Remember New Ken nightlife
First Prev
of 494
Next Last
Georgia Mannarino

Wheeling, WV

#1 Aug 4, 2007
Anyone remember the classy nightlife that used to exist in downtown New Kensington?

I remember the Lateus Club and the Batchelors Club. Both were like big city night clubs. I also can remember the great food at the Kenmar Hotel. Lentil soup was a favorite.

Anybody remember the good old days in NK?
Georgia Mannarino

Wheeling, WV

#2 Aug 6, 2007
I remember the Batchlors Club very well. What a time it was in downtown NK. Its was elegant and you would never know who you might run into.

The Coffee Shop at the Kenmar was incredibly busy with clattering dishes and long waits for tables at all hours of the day or night. Sometimes I dream about going back and ordering a club sandwich and a bowl of soup.
Georgia Mannarino

Wheeling, WV

#3 Aug 15, 2007
I can also remember the Melody Restaurant where the food was good but the numbers action was better. How about the "store that didn't sell anything" on fifth avenue. It was a cigar store with tons of people hanging around but no inventory of cigars.

Those were the golden years in downtown NK.
Bob Rodgers

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Nov 20, 2007
I went into that "store that didn't sell anything" once. They had a few magazines on display and I wanted to buy a magazine. But the ones they had were years old! Ha Ha
the guys who "worked" there just looked at me funny, and I left.
Anthony

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Nov 23, 2007
I wish i was around in the good ol days of new ken all i can do is listen 2 stories from my parents but i hear it was called lil chicago,,,n look at it now...N O Geogia u wouldnt b related 2 the late "kelly" Mannarino would u?
Georgia Mannerino

Kane, PA

#6 Nov 25, 2007
Anthony--

Yes, I am related to Kelly Mannerino. He was my Uncle Gabriel. I can't speak more about him at this point due to my book contract with Random House. Look for my book in bookstores in late 2008. It's a tellall about the importance of New Kensington. You'll learn about JFK and RFK and their crooked old man, Fidel Castro, Jimmy Hoffa, Frank Sinatra, and Ethel Merman. My story will connect all of these people with New Kensington.
Anthony

AOL

#7 Nov 29, 2007
Thats a book id love 2 read. Your uncle was real stand up guy from what i hear. I wish we had sum1 like him now all we got is ciancutti's lil drug ring , i know that was ur uncles right hand man but i think the drugs need 2 b kept out of r city n then the dealers would go elsewhere , but this is 2007 not many solid guys left.

Since: Nov 07

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Dec 6, 2007
Do you have a title for that book? I'd love to buy it. I think the "mob" (excuse the expression) kept the town a lot safer.
My grandmother lived in New Ken until she died in the late 50's. She'd go to a fruit stand on 10th once a week and play a 'number'. When she got sick, the "mob" brought her a lot of food and stuff. Kind of a local benevalence (sp?) society.
steve paulovich Cabot Pa

AOL

#9 Dec 15, 2007
Bob Rodgers- the store that didn't sell anything was Burgarts Newstand next to the old Ritz theater -they had a trap door that led to a gambling room downstairs (I was told)A pin ball machine was set on top of it & moved when there was some activity going on down there --it was owned by Jim Burgart who later on opened the Golf Oasis on Greensburgh Rd
Anthony

Indiana, PA

#10 Jan 11, 2008
well they had the golden triangle club or whatever it was called cant remember exactly but that was a gamblimg club n it even got raided ...n 1 of the owners was found shot 2 death on a farm up in deer lakes or way up on 7th st. i cant remember those details so well either
Angelique

Kane, PA

#11 Jan 12, 2008
That man was Abe Zied who ran that club and allegedly was shot for squealing. He ended up on his attorney's farm with a bullet in him. Nice folks!
Margie

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Jan 16, 2008
The gambling club was Triangle Billiards, Barnes St. Abe Zeid was found on his attorney's farm, Washington Co., Pa. Could there have been someone else associated with Triangle Billiards found dead in Deer Lakes or 7th St. area, as Anthony remembers?
Pat Kane

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#13 Jan 20, 2008
Georgia Mannerino wrote:
Anthony--
Yes, I am related to Kelly Mannerino. He was my Uncle Gabriel. I can't speak more about him at this point due to my book contract with Random House. Look for my book in bookstores in late 2008. It's a tellall about the importance of New Kensington. You'll learn about JFK and RFK and their crooked old man, Fidel Castro, Jimmy Hoffa, Frank Sinatra, and Ethel Merman. My story will connect all of these people with New Kensington.
Hi Georgia,

Do you have a title for the book as yet. I would love to read it. I lived in town in the 50's and 60's. I would really love to get the book when it comes out.
John France

AOL

#15 Jan 31, 2008
Georgia Mannerino wrote:
Anthony--
Georgia, I hope you mentioned Kelly's best friend, Joe Sonken, in your book.
John

AOL

#16 Jan 31, 2008
Georgia,

I hope you mentioned your Uncle Kelly's best friend, Joe Sonken, in your book. They were like brothers.
mar

United States

#17 Feb 2, 2008
Kelly and Gabe are two different people.
hummmmpppppffff

Jackson Center, PA

#18 Feb 2, 2008
glorifying a bunch of thugs
Margie

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Feb 8, 2008
mar wrote:
Kelly and Gabe are two different people.
Gabe and Kelly are one in the same person, Gabriel "Kelly" Mannarino.

Since: Nov 07

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Feb 11, 2008
The store I am thinking of was not near the theater. It was on Fifth between 8th and 9th.
steve

AOL

#21 Feb 12, 2008
Bob Rodgers wrote:
The store I am thinking of was not near the theater. It was on Fifth between 8th and 9th.
I think you are talking about (GEORGES NEWSTAND)if I'm correct it was owned by George Rodites- I think they had a small lunch counter there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 494
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"A Good Solid Place To Live In This World" (Oct '13) Aug 20 someone 27
News Decisions of Westmoreland County judges (Jan '11) Jul 29 Mom 3
Who remembers the Village tavern? (Jul '07) Jul '16 Beth_H 20
Parnassus High School 1929 (Jun '09) Jul '16 Parnassus Packer 13
Leishman Ave School, Arnold, PA (Jan '13) Jul '16 aml59 2
Wanted: Ken Penn Amusements Memorabilia, Info,... (Aug '15) Jun '16 Carnival guy 3
You know your in New Ken when (Oct '10) Jun '16 Mad Parent 357

New Kensington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Kensington Mortgages