Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

There was a great band that played in most of the dances around Arnold and New Kensington. Was it Buddy Lee?
xnewken

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

My Town wrote:
A couple places out in "East New Kensington" come to mind and I wonder if anyone remembers Hereda's where Wayne Hart played on Thursday and Saturday nights....or what about the Frontier Lounge...was that Ben Namey's spot? I think that Hereda's was a no-tell motel?
Funny you should mention Wayne Hart,he's still around the Saxonburg area.He could only play good music when he was drunk.He still plays every once in awhile.During stock car season he would play at the Pike every Fri. night.If you fed him enough booze he would play to every small hour of night.Back in the 60's the Pike was known as a Redneck joint,if you liked to do battle you could always find somebody there to oblige you.Now after new owners took over & remodeled it turned out to be one of the better dining places in S.Butler.The Hereda Hotel- you better believe it was a not tell motel.
stevep

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

Parsec Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
About my memory. I forgot you asked that question. I can remember the teachers, but not their names. I had a wonderful teacher when I was in second grade. Then in third grade we were moved upstairs, and started changing rooms for different classes. There were two of the teachers who tanned my ass real good with a yard stick. One did it right in the room and the other one took you into the cloak room. Then there was the art teacher who wore a black wig; I think her name was Weaver. I liked the geography teacher, because during the summer she traveled to different places in Europe and then talked about them and showed us photos. One time she had American Indians visit and they set up a tee pee in her room. She also showed us things of interest with a gadget that had glasses at one end and a place to put double photos on the other. We saw 3D.
That triangle store is where I bought the gum cards. This was the early forties and there were no problems with the police. As a matter of fact the police treated us pretty good. They trained some of us to be patrol boys to help people cross the streets. We had meeting at the police station and marched in parades.
Hey Dirt!!!! I'm going to mess with your memory ,do you remember who the cop was that was in charge of us hero's of the street corners? I'll bet we looked sexy with our white belts & Admiral Nimitz baseball style hats .Does that ring a bell? Do you think we had all the girls swooning over us? I'll bet I was responsible for more kids getting hit by cars than you.At least I can say I outbeat you in thing.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

Parsec Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
About my memory. I forgot you asked that question. I can remember the teachers, but not their names. I had a wonderful teacher when I was in second grade. Then in third grade we were moved upstairs, and started changing rooms for different classes. There were two of the teachers who tanned my ass real good with a yard stick. One did it right in the room and the other one took you into the cloak room. Then there was the art teacher who wore a black wig; I think her name was Weaver. I liked the geography teacher, because during the summer she traveled to different places in Europe and then talked about them and showed us photos. One time she had American Indians visit and they set up a tee pee in her room. She also showed us things of interest with a gadget that had glasses at one end and a place to put double photos on the other. We saw 3D.
That triangle store is where I bought the gum cards. This was the early forties and there were no problems with the police. As a matter of fact the police treated us pretty good. They trained some of us to be patrol boys to help people cross the streets. We had meeting at the police station and marched in parades.
I recall those "patrol boy" days at 3rd Ward. Donny Kersten and I had the corners at the high school triangle. Remember the movie passes we got to get into the Paramont? The cop that was in charge of the patrol boys in town was Lou Sakulsky.
Hey Sam, there were 2 triangles in that neighborhood. One was across from the highschool. There was a candy store there that had the best candy. It was the first store that had bubble gum after the war. Kids came from all over town for bubble gum that wasn't available during WW2.
Up Ridge ave., one block was another triangle where the drug store and Khalil's Market was.
Anyone remember the spring at the corner of Taylor and (I think) Catalpa St.?

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Glendale CA,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall those "patrol boy" days at 3rd Ward. Donny Kersten and I had the corners at the high school triangle. Remember the movie passes we got to get into the Paramont? The cop that was in charge of the patrol boys in town was Lou Sakulsky.
Hey Sam, there were 2 triangles in that neighborhood. One was across from the highschool. There was a candy store there that had the best candy. It was the first store that had bubble gum after the war. Kids came from all over town for bubble gum that wasn't available during WW2.
Up Ridge ave., one block was another triangle where the drug store and Khalil's Market was.
Anyone remember the spring at the corner of Taylor and (I think) Catalpa St.?
Wow! You have some memory! I had the corner of Locust st. and Ridge Ave at the little triangle. Just below the Drug store. I think Gilbert Asher was on that corner too. He lived about a block up Ridge ave. When I first became a patrol boy, we wore blue corduroy jackets with red sleeves, the next few years we wore all blue corduroy jackets with pants to match and a military type corduroy cap. We used to get points for being alert. Like saluting Sakulsky (How did you ever remember his name?) when he drove by in a car. And at the weekly meetings they gave away money for answering certain questions to keep us alert. After the meetings we would walk over the alley from the Police Sta. to fifth avenue and have a couple of White Tower hamburgers.
The store at the high school triangle was where we bought the bubble gum. this was before and during the first part of the war. I moved in 1942.
Did you know any Smeltzers? They were distant relatives.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2008

