First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Grant Beattie

New Castle, PA

#1 Jul 13, 2009
I remember New Kensington as a wonderful place to be in the late forties and early fifties. I worked at ALCOA and GE. These pictures bring back great memories. I have been all around the world, but old New Kensington will always have a special place in my heart.
Grant Beattie

New Castle, PA

#2 Jul 13, 2009
New Kensington had five movie theaters in the early fifties. There were the Datolla, Parmount, Circle, Ritz and Liberty. The Datolla was the first one with AC. We went there even if we didn't like the movie to get out of the heat.
Wayne Schuricht

AOL

#3 Jul 13, 2009
What a great picture and what memories. Brings a tear to my eyes. I worked at the Cooper Brothers Music Store in the 60's, right across the street from the Liberty. Miss Horner, 8th grade teacher at Ridge Avenue Jr. High would let me out of class to walk down to Embrose drugs and pick up her prescriptions and would give me a dime to have a coke at the soda fountain while I had to wait. Boy, I wonder what they would do to her now!!!!
Tom R

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#4 Jul 13, 2009
Wayne Schuricht wrote:
I worked at the Cooper Brothers Music Store in the 60's, right across the street from the Liberty.
You might remember my Dad, Moe Russell. He played guitar and bought his Gibson L5 at Cooper Brothers sometime in the '50s. I still have the L5. Serial number from 1929. He played it every Friday and Saturday night somewhere, and it looks like it. Still sounds great.

Since: Jul 09

AOL

#5 Jul 13, 2009
Tom R wrote:
<quoted text>You might remember my Dad, Moe Russell. He played guitar and bought his Gibson L5 at Cooper Brothers sometime in the '50s. I still have the L5. Serial number from 1929. He played it every Friday and Saturday night somewhere, and it looks like it. Still sounds great.
Tom R. I'm sorry but I don't specifically remember your father but I sure am glad you still have his guitar. I bought my trombone there in 1969 (Conn 6H) and still have and play it.
Gene Arabia

United States

#6 Aug 6, 2009
I worked for a short time at the Kroger store on the right in the mid 1950s until it closed. Then I worked at the new Kroger's on Freeport/Leechburgh Rd in Valley Heights.
Gene Arabia-YorbaLind aCA

United States

#7 Aug 21, 2009
I posted this message before and saw it. Why was it removed?
I worked at the Koger store on the right in the 1950s until Krogers moved to te new store near the reservoir on Leechburgh road. I believe the store became Golden Dawn.
Grant Beattie

New Castle, PA

#8 Aug 21, 2009
Gene Arabia-YorbaLindaCA wrote:
I posted this message before and saw it. Why was it removed?
I worked at the Koger store on the right in the 1950s until Krogers moved to te new store near the reservoir on Leechburgh road. I believe the store became Golden Dawn.
You are right the old Kroger store by the reseivor is now Golden Dawn. Golden Dawn continues to operate even with the competition from Giant Eagle.
Grant Beattie

New Castle, PA

#9 Aug 22, 2009
A local developer plans to to renovate the old Dattola theatre on 5th Avenue. It has been silent since 1985. It is a block from the Westmoreland County Community College branch. They have a target date of May 2010 to reopen the Dattola. It is great companies are willing to put money into downtown New Kensington. Perhaps, we can regain some of the glory days for the city. I just moved back after being gone for almost 50 years, and I am encourged by what I see. Also, we have the G20 coming to Pittsburgh in September. It is great.
tubby

Estero, FL

#10 Aug 23, 2009
Tom R wrote:
<quoted text>You might remember my Dad, Moe Russell. He played guitar and bought his Gibson L5 at Cooper Brothers sometime in the '50s. I still have the L5. Serial number from 1929. He played it every Friday and Saturday night somewhere, and it looks like it. Still sounds great.
Iworked in record deptr. it was National Record Mart Tubby Galzerano
tubby

Estero, FL

#11 Aug 23, 2009
Grant Beattie wrote:
New Kensington had five movie theaters in the early fifties. There were the Datolla, Parmount, Circle, Ritz and Liberty. The Datolla was the first one with AC. We went there even if we didn't like the movie to get out of the heat.
I remember the Ritz Cartoon shows 50 of them All Day westerns But you had to hold your feet up cause of the RATS LOL Tubby
tubby

