Remember New Ken nightlife
getreal

United States

#4052 May 12, 2010
Margie wrote:
Here's a list of social clubs from the same directory.
Aluminum City Club, 1284 4th Ave.- Amicus Club, 1533 5th Ave., Arnold - Arnold Athletic Club,- 1717 ˝ 5th Ave., Arnold - Aveco, 1101 Drey St., Arnold - Bachelor Club, 330 10th St.- Bazbina Society, 1036 2nd Ave.- Eagles Club, 981 5th Ave.- Firemen’s Club, 1809 5th Ave., Arnold - Frohsinn Singing Society, 853 2nd Ave.- Giuseppe Garibaldi Club, 313 11th St.- Italo-American Social Club, 1195 5th Ave.- Laetos Club, 940 5th Ave.- Lions Club, 700 4th Ave.- New Colony Club, 418 9th St.- New Kensington Hunting & Fisherman’s Club, 207 Ferry St.- Polish Lancer Society, 784 2nd Ave.- Seventh Street Sportsmans Club, 842 ˝ 7th St.- Slovak Sokol, 1434 5th Ave., Arnold - Slovak Workers Society, 1510 4th Ave., Arnold - Syrian American Club, 1157 4th Ave.- Trojan Club, 1151 4th Ave.- Ukrainian Citizens Club, 1400 4th Ave., Arnold - Umbria Society, 1714 3rd Ave., Arnold
Great job Margie.....Looks like my favorite watering hole, the "Greek Club", wasn't around in the late 40's.
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4053 May 12, 2010
WKPA- 3rd Ave @ 10th St. wasn't always a rough place. Remember that approximately 8000 people entered and left Alcoa's main gate which was just down the street. Ms. Weber was a very attractive woman. She was a very accomplished bowler. She competed all over the country. I remember that she had very well manicured finger nails with the exception of those nails which had to be placed in the holes of the bowling ball.
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4054 May 12, 2010
Clawson's became Gonella's. Clawson's then opened a barbecue restaurant out the old Leechburg Rd at a location which is close to the present location of St. Margaret Mary's RC Church. It was a little further out the road than the church property; but, that makes a good enough landmark for government work.
easy12

Plymouth, MA

#4055 May 12, 2010
getreal wrote:
<quoted text>
Mornin Easy, If my memory serves me right, which it often doesn't, I recall the guy too. He was a Mannerino but not related to Sam or Kelly's family. To the best of my poor memory, there was more than one Mannerino family that lived in New Ken. I recall the guy as rather arrogant and pretty well ignored by the guys that trolled the business district.
Thanks "getreal", Helpful, and I am going to agree with you, although not quite sure....Always thought he was connected but never a name. He ruled that corner. CC thought this would be a no-brainer for you...He was Italian about 6'2" and had dark short curly hair. Arms were as big as the average guys leg and a chest that was huge.
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4056 May 12, 2010
kalfromtheburg wrote:
Thank you, I did know that. Kal<quoted text>
On which day was the list of missing classmates posted? I have a lot of addresses; but, I don't know who is missing.
easy12

Plymouth, MA

#4057 May 12, 2010
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text> Hello Floyd...Sorry can`t help with that one,so meany big characters around in those days...Glad to see you back posting .. C.C.
CC, been busy but have been attentive. Couldn't get into all the fore-play and the love in. I guess nothing remarkable. I am going to check base with Gary S. today. I haven't been able to get a hold of him. I think every one is busy with grand kids and little league baseball.....
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4058 May 12, 2010
Get real- If my memory serves me correctly, that guy was killed in an automobile accident, shortly after 56 was opened as a 4 lane. It seems to me that the article in the Dispatch talked about witnesses describing being passed by a vehile (Red Cadillac convertible) going about 100 MPH and that that vehicle went off the road at a spot close to the turn to Tarentum off of the 56 Bypass. (Circa 1959)
Chuck

