Remember New Ken nightlife
Atlantan

Atlanta, GA

#262 Jul 13, 2008
I grew up in Lower Burrell and love to hear tales of New Kensington's glamorous past. Sure would make a great book and/or movie. I wish I had paid more attention when I lived there but I remember and in some case still have contact with a number of the people mentioned in the forum.
Rowdy Herrington is an old friend I have not seen in many years. He grew up in Penn Hills. Not long ago he made a movie about a golfer and some of the scenes were shot very near my shop in Atlanta. Wish I had known in time, would have gone to see him.
Olderndirt

Kittanning, PA

#263 Jul 13, 2008
Atlantan wrote:
I grew up in Lower Burrell and love to hear tales of New Kensington's glamorous past. Sure would make a great book and/or movie. I wish I had paid more attention when I lived there but I remember and in some case still have contact with a number of the people mentioned in the forum.
Rowdy Herrington is an old friend I have not seen in many years. He grew up in Penn Hills. Not long ago he made a movie about a golfer and some of the scenes were shot very near my shop in Atlanta. Wish I had known in time, would have gone to see him.
Rowdy's dad, Jack and I were close friends and lived across the street from each other in Penn Hills. We had some good times together.
Looks like Rowdy's in the "big time" these days. He was instrumental in getting 2 movies made in the Pgh. area.
xnewken

AOL

#264 Jul 14, 2008
What ever happened to our mafioso niece Georgia? It looks like we called her bluff.How R you getting along with the book Georgia?
nkr

Glendale, CA

#265 Jul 14, 2008
down with Ben's Clothing Store and adjoining buildings.

Yippee..... finally.

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

#266 Jul 14, 2008
Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
Rowdy's dad, Jack and I were close friends and lived across the street from each other in Penn Hills. We had some good times together.
Looks like Rowdy's in the "big time" these days. He was instrumental in getting 2 movies made in the Pgh. area.
I went into the army in 1951, so I don't know Rowdy H. but if you go to imdb.com and type in his name you will see info about some of his work. Type my name in and you will some of my stuff.
I'll check around LA and see if I can find him. If he is in the industry he can be located.
Tom R

Medina, OH

#267 Jul 16, 2008
I just discovered this site. Wow, a lot of familiar names and places. I grew up in New Ken in the 50s - 60s, up on the hill behind Martin School. My father knew Kelly Manninero. They were the same age and went to High School together. My Dad played guitar and I think he said that Kelly was a musician too. I'm not sure. My Dad played in every club, bar and dive in the valley. He told me stories about the Frosian Inn. I think it was the Frosian Singing Society. It may have come from Europe (Fresian). I went tow years of Jr. High at Parnassus. Does anyone remember Slick's store right across from the school? There were a couple of stores there. Slick had a retarded brother named Henry that we harasses mercilessly. I'll post again when I have had a chance to read all this stuff.
Rat

Fair Oaks, CA

#268 Jul 16, 2008
Tom R wrote:
I just discovered this site. Wow, a lot of familiar names and places. I grew up in New Ken in the 50s - 60s, up on the hill behind Martin School. My father knew Kelly Manninero. They were the same age and went to High School together. My Dad played guitar and I think he said that Kelly was a musician too. I'm not sure. My Dad played in every club, bar and dive in the valley. He told me stories about the Frosian Inn. I think it was the Frosian Singing Society. It may have come from Europe (Fresian). I went tow years of Jr. High at Parnassus. Does anyone remember Slick's store right across from the school? There were a couple of stores there. Slick had a retarded brother named Henry that we harasses mercilessly. I'll post again when I have had a chance to read all this stuff.
I went to PJHS in 1956,and yes I remember Slicks stinkin store. I don't think he ever took a shower in his life. Probably smelled better dead than alive. I also hung out a Snappys, right accross the street from the school.
Tom R