Estero, FL

#12 Aug 23, 2009
Wayne Schuricht wrote:
What a great picture and what memories. Brings a tear to my eyes. I worked at the Cooper Brothers Music Store in the 60's, right across the street from the Liberty. Miss Horner, 8th grade teacher at Ridge Avenue Jr. High would let me out of class to walk down to Embrose drugs and pick up her prescriptions and would give me a dime to have a coke at the soda fountain while I had to wait. Boy, I wonder what they would do to her now!!!!
I used to go upstairs to the radio station above Cooper Bros and ivist with Phil Brooks and Bob Laverio and be on radio shows. Played records with Bob Lavorio at Ken Hi and at fire hall on Sunday nites across river was it Natrona Hgts? Regards Tubby Galzerano
Wayne Schuricht

AOL

#13 Aug 24, 2009
Hi Tubby, thanks for you comments. I believe the firehall was Birdville in Natrona Heights. I just saw pictures of Dave Cooper and Joy Yinger (Dave's sister) celebrating Joy's 85th b'day. Sent to me by Joy's daughter Marnie. Marnie, DonaldCooper, and I were classmates, Ken Hi 63. Cooper Brothers is, I believe, still in business in Atlanta, GA. Wayne([email protected])
Mariellen Meszar

Slickville, PA

#14 Sep 15, 2009
Anyone have an old photo of the Sportsmens Bar on 9th Street and 4th Avenue. Please email me at [email protected]
tubby

Estero, FL

#15 Sep 15, 2009
tubby wrote:
<quoted text> Iworked in record deptr. it was National Record Mart Tubby Galzerano
Hi what was name of female manager? I remember she loved Frank Sinatra if fact got me interested in him too Lol Tubby
tubby

Estero, FL

#16 Sep 15, 2009
Mariellen Meszar wrote:
Anyone have an old photo of the Sportsmens Bar on 9th Street and 4th Avenue. Please email me at [email protected]
Ah the Sportmans Bar My mom had a cleaning shop cross from there on 4th ave. B&G CLEANERS went there every Friday nite for shrimp great food Tubby

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

#17 Oct 22, 2009
My Dad and a couple of the guys from the auto parts store took me into the Sportsman Bar when i turned 21. I had been going to bars and club since I was fifteen; never was carded. That day was my first time being asked to show my ID. The good old days were gone. that was in 1950.
deanwanderer

Springfield, VA

#18 Dec 12, 2009
Gene Arabia wrote:
I worked for a short time at the Kroger store on the right in the mid 1950s until it closed. Then I worked at the new Kroger's on Freeport/Leechburgh Rd in Valley Heights.
We shopped at both stores. Are you related to Anthony Arabia?
Ed Hanna - Irvine CA

United States

#19 Jan 16, 2010
As a guy from Brackenridge and Tarentum, I have great memories of going to New Kensington--which was very much "a big town" for me. We used to ride the Harmony Short Line bus from Tarentum and alight at the New Ken bus station on 9th street. That was the early 50s and what a hustle-bustle town it was in those days! On the cross street (?) just north of Montgomery Wards was the store--perhaps a hardware store--where we purchased my American Flyer electric train. That was about 1951 and I was 4 years old. So, my memories of that store are very faint--but very special. I understand that things have changed a lot over the years. I do wish that we could "wave a magic wand" and restore New Kensington to the wonderful place it was in the 50s.
Ed Hanna - Irvine CA

United States

#20 Jan 16, 2010
Hey--you New Kensington guys and gals. I have a question--a really important question. In my youth (accompanied by an uncle), I visited a very, very interesting bar in New Kensington. It was (almost literally) under the New Kensington end of the 9th Street bridge. Immediately to South of bridge was a side alley that you went down to enter this bar. The bar was filled with World War 2 relics. Parachutes hung from the ceiling. All the cocktail tables had glass tops and--down in the interior of the table were displayed medals, buttons, and other military paraphenalia. Does anyone remember this bar? Does anyone remember the name of the bar?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TOM MURPHY- westmoreland county recorder of deeds (Jul '09) Aug 22 Jvs 8
Wanted: Ken Penn Amusements Memorabilia, Info,... Aug 22 KenPennGuy 1
Remember New Ken nightlife (Aug '07) Aug 17 Viking 71 9,800
You know your in New Ken when (Oct '10) Aug 15 Anon14714 353
CHUCKIE CROGHAN Speaks (Feb '10) Aug 9 Parsecsam 1,650
Avenue School (Valley School) (May '13) Jul '15 holyspirit0 7
Former Prospect Street Elementary School Jul '15 holyspirit0 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Kensington Mortgages