West Palm Beach, FL

#4059 May 12, 2010
Kid 60 Bring me up to date @ "Rabbits Foot Lake" Has a Condo. been built on that site??
You are right about 3th& 10thSt. My mothers oldest sister Alice Hadley ,went in & out of that gate for over 25 years and never had a problem in that neighborhood,at least back in the days.. C.C.
Chuck

West Palm Beach, FL

#4060 May 12, 2010
easy12 wrote:
<quoted text> CC, been busy but have been attentive. Couldn't get into all the fore-play and the love in. I guess nothing remarkable. I am going to check base with Gary S. today. I haven't been able to get a hold of him. I think every one is busy with grand kids and little league baseball.....
Easy got that right fore- play take a little longer in the 60`sIf you think about it give Gary my EM address I got a story I know he would like to here.. [email protected] Thanks Floyd
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4061 May 12, 2010
Chuck wrote:
Kid 60 Bring me up to date @ "Rabbits Foot Lake" Has a Condo. been built on that site??
You are right about 3th& 10thSt. My mothers oldest sister Alice Hadley ,went in & out of that gate for over 25 years and never had a problem in that neighborhood,at least back in the days.. C.C.
Rabbit's Foot Lake is no more. It is in the preparation stages to have a condo complex built there. There were huge environmental problems which had to be overcome in order to allow the lake to be completely drained. LB Planning Commisssion held a number of hearings. Their issue was sight lines from the properties on Cleveland Drive. Finally, it was agreed that the hill would be cropped enough to allow the condoes to not intrude on the view.

Zicarelli Enterprises is the owner and contractor.
easy12

Plymouth, MA

#4062 May 12, 2010
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>Easy got that right fore- play take a little longer in the 60`sIf you think about it give Gary my EM address I got a story I know he would like to here.. [email protected] Thanks Floyd
CC, I will do that.He doesn't do much email so don't expect much.
getreal

United States

#4063 May 12, 2010
Ambrose Kid 60 wrote:
Get real- If my memory serves me correctly, that guy was killed in an automobile accident, shortly after 56 was opened as a 4 lane. It seems to me that the article in the Dispatch talked about witnesses describing being passed by a vehile (Red Cadillac convertible) going about 100 MPH and that that vehicle went off the road at a spot close to the turn to Tarentum off of the 56 Bypass.(Circa 1959)
I wasn't sure if his Caddy was red or a convertable but that's what I thought it was. I wasn't around in 1959 but never saw the guy again when I got back to town in late 59. The bipass seemed to be a racetrack when it opened. A good buddy of mine, Joe Hourigan, was killed there and wiped out a recently married couple in the process. A carload of kids clipped off a tele pole that fell across their car, killing at least one and leaving some in the hospital for a long time, on the bipass. I remember driving 100mph on my way to Leechburg in 1956 on occasion and was in a wreck there as a passanger in a buddy's car. Nobody got hurt in that one.
Chuck

Boca Raton, FL

#4064 May 12, 2010
easy12 wrote:
<quoted text>CC, I will do that.He doesn't do much email so don't expect much.
OK understand,I just had ,something to share,with him ,from meany meany years age.Funny how things come back too mind,and why,after so long ago,forgotten.Your brother as I remember never had much to say,but when he did ,it was worth listen to.Bob Archibold,send me a long EM. the other day.Everthing is find& dandy there.I`ll let him know,you post on RNKNL.from time to time.OK my Friend I`ll stop bending your ear.. C.C.
Chuck

Boca Raton, FL

#4065 May 12, 2010
Hay Richard ...Where the hell you at my man.By now I know you must a ton to add.let it out befor it reaches critical mass..Your Bud C.C.
Valley Camp Girl

New Kensington, PA

#4066 May 12, 2010
Ambrose Kid 60 wrote:
<quoted text>
On which day was the list of missing classmates posted? I have a lot of addresses; but, I don't know who is missing.
Ambrose Kid 60, it was in Monday's Valley News. Becky
RICHARD