Parsec Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! You have some memory! I had the corner of Locust st. and Ridge Ave at the little triangle. Just below the Drug store. I think Gilbert Asher was on that corner too. He lived about a block up Ridge ave. When I first became a patrol boy, we wore blue corduroy jackets with red sleeves, the next few years we wore all blue corduroy jackets with pants to match and a military type corduroy cap. We used to get points for being alert. Like saluting Sakulsky (How did you ever remember his name?) when he drove by in a car. And at the weekly meetings they gave away money for answering certain questions to keep us alert. After the meetings we would walk over the alley from the Police Sta. to fifth avenue and have a couple of White Tower hamburgers.
The store at the high school triangle was where we bought the bubble gum. this was before and during the first part of the war. I moved in 1942.
Did you know any Smeltzers? They were distant relatives.

I think we old geezer's minds remember things from 50 years ago but don't ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday.
Sounds like you patrol boys prior to my membership were some real fancy dudes. Red and blue coats?? All I got was a white belt and a badge. All I ever got was passes to the movies if I remember correctly.
Sam..Speaking of the White Tower, do you remember any of the "snake oil" salesmen that set up business in the lot between the White Tower and the Moose Club?? they had guys dressed as indians, snakes pickled in jars, stories about miracle healings after using their product, etc. Shills in the crowd waving money and pleading for a bottle of, whatever it was.
I remember a Peggy Smeltzer that frequented Melwood Park, both to swim and roller skate. Sound familiar Sam??
stevep

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we old geezer's minds remember things from 50 years ago but don't ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday.
Sounds like you patrol boys prior to my membership were some real fancy dudes. Red and blue coats?? All I got was a white belt and a badge. All I ever got was passes to the movies if I remember correctly.
Sam..Speaking of the White Tower, do you remember any of the "snake oil" salesmen that set up business in the lot between the White Tower and the Moose Club?? they had guys dressed as indians, snakes pickled in jars, stories about miracle healings after using their product, etc. Shills in the crowd waving money and pleading for a bottle of, whatever it was.
I remember a Peggy Smeltzer that frequented Melwood Park, both to swim and roller skate. Sound familiar Sam??
Bob & Sam !!!!- do you guys or anybody out there remember minstrel shows on Anderson St.on Murphy field?I remember being suckered into buying a gizmo that I could use to throw my voice,the only thing I threw was the 25 cts. I paid for it. It took a lot of empty pop bottles to get the deposit to pay for it.They had a lot of come ons like the snake oil rip off artists you mentioned.
Tom R

Twinsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

I remember a carnival in town that had a wrestling chimpanzee in a big cage. You would win a prize if you could stay in the cage for a certain time. A friend of mine's father tried and got the S**t knocked of him. Broken bones and everything.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Tom R wrote:
I remember a carnival in town that had a wrestling chimpanzee in a big cage. You would win a prize if you could stay in the cage for a certain time. A friend of mine's father tried and got the S**t knocked of him. Broken bones and everything.
LOL.. I think anyone that pinned the chimp got $50.00 which was big bucks in those days. I watched about 20 guys get thumped by that chimp.

Glendale CA,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Bob; I think Peggy Smeltzer was my second cousin. I think a lot of that stuff happened after I moved to Springdale, although I was in New Kensington a lot of the time.
Steve; I don't remember the carnival but I bought one of those gizmos, for the voice, from one of those catalogs that sold tons of junk. I never threw anything, except the gizmo. I threw it in the trash. I am still trying to find it, I realized I read the wrong directions. I always wanted to throw my voice.
stevep

