Remember New Ken nightlife
stevep

AOL

#903 Jan 25, 2009
Tom R wrote:
<quoted text>
Dago red is a STRONG home made Italian wine. My head aches just thinking about it.
I agree with you on the headaches.I've had one from drinking Dago red at Giulianis market in Arnold back in 1955 and I still get that headache every time I think of it.It was only a couple of days old.I could have walked across the river without getting my feet wet.That's how potent it was.
Atlantan

Atlanta, GA

#904 Jan 25, 2009
debo wrote:
<quoted text>
If I remember right he was Bill Merriweathers son Mr. Merriweather was a TV repair man in New Ken
I think the incident occurred in the early 1980s, and I think the body was found along the Bull Creek Road. As I recall, there was a trial but nobody was convicted.

Since: Jan 09

Steubenville, OH

#905 Jan 25, 2009
Sorry, I forgot to put which hospital! It was AVH in Natrona Heights.
ccmnova

Belle Vernon, PA

#906 Jan 26, 2009
Lived on 4th avenue across from Hanes market. A great little Mom and Pop store with their own little meat counter (if you got some ground meat, the old guy would grind it fresh for you). We used to have a "tab" there and put everything on the tab. My dad would pay it at the end of the month. I always thought that if only he could get 1 month ahead then we wouldn't need that tab - it just didn't work that way !
Amy Heister

Phoenix, AZ

#907 Jan 26, 2009
Hanes market? I remember Hanes Tavern and my mom getting Frog legs there.
Dago Red, I am in Arizona and some one tried to tell me it had Vodka and other things in it. But I thought it was just wine.:)
Ok, no one has brought up the Bonfire Resturant? That used to be the favorite place to go where I lived.
AVH Hospital while my dad was interning there, my parents lived in the house that was across the street, that used to be the nurses station
Any one remember HOSS, the guy that killed several woman I think. I just remember the police with the dogs tracking him through our back yard.

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

#908 Jan 26, 2009
Dego Red - Does that ring a bell!!! I drank a lot of that stuff. There was a guy who lived on a hill near Vandergrift and he grew the grapes and mad the Red. When you went to buy, he took you into his wine celler and gave you a large glass of white and then a large glass of red and then a half and half. You walked out with about two gallons of wine and staggered to the car. I never got a head ache. I guess the kept it pure in my days.(Late 40s to early 50s.) They did the same thing to MJ and sister.
Hmmmm

Wheeling, WV

#909 Jan 27, 2009
Hey Amy, You must have missed a few pages in the string...there is reference to the Bonfire, Sam Mannerino's daughter and her husband operated it for several years. And Hanes...I remember the chicken in the basket and the fried mushrooms! Everything was made fresh, not frozen like today. Was it Stanley Hoss? That was in the late 60's? Some of the cops that post here should know that story?

Since: Aug 08

Chardon, OH

#910 Jan 27, 2009
xnewken wrote:
Hey Dirt-Do you remember the Mannarinos having any daughters?
Minnie Carlucci who passed away a few years ago and lived in Ford City for many years. I don't know much about Kelley's family. Something that I find a little mysterious is there was a Mannerino girl that was married and divorced from Mancil White(Whitey). He was a friend that made his living on the fence, between lawbreaking and ligitimacy. This girl was older than Minnie and don't recall how she was related. Whitey attested to her relationship to Sam but I don't remember how.
Anyone remember Whitey??? He did hard time in his youth, ran a restaurant on 3rd ave., pimped a couple of girls, had a fruit and veggy stand out Leechburg Road, not far from the Bonfire.

Since: Aug 08

Chardon, OH

#911 Jan 27, 2009
Dago Red was the lifeblood of the old Italian immigrants that lived around New Ken and Arnold. A guy would take orders for grapes and get them all at one time from the strip district. The grapes came to town in a few boxcars and distributed to the winemakers where the RR crossed the bottom of North St.(14th st.)My grandfather made several barrels each year and supposedly had some of the best Dago Red in town. I was told he made wine commercially in Italy before he came over.

