Home-school parents battle towns, state

Home-schooler Isabel Salmon, 15, goes over a stack of lesson plans with her mom, Anne Lowe-Salmon. Isabel has flourished since she started home schooling, winning numerous awards for her academic achievements. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RacerXX

Newington, CT

#1 Jun 2, 2008
If you home school your children then they can not be indoctrinated and brain washed into political correctness (sic) by the liberal pro union democrats.

You will then have free and critical thinking people that will not want to fall in line with the drones, these people will be able to think for themselves. How will they be able to control such individuals? Well there is the church of global warming that the sheep on signing on to.
JTA

Coventry, CT

#2 Jun 2, 2008
This breaks my heart to think of a child who is a miracle to have survived infancy being tortured by the brats at school. It sounds like her parents made the right choice and it is unfortunate there were no other options. I hope all parents learn from this and teach their kids to have respect for others.
Aderryn

Rochester, NY

#3 Jun 2, 2008
RacerXX wrote:
If you home school your children then they can not be indoctrinated and brain washed into political correctness (sic) by the liberal pro union democrats.
You will then have free and critical thinking people that will not want to fall in line with the drones, these people will be able to think for themselves. How will they be able to control such individuals? Well there is the church of global warming that the sheep on signing on to.
Wow. Useless post. Now we'll just wait for the rebuttal from the other extreme. Bleh.
liberalism

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jun 2, 2008
JTA wrote:
This breaks my heart to think of a child who is a miracle to have survived infancy being tortured by the brats at school. It sounds like her parents made the right choice and it is unfortunate there were no other options. I hope all parents learn from this and teach their kids to have respect for others.
I agree. The parents also should be recipients of school vouchers, paid by reducing their property taxes since they opted out of the public school system.
RacerXX

Newington, CT

#5 Jun 2, 2008
Aderryn wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Useless post. Now we'll just wait for the rebuttal from the other extreme. Bleh.
Do you deney that the Teacher's Union is extremely pro democrat and endorses' as such. Do you deney that the schools have a vested interest to have as many children enrolled as possible and home schooling counters that? Do you deney that the schools teach or should I say preach poltical correctness over truth?

Instead of dismissing my original post, why don't you THINK if perhaps the old boy doesn't make some valid points. I think you make my case for me, obviously a product of public schools and votes democrat. You should learn the meaning of critical thinking and then apply it before rebutting.
Isabelle

Windsor Locks, CT

#6 Jun 2, 2008
I will say this, there are some of us that did fill out the notice of intent and even waited for it to be stamped as received from the school system and still they called in DCF. Even with Doctors letters etc. It is an outrage that people are allowed to use the strong arm of DCF to bully parents etc. at the expense of the children etc. They are traumatizing children and families over the numbers and $ they are not wanting to loose when one goes to withdrawn their children from the schools to homeschool or send to a private school. Calling in false reports is illegal. So who is breaking the law? They are
Aderryn

Rochester, NY

#7 Jun 2, 2008
RacerXX wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you deney that the Teacher's Union is extremely pro democrat and endorses' as such. Do you deney that the schools have a vested interest to have as many children enrolled as possible and home schooling counters that? Do you deney that the schools teach or should I say preach poltical correctness over truth?
Instead of dismissing my original post, why don't you THINK if perhaps the old boy doesn't make some valid points. I think you make my case for me, obviously a product of public schools and votes democrat. You should learn the meaning of critical thinking and then apply it before rebutting.
Lol. I'm actually homeschooled to 10th grade and a registered independent who votes a mixed bag and never any straight line. I'm tired of the constant haranguing back and forth of "liberals are evil and too soft" and "conservatives are evil and hate poor people and minoroties."

Making flippant statements attacking one extreme does not make the case for "critical thinking."

Both extremes are destroying our country since they polarize themselves so much that they are simply unable to see beyond their strident opinions and beliefs. Both extremes see only black and white and are incapable of recognizing nuances of any given situation that sends them into knee-jerk mode.