United States

#4067 May 12, 2010
easy12 wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the guy that used to stand on the corner of 9th & 5th in front of the Sun Drug just about every night. His big new Cadillac was always parked right on the corner. Oh yeah... he was big to.
Yes,Easy 12,Getreal is right new him well ,he used to go with a Tina Orsteck who lived on constitution,really wasn't a bad guy when you got to know him,his demeaner was to act that way but if you crossed him then look out,I remember he took me to some joint down the turn-pike got off at the ist exit passed sprindale going west.Lets see now it wasn't a really bad place but really out of the way.Good music alot of dancing people were okay also.No,i thought he was a okay person and a friend wants he relly new and would do anything for you with no return needed.=======RICH======.
WKPA

Harleysville, PA

#4068 May 13, 2010
Ambrose Kid 60 wrote:
WKPA- 3rd Ave @ 10th St. wasn't always a rough place. Remember that approximately 8000 people entered and left Alcoa's main gate which was just down the street. Ms. Weber was a very attractive woman. She was a very accomplished bowler. She competed all over the country. I remember that she had very well manicured finger nails with the exception of those nails which had to be placed in the holes of the bowling ball.
You have a great memory! she was also a very nice lady
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4069 May 13, 2010
Valley Camp Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Ambrose Kid 60, it was in Monday's Valley News. Becky
One of the missing:

Edith Roberts Welty, MD ’68, has
devoted numerous years to working with her husband,
Thomas Koester Welty, MD ’69, on reservations in the
southwestern United States. Roberts Welty wrote the
chapter “American Indian and Alaska Native Women” in
Lila A. Wallis’s Textbook of Women's Health and is active
in the Global AIDS Alliance and other projects targeting
AIDS in Africa. The Weltys plan to move to Nampa, Idaho,
where Roberts Welty will help staff a low-income health
clinic with her physician daughter.
Thomas Koester Welty, MD ’69, fights AIDS alongside

Eric Vonderheid is also a physician. He has had 143 intellectual papers published in the field of Biomedics.

I have e-mailed both associations where I discovered this information. I have asked them to have Edith and Eric contact me.
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#4070 May 13, 2010
WKPA- I believe that she is still living. Her son, Alphonse Weber lives in LB. He is a financial consultant with Heffren Tillotson in Pgh. He is a member of LB Rotary and I see him at King's almost every Tuesday morning. He is chairman of LB Civil Service Commission.
Chuck

Miami, FL

#4071 May 14, 2010
easy12 wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks "getreal", Helpful, and I am going to agree with you, although not quite sure....Always thought he was connected but never a name. He ruled that corner. CC thought this would be a no-brainer for you...He was Italian about 6'2" and had dark short curly hair. Arms were as big as the average guys leg and a chest that was huge.
12 I have no recall for this guy.but it did remind me about a funny story.If you remember in the sun drug store,to the right of the back door,were maybe 5-6 pay phones,first stop was to check the coin returns,all ways good for a few dimes.And reading the names & numbers and what was avalable,if you called..
At the 5th.Ave. poolroom,for 25 cents,they would sale you ,what was called ,a 2x4 comic book.The young boys in town loved those little books.They put todays xxx stuff to shame Now we have to remember this was in the 50s.I went to ST.JOES. grade school,I guess I was in 5-6 grade,Damed if one of the Sisters and don`t,and don`t ask me how, found a 2x4 in with my books Man the sh==t hit the fan,over that little book..Later I found out , little kiss ass ,Goodie droped a dime on me...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHUCKIE CROGHAN Speaks (Feb '10) Sep 19 KenHi61 1,669
New Kensington Mafia (Sep '08) Sep 14 Joe Balls 222
funzie's sports bar (Jul '08) Sep 10 Jordan 112
News Commandment signs sprout across Pennsylvania to... Sep 2 Bob Rodgers 1
Barsky Hotel (Feb '07) Sep 2 Bob Rodgers 14
News Retired priest accused of forcing boy to perfor... Aug '17 RCC SikFux 2Burn ... 2
"new kensington's future" (Apr '14) Jul '17 Richard 37

New Kensington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Kensington Mortgages