Squirrel-killing contest is totally nuts - OPINION

Feb 15, 2013 Full story: Buffalo.com 33

The annual Hazzard County Squirrel Slam, scheduled for Saturday near Brockport in Holley, N.Y., is a fundraiser organized by the Holley Fire Department .

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chuck

Harrisburg, PA

#24 Dec 5, 2014
Hold the event! Squirrels along with 99% of animals don't have feelings and rights. Please hold this and transform people for ethical treatment of animals into people eating tasty animals. This teaches kids to grow up loving the outdoors and hunting. This event isn't cruel to animals it's being nice to em' by controlling their population. To all sportsmen and NRA members, have fun this hunting season and good luck.
Peppy

Rochester, NY

#25 Dec 9, 2014
Me and my friend Paul love squirrels they are very tasty. You just need to know how to cook them.
The Stinker

Madisonville, KY

#26 Dec 10, 2014
Jaime Noddings wrote:
Re: 7th Annual Holley New York Squirrel Slam
Please don't hold this event. It sends a terrible message to people all around the world. This is an embarrassment to New York and will forever damage its reputation. It teaches kids to disrespect wildlife. It says that killing is an acceptable when someone is considered a pest or an inconvenience.
There are better, more effective and less destructive, ways of controlling wildlife populations. This shooting spree is dangerous and irresponsible. It is cruel to squirrels and puts other animals at risk of being accidentally shot, including pets.
These kids will learn that killing animals is fun and it is encouraged. This is the message they will take away from this event. They will continue to kill animals in the future, whatever animals they find suitable.
Please reconsider, donít teach kids to kill. Instead hold an event that teaches kids to connect to their environments, to respect and enhance them. You can organize nature walks, scavenger hunts, geocaching, archery, target shooting, etc. While playing games, kids can learn tree and plant species, their uses, what invasive species are and how to control them. Kids can get involved in preserving areas in their neighbourhoods.
Neighbourhood events are an opportunity to teach kids to respect all life and help them develop skills that they will use later. Please donít help them to become violent and cruel, they have enough help with that already.
Thank you for sharing this. I live in a small, rural community serviced by a volunteer fire department. We are always looking for new ways to raise funds and you have given us an excellent idea. A squirrel slam sounds like a great way to raise money for our cash strapped fire department. Again, thank you. Not only are we going to help our fire department, at the same time we can get rid of some of these pesky squirrels.
hunter

Rochester, NY

#27 Jan 13, 2015
what is the date for this years slam ?
The Stinker

Madisonville, KY

#28 Jan 17, 2015
hunter wrote:
what is the date for this years slam ?
We've already had ours, but check around. There should be others.
Answer

Honolulu, HI

#29 Jan 17, 2015
Irene wrote:
It shows that men haven't the compassion woman have.
All these comments are from non compassion men.
Kill, rape, cheating, lieing shooting animals.
Rape a squirrel?

I trap them and relocate them to an area of people I hate.
The Stinker

Madisonville, KY

#30 Jan 18, 2015
Irene wrote:
It shows that men haven't the compassion woman have.
All these comments are from non compassion men.
Kill, rape, cheating, lieing shooting animals.
I have never once raped, cheated on or lied to an animal. I am appalled that someone would suggest such a thing. You might appreciate this sport more if you would pitch in and help. While we're busy killing these squirrels, the least you could do is to offer to skin them, then put them in a skillet and fry them. If you had any compassion at all, you wouldn't leave all the work to us men.
Jerry

United States

#31 Jan 19, 2015
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Seeing as how so many of our fine and beautiful songbirds and wilkdbirds are killed by loose and ferel cats....BETTER TO HAVE A SEASON OF RIDDING THE COMMUNITY OF THE BIGGEST THREAT TO MOTHER NATURE.....FREE-ROAMING Niggers.....
Amen to that!
Long Island Ahole

Hilton, NY

#32 Tuesday Feb 17
Why does some nut in Long Island worried about squirrels ?

http://www.orleanshub.com/news2015/Injunction...
Dirty Harry

Rochester, NY

#33 Wednesday Feb 18
This is held during squirrel season, what's the big deal ? These do-gooders need to worry about their own town.
Rocky The Squirrel

Rochester, NY

#34 Thursday Feb 19
Judge Punch ruled that the Slam is still on and tore up that New York City Wacko in court today. Lets shot some varmant's
Mind Wanderer

Medina, NY

#35 Friday Feb 20
A holder of a small game license in NYS is allowed to harvest 6 squirrels per day from September thru Feb. 28th. There is no closed season on red squirrels. The potential is far greater to deplete the populations that exist outside village & city limits during this window of opportunity than on just the last day of the season by those who enter this contest. Village & city squirrels of all types are protected year round. Duh!
Heard it here first

Hilton, NY

#37 Saturday Feb 28
got my 3 squirrels how bout you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Hyde Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New York City mayor marches in gay pre-St. Patr... 57 min Fa-Foxy 15
Couple seeks compensation for sewage damage to ... (Jun '08) 7 hr calebhart54 38
Help Needed Real Bad and Such Tue True American and... 1
A 'hell on Horton Road' for family of murder vi... (Jul '06) Tue The Last Boy Scout 1,110
Nike to debut first NYC Factory Store location Mon Hahaufunny 1
Review: Speedy Locksmith NYC Mar 2 Kim Jones 1
Nassau County Court and Family Court judges (Nov '08) Mar 1 sara 71

Winter Storm Warning for Nassau County was issued at March 04 at 3:49PM EST

New Hyde Park News Video

New Hyde Park Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New Hyde Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]