Tony V of Valley Heights

Ambler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Aybody remember Southside Johnny's across from the Police Station in the late 70's?
Valley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Yes I do I used go to the place I can not remeber why it closed dowm
good old boys

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Tony V of Valley Heights wrote:
Aybody remember Southside Johnny's across from the Police Station in the late 70's?
johnny petrishen owned southside johnnies he later opened up a club called gimicks in the old bachelors club in the early 80s it was only open maybe two yrs, johnny also owns nick chevrolet in tarentum.
good old boys

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't remember Mike's or Ray's. Where on 10th was Ray's? You're right about Murphy's. They had a great hot dog too. I'll stick with Coney Island as the best though. It's the only hot dog I'd buy when I wasn't even hungry. I still remember the fresh hot steamed bun. My favorite condiments were catsup and onions. The same guy was there every day from morning to night and I rarely saw the place busy. He may have been in the numbers business too.
Funny the things that stick in the mind.
ray calcagno owned rays hotdog shop.. his sister ran it for him, as he was busy working for the mannarinos collecting from the pinball,and cigarette machines. i see ray from time to time i will ask him where his dog shop was located.
Valley

Burlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

good old boys wrote:
<quoted text>johnny petrishen owned southside johnnies he later opened up a club called gimicks in the old bachelors club in the early 80s it was only open maybe two yrs, johnny also owns nick chevrolet in tarentum.
thanks I had no idea gimicks opened up in the old club

I took the best looking girl home I ever picked up from the southside johnies.
parsecsam

Gardena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

I'm glad to see this site is still growing. What memories! This has got to be the best site ever, for me. Speaking of memories; I remember Murphy's Five and Dime, but I remember the (Whoops forgot what it was called, but it was ground meat and sauce that melted in your mouth.) Used to get those after or between movies. Which brings up the Liberty Theater, where I was first taken when I was five years old, then later in 1939 saw Charlie Chaplin in "The Great Dictator" and even later Shane.
How about the great market on Fourth Ave. and Eighth Street? And don't forget the Keystone Dairy. The school trips to Kennywood Park were part of that time. Sorry guys, you got me going. Hope you got the book, Olderndirt. Keep those memories coming!
Rat

Rocklin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't remember Mike's or Ray's. Where on 10th was Ray's? You're right about Murphy's. They had a great hot dog too. I'll stick with Coney Island as the best though. It's the only hot dog I'd buy when I wasn't even hungry. I still remember the fresh hot steamed bun. My favorite condiments were catsup and onions. The same guy was there every day from morning to night and I rarely saw the place busy. He may have been in the numbers business too.
Funny the things that stick in the mind.
I don't know if we're talking about the same "Rays" but in the 1950's there was a Ray's Lunch directly accross 10th street from Adams Pool Room. It sat on the corner of the alley and 10th street. I think the shoe shine parlor was next door on the 4th ave. side.
xnewken

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Was there ever a bar on 10st between 5th & 4th ave that Johnny Krupa the undertaker was owner or part owner of? It might have been in the 70's.Anybody recall that?
xnewken

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

parsecsam wrote:
I'm glad to see this site is still growing. What memories! This has got to be the best site ever, for me. Speaking of memories; I remember Murphy's Five and Dime, but I remember the (Whoops forgot what it was called, but it was ground meat and sauce that melted in your mouth.) Used to get those after or between movies. Which brings up the Liberty Theater, where I was first taken when I was five years old, then later in 1939 saw Charlie Chaplin in "The Great Dictator" and even later Shane.
How about the great market on Fourth Ave. and Eighth Street? And don't forget the Keystone Dairy. The school trips to Kennywood Park were part of that time. Sorry guys, you got me going. Hope you got the book, Olderndirt. Keep those memories coming!
could you be thinking about Doc's Diner it was on the other side of 8st.near the Liberty,I think it was next to the gas station where Olderndirt worked ,later on he moved to Parnassus. The market you could be thinking about could have been Lamendolas & I if I recall, there was next to that was a variety store.
Atlantan

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

xnewken wrote:
Was there ever a bar on 10st between 5th & 4th ave that Johnny Krupa the undertaker was owner or part owner of? It might have been in the 70's.Anybody recall that?
I think there were three Johnnies who owned the bar. john Petrishen of Nick Chevrolet, Johnny Krupa whose family had an undertaking business and another I can't remember. It was quite the place from maybe 1979 until the mid 80s or so.
The parents of one of my friends here in Atlanta lived in Tarentum in the late 40s and spent most of their leisure and shopping time in New Kensington. Theuy have lots of good memories and enjoyed the Copper Kettle (I think!) restaurant that later became Corbin's. I ate at Corbin's frequently, sure was a good place.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

parsecsam wrote:
Hey Sam, how's it going?? LOL you're talking about those "sloppy joes" from Murphy's. several napkins were needed to clean your hands and face after one of them.
The Liberty was the only theater in town that went overboard in advertising their films. I recall several displays in front of the theater that captured the theme of what was playing. When The Mummy played, an usher was stationed next to a dummy wrapped like a mummy in a casket on the sidewalk in front of the theater. many kids were attracted there and wanted to touch and poke the dummy.
You mentioned Keystone Dairy. Was it Keystone or Goldcrest Dairy that was on 4th ave., between 12th and the RR crossing.
One could write a book just on the Kennywood picnics. Ride tickets were sold in all the schools at a discount. Waiting for the train at the 9th st. station early on a Sat. morning. I recall a few close friends and our girlfriends would sit with the colored families on the train. Before we got out of town, the singing would start. We heard the most beautiful spirituals all the way to Kennywood. Lots of great singers in the colored community back then.
All my mail is being transferred to New Mexico where my wife is at this time. I'll be going down in 3 weeks so I won't have your books til then. I'm looking forward to reading everything you sent.
Better stop now.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Rat wrote:
<quoted text> I don't know if we're talking about the same "Rays" but in the 1950's there was a Ray's Lunch directly accross 10th street from Adams Pool Room. It sat on the corner of the alley and 10th street. I think the shoe shine parlor was next door on the 4th ave. side.

Hello Rat, Yes, I do remember it now that some of the fog has cleared. It was a long, thin structure about 10 ft. wide and 100 ft. long. The guy that shined shoes and blocked hats was next door as you say. Across the alley, a couple of businesses away was another shoe shine parlor where I shined shoes. It was owned by Weenie Defalece.
valley camper

San Bernardino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

I also remember the sloppy Joe's from Murphy's. They cost 15 cents when I bought then for lunch when I was a student at 4th Ave Jr High. I then bought 5 cents worth of potato chips at Murphy's followed by a cherry coke purchased at Sun Drug store across 5th ave. Memories of the 50's are coming back.
parsecsam

Cypress, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

xnewken wrote:
<quoted text>The market you could be thinking about could have been Lamendolas & I if I recall, there was next to that was a variety store.

You got it; Lamendolas was the market. Your right on the variety store. There was an ally after that. I read the first Superman magazine in that store. I spent a lot of time there while waiting for my Dad to finish work. The owner was a nice guy.
good old boys

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Rat wrote:
<quoted text> I don't know if we're talking about the same "Rays" but in the 1950's there was a Ray's Lunch directly accross 10th street from Adams Pool Room. It sat on the corner of the alley and 10th street. I think the shoe shine parlor was next door on the 4th ave. side.
hey rat, i saw ray today and he said his place was on 10th st... you are right.
parsecsam

Cypress, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Sam, how's it going?? LOL you're talking about those "sloppy joes" from Murphy's. several napkins were needed to clean your hands and face after one of them.
The Liberty was the only theater in town that went overboard in advertising their films. I recall several displays in front of the theater that captured the theme of what was playing. When The Mummy played, an usher was stationed next to a dummy wrapped like a mummy in a casket on the sidewalk in front of the theater. many kids were attracted there and wanted to touch and poke the dummy.
You mentioned Keystone Dairy. Was it Keystone or Goldcrest Dairy that was on 4th ave., between 12th and the RR crossing.
One could write a book just on the Kennywood picnics. Ride tickets were sold in all the schools at a discount. Waiting for the train at the 9th st. station early on a Sat. morning. I recall a few close friends and our girlfriends would sit with the colored families on the train. Before we got out of town, the singing would start. We heard the most beautiful spirituals all the way to Kennywood. Lots of great singers in the colored community back then.
All my mail is being transferred to New Mexico where my wife is at this time. I'll be going down in 3 weeks so I won't have your books til then. I'm looking forward to reading everything you sent.
Doing fine Olderndirt. "Sloppy Joes" were great and messy. You move to New Mexico, we be almost neighbors. The Keystone Dairy was almost in Parnasus, so the other one was the Goldcrest Dairy. Do you remember Silverman's Department store? I worked there and was Santa Claus two years running. When I was in the Jr. Patrol my best friend in the Patrol was a kid named Stoney.
Keep those memories coming.
parsecsam

Cypress, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
When The Mummy played, an usher was stationed next to a dummy wrapped like a mummy in a casket on the sidewalk in front of the theater. many kids were attracted there and wanted to touch and poke the dummy.
Forgot. "The Mummy" scared the crap out of me. I was shaken after that one. Saw it at the Liberty.
xnewken

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

There was also a Meadow Gold Dairy in Parnassus
xnewken

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

parsecsam wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it; Lamendolas was the market. Your right on the variety store. There was an ally after that. I read the first Superman magazine in that store. I spent a lot of time there while waiting for my Dad to finish work. The owner was a nice guy.
Lamendola rented out some of his apartments in the rear of the business to a bunch of traveling gypsies,that was one hell of a mistake,they robbed him blind in the time they were there,along with a lot of property from other residents in the area.It was unbelievable to see how many of them lived in those apartments.I'm pretty sure there were some cases that they were arrested for.They had a few women that were prostituting.If there are any of the "old timers" out there from the late 40's or early 50's you might remember this.

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

xnewken wrote:
<quoted text>Lamendola rented out some of his apartments in the rear of the business to a bunch of traveling gypsies,that was one hell of a mistake,they robbed him blind in the time they were there,along with a lot of property from other residents in the area.It was unbelievable to see how many of them lived in those apartments.I'm pretty sure there were some cases that they were arrested for.They had a few women that were prostituting.If there are any of the "old timers" out there from the late 40's or early 50's you might remember this.
Funny the things that go on right under ones nose. My Dad's store was about five stores up Fourth avenue from Lamadola's, New Kensington Auto Parts. I don't think I ever heard any thing about the gypsy's capers. Although, the office above the store was robbed. They broke into the safe. Never found out who robbed us. I always thought my uncle owed the boys some $ and let them in to pay them off.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 401 - 420 of9,576
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New Kensington Discussions

Search the New Kensington Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 15 min Easter Bunny 51,291
Polarizing Political View Points (Dec '10) 3 hr easy 1,667
“memories only” of new kensington and local areas (Jan '10) 18 hr StJoesKid61-69 1,719
"Isn't life just grand" (Aug '12) Fri RICHARD 7
"new kensington's future" Fri RICHARD 5
"bit coin" Fri RICHARD 8
funzie's sports bar (Jul '08) Thu Joe 110
•••
•••
•••
New Kensington Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

New Kensington Jobs