Remember New Ken nightlife
X2ndave

Gibsonia, PA

#6236 Nov 10, 2011
Hey Bum Howard !!!! I don!t know if you follow this Remember N.K site, but if you do, I believe you & Steve P. Were horseshoe pitching playground champs that same year or the year before we were the softball champs. There were a couple other of us that won awards that year at Herr Stadium. Miss Pascaretta was the playground supervisor at the time & she did one hell of a good job providing activities for us in the summer.
NewKenGal

Morgan Hill, CA

#6237 Nov 10, 2011
Henry's was great. It was an old building in the 60's...is it still standing? Remember Bob Lavorio (sp?).
RICHARD

Star, ID

#6238 Nov 10, 2011
NewKenGal wrote:
Henry's was great. It was an old building in the 60's...is it still standing? Remember Bob Lavorio (sp?).
Sorry to say,but both are gone.
Chuck C

Boca Raton, FL

#6239 Nov 10, 2011
RICHARD wrote:
<quoted text>Yes,i certanily do VH,in fact i remember who the instructor was do you?Now i want you to think hard on this ,he also showed old movie pictures in a old house just up from the YMCA and he also gave swimming instructions to my children and had them on the YMCA swimming team in New Castle,Pa.Great man.One of his Bike friends was Bob Essie.Get this,they would ride all the way down to Washington D.C.
Not sure if I`m right.But the name Mr.Black.Pops out of my memory banks.
Banks --Tubby -- 4K.in the bank at 17.Dam good job...Good thing you didn`t meet Burnie M. back then....C.C.
Ambrose Kid 60

Oakmont, PA

#6240 Nov 10, 2011
Joe Black taught the boy's swimming classes at the Alcoa men's facility. Also, he showed the movies at the old YMCA playground at the present site of the YMCA. Bob Phillips was the athletic director in the 50s & early 60s, after the new facility was built. He resigned at NK and became the director at New Castle. My son swam against New Castle. When we swam NC or at states, Bob and I had a lot of time to reminisce about the old NK Y days. He was succeeded by Bob Thompson '60. Bob Thompson went on to coach swimming at the Naval Academy and then at Duke. Unfortunately, he died from cancer, several years ago. Bob Asay '58 was an excellent swimmer and diver. Unfortunately, he died when he was a very young man. He taught at Valley and operated several hoagie shops in the area.
Ambrose Kid 60

Oakmont, PA

#6241 Nov 10, 2011
Mitt Romney's father, George Romney, worked for Alcoa for a short time. During that time, he lived at the Alcoa residence. He probably swam in the same pool and played tennis on the wonderful clay courts in back. Then, he went on to be president of American Motors and the governor of Michigan. In 1964, he made an unsuccessful attempt to win the GOP nomination for president.

Somehow, Goldie Hawn was connected to the Alcoa facility. That can be a research problem for this forum.
RICHARD

Star, ID

#6242 Nov 10, 2011
Ambrose Kid 60 wrote:
Joe Black taught the boy's swimming classes at the Alcoa men's facility. Also, he showed the movies at the old YMCA playground at the present site of the YMCA. Bob Phillips was the athletic director in the 50s & early 60s, after the new facility was built. He resigned at NK and became the director at New Castle. My son swam against New Castle. When we swam NC or at states, Bob and I had a lot of time to reminisce about the old NK Y days. He was succeeded by Bob Thompson '60. Bob Thompson went on to coach swimming at the Naval Academy and then at Duke. Unfortunately, he died from cancer, several years ago. Bob Asay '58 was an excellent swimmer and diver. Unfortunately, he died when he was a very young man. He taught at Valley and operated several hoagie shops in the area.
Thanks Broz,i didn't know that the two Bob's had passed,just to young.Now are you and your wife planning any trips out west by way of Idaho? We would like to hook up with you both if possible.