Medina, OH

#269 Jul 17, 2008
Rat wrote:
Any of you out-of-towners that haven't seen NK for several years may want to go to Google Earth and access their "Streetscenes". The deterioration of the downtown and the hill is remarkable.
It you want to remember it as it was, avoid the above recommendation.
I've been back in New Ken recently. There is almost nothing left and what is left is very depressing. I read recently about one of the old banks on the corner of 5th ave. and 9th street closing. They were looking for a home for the great big scale they had in the lobby. I remember it from when I was a kid. Does anyone remember a "club" up in Arnold on about 4th ave. We just used to call it "Hubbies". It was open all night if Hubbie knew you. Great rib eye steak sandwiches. Sgrinias on 5th ave. also. If you were tall enough to put your money on the bar they would serve you.
steve p

AOL

#270 Jul 17, 2008
Tom R wrote:
There are a lot of stories about the Slicker brothers , I don't think too many people know that there wasn't a bathroom in their store ,they used a bucket in the phone booth where a lot of customers got a shock when they walked in to use the phone .I happened to be in there one time when they were cooking chicken in a pressure cooker, which was supposed to be a no-no, I guess you know what happened -yep!!!! "it exploded" that chicken never went to waste,they scraped up what they could & ate it.There are many stories about them .They lived in the attic of a house a few doors up from their store on the opposite side.They were supposed to have another brother who was an exec. at Alcoa.I have many stories about those Slicker boys.
Tom R

Medina, OH

#271 Jul 17, 2008
New story to me, but not really surprising. I remember kids would go into Slicks to the magazines in the back as a diversion while another kid would try to steal the 5 cent bags of potato chips in the front of the store. Slick would run everybody out but they'd be back in a couple of days. Someone mentioned Thompson's Tea Room. I remember it was in an old house in Parnassus. Really good roast beef dinners and their banana nut bread was the best. Sometimes when my family would go to the Rustic to eat one of the Melandris would flip my dad double or nothing for the meal. I remember the french fries with gravy. YUM.
chtl

Vandergrift, PA

#272 Jul 17, 2008
Tom R wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been back in New Ken recently. There is almost nothing left and what is left is very depressing. I read recently about one of the old banks on the corner of 5th ave. and 9th street closing. They were looking for a home for the great big scale they had in the lobby. I remember it from when I was a kid. Does anyone remember a "club" up in Arnold on about 4th ave. We just used to call it "Hubbies". It was open all night if Hubbie knew you. Great rib eye steak sandwiches. Sgrinias on 5th ave. also. If you were tall enough to put your money on the bar they would serve you.
I was too young to enjoy hubbies but once in a while my folks would take me for a sandwhich. the food very good as I remember

The guy I remeber as hubbie worked in a state store after the bar closed down I think he is retired by now
good old boys

New Castle, PA

#273 Jul 17, 2008
chtl wrote:
<quoted text>
I was too young to enjoy hubbies but once in a while my folks would take me for a sandwhich. the food very good as I remember
The guy I remeber as hubbie worked in a state store after the bar closed down I think he is retired by now
Hubby is still around, him and his son Phillip run Phillips lounge. It;s the former IAES club on 4th & 18th st in arnold,,, great food and a nice bar.. No trouble.
Tom R

Medina, OH

#274 Jul 18, 2008
good old boys wrote:
<quoted text>Hubby is still around, him and his son Phillip run Phillips lounge. It;s the former IAES club on 4th & 18th st in arnold,,, great food and a nice bar.. No trouble.
I'll have to stop by the next time I'm in town.
Tom R

Park Ridge, NJ

#275 Jul 19, 2008
Did anyone go to Crystal Springs, Melwood or Bowsters to swim? I remember going to a bar in Kinlock. Probably a old miners' joint.
stevep

AOL

#276 Jul 20, 2008
There was 2 or 3 bars in KInloch-Heredas & MOrningstar was 2 of them but the bar popular with the miners was Barking Bens or some called it Sues.It was owned by John Regoli's mother Sue.It was located near the Parnassus triangle .She later married Sam Tamburro.That name should ring a bell with the New Ken. sports buffs.I think he had something to do with one of the bowling alleys in New Ken.One story about Ben's that my Dad told me was when the songs "Big John" & "Sixteen Tons" came out that is all that was played in there until they were wore out & had to be replaced.Hey Olderndirt!!!!! can you remember how many Red Ball sneakers we wore out walking & hitchhiking to Melwood Park, Willows in Oakmont,Chrystal Springs & Baustert's Beach.How far back did you go to these pools Tom?
Olderndirt

Kittanning, PA

#277 Jul 20, 2008
stevep wrote:
There was 2 or 3 bars in KInloch-Heredas & MOrningstar was 2 of them but the bar popular with the miners was Barking Bens or some called it Sues.It was owned by John Regoli's mother Sue.It was located near the Parnassus triangle .She later married Sam Tamburro.That name should ring a bell with the New Ken. sports buffs.I think he had something to do with one of the bowling alleys in New Ken.One story about Ben's that my Dad told me was when the songs "Big John" & "Sixteen Tons" came out that is all that was played in there until they were wore out & had to be replaced.Hey Olderndirt!!!!! can you remember how many Red Ball sneakers we wore out walking & hitchhiking to Melwood Park, Willows in Oakmont,Chrystal Springs & Baustert's Beach.How far back did you go to these pools Tom?
LOL... The Red Balls were the cheaper sneakers and I always wanted BallBand sneakers that were supposedly better. The BallBands cost was between 5 and 6 dollars and the Red Balls were around 3 to 4 dollars. The BallBands were the most popular on the basketball courts in those days.
Crystal Springs was open after my swimming days were about over. We hitch hiked to the Willows just about everyday in the summer. Occasionally we went to Melwood and Bousters was where the family went on weekends to swim and picnic.
I didn't know Mrs. Regoli married a Tamburro.
That explains how the Regoli boys went to ASU on a scholarship and worked in their athletic dept. They were good kids that went to St. Joe's with my kids.
Tom R

Park Ridge, NJ

#278 Jul 20, 2008
stevep wrote:
Hey Olderndirt!!!!! can you remember how many Red Ball sneakers we wore out walking & hitchhiking to Melwood Park, Willows in Oakmont,Chrystal Springs & Baustert's Beach.How far back did you go to these pools Tom?
I was there in the 50's and early 60's.'70s for Mellwood. I knew a guy who lived in an apartment over the changing/showers. When I was REAL little our family used to go to Crooked Creek to swim. Not the lake, but the creek itself. I think it was near where you cross Crooked Creek on 356(?) Crystal Springs was a hot hang out for us teeny boppers.
Tom R

Park Ridge, NJ

#279 Jul 20, 2008
Any coal miner sons or daughters in the group. My grandfather worked in the Kinlock mines. Here's a link to a cool web site about western Pa. coal miners. Remember the Titanic?
Tom R

Park Ridge, NJ

#280 Jul 20, 2008
Sory, I forgot the link. Here it is. http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
Olderndirt

Mayport, PA

#281 Jul 20, 2008
Steve P. and I swam in the creek too. A place called Rearicks Fording at the time. There was a bridge down the creek about 100 yards.
My granfather was killed in the coalmines in Jefferson Co. in a town called Adrian around 1910.I knew many coalminers that worked Harmarville and Barking. Did many a boilermaker with some of them on payday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"new kensington's future" (Apr '14) 14 hr Parsecsam 34
"Mail Call" (Oct '13) Apr 22 RICHARD 115
Names of those responsible for building St. Pete's Apr 17 RICHARD 8
Pokemon League Mar '17 anthony1006 1
bar's name across from projects/where new commu... (Sep '09) Mar '17 Leslie Nilsson 30
News Pennsylvania school 10 Commandments marker to b... Mar '17 Vet 3
E. Stella Milko- looking for information on her! (Jun '10) Mar '17 Elva 5

New Kensington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Kensington Mortgages