Long-stalled construction begins at f...

Long-stalled construction begins at former Tri-Town drive-in si...

There are 29 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Mar 9, 2010, titled Long-stalled construction begins at former Tri-Town drive-in si.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Construction is under way on the first phase of the Tri-Town Landing high-density housing development off Summer Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ExFincomm

Littleton, MA

#1 Mar 9, 2010
<sound of taps playing> The end of Lunenburg as we know it has begun....
Captain Obvious

Marlborough, MA

#2 Mar 9, 2010
As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto
And his mama cries
'Cause if there's one thing that she don't need
It's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetto

People, don't you understand
The child needs a helping hand
Or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day
Take a look at you and me,
Are we too blind to see,
Do we simply turn our heads
And look the other way

Well the world turns
And a hungry little boy with a runny nose
Plays in the street as the cold wind blows
In the ghetto

And his hunger burns
So he starts to roam the streets at night
And he learns how to steal
And he learns how to fight
In the ghetto

Then one night in desperation
A young man breaks away
He buys a gun, steals a car,
Tries to run, but he don't get far
And his mama cries

As a crowd gathers 'round an angry young man
Face down in the street with a gun in his hand
In the ghetto

As her young man dies,
On a cold and grey Chicago mornin',
Another little baby child is born
In the ghetto
And his mama cries

In the ghetto
In the ghetto
Theyre Baaaaaack

Windham, NH

#3 Mar 9, 2010
I can see that the doomsdayers are back on the blogs and comment pages! Not one unit has been built at TriTown yet and all I read about here are horror stories about ghettos, crime, drugs, looting, etc. They are all snarky and cynical, but most of all they are shameful.
You people simply cannot accept change, no matter what it is. This project just adds diversity to the housing options in the Town for families just starting out (who cannot afford a single family home yet) or possibly for seniors who are downsizing but still want to live independently on a fixed income.
Your Chicken Little scare tactics are not productive and, as is the case with your other predictions about the end-of-the-world (or even of this town) they are not accurate.
Concerned Citizen

Westford, MA

#4 Mar 9, 2010
welcome to the newest crime zone in the tri town area and especially to lunenburg which has been shielded from all these low life illegal aliens and Puerto R.ican drug dealers. They're spreading their disease your way. as they use to say at the movies, coming to a theater near you.
rasberry

Worcester, MA

#5 Mar 9, 2010
Theyre Baaaaaack wrote:
I can see that the doomsdayers are back on the blogs and comment pages! Not one unit has been built at TriTown yet and all I read about here are horror stories about ghettos, crime, drugs, looting, etc. They are all snarky and cynical, but most of all they are shameful.
You people simply cannot accept change, no matter what it is. This project just adds diversity to the housing options in the Town for families just starting out (who cannot afford a single family home yet) or possibly for seniors who are downsizing but still want to live independently on a fixed income.
Your Chicken Little scare tactics are not productive and, as is the case with your other predictions about the end-of-the-world (or even of this town) they are not accurate.
your so right just look at all the pillars of the community coming from low income housing, so sweet and innocent, how could these mean people say such things about these thugs oops i mean people
ExFincomm

Littleton, MA

#6 Mar 9, 2010
Theyre Baaaaaack wrote:
Why do we need 'diversity to the housing options". Fitchburg and Leominster, which have all sorts of options for housing (from motel rooms to mansions) are right next door!! If all the housing in Lunenburg starts at $350,000, and you can't afford that...guess what, you aren't going to live in Lunenburg. It is not an inalienable right that you get to live where you want to live and the community has to accomodate that by supplying housing in certain price ranges.

This will be another case where we spend $2 for each $1 collected in taxes. A huge drain on the Town (especially since it is kind of far geographically from the Public Safety complex). I can see it now, Chief Glenny will want a substation nearby to the cost of $2M.
Leominster3614

Leominster, MA

#7 Mar 9, 2010
I just think its sad that we have lost another place to take our families on summer weekend nights. TriTown had really turned itself around and had become very family friendly..first run shows..kids playing until they started...good 'clean' fun.