Since: Nov 09

Estero, FL

#6243 Nov 11, 2011
Chuck C wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure if I`m right.But the name Mr.Black.Pops out of my memory banks.
Banks --Tubby -- 4K.in the bank at 17.Dam good job...Good thing you didn`t meet Burnie M. back then....C.C.
LOL My buddies always teased me cause when we went out I never spent hardly any money, They called me a "tightwad". Problem was when I got married my wife cleaned me out. lol Tubby Money also came from setting pins at Reds bowling alley. Worked 2 jobs then 1 selling shoes
NewKenGal

Morgan Hill, CA

#6244 Nov 11, 2011
Sorry and surprised to read that Bob Lavorio has passed. I don't remember him being that much older than us. Sorry to read of this. I imagine "Porky Chedwick" (sp?) is also gone??? Does anyone know?
RICHARD

Star, ID

#6245 Nov 11, 2011
NewKenGal wrote:
Sorry and surprised to read that Bob Lavorio has passed. I don't remember him being that much older than us. Sorry to read of this. I imagine "Porky Chedwick" (sp?) is also gone??? Does anyone know?
Yes,the daddy e--o of the R A D I O, the platter pushin papa ,I belive passed away,man what a groovy disc jokey.
Margie

Glenshaw, PA

#6246 Nov 11, 2011
RICHARD wrote:
<quoted text>Yes,the daddy e--o of the R A D I O, the platter pushin papa ,I belive passed away,man what a groovy disc jokey.
Pork is not dead. He's 93.
westcoastrod

Yuma, AZ

#6247 Nov 11, 2011
Margie wrote:
<quoted text>
Just 2 weeks ago I read an online article that a radio station ( WEDO) dropped Porky's show because of no sponsorship.
RICHARD

Star, ID

#6248 Nov 11, 2011
Margie wrote:
<quoted text>
We were back in new ken in August and some one had told me he had past.I'm terrible sorry that i mention that.I should have reseached it more,sorry for the incorrect post.
Chuck C

Boca Raton, FL

#6249 Nov 12, 2011
RICHARD wrote:
<quoted text>We were back in new ken in August and some one had told me he had past.I'm terrible sorry that i mention that.I should have reseached it more,sorry for the incorrect post.
I can still hear it WAMO W A M O 860 On your dial.Did I get the numbers right?
I think PORKIE played the first ("ROCKinROLL Christmas")Or was it ("ROCKinROLL Around the Christmas Tree")???
RICHARD

Star, ID

#6250 Nov 12, 2011
Chuck C wrote:
<quoted text> I can still hear it WAMO W A M O 860 On your dial.Did I get the numbers right?
I think PORKIE played the first ("ROCKinROLL Christmas")Or was it ("ROCKinROLL Around the Christmas Tree")???
Here's one everyone should remember also,Sir WALTER RALEIGH.
Chuck C

Boca Raton, FL

#6251 Nov 13, 2011
If you think you have enough to worry about.Take a look at this.
(" YouTube Emergency update ")
Chuck C

Boca Raton, FL

#6252 Nov 13, 2011
www.what the hell has happened to america.com
Valley Heights 59

Arlington, TX

#6253 Nov 13, 2011
Chuck C wrote:
If you think you have enough to worry about.Take a look at this.
(" YouTube Emergency update ")
CC: Can't find it from the information you gave. Any suggestions?
Chuck C

Boca Raton, FL

#6254 Nov 13, 2011
Valley Heights 59 wrote:
<quoted text>
CC: Can't find it from the information you gave. Any suggestions?
Like any youtube.- youtube emergence update - click web search
Chuck C

Boca Raton, FL

#6255 Nov 14, 2011
Chuck C wrote:
<quoted text> Like any youtube.- youtube emergence update - click web search
Sorry what I wanted you all to see was pulled/cut/gone....There was a comment,spread this video fast...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"A Good Solid Place To Live In This World" (Oct '13) Aug 20 someone 27
News Decisions of Westmoreland County judges (Jan '11) Jul '16 Mom 3
Who remembers the Village tavern? (Jul '07) Jul '16 Beth_H 20
Parnassus High School 1929 (Jun '09) Jul '16 Parnassus Packer 13
Leishman Ave School, Arnold, PA (Jan '13) Jul '16 aml59 2
Wanted: Ken Penn Amusements Memorabilia, Info,... (Aug '15) Jun '16 Carnival guy 3
You know your in New Ken when (Oct '10) Jun '16 Mad Parent 357

New Kensington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Kensington Mortgages