Parnassus High School 1929

Posted in the New Kensington Forum

“Ken Hi and Springdale Hi”

Since: Jul 08

Glendale CA,

#1 Jun 20, 2009
My Dad, Ed Younghans went to school there until his Father pulled him out to work in his auto parts store. He was on the football team and they really missed him. I'm not sure of the year but it was before 1928. I was born in 1929.
Bill Whitaker

United States

#2 Aug 6, 2009
My mother, Rose Eleanor Donaldson, graduated from PJHS. Later I had at least one teacher she had studied with. I graduated from PJHS in 1954. Walked to school from Mt. Vernon, and walked fome for lunch and back sometimes via the grapevine swing on the shortcut path.

“Peace On Earth”

Since: Apr 08

Erie Pa

#3 Aug 7, 2009
Bill Whitaker wrote:
My mother, Rose Eleanor Donaldson, graduated from PJHS. Later I had at least one teacher she had studied with. I graduated from PJHS in 1954. Walked to school from Mt. Vernon, and walked fome for lunch and back sometimes via the grapevine swing on the shortcut path.
Famed naturalist Racheal Carson went there to.
anthony

Seattle, WA

#4 Jun 15, 2012
My brother went to Kindergarten there. I was sad that the building was allowed to rot, and wept when it was torn down.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Jun 20, 2012
Many memories from PJHS.

I had general science way up in the back on the second floor. If you had to go to the head, the floor squeak as you walked down the hall would be deafening. I remember the smell of the oiled hardwood floors. I also remember Bob Sisley and the "green hornet" paddle.
Ray Smith

Franklin, TN

#6 Dec 2, 2012
tim leary wrote:
<quoted text>Famed naturalist Racheal Carson went there to.
Did you attend Mt. Vernon Elementary School?

What street did you live on in Mt. Vernon?

My parents lived at Center Ave. and Keystone Dr. when I was born in 1949.
Angela Turner

Lake Wales, FL

#7 Jun 18, 2013
Is this the building that later became Kay's Salvage? I remember going through there in the 70's or eearly 80's.
Richard

Meridian, ID

#8 Jun 18, 2013
I remember when we played PJHS .I was driving down the court and hit a dead spot and their was others.. Ron Robson was laughing his you know what off. He said Rich I know were they are you guys don't. Yes your right we lost.
Francine Costello

Natrona Heights, PA

#9 Oct 10, 2013
PJHS was a beautiful school building. I attended from 1958 to 1961 when Mr. Veech was Principal. I loved the high ceilings, beautiful wooden floors , large windows and that lovely little auditorium. Watching the Pirates nearly take the pennant reminded me of that day in 1960 when we won the World Series. There were radios on in every classroom and pandemonium erupted when Mazz hit that fateful homer. We were in room 101 with Mr. Moses at that moment and everyone ran out into the hall.
I lived on Farm Hill and we walked to and from school through Mt. Vernon down and back up those amazing steps. I came from Martin School and it was great fun to meet and make friends from Mt. Vernon School and Fifth Avenue School.
Looking at the photo of it above, I remember standing to the right of the main entrance, having come up stairs and outside from the home-economics room to shake out dish towels. I was waving to some boys who were leaning out of the windows (Mr. Spear's room) on the top floor, when someone accidentally (?) tossed the water from a dish pan out the door, soaking me. The boys thought it was hilarious.
-Tom

Valencia, PA

#10 Nov 19, 2013
I had a chemistry class here when it was Penn State NK. 1967?
ron johnson

La Plata, MD

#11 Jan 8, 2014
Francine Costello wrote:
PJHS was a beautiful school building. I attended from 1958 to 1961 when Mr. Veech was Principal. I loved the high ceilings, beautiful wooden floors , large windows and that lovely little auditorium. Watching the Pirates nearly take the pennant reminded me of that day in 1960 when we won the World Series. There were radios on in every classroom and pandemonium erupted when Mazz hit that fateful homer. We were in room 101 with Mr. Moses at that moment and everyone ran out into the hall.
I lived on Farm Hill and we walked to and from school through Mt. Vernon down and back up those amazing steps. I came from Martin School and it was great fun to meet and make friends from Mt. Vernon School and Fifth Avenue School.
Looking at the photo of it above, I remember standing to the right of the main entrance, having come up stairs and outside from the home-economics room to shake out dish towels. I was waving to some boys who were leaning out of the windows (Mr. Spear's room) on the top floor, when someone accidentally (?) tossed the water from a dish pan out the door, soaking me. The boys thought it was hilarious.
I was in the last class before the school closed in 1962 and Mr. V was still there and Mike Shoneski was our gym teacher.
parsecsam

Ashland, OR

#12 Jan 27, 2014
Ray Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you attend Mt. Vernon Elementary School?
What street did you live on in Mt. Vernon?
My parents lived at Center Ave. and Keystone Dr. when I was born in 1949.
My parenst lived on Ridge Avenue, near North St. when I was born in 1929. My Mother's parent lived on Woodberry Road and my Dad's parents lived on Parkview Dr.
I didn't know Rachel Carson went to Parnassus High. I had friends who lived across the street from her home in Springdale.
I don't think I will be posting anymore on topix, because of the dumb ad they push on us to post. that is insulting, to say the least.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Kensington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Polarizing Political View Points (Dec '10) Feb 24 easy 1,774
Still Monitoring Feb 23 Concerned and Mon... 1
Remember New Ken nightlife (Aug '07) Feb 16 HRoth 9,728
New Kensington Mafia (Sep '08) Feb 12 bob 206
Teen arrested in mall shooting; only 1 of 3 vic... Feb 9 Old Cynic 1
Suspect arrested for Monroeville Mall shooting ... Feb 8 Old Cynic 1
Big Al's Diner - New Kensington/ Kinloch (Aug '10) Jan '15 Old Kinlocher 7
New Kensington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New Kensington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:15 pm PST

Bleacher Report 6:15PM
Pittsburgh Steelers' Ultimate Free-Agency To-Do List
NBC Sports 9:09 PM
Reports: Browns still in the mix for Josh McCown
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
6 Best Options to Replace T-Rich This Offseason
What Are the Steelers' Options at Slot Receiver?
Why the Browns Need to Stay Far Away from Bradford