and bought a Bowling Alley.. Did he have to get out of town? Great Groups there CeCe and Company, The Fenways, Jaggerz, The Racket Squad, Howard Vokes at Hereda Hotel
The Skyliner sat across from the NewKen reservoir and it was a art deco pastel bldg. Best Crab Imperial and huge steaks. A combo most weekends in the 50’s and early 60’s. It’s said that Jimmy Beaumont and the Skyliners (then just the Skyliners) named the group for the bar / restaurant. Owned by the Landis’ burnt down a couple of times (like Gonella's next door)(Ya think they'ed have an extinguisher handy)
Annie moved into the old Pink Pig in Lower Burrell for a while after Art died. I think the old building is still there now maybe the Elk’s?
Google Pictures:
http://maps.google.com/maps...
On the corner of 9th Street and 5th Ave
The center of the universe! If you haven’t seen this before it will probably make you queasy seeing NewKen as it is today!
Out here
sandyk

North Versailles, PA

#1576 May 19, 2009
I cant' remember Mike at all I was only 5 years old, but I do remember when you walked in the front door (not on 3rd Ave, but the side street) and walked straight back,that's where the juke box was. The bar on the right and tables on the left. Also a side door to 3rd Ave?]
sandyk

North Versailles, PA

#1577 May 19, 2009
Does anyone remember McQuade's sign shop on Constitution Blvd- late 50's. They lived in Valley Heights, had a daughter Gloria? She graduated New Ken Hi about 1956?
Olderndirt

El Paso, TX

#1578 May 19, 2009
sandyk wrote:
I cant' remember Mike at all I was only 5 years old, but I do remember when you walked in the front door (not on 3rd Ave, but the side street) and walked straight back,that's where the juke box was. The bar on the right and tables on the left. Also a side door to 3rd Ave?]
You're right on about Mike's. That's how I remember the bar too. I think there were a few steps up to the door. Mike had a very noticeable limp. He was always shining glasses when he wasn't pouring drinks.
Olderndirt

El Paso, TX

#1579 May 19, 2009
sandyk wrote:
Does anyone remember McQuade's sign shop on Constitution Blvd- late 50's. They lived in Valley Heights, had a daughter Gloria? She graduated New Ken Hi about 1956?
I graduated in 56 with a Geraldine McQuade. She had a brother, Delbert but they lived on 2nd ave. in the 50's. Geraldine married Sunny Cincuitti and has since passed. Must be a different family???
Olderndirt

El Paso, TX

#1580 May 19, 2009
trz43 wrote:
<quoted text> yes Tom is my father and living in Lower Burrell
Do you know Renee???
trz43

Buffalo, NY

#1581 May 19, 2009
Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know Renee???
yes that is my sister , I am Cindy
klr56

Akron, OH

#1582 May 19, 2009
I was on the internet tonight trying to find out exactly when Alcoa closed the mills in New Kensington and Arnold. Does anyone happen to know?
I believe they closed Logan's Ferry in 1986. My dad worked at the mill in Nu Ken and I believe it closed in the early 1970's.

I found something you might like to take a look at:
http://www.riversofsteel.com/pdf/alle-kiski-v...

This is an Ethnographic Survey of Nu Ken, Arnold, Braeburn, Tarentum ... It was written by Chris Magoc in 1993. Alot of heritage of the area ... including nite life, it is long, but a real easy read. It might stir a few of those long lost memories.

I grew up in Nu Ken, so this is really going to sound bad, Where is Mt. Vernon? Obviously that wasn't the section of town I live in. Enjoyed the story in the news about the bear ...
RICHARD G SINI

AOL

#1583 May 19, 2009
Linda,i knew bob orostek very well we were close friends,Andy was his older brother his sister was really hot.Did you graduate in 1961? Lets see Dee Warrick,me Richard Sini, Dee married Gloria Watson now living in Fla.I married Jean Davis From the terrace as one person called the projects.He was wrong you brought you house threw the Aluminum company you had to rent it for i belive 20 or 30 yrs then you owned it.Linda Booth your name is very familar.Please e-mail me if you get this letter at sini1@aol.com see you.OH IF ANYONE WANTS TO REALLY KNOW THE WHOLE STORY ABOUT NEW KEN LIFE IN THE CITY E-MAIL ME.HERES A NAME FROM THE PAST " TOUGTHIE ANY BUDDY REMEMBER I'LL BE WAITING RICHARD G SINI---------
Tom R

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#1584 May 20, 2009
klr56 wrote:
I grew up in Nu Ken, so this is really going to sound bad, Where is Mt. Vernon? Obviously that wasn't the section of town I live in.
Mount Vernon was east and uphill from Parnassus and south of 7th street hill. Further east and up hill was Farm Hill where the Booths (owners of Burrell Construcation) lived.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 34 min Obamas Pretend Pr... 51,314
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 38 min Obamas Common Core 3,934
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 18 hr EDDIE SWINDELL 161
6.58 Million Muslims in USA (Sep '12) Aug 30 RICHARD 37
"A Good Solid Place To Live In This World" (Oct '13) Aug 30 RICHARD 9
28th Amendment (Dec '10) Aug 30 RICHARD 11
CHUCKIE CROGHAN Speaks (Feb '10) Aug 28 Richard 1,602
•••
•••
•••

New Kensington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••