Atlantan

Boynton Beach, FL

#912 Jan 27, 2009
Hmmmm wrote:
Hey Amy, You must have missed a few pages in the string...there is reference to the Bonfire, Sam Mannerino's daughter and her husband operated it for several years. And Hanes...I remember the chicken in the basket and the fried mushrooms! Everything was made fresh, not frozen like today. Was it Stanley Hoss? That was in the late 60's? Some of the cops that post here should know that story?
It was fall 1969 when Stanley Hoss terrorized the valley. Police roadblocks were everywhere.I think he and another inmate escaped from a jail, I don't remember which one. I think Hoss killed his fellow escapee and later shot and killed a Verona police officer.
I was told a few years later that some people in the Bon Air section of Lower Burrell called police that night and told them there was someone hiding in a shed on their property, near the 56 bypass. The police were too busy to respond to the call, and the next day Stanley Hoss kidnapped a young woman from the cemetery across the road. I think he raped her but did not kill her. Driving her car, he made his way to Maryland where he kidnapped and subsequently killed a young woman named Linda Peugeot and her baby. Their bodies have never been found. He was captured while driving Linda Peugeot's car in Iowa (I think). Seems like he was killed or committed suicide in prison. Maybe somebody can fill in more details.
Not so nice to think that our A-K Valley could produce someone like that.
ccmnova

Belle Vernon, PA

#913 Jan 27, 2009
Amy Heister wrote:
Hanes market? I remember Hanes Tavern and my mom getting Frog legs there.
Dago Red, I am in Arizona and some one tried to tell me it had Vodka and other things in it. But I thought it was just wine.:)
Ok, no one has brought up the Bonfire Resturant? That used to be the favorite place to go where I lived.
AVH Hospital while my dad was interning there, my parents lived in the house that was across the street, that used to be the nurses station
Any one remember HOSS, the guy that killed several woman I think. I just remember the police with the dogs tracking him through our back yard.
I live now by the Bonfire restaurant on Finnin Road - it is exactly the same as you would remember it - not a thing has been done to it !!!
xnewken

AOL

#914 Jan 28, 2009
I think we should all thank Georgia the "Mafia Niece" HA!! HA!!! HA!!! HA!!! for being the originator of this Night Life in N.K. string.I'm sure we all have brought back memories of happenings of the town & people around N.K."THANKS" again GEORGIA
Tony V -Valley Hghts

Harleysville, PA

#915 Jan 28, 2009
To Parsec sam,

My brother used to date Art and Mary Ellen's daughter in High school. My brother said she was at the last HS re-union ( he did not go) and that he heard she was living in Hawaii and married to a writer ( thoreax (?), i think). She had two brothers. one was a football player at Ken High and was the oldest, I think.
Hmmmm

Wheeling, WV

#916 Jan 28, 2009
Was Tom Lubresky with Stanley Hoss when they broke out of prison? I don't know how I remember these things? I think you are right about killing a cop in Verona? A local guy was a cop in Verona...wonder what happened to him Billie Dlubek?
Hmmmm

Wheeling, WV

#917 Jan 28, 2009
Did they break out of the jail in Blawnox?
ccmnova

Belle Vernon, PA

#918 Jan 28, 2009
Still in the valley here in Allegheny Township - we got about a 2 inch heavy ice coating this morning and now its heavy snow about 2 inches and coming strong. I was out in it earlier and the roads are terrible. Went out for the mail and you wouldn't know there's a road there. Temp is dropping from 32 this morn to 16 tonight.
Hmmmm

Wheeling, WV

#919 Jan 28, 2009
Here is a site that told the "Hoss" story investigation.
http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums/index.ph...
Georgia Mannarino

Kane, PA

#920 Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for the complement.
ragdoll

Port Huron, MI

#921 Jan 29, 2009
Georgia Mannarino wrote:
Thanks for the complement.
Georgia, don't you mean "compliment?" When can we expect your book to be published?
Rat

Clearwater, FL

#922 Jan 29, 2009
ragdoll wrote:
<quoted text>
Geo rgia, don't you mean "compliment?" When can we expect your book to be published?
Ragdoll,
Don't encourage her,him or it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
St Joseph School (Aug '12) Feb 7 Nky1968 27
Wanted: Ken Penn Amusements Memorabilia, Info,... (Aug '15) Feb 5 Jo jo 11
Fifth Avenue in the1950s (Jul '09) Jan 22 GGoltiani 54
Doc Soroka Jan '18 boysovsumr 1
"new kensington's future" (Apr '14) Dec '17 Ura 43
Chad hanna Dec '17 Distant 1
Taco Bell in Harmar? (Mar '13) Dec '17 TexMex 11

New Kensington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance