Remember New Ken nightlife
Corruption

AOL

#4344 Sep 3, 2010
WKPA wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of sports, what the heck is going on with the athletic teams at VAlley High school? They seem to be hiring and firing people regularly and the Basketball and football teams stink! I see where many good athletes transfer for " personal reasons" out of the school district. What gives?
Since everyone around here loves to talk about corruption, how much did we NK taxpayers have to pony up to turn VHS Stadium into a field fit for a college football team? There's no way the boosters paid for all of that construction/renovation.

Does a HS football team really need artificial turf?

Corruption, indeed.

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

#4345 Sep 3, 2010
Anybody remember the Oakmont Hulton Bridge Trolley from New Kensington across the river through Springdale and back across the bridge in Oakmont and then on to Pittsburgh?
RICHARD

Boise, ID

#4346 Sep 5, 2010
Parsec Sam wrote:
Anybody remember the Oakmont Hulton Bridge Trolley from New Kensington across the river through Springdale and back across the bridge in Oakmont and then on to Pittsburgh?
Thanks Sam,i almost forgot about the trolley,my father used to take it when he worked in Pgh,he was a meat cutter.=====RICH=====.
Margie

Glenshaw, PA

#4347 Sep 5, 2010
In old FBI files, there is an indication that back in the 1950s there was pressure exerted on tavern owners in NK to carry Stoneys over Rolling Rock beer. Any idea why that would have been? Or what were the popular brands of beer back then?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4348 Sep 5, 2010
Margie wrote:
In old FBI files, there is an indication that back in the 1950s there was pressure exerted on tavern owners in NK to carry Stoneys over Rolling Rock beer. Any idea why that would have been? Or what were the popular brands of beer back then?
A little before my beer appreciating days but I do remember that there was a grocery store in New Jersey (A&P, I think) that blew up after they refused to carry the mob's brand of detergent - as I remember, the detergent was called Ecolo-G.

Perhaps the Stoneys push meant that the Family had acquired a brewery.

Location hidden

#4349 Sep 5, 2010
There's an interesting little snippet from a book called "The Mafia made easy" that can be accessed by doing a Google search on "Ecolo-G + Mafia detergent"

I didn't remember that a couple of store managers were actually murdered because of the A&P's refusal to carry the product. The FDA finally banned the detergent (1971) for being an inferior product based on its "Corrosive and allergic" properties.
Margie

Glenshaw, PA

#4350 Sep 5, 2010
KenHi61 wrote:
<quoted text>
A little before my beer appreciating days but I do remember that there was a grocery store in New Jersey (A&P, I think) that blew up after they refused to carry the mob's brand of detergent - as I remember, the detergent was called Ecolo-G.
Perhaps the Stoneys push meant that the Family had acquired a brewery.
Interesting. Apparently there was a similar threat to at least one local bar owner regarding Stoneys. But I thought Jones Brewing owned Stoneys, and I don't think I ever heard of a connection between them and the Family. Maybe Jones "hired" the Family to "promote" their product.
easy12

Plymouth, MA

#4351 Sep 5, 2010
Margie wrote:
One was "Carlings Black Label". New on the scene in the 50's.
Olderndirt

Meadville, PA

#4352 Sep 5, 2010
Margie...As a former beer delivery guy for the Carlucci, Mannerino family's, Vic Carlucci had the local franchise for Stoney's beer. He worked pretty hard to get New Ken taverns to promote it. He also pushed Budweiser that was franchised to Larussa Beer Distributors in Tarentum. Budweiser came out with a different tap for their keigs. Vic Carlucci pushed these new taps into many of the taverns and clubs. When Vic went to jail, that ended the Stoney's rise in popularity but Larussa made out very well.
We stocked Silver Top which was a big seller at only one place, the colored Elks on 3rd ave., where Rich danced(hah). That was the only place that I remember ever delivering Silver Top.
Carlings was the big seller back then. Galli's just off 7th st. had that franchise and stocked thousands of cases in their warehouse there. I personally delivered hundreds of cases of Carlings every week, all over town.
Some of the other mildly popular beers around town were Iron City, Duquesne, Schlitz, Schmidts and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Rolling Rock wasn't nearly as popular then as it became later.
Hey Margie, can you direct me to those FBI files about Stoneys???

Location hidden

#4353 Sep 5, 2010
http://books.google.com/books...

This is a long link - the story of the Ecolo-G detergent and the murder of A&P store managers starts at the bottom of P 159. The book is "The Mafia made easy" by Peter DeVico and is found in google books. this link should take you to page 160.
Margie

Glenshaw, PA

#4354 Sep 6, 2010
Olderndirt wrote:
Margie...As a former beer delivery guy for the Carlucci, Mannerino family's, Vic Carlucci had the local franchise for Stoney's beer. He worked pretty hard to get New Ken taverns to promote it. He also pushed Budweiser that was franchised to Larussa Beer Distributors in Tarentum. Budweiser came out with a different tap for their keigs. Vic Carlucci pushed these new taps into many of the taverns and clubs. When Vic went to jail, that ended the Stoney's rise in popularity but Larussa made out very well.
We stocked Silver Top which was a big seller at only one place, the colored Elks on 3rd ave., where Rich danced(hah). That was the only place that I remember ever delivering Silver Top.
Carlings was the big seller back then. Galli's just off 7th st. had that franchise and stocked thousands of cases in their warehouse there. I personally delivered hundreds of cases of Carlings every week, all over town.
Some of the other mildly popular beers around town were Iron City, Duquesne, Schlitz, Schmidts and Pabst Blue Ribbon. Rolling Rock wasn't nearly as popular then as it became later.
Hey Margie, can you direct me to those FBI files about Stoneys???
I knew you would have the details! The bit about Stoney's came from an anonymous letter, so who knows what reliability.

Here's the link: http://www.maryferrell.org/wiki/index.php/Mai...

In the upper right "search box" type in 124-10224-10033.

If you get a chance, contact me at maggiebnk at yahoo dot com. I have a funny story regarding a mystery we discussed earlier.
Margie

Glenshaw, PA

#4355 Sep 6, 2010
KenHi61 wrote:
http://books.google.com/books? id=vyIXw1oq56YC&pg=PA160 &lpg=PA160&dq=%22Ecolo -G%22+%2B+Mafia+detergent& source=bl&ots=My6VIZ9h4s &sig=tKbKO7_nFcZ1DpXnOTWvZ bP8fKU&hl=en&ei=5oCDTN TQH4O8lQequujGDw&sa=X& oi=book_result&ct=result &resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ6AE wAA#v=onepage&q&f=fals e
This is a long link - the story of the Ecolo-G detergent and the murder of A&P store managers starts at the bottom of P 159. The book is "The Mafia made easy" by Peter DeVico and is found in google books. this link should take you to page 160.
Thanks for the link. I'm sure stories like this weren't that unusual. I'm just not sure about the "Stoneys" one, as I said above. There a couple of anonymous letters scattered throug the FBI stuff, and most seems to be of dubious quality.
Rat Back

Citrus Heights, CA

#4356 Sep 6, 2010
I understand that Louie Keller, Ken-Hi class of 1961 passed away last week in Florida. Lou had been in declining health for several years with Heart/Kidney problems. No obit has yet appeared in the VND.
Kensington Kid

New Kensington, PA

#4357 Sep 6, 2010
Rat Back wrote:
I understand that Louie Keller, Ken-Hi class of 1961 passed away last week in Florida. Lou had been in declining health for several years with Heart/Kidney problems. No obit has yet appeared in the VND.
L I was told Lou died on Thursday, September 2nd.
Valley Camp Girl

New Kensington, PA

#4358 Sep 8, 2010
Lou Keller's obit is in todays Valley News Dispatch. Becky
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4359 Sep 8, 2010
Louis C. Keller
Lauderhill, Fla.
Formerly of Lower Burrell
Louis C. Keller, 67, of Lauderhill, Fla., formerly of Lower Burrell, went to be with the Lord on Thursday, Sept. 2, 2010. Louie was born Feb. 15, 1943, in New Kensington, to the late Charles "Winnie" Keller and Anita (Ratini) Keller. He proudly served his country in the Army for several years, then went on to work for PPG Industries as a computer systems supervisor. After retiring from PPG, he opened his own computer store which he ran for several years. He then moved to Florida where he lived for the past nine years. Louie was an avid fisherman, enjoyed watching sports, especially the Steelers, liked to cook, loved doo-wop and oldies music, enjoyed doing work around the house, and spending time with his family. In addition to his parents, Louie was preceded in death by his brother, John W. Keller. He is survived by his son, Jason Keller, of Lower Burrell; loving wife of three years, Eileen (Periello) Keller; three sisters, Ursula Keller Howard, Carol Keller Soltys and Beverly Keller Celona, all of Florida; and several nieces and nephews. A memorial Mass will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010, in Mt. St. Peter Church, New Kensington.
RICHARD

Boise, ID

#4360 Sep 9, 2010
Ambrose Kid 60 wrote:
Louis C. Keller
Lauderhill, Fla.
Formerly of Lower Burrell
Louis C. Keller, 67, of Lauderhill, Fla., formerly of Lower Burrell, went to be with the Lord on Thursday, Sept. 2, 2010. Louie was born Feb. 15, 1943, in New Kensington, to the late Charles "Winnie" Keller and Anita (Ratini) Keller. He proudly served his country in the Army for several years, then went on to work for PPG Industries as a computer systems supervisor. After retiring from PPG, he opened his own computer store which he ran for several years. He then moved to Florida where he lived for the past nine years. Louie was an avid fisherman, enjoyed watching sports, especially the Steelers, liked to cook, loved doo-wop and oldies music, enjoyed doing work around the house, and spending time with his family. In addition to his parents, Louie was preceded in death by his brother, John W. Keller. He is survived by his son, Jason Keller, of Lower Burrell; loving wife of three years, Eileen (Periello) Keller; three sisters, Ursula Keller Howard, Carol Keller Soltys and Beverly Keller Celona, all of Florida; and several nieces and nephews. A memorial Mass will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010, in Mt. St. Peter Church, New Kensington.
Thanks Brose i left a note for the family,take care.======RICH======.
Belva Magee Horvath

AOL

#4361 Sep 10, 2010
All I remember is the Kenmar Hotel and all the Zoot suits and blue suede shoes standing in front. I alsio remember one of the Mannarino family funerals which Frank Sinatra attended. I also remember New Ken was known as "Little Chicago". All this did not make me proud. Our little country town was lucky to have the Alunimun Company there so it could survive for a while but look at it now....was there a few year ago and it is a pitiful area.
Guido

Monessen, PA

#4362 Sep 11, 2010
I remember the nightlife in NuKen very well...the Rustic restaurant open all the time, and next door the Grande Lounge...met Ron Chavous from WYDD in there one night...what a howl...
As for 'the store that didn't sell anything', according to my dad (who shall remain anonymous), it was a bookie joint. Lemme know if you know something different...
Guido

Monessen, PA

#4363 Sep 11, 2010
And, I also remember as a child walking down 5th Avenue in front of Hart's, seeing 2 dudes dead in a car riddled with bullet holes...what was that about? I remember Kelly Mannarino and how his daughter (forget her name now) used to drive a Caddy convertible to school. I couldn't even afford to buy a $25 jalopy. I probably know way more than I should about what went on 'behind the scenes' in NuKen, but I still have fond memories of all the people and places...like Rosa's Pizza Shop...anyone remember that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
" new kensington & arnold " May 20 Richard 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Jan Rea as Council Member? May 11 Zeke the Pinhead 2
Local Politics Do you approve of Jason Altmire as Representative? (Sep '12) May 11 Zeke the Pinhead 4
Local Politics Do you approve of Dan Onorato as County Chief E... May 11 Zeke the Pinhead 2
News Clinton's sandwich policy: yes on fries, at lea... May 8 Mikey 16
You know your in New Ken when (Oct '10) May 4 Ed C 356
Wanted: Ken Penn Amusements Memorabilia, Info,... (Aug '15) May 3 valley heights girl 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Kensington Mortgages