Remember New Ken nightlife
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#2694 Dec 17, 2009
Democrat or Republican is not the issue. Westmoreland County has voted Republican for the past 20 years. It is certainly not an element in a local election. NK has been represented by John Murtha for years. John Murtha is the king of pork barrell legislation. Unfortunately, NK has not benefitted from the pork, because our local officials have been too lazy or too disinterested to make the right contacts. Pork is only pork if some other congressional district is getting it. All that one needs to do is see the benefits which have befallen Johnstown, Indiana, Kittanning, Etc. to realize the power of our congressman. He won't live forever or get re-elected forever. We would be very smart to take his help while it is available. God forbid what we are going to experience when we are represented by some freshman congressperson. JMHO
Chuckie Croghan

Lake Worth, FL

#2695 Dec 17, 2009
Ambrose Kid 60 wrote:
Democrat or Republican is not the issue. Westmoreland County has voted Republican for the past 20 years. It is certainly not an element in a local election. NK has been represented by John Murtha for years. John Murtha is the king of pork barrell legislation. Unfortunately, NK has not benefitted from the pork, because our local officials have been too lazy or too disinterested to make the right contacts. Pork is only pork if some other congressional district is getting it. All that one needs to do is see the benefits which have befallen Johnstown, Indiana, Kittanning, Etc. to realize the power of our congressman. He won't live forever or get re-elected forever. We would be very smart to take his help while it is available. God forbid what we are going to experience when we are represented by some freshman congressperson. JMHO
I say Vote them all out!!Do you people know what time it is....All are Future are on thin Ice!!!!We are all sick and tired of the same old political groups and big business buying and placeing puppets in office...Replace all REP/DEM that thank they own are Americam system.For God and Country vote them out and yourselves in it is your Duty as a American to step up...It all so your Constitutional right to run for any and all offices up for Election.Step up or pay the price All your parents told all of you about the late 20s & 30s that childplay to what comming...Step Up...
Chuckie Croghan

Lake Worth, FL

#2696 Dec 17, 2009
I do get upset over what happen and this make my head fell as though it my bust so if you see the s that is missing from future or thank that shoud be think get over it or go to h------ Do something,,,
Kenster

Glenshaw, PA

#2697 Dec 17, 2009
valley camper wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember when Kinlock won the little league world series. I played for the Arnold #1 Fire Dept during that period. Kinlock had a very good pitcher and we were one of the teams that could hit him although we did not make it to the playoff game. A few houses in Valley Camp also had outhouses during that time although I believe they were all gone by the end of the 50's.
Kinloch played in the Twin city Midget League, a league for 13 and 14 year olds.

A few other players I remember were the The Venglik brothers(Rich may have been the pitcher you mention),Bill Godsen, Paul Patla, and I think Joe Naunchik and John Regoli played for that team.

I remember going to playoff games at Leslie Stadium under the lights. Arnold Builders Supply, predecessor to Rotters Home Center was one of the top teams then.
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#2698 Dec 18, 2009
Lest we forget, Leslie Stadium was named in memory of an Arnold native who was killed on USS Arizona whenit was bombed in the Pearl Harbor invasion of 12/7/41.
judy C

Glenshaw, PA

#2699 Dec 18, 2009
Yes, I remember downtown new Ken. I can still smell the smells from Ray's Lunch on 10th St. and the Kenmar on Fifth. Remember the infamous Madam Fay? This was a wonderful town to shop in....Ritz Shop, Harts, Silvermans, Thelmas, Storms. And it was safe to walk down the street. What happened to it?