One less place for happy memories.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Mar 9, 2010
the last thing the area needs, but it's all about making money, and that's the bottom line
To Easty

Leominster, MA

#9 Mar 9, 2010
Typical of you idiots who post here (myself included). Tha real story is that it is funded by the state and who won the contract? A company in New Hampshire is going to collect a big pay check on the citizens of Mass. and spread the wealth around to his friends in New Hampshire. Great stimulus package for N.H.
Lunenburg Resident

Quincy, MA

#10 Mar 9, 2010
Great... Low income housing, just when FSC starts cleaning the area up by buying up all the low income properties and evicting the scum, Lunenburg goes and gives them a new place to turn to s***. Then they wonder why everyone is moving away...

Since: Mar 09

Leominster, MA

#11 Mar 9, 2010
Captain Obvious wrote:
As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto
And his mama cries
'Cause if there's one thing that she don't need
It's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetto
People, don't you understand
The child needs a helping hand
Or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day
Take a look at you and me,
Are we too blind to see,
Do we simply turn our heads
And look the other way
Well the world turns
And a hungry little boy with a runny nose
Plays in the street as the cold wind blows
In the ghetto
And his hunger burns
So he starts to roam the streets at night
And he learns how to steal
And he learns how to fight
In the ghetto
Then one night in desperation
A young man breaks away
He buys a gun, steals a car,
Tries to run, but he don't get far
And his mama cries
As a crowd gathers 'round an angry young man
Face down in the street with a gun in his hand
In the ghetto
As her young man dies,
On a cold and grey Chicago mornin',
Another little baby child is born
In the ghetto
And his mama cries
In the ghetto
In the ghetto
Can I request Suspicious Minds next?
Osolomio

Fitchburg, MA

#12 Mar 9, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
welcome to the newest crime zone in the tri town area and especially to lunenburg which has been shielded from all these low life illegal aliens and Puerto R.ican drug dealers. They're spreading their disease your way. as they use to say at the movies, coming to a theater near you.
I thought this kind of comment was only below the Mason-Dixon Line, but I guess it lives right here in North Worcester County, Lunenburg is one step away from having the state take over its failed School System...at least with all these new students of mixed ethnic heritage...this wasted plot of land will get into the real world. If you checked the police records you would find out that most crimes in Fitchburg are committed by your good old White Francophiles.
where to put the blame

Leominster, MA

#13 Mar 9, 2010
Was the owner of the drive inn forced to sell? Nope!! he made his chuck of change!! Why blame a company in New hampshire for making money!! How about all the sub contractors getting work out of this. Are they to blame? Nope. Your fancy little town is finally doing what they have to do to get your tax dollars back to Lunenburg!! Thats the fact. Now you will be eligable for more grants for other important things like SCHOOLS POLICE FIRE!! Stop whining and get with the game!!
Fizbo

Oakham, MA

#14 Mar 9, 2010
Let's not forget, TAXPAYERS money is funding this project!
MSA

Reading, MA

#15 Mar 9, 2010
The slums are coming! The slums are coming! When over 200 housing units "spring up in a town", the services WILL BE OVERWHELMED. Selectman deBettencourt is 1000% right on this. These high density housing units will have a very negative impact on all services: schools, public safety, water, sewer, increased traffic/pollution, etc. I'm not a resident of Lunenburg, however I also thought it was a nice town.... but this will soon change for the worse...
Theyre Baaaaaack

Windham, NH

#16 Mar 9, 2010
ExFincomm wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do we need 'diversity to the housing options". Fitchburg and Leominster, which have all sorts of options for housing (from motel rooms to mansions) are right next door!! If all the housing in Lunenburg starts at $350,000, and you can't afford that...guess what, you aren't going to live in Lunenburg. It is not an inalienable right that you get to live where you want to live and the community has to accomodate that by supplying housing in certain price ranges.
This will be another case where we spend $2 for each $1 collected in taxes. A huge drain on the Town (especially since it is kind of far geographically from the Public Safety complex). I can see it now, Chief Glenny will want a substation nearby to the cost of $2M.
First, the state, with MGL Chapter 40, mandates housing diversity across the Commonwealth. We cannot deny projects under that chapter until we reach a 10% threshold of housing units deemed "affordable". Using 40R (instead of the more less-friendly, more restrictive and costlier 40B) allows us, as a Town, to plan where the development can go, what services it is around and it brings in state money for the buildings (per unit) AND any impact it has on school budget increases.

Besides, even without that mandate, it is good planning to have a diversity of housing options. What is the problem with apartments for young adults starting their careers or for senior who might be downsizing, both of which are below the median income level? No, there is certainly no "unalienable right" to live in any particular area...but I, for one, believe a thriving community should attract (and welcome) hard-working, law-abiding citizens with the same values the community as a whole shares. Income levels do not necessarily dictate who those citizens are.

My final point is that there is no indication of the impact, positive or negative, that this development might have on Lunenburg as a whole.
Helen

Concord, MA

#17 Mar 10, 2010
And exactly where would you all like the poor people to live? Not in your back yard, I get it. Low income does not equal poor moral values any more than high income guarantees good moral character.

Yes, the contract went to a NH company. That's probably because their bid was the lowest qualified. Deciding to award the contract for a bid is a complex legal process. Too often, contractors submit incomplete bids, or packages that do not meet the publicly posted contract conditions. Then they cry fowl. And they get those members of the public who have not bothered to inform themselves in depth to support in their howl.
Get over yourselves. If you can't be part of the solution, at least stop being part of the problem. I'd rather have a new housing development in my backyard than an abandoned "passion pit."
Your new neighbors might just be some of your old friends who can no longer afford the price of home ownership.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#18 Mar 10, 2010
"High density housing development".....We used to call them PROJECTS !!!! Glad to see that they are putting it right by the Fitchburg line Mutual Aid purposes.
ExFincomm

Littleton, MA

#20 Mar 10, 2010
Theyre Baaaaaack wrote:
<quoted text>
First, the state, with MGL Chapter 40, mandates housing diversity across the Commonwealth. We cannot deny projects under that chapter until we reach a 10% threshold of housing units deemed "affordable". Using 40R (instead of the more less-friendly, more restrictive and costlier 40B) allows us, as a Town, to plan where the development can go, what services it is around and it brings in state money for the buildings (per unit) AND any impact it has on school budget increases.
Besides, even without that mandate, it is good planning to have a diversity of housing options. What is the problem with apartments for young adults starting their careers or for senior who might be downsizing, both of which are below the median income level? No, there is certainly no "unalienable right" to live in any particular area...but I, for one, believe a thriving community should attract (and welcome) hard-working, law-abiding citizens with the same values the community as a whole shares. Income levels do not necessarily dictate who those citizens are.
My final point is that there is no indication of the impact, positive or negative, that this development might have on Lunenburg as a whole.
I know about 40B and the State mandates aroound it. I am challenging/dissenting on the whole concept. Should the Govt force Mercedes-Benz to make a car that costs $18,000 so everyone who wants one can afford one?? Heck, Mercedes should be penalized because only the top 20% earners in the country can afford them.

If you think it is so great to have such diversity in a community, send the builders YOUR address, maybe they can put one up next to you. You sound like one of those Limousine Liberals..
Theyre Baaaaaack

Windham, NH

#21 Mar 10, 2010
ExFincomm wrote:
<quoted text>
I know about 40B and the State mandates aroound it. I am challenging/dissenting on the whole concept. Should the Govt force Mercedes-Benz to make a car that costs $18,000 so everyone who wants one can afford one?? Heck, Mercedes should be penalized because only the top 20% earners in the country can afford them.
If you think it is so great to have such diversity in a community, send the builders YOUR address, maybe they can put one up next to you. You sound like one of those Limousine Liberals..
When all else fails, you can always resort to name calling, I guess. "Limousine Liberal"...what exactly is that supposed to imply, anyway? It would be a more laughable comment if it was so sad.

First, I did not say that I supported the state Chapter 40 mandates (I don't), but was simply supplying an answer to your (maybe rhetorical) question as to why we need diversity of housing.

Second, you imply that I would reject such a project in my neighborhood and you would be wrong. If someone were to propose something in my area that addressed a housing need, fulfilled a state-mandate and made economic and planning sense I would certainly not oppose it....least of all based on socio-economic stereotypes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Ipswich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kinder Morgan shrinks proposed pipeline size 13 hr John Gorham- Rich... 1
My 9 year old niece shot by someone shooting BB... Jul 29 Michelle 1
News Record reveals Lowell school worker's anguish a... (May '08) Jul 25 Sharon 39
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New Hampsh... (Oct '10) Jul 15 Grunt56 31
Slumlords Jun '15 Angry lady 1
News Harvey Martel, father of convicted murderer Mol... (Aug '14) Aug '14 mollylaw 1
News High-speed Internet project at a standstill due... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Mike S 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Ipswich Mortgages