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.. I think anyone that pinned the chimp got $50.00 which was big bucks in those days. I watched about 20 guys get thumped by that chimp.
Bob- you know how big of a man my Uncle Casey was and how strong he was,when that carnival was in Kinloch K.C. thought he could whip that chimp."no way in hell" in few short minutes K.C was on his way to the hospital with a broken arm He had a hell of a time living that down.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

stevep wrote:
<quoted text>Bob- you know how big of a man my Uncle Casey was and how strong he was,when that carnival was in Kinloch K.C. thought he could whip that chimp."no way in hell" in few short minutes K.C was on his way to the hospital with a broken arm He had a hell of a time living that down.
I remember when the carni. was in Arnold and a huge motorcycle dude, about 250# and well over 6 foot was talked into taking on the chimp by some of his motorcycle buddies and girlfriends. The guy took one step toward the chimp who was swinging from the top of the cage. The chimp hit him with both feet to the face. The guy bounced off the bars and before he hit the floor the chimp hit him about 6 times and was jumping on his prone body with both feet when the chimps owner pulled him off. All in about 15 seconds.
Rat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Parsec Sam wrote:
There was a great band that played in most of the dances around Arnold and New Kensington. Was it Buddy Lee?
Hi Sam, You got that "Buddy Lee" name right. I think his real name was Edmund Manganelli and he lived in the 1300 block of Taylor Ave. He was active up until a year or so, and died rather suddenly. The last time I heard him play was at the Ken-Hi 2000 reunion.
stevep

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

San wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I said I would post when we would be opening the 9th Street Cafe, LLC, once I knew for sure myself. Well, we had our final inspection a couple days ago and we will be opening this coming Tuesday, September 2nd. Our hours will be Monday through Friday 5:30AM to 3:00PM. Thanks so much for all your support.
The wife & I enjoyed the food."Very Good Vittles" I'm sure when the lunch bunch from the V.N.D gets to your place San,they will give you a 6 star rating.You also have 6 star employees working for you.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Rat wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Sam, You got that "Buddy Lee" name right. I think his real name was Edmund Manganelli and he lived in the 1300 block of Taylor Ave. He was active up until a year or so, and died rather suddenly. The last time I heard him play was at the Ken-Hi 2000 reunion.
Rat, you missed Manganelli's home by one block. I think he lived on the 1300 block of Orchard Ave.,one block from Taylor. He rented my grandma's garage for several years.
I posted previously that he owned the Spaghetti Villiage on 5th that his sister operated. The best pizza and poorboys in town at the time.
Dave

Grovetown, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Valley Camper, the duckpin bowling was at Trocarino(a). My grandmother took me there when I was 9 or 10 in 1959-60.

Wally, you're on the right track with Speedo Hanna. Try Groucho Hanna's daughter, Sandy.
xnewken

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
Rat, you missed Manganelli's home by one block. I think he lived on the 1300 block of Orchard Ave.,one block from Taylor. He rented my grandma's garage for several years.
I posted previously that he owned the Spaghetti Villiage on 5th that his sister operated. The best pizza and poorboys in town at the time.
Dirt- maybe I'm wrong but I think the family member of the Spaghetti Village owners who had the band was Artie Arnell,he was well known,they also had a grocery store on 7st. across from the nurses home.Like I said I could be wrong.
stevep

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob- I think you are right ,I remember a Peggy Smeltzer from Melwood Park.She might have lived in the Braeburn area or Lower Burrell

Glendale CA,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

stevep wrote:
<quoted text>Bob- I think you are right ,I remember a Peggy Smeltzer from Melwood Park.She might have lived in the Braeburn area or Lower Burrell
Good morning. Some of the Smeltzers I knew lived on Freeport Road near eight or Ninth St.
olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

xnewken wrote:
<quoted text>Dirt- maybe I'm wrong but I think the family member of the Spaghetti Village owners who had the band was Artie Arnell,he was well known,they also had a grocery store on 7st. across from the nurses home.Like I said I could be wrong.
You are probably more correct than I. During the 50's Artie Arnell and Manganelli were both popular and I'm probably getting them mixed up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 461 - 480 of9,572
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the New Kensington Forum right now

Search the New Kensington Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 9 min Pa republic 51,206
Polarizing Political View Points (Dec '10) 15 hr Chuck C 1,656
“memories only” of new kensington and local areas (Jan '10) Sun parsecsam 1,718
"bit coin" Apr 12 RICHARD 6
Pick a word for Obama Apr 8 RICHARD 35
"new kensington's future" Apr 8 S Hannity 4
New Kensington Mafia (Sep '08) Apr 8 RICHARD 199
•••
•••
•••
•••

New Kensington Jobs

•••