Since: Nov 09

Estero, FL

#2700 Dec 18, 2009
judy C wrote:
Yes, I remember downtown new Ken. I can still smell the smells from Ray's Lunch on 10th St. and the Kenmar on Fifth. Remember the infamous Madam Fay? This was a wonderful town to shop in....Ritz Shop, Harts, Silvermans, Thelmas, Storms. And it was safe to walk down the street. What happened to it?
Madam Fay owned a gas station. Word was "when Madam Fay didnt sell gas she sold a--. Lol Tubby
Kenster

Glenshaw, PA

#2701 Dec 18, 2009
judy C wrote:
Everything must have a reason for being. Route 28 bypassed the town. The coal mines and mills closed. This is no different than the ghost towns of the old west that popped up when the gold mine nearby petered out. And it would take a miracle to change it now.

Take a good look at Lower Burrell. From a retail standpoint it is not far behind the scene in New Ken.

Perhaps the bulldozing mentioned by Ambrose Kid 60 would provide land for an industry that would provide something more than subsistence level employment for the remaining populace. The infrastructure, rail,river, electric power,and natural gas is there.
xnewken

Pittsburgh, PA

#2702 Dec 19, 2009
tubby039 wrote:
<quoted text>Madam Fay owned a gas station. Word was "when Madam Fay didnt sell gas she sold a--. Lol Tubby
I recall Madam Faye having a beauty shop or something on that line on 4th ave,but never a gas station.I recall her driving around town in Cadillac convertibles with young girls with her.Could I be right on some of this info?

Since: Nov 09

Estero, FL

#2703 Dec 19, 2009
xnewken wrote:
<quoted text>I recall Madam Faye having a beauty shop or something on that line on 4th ave,but never a gas station.I recall her driving around town in Cadillac convertibles with young girls with her.Could I be right on some of this info?
possibly I think she had quite a few business ventures Yes I forgot about that big Cadillac Thanks. Tubby
Atlantan

Decatur, GA

#2704 Dec 19, 2009
tubby039 wrote:
<quoted text>possibly I think she had quite a few business ventures Yes I forgot about that big Cadillac Thanks. Tubby
Madam Fae made the television news when she bought a new Cadillac in Pittsburgh and crashed it on the way home. Don't know if that 1966 pale blue car was this one, repaired, or if it was a replacement. She had it for years, parked in the lot on Barnes Street.
In the 1970s I was friends with the kids of a prominent doctor who lived in Lower Burrell. While at their house I overheard one of the kids answer the phone, "Oh, hi Madam!" . Turned out Fae was quite good friends with that "country club" family.
In the 60s my aunt was a hairdressing customer of Madam Fae, who was into some fortune telling at the time. She told my aunt a number of things that came true, including that "a dark haired woman you think is your friend is going to cause you terrible trouble". Won't tell any details, but Boy did that come true.
One of my regrets in life is that I never actually met Madam Fae.
Around 1980 I was driving out the Greensburg Road. Starting near Villela's was string of damaged cars and trucks that must have gone on for a quarter mile. There was Madam Fae standing by the Cadillac which had been hit. Finally came to a Plymouth sedan crashed head on into a Burrell Construction truck. I don't think anyone was seriously hurt.
I never found out what caused the driver of the Plymouth to hit all those vehicles. Does anybody remember this incident?
Radman Cranberry PA

Mars, PA

#2705 Dec 19, 2009
Relating to the Tom Lubresky incident…it actually took place at Tony Marcio’s bar on 10th St. It was young Pete Mercurio that gave Lubresky a severe beating. Bollinger was not involved, although years back him and Tom had a fight. Incidentally, Mercurio had a broken hand when the fight took place. I’m sure we all know of Lubresky’s reputation and that he deserved the beating he received. I’m just trying to keep some of the facts straight in this thread.
Olderndirt

Leechburg, PA

#2706 Dec 19, 2009
Radman Cranberry PA wrote:
Relating to the Tom Lubresky incident…it actually took place at Tony Marcio’s bar on 10th St. It was young Pete Mercurio that gave Lubresky a severe beating. Bollinger was not involved, although years back him and Tom had a fight. Incidentally, Mercurio had a broken hand when the fight took place. I’m sure we all know of Lubresky’s reputation and that he deserved the beating he received. I’m just trying to keep some of the facts straight in this thread.
You may be correct regarding an incident at Marsico's bar on 10th. I think Lubreski could be identified in many bar battles all over town at different times. There was one that occurred at one of the clubs on 5th ave., either the Laetus or St. Anthonies. Bollinger was involved and I think more than 2 were involved in beating Lubreski. I find it hard to believe that Mercurio won a bar fight with Lubreski unless he had help or caught Lubreski in a drunken stuper. Just sharing what I recall for what it's worth.
Chuckie Croghan

Boca Raton, FL

#2707 Dec 19, 2009
Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be correct regarding an incident at Marsico's bar on 10th. I think Lubreski could be identified in many bar battles all over town at different times. There was one that occurred at one of the clubs on 5th ave., either the Laetus or St. Anthonies. Bollinger was involved and I think more than 2 were involved in beating Lubreski. I find it hard to believe that Mercurio won a bar fight with Lubreski unless he had help or caught Lubreski in a drunken stuper. Just sharing what I recall for what it's worth.
Your right Tom T. Was much bigger than Chuckie M.his M.O.going after people he new he could take..he tryed to sucker punch chuckie,the dum ass didnt see Bollinger right behind him,his sucker punch didnt get 1/2 way there before Bollinger coldcock his ass.My self I never cared for two on one If it hadnt end so fast I would have made three on one! I was the other Bartender thats how I know so much!!!
Chuckie Croghan

Boca Raton, FL

#2708 Dec 19, 2009
Radman Cranberry PA wrote:
Old Man Pete,Layed that on Lubresky later , for ever trying to sucker punch his son,there you have the real story! Mess around with that family and it was not over until they said it was over!!!
Chuckie Croghan

Boca Raton, FL

#2709 Dec 19, 2009
Chuckie Croghan wrote:
<quoted text>Old Man Pete,Layed that on Lubresky later , for ever trying to sucker punch his son,there you have the real story! Mess around with that family and it was not over until they said it was over!!!
Now that I think back there a good chance all these story are right Big Pete would not let it go And if I remember right Tom L. had to leave town,for a time.Every time he showed his face in town he was getting pounded..
Chuckie Croghan

Boca Raton, FL

#2710 Dec 19, 2009
Gunga wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuck,
I am aware of things that sick sucker did to his kids. The world is a better place without him.
Sorry GUMGA I think I open A can of worms here....
Tom R

Park Ridge, NJ

#2711 Dec 19, 2009
I remember some other rough people in New Ken. One was the Stone brothers and another was known as Ducky Reynolds. I think the latter passes away not too long ago. Then there was Stanley Hoss.
Chuckie Croghan

Boca Raton, FL

#2712 Dec 19, 2009
Tom R wrote:
I remember some other rough people in New Ken. One was the Stone brothers and another was known as Ducky Reynolds. I think the latter passes away not too long ago. Then there was Stanley Hoss.
Ithough his name was Larry Reynolds
Ran with Black guys...
Chuckie Croghan

Boca Raton, FL

#2713 Dec 19, 2009
Tom R wrote:
How about these Names Ill try to get the spelling right OK The Shank brothers--Here one Black guy Everhart Fenary.Johnie johnson.Tom Hutcherson HUTCH..Tom&Billie Carrion not to be toyed with.You know I think New Ken Was a town of bad asses, we had to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
“memories only” of new kensington and local areas (Jan '10) Tue parsecsam 1,752
Avenue School (Valley School) (May '13) Jun 25 J Vertosick 4
"A Good Solid Place To Live In This World" (Oct '13) Jun 24 easy 22
CHUCKIE CROGHAN Speaks (Feb '10) Jun 20 Richard 1,643
Third Ward School (Aug '09) Jun 12 Richard 43
Debate: Marijuana - New Kensington, PA (Aug '10) Jun 12 Richard 135
Big Al's Diner - New Kensington/ Kinloch (Aug '10) Jun '15 DawnMarie 8
More from around the web

New Kensington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE