New Kensington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

Chiefy wrote:
Does anybody remember the rice pudding at the Melody Restaurant on 4th Avenue across the street from Hart's Department Store?
Probably everyone who reads this thread!!! Once you had a dish you were hooked!
sandyk

North Versailles, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

How many years was the Melody Restaurant there? I remember shopping in NK and having lunch at the Melody in the late 50's and early 60's. Many memories of Hart's, Silvermans, Bens! I remember when bullet bags were popular with us young girls to use as purses, and you could only get them at Bens!
Linda Booth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

OMG - I loved the Melody restaurant. Best rice pudding & also the best fried bolonga sandwiches on syrian bread. Also remember the bullet bags.
Linda Booth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

NewKenBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the box in front of Star Market. It was on a pole right on the corner. I would have never even thought of that again!!! Thank
Did they change the name of the Star Market to Loblaws? I'm trying to picture the Star Mkt.

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

In the forties my dad drove bus for (Harmer Bus Co.???) They had a line that ran from Pittsburgh through Springdale to New Kensington. It stopped at the bus depot across the street from Andie's Restaurant. I worked at Andie's when I was in high school. It was during the time of the second world war; saw a lot of things at that time.
Rat

North Highlands, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

Parsec Sam wrote:
In the forties my dad drove bus for (Harmer Bus Co.???) They had a line that ran from Pittsburgh through Springdale to New Kensington. It stopped at the bus depot across the street from Andie's Restaurant. I worked at Andie's when I was in high school. It was during the time of the second world war; saw a lot of things at that time.
Hi Sam,
I believe the bus line you refer to was the Harmony Short Line. There was another bus company serving NK called The Blue Ridge Bus Co.

I also worked the midnight to 8am shift at Andy's in the late fifties. Lots of all night happenings near the corner of 3rd & 9th. Chubby & Frannie ran the place.
Chiefy

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

The Melody Restaurant was owned and operated by the Hatzimbes- George and Steve. They were in Business at that location from 1955 to 1989. In 1989 George closed the Melody Restaurant and opened the 5th Avenue Deli- two doors down from Klingensmith Hardware. Does anybody have the recipe for that rice pudding. Were George and Steve involved with the rackets?
Kenster

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

Linda Booth wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they change the name of the Star Market to Loblaws? I'm trying to picture the Star Mkt.
I think the Star Market was eventually Loblaws. Store was located in building that is now New Ken Library.
Tom R

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

Kenster wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the Star Market was eventually Loblaws. Store was located in building that is now New Ken Library.
When I was a kid I thought the Star Market was the coolest place. Not because of what they sole, but the had the coolest door openers. Instead of the sensors in a floor mat, the had little lights on posts with a photo sensor on another. When you broke the light beam the door opened. Often my parents had to drag me away from opening and closing the doors with my hand. Amazing what you remember. A friend of mine's uncle drove cab and parked at the Star. He gave me and his nephew a free ride home once. He was a short stocky guy with, apparently one leg longer than the other. His one show had a sole that was about 4 inches thick.
NewKenBoy

Hendersonville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

Parsec Sam wrote:
Upon Army discharge I arrived by air to Pgh Airport and shared a taxi downtown to the city. Walked with duffle bag over shoulder and no sleep for a couple days to the bus stop for NK and took that bus from the Burg to NK with the stops in Springdale and then NK. Got off bus and wondered how I was going to get home and Gene Suprano;s younger brother; can't recall the name, was driving by minutes after stepped off the bus. I must of been a mess in wrinkeled uniform and been up or over 48 hours. He stopped and drove me home. I had not thought of that in years. I guess that is just one of the positive reason for this thread. Year was 1964!!!
tubby

Estero, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

NewKenBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Upon Army discharge I arrived by air to Pgh Airport and shared a taxi downtown to the city. Walked with duffle bag over shoulder and no sleep for a couple days to the bus stop for NK and took that bus from the Burg to NK with the stops in Springdale and then NK. Got off bus and wondered how I was going to get home and Gene Suprano;s younger brother; can't recall the name, was driving by minutes after stepped off the bus. I must of been a mess in wrinkeled uniform and been up or over 48 hours. He stopped and drove me home. I had not thought of that in years. I guess that is just one of the positive reason for this thread. Year was 1964!!!
Might have been "punky" Suprano had a sister Mary I think Tubby
Olderndirt

Chardon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

NewKenBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post took me back to when I was discharged in 1959. I flew into Pgh around midnight and tried to negotiate with a taxi driver for a ride to New Ken. He talked to a few other cabbies that were lined up at the airport and one of them said he'd take me to New Ken for $20.00. I was taken to my families doorstep, duffle bag in hand for $20.00. You're right,this thread brings back alot of small details that have been forgotten for decades.
Parnassus Packer

Clarksburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2009

parnassus pony wrote:
parnassus packer - Are you one of THE "Parnassus Packer" pick-up football team members that played at Fort Crawford School?
Yep in old Herr Stadium (the back of the old bleachers to 3rd Street) back in the 60's. We played the 3rd Ward Rams, Mt Vernon Mountaineers, a team from Arnold and teams from Lower Burrell, East Deer and I think Springdale a couple of times.
Gunga

Madison, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Great site. My first legally paying job was working in the Thom McAnn show store on fifth avenue. One of my daily chores was walking up to the Mellon Bank to drop off the daily proceeds around 9:00 PM every night. From what I hear that would be career limiting in today's environment.

I remember a "Nothing Really for Sale" shop across the street from the shoe store
Gunga

Madison, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Anyone remeber an incident back in either the late 70's or early 80's about several young men caught stealing something (I think records) from one of the clubs downtown and the club owners having them taken care of? I vaguely remember a Flenory being involved.
tubby

Estero, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Gunga wrote:
Anyone remeber an incident back in either the late 70's or early 80's about several young men caught stealing something (I think records) from one of the clubs downtown and the club owners having them taken care of? I vaguely remember a Flenory being involved.
Wow I knew Chuck Flenory and his brother they lived on 2nd ave I lived on 3rd. Tubby

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Does anyone know if Bo and John Kleya are still living? I worked with both John and Bo at the Russelton Mine back in the late 70's. They gave a young know it all kid the kick in the behind he needed after 4 years of engineering school. Talk about a melting pot of ethnic heritages, the Russelton mine was where you found it. The smells coming out of that dinner hole (egg plant parmegian, lasagna, kielbasa etc...) were to die for.
Olderndirt

Chardon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Gunga wrote:
Charles Flenory either owned or managed the old Bachelors Club on 10th st. It was thought that a guy broke into the club and stole records. It was proven later that he was innocent. In the interim, a few thugs were brought in from Pgh., tied the suspect to a chair and proceded in beating him in an effort to get a confession and the stolen records back. After getting high, they beat him with a baseball bat and eventually killed him. Charles witnessed it and claimed things got out of control and he was fearful for his safety. He was jailed in Greensburg for a time until all the trials ended and he was released. He had a younger brother, Eberhart, that had a rep that was less than admirable. Charles was a nice guy though and a great athlete.
tubby

Estero, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

Olderndirt wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Flenory either owned or managed the old Bachelors Club on 10th st. It was thought that a guy broke into the club and stole records. It was proven later that he was innocent. In the interim, a few thugs were brought in from Pgh., tied the suspect to a chair and proceded in beating him in an effort to get a confession and the stolen records back. After getting high, they beat him with a baseball bat and eventually killed him. Charles witnessed it and claimed things got out of control and he was fearful for his safety. He was jailed in Greensburg for a time until all the trials ended and he was released. He had a younger brother, Eberhart, that had a rep that was less than admirable. Charles was a nice guy though and a great athlete.
Thanks same guys forgot about them thanks for update Tubby
tubby

Estero, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2009

sandyk wrote:
How many years was the Melody Restaurant there? I remember shopping in NK and having lunch at the Melody in the late 50's and early 60's. Many memories of Hart's, Silvermans, Bens! I remember when bullet bags were popular with us young girls to use as purses, and you could only get them at Bens!
I worked at Ben's Army Store with Chuck Tadrzak. Tubby

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the New Kensington Forum right now

Search the New Kensington Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 3 hr More Settled Science 3,803
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 3 hr More Settled Science 51,184
28th Amendment (Dec '10) Jul 21 Richard 10
"A Good Solid Place To Live In This World" (Oct '13) Jul 21 Richard 8
How Meany Want To Run These Illegals Out Of Our... (Feb '11) Jul 21 Richard 721
CHUCKIE CROGHAN Speaks (Feb '10) Jul 19 RICHARD 1,595
Polarizing Political View Points (Dec '10) Jul 15 easy 1,734
•••
•••
•••
New Kensington Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••