Long-stalled construction begins at f...

Long-stalled construction begins at former Tri-Town drive-in si...

There are 29 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Mar 9, 2010, titled Long-stalled construction begins at former Tri-Town drive-in si.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Construction is under way on the first phase of the Tri-Town Landing high-density housing development off Summer Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Theyre Baaaaaack

Windham, NH

#22 Mar 10, 2010
Sorry. A sentence in my last post should read:

"It would be a more laughable comment if it wasn't so sad."
snark snark

Fitchburg, MA

#23 Mar 10, 2010
Theyre Baaaaaack wrote:
I can see that the doomsdayers are back on the blogs and comment pages! Not one unit has been built at TriTown yet and all I read about here are horror stories about ghettos, crime, drugs, looting, etc. They are all snarky and cynical, but most of all they are shameful.
You people simply cannot accept change, no matter what it is. This project just adds diversity to the housing options in the Town for families just starting out (who cannot afford a single family home yet) or possibly for seniors who are downsizing but still want to live independently on a fixed income.
Your Chicken Little scare tactics are not productive and, as is the case with your other predictions about the end-of-the-world (or even of this town) they are not accurate.
Have you walked down Main St. lately?? You're right, their predictions ARE wrong...the end of Fitchburg isn't coming....it's already passed by. The city is on the downward slope now. And yes, I AM A SNARKY individual. Snarky Snarky Snarky. But, is it unfair to judge the future of this project against the history of other housing developments in the area? Not really. All local residents have to go on is what they SEE in and around the other "projects". Is it REALLY a stretch to assume this one will be no different? If you meet ten people who kick you in the @#*%, I'll bet you'd have a cup on by the eleventh! Let me guess too...you're a liberal lefty aren'tcha?
do it

Fitchburg, MA

#24 Mar 10, 2010
Theyre Baaaaaack wrote:
<quoted text>
When all else fails, you can always resort to name calling, I guess. "Limousine Liberal"...what exactly is that supposed to imply, anyway? It would be a more laughable comment if it was so sad.
First, I did not say that I supported the state Chapter 40 mandates (I don't), but was simply supplying an answer to your (maybe rhetorical) question as to why we need diversity of housing.
Second, you imply that I would reject such a project in my neighborhood and you would be wrong. If someone were to propose something in my area that addressed a housing need, fulfilled a state-mandate and made economic and planning sense I would certainly not oppose it....least of all based on socio-economic stereotypes.
LIAR!!! VERY easy to claim that when posting on a forum...let's see you stand behind it. Next Fitchburg Council meeting, show up and let the council know where you live and express and interest in one of these "developments" in your neck-o-the-woods...and so we know you're real, post your name here and I'll be waiting to see you at the meeting. IF you DO show AND follow through, I'll post a retraction with an apology. However, until then, you're nothing but a liar. Simple truth.
ExFincomm

Littleton, MA

#25 Mar 10, 2010
Theyre Baaaaaack wrote:
<quoted text>
When all else fails, you can always resort to name calling, I guess. "Limousine Liberal"...what exactly is that supposed to imply, anyway? It would be a more laughable comment if it was so sad.
First, I did not say that I supported the state Chapter 40 mandates (I don't), but was simply supplying an answer to your (maybe rhetorical) question as to why we need diversity of housing.
Second, you imply that I would reject such a project in my neighborhood and you would be wrong. If someone were to propose something in my area that addressed a housing need, fulfilled a state-mandate and made economic and planning sense I would certainly not oppose it....least of all based on socio-economic stereotypes.
Yes, it was a rhetorical statement about the affordable housing mandate,t thank you for educating the other readers, I spent 7 years exposed to 40B/R issues.

This is social engineering, ala the old Soviet Union and China. There are plenty of places in Leominster and Fitchburg that single professionals can rent apartments. No need to build more.

I was not calling you a name when I said Limousine Liberal, I was meerely describing an attitude that is very prevalent around those who often champion a viewpoint (diverse neighborhoods). Wikipedia has a good description with some examples that even you can understand.

Limousine liberal is a pejorative North American political term used to illustrate perceived hypocrisy by a political liberal of upper class or upper middle class status; including calls for the use of mass transit while frequently using limousines or private jets, claiming environmental consciousness but driving low MPG sports cars or SUVs, or ostensibly supporting public education while actually sending their children to private schools.

In the 1970s, the term was applied to wealthy liberal supporters of open-housing and forced school busing who didn't make use of public schooling. In Boston, Massachusetts, supporters of busing, such as Senator Ted Kennedy, sent their children to private schools or lived in affluent suburbs. To some South Boston residents, Kennedy's support of a plan that "integrated" their children with blacks and his apparent unwillingness to do the same with his own children, was hypocrisy.

By the late 1990s and early 21st century, the term has also come to be applied to those who support environmentalist or "green" goals, such as mass transit, yet drive large SUVs or literally have a limousine and driver. The Weekly Standard applied the term to Sheila Jackson-Lee for being "routinely chauffeured the one short block to work--in a government car, by a member of her staff, at the taxpayers' expense."
Theyre Baaaaaack

Windham, NH

#26 Mar 10, 2010
to "snark snark snark" and "do it":

My comments were directed toward Lunenburg, the town in which the Tri-Town development is entirely located. It was not about Fitchburg in any way, positive or negative... so, you will not see me any time soon at any Fitchburg City Council meetings. And please understand the difference between "not opposing projects" and "actively attracting projects".

to "ExFinComm":

Thanks for the full definition of the "Limousine Liberal". Now I can clearly state that none of those "definitions" fit me to any degree. And once again, I do not disagree with you about the state housing mandates...I believe that it is no business of the government to engineer housing (especially when they continue to do it unsuccessfully). I just don't agree that affordable apartments are a bad thing in Lunenburg, in and of themselves.

Since: Apr 09

Gardner, MA

#27 Mar 10, 2010
Again, STATE funding is being used to push this project forward.
Blogenburgian

Leominster, MA

#28 Mar 10, 2010
ExFincomm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it was a rhetorical statement about the affordable housing mandate,t thank you for educating the other readers, I spent 7 years exposed to 40B/R issues.
This is social engineering, ala the old Soviet Union and China. There are plenty of places in Leominster and Fitchburg that single professionals can rent apartments. No need to build more.
I was not calling you a name when I said Limousine Liberal, I was meerely describing an attitude that is very prevalent around those who often champion a viewpoint (diverse neighborhoods). Wikipedia has a good description with some examples that even you can understand.
Limousine liberal is a pejorative North American political term used to illustrate perceived hypocrisy by a political liberal of upper class or upper middle class status; including calls for the use of mass transit while frequently using limousines or private jets, claiming environmental consciousness but driving low MPG sports cars or SUVs, or ostensibly supporting public education while actually sending their children to private schools.
In the 1970s, the term was applied to wealthy liberal supporters of open-housing and forced school busing who didn't make use of public schooling. In Boston, Massachusetts, supporters of busing, such as Senator Ted Kennedy, sent their children to private schools or lived in affluent suburbs. To some South Boston residents, Kennedy's support of a plan that "integrated" their children with blacks and his apparent unwillingness to do the same with his own children, was hypocrisy.
By the late 1990s and early 21st century, the term has also come to be applied to those who support environmentalist or "green" goals, such as mass transit, yet drive large SUVs or literally have a limousine and driver. The Weekly Standard applied the term to Sheila Jackson-Lee for being "routinely chauffeured the one short block to work--in a government car, by a member of her staff, at the taxpayers' expense."
We need the property tax revenue to fund the new high school. That is if we don't build a very economies of scale 150 million dollar regional high school with NM. If we do then any revenue from tri-town will be given back to the other tax payers of Lunenburg due to all the savings in educational costs coming from our mega school district. Luneburgs own economic stimulus package.
Really though, what is the anticipated revenue from this project? Very shortly the town will be seeing significant reductions in the payback from health insurance negotiations and the newbies will be panicking for makeup revenue. We need to build baby build or sink baby sink.
Perri

Leominster, MA

#29 Sep 25, 2010
All of you itiots are obviously very uneducated on the low income system. The uppity people from Lunenburg probably dont know that there is already a low income housing that hold 6 low income families who pay their bill, taxes, and put their kids through school. Just like the "regular" famlies all of you wish to keep populated in Lunenburg. I am from Lunenburg, and I think having these "scums" will put these "preppy stingy" people in their place. And hopefully educate these people on us, and yes I am low income, and yes I disagree with some low income, but most of us try to better our lives to get out of low income.... we are not scums, just nomal people trying to live normal lives. Get it right.
This is old

Lexington, MA

#30 Sep 25, 2010
Where have you been? The last post for this was in March. Sorry way to late to post on for this article. Way to much time to look thru posts from 7 months ago. Get a life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Ipswich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jaffrey residents shocked by anti-Islam sign NEW Thu WeeWilly 2
News Selectmen arrested for DWI, won't seek relectio... (Mar '10) May 24 queenangellica 12
News Community service ordered in arson case Apr '17 Sj Wood 1
News Scout's work makes neighborhood safer (Oct '16) Mar '17 Militarywife 4
looking for info on the Depot Restaurant (Nov '08) Mar '17 Bill smith 2
Do you recommend it? Mar '17 Militarywife 1
11/1/2016 accident (Nov '16) Nov '16 creedman 1

New Ipswich Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Ipswich Mortgages