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

#8 Jun 2, 2008
RacerXX wrote:
RacerXX, Home schooling is good in some ways as long as the family are involved in outside activities. Otherwise the children do not always learn good social skills and coping skills. But, I've seen how home schooling has effected many in anegative way as well.

In relation to "Political Correctness," that is learned more through several processes, not just in public schooling.

I went through public schooling, while growing up and I went to four universities as an adult. Yet, I find "Political Correctness" to being utterly stupid. So, how do your explain that?

You cannot lump all the problems in society onto public schooling by themselves. And I rather doubt that you can qualify all your complaints about public schooling in all fifty states, as our education system actually veries from one another throughout the fifty states here in the United States.

Cheers

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

#9 Jun 2, 2008
Aderryn wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. I'm actually homeschooled to 10th grade and a registered independent who votes a mixed bag and never any straight line. I'm tired of the constant haranguing back and forth of "liberals are evil and too soft" and "conservatives are evil and hate poor people and minoroties."
Making flippant statements attacking one extreme does not make the case for "critical thinking."
Both extremes are destroying our country since they polarize themselves so much that they are simply unable to see beyond their strident opinions and beliefs. Both extremes see only black and white and are incapable of recognizing nuances of any given situation that sends them into knee-jerk mode.
Well put and stated Aderryn.

Cheers
RacerXX

Newington, CT

#11 Jun 2, 2008
Guys (and girls),

I agree that not all children, adolecents and adults fall prey to the propaganda. I am the product of a public school system and my two children as well, but you can't deny that "they" try to push their agenda and malarkey. That's all I'm saying and I'm happy to hear you graduated with your common sense in tact. There is hope yet!
83 Fairview

New London, CT

#12 Jun 2, 2008
We've made our policy clear that if a child is being home-schooled, that is not educational neglect," he said. "If a child is not receiving any education ... neither at school or at home, that can be neglect and we'll work with the family to remedy that situation. Sometimes there are other issues with a family. We have to be careful about that. Just because we get a report that a child isn't going to school and we find out that child is being schooled at home, that doesn't mean there aren't other issues."

What does that mean? That they'll keep investigating until they find something?
Donna

Boston, MA

#13 Jun 2, 2008
I find it amusing that on previous post whenever a child in the public school system does something wrong everyone is quick to blame the parents. Here the parents are doing what they think is best for their children and yet people still complain. I know children who are home schooled they are very polite, well rounded individuals, who are very intelligent, they don't judge people based on their clothing, there is no peer pressure, no clicks.
Home schooling is not for everyone but if something works for the children lets be supportive instead of judgemental.
Adrianne

Middletown, CT

#14 Jun 2, 2008
My Opinion_El Paso_TX wrote:
<quoted text>
RacerXX, Home schooling is good in some ways as long as the family are involved in outside activities. Otherwise the children do not always learn good social skills and coping skills.
You've repeated the same blather that people have been saying for decades. Do you have any facts to back it up or is that just your perception?
Adrianne

Middletown, CT

#15 Jun 2, 2008
Thanks to the CT Post for writing such a well-informed and positive article about homeschooling. Regardless of what the teachers unions think, our children do not belong to them!
Brooklawn

Glen Cove, NY

#16 Jun 2, 2008
I would like to see more home schooling. The schools are too big and classes to disruptive. My son is in private school 6 to 1 student teacher ratio. What would be wrong with having real neighborhood schools where a group of parents pay a teacher in a home to teach?
Anita

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Jun 2, 2008
Brooklawn wrote:
I would like to see more home schooling. The schools are too big and classes to disruptive. My son is in private school 6 to 1 student teacher ratio. What would be wrong with having real neighborhood schools where a group of parents pay a teacher in a home to teach?
This is exactly what many homeschool parents{who can't afford the private school tuition} do.
We hire teachers for groups of children, belong to small co ops, use classes on line.And if the class or teacher is not the right fit we can change it, this is the beauty of homeschool, children can thrive and learn in a way that is unprecedented.
We cobble together an education, the best we can for our children at a cost we can afford, while still paying school taxes so everyone elses children, can attend school:)
For many home school parents, for one reason or another, public school is not a viable choice.The reasons are varied, from abuse suffered in schools,, to "No Child Gets Ahead", to learning difficulties...
We are just trying to do the right thing for our kids and families,
As this article makes very clear
thanks CT Post
PEACE
KJw

Meriden, CT

#18 Jun 2, 2008
I'm a product of public school, but have always been a free inependent thinker. I have a graduate degree and can see the overall decline in the basics that I received as a child in the early 70's After having our child in the publc school system, I have bee disappointed with the actual material being taught and have decided to homeschool our child. There are way too many distractions at public school, many of the social disfunctional children hog all the teachers attention 80% of the time. This I have observed for myself so don't counter my opinion, my child can learn much more at home. My child is very excited to be away from this highly disfunctional institution.
Temp reading 451

Bayonne, NJ

#19 Jun 2, 2008
The schools and DCF need to stop doing this to families and kids who decide to home-school. This is typical of the leftists who are very sure that they know better and they know how to use the system to help themselves and hurt you, make it costly and difficult to disagree with them...they want you money and self perpetuating jobs in both DCF and Tenure for all teachers so they build their bureaucracy with their political vision with your tax dollars. We expected it when we were in college but my daughter came home from grammar school and told us hoe her teacher told the class that George Bush was a stupid idiot...I did not vote for Bush but I can tell you this.. this type of indoctrination to adolescent minds is bad news and it is wrong....they want these kids to control them and in their eyes your just a stupid parent--they know what’s best and are willing to bring in DCF to make your life a living hell...what have we come to?
Aderryn

Rochester, NY

#20 Jun 3, 2008
I know this is a bit off topic but I wonder this often when speaking with friends of mine who have already involved their very young children in the political process. How many people who are upset at the messages kids are bringing home from school are upset simply because they aren't messages that match with the beliefs of the parents? I'm not saying that any beliefs are right or wrong and I certainly do believe that many teachers or school environments can preach a certain political leaning (and depending on the school that can be EITHER very conservative or very liberal - my 11th and 12th grade years were spent at a VERY conservative leaning school). Do parents REALLY want kids to think for themselves? Or do they simply want their kids to share the same beliefs as they possess?\

My one girlfriend is so proud that her 5 year old daughter can "talk politics" and is a huge Obama supporter and brags at how her daughter has become this way all on her own. Except....she lives in a household where conservative ideas are constantly belittled and Obama-love is preached constantly. So...how much of what our children become is really from their own choice? Knowledge of the world, and choices we make, and belief systems we grown up with, are always determined by our OWN personal upbringing...it seems disingenuous to me to say that we want our kids to be independent thinkers who develop their own ideas and opinions when it comes to their moral development. As a parent myself I have to admit that I would be upset if my child ended up having very extreme beliefs in either direction, and I feel that part of my job as a parent is imparting morals and values that I believe in. So basically it seems that a lot of the time parents with one set of values are running up against schools with divergent values and so the two clash.

Sorry if this makes little sense. I still need coffee :-)
are you successful

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Jun 3, 2008
Aderryn wrote:
<quoted text>

Just curious, how did home schooling work out for you? Are you successful in your career? Weere you able to make it in college?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Thu Bently 19,568
Review: Fairmount Theatre (Oct '10) Wed Rickyg77 3,452
Connecticut Style on News Channel 8 (Jul '11) Dec 17 Pamela W 3
Parents Investigation on DCF in CT (Feb '09) Dec 15 Satan nocks 42
abbie Dec 13 abe 1
Home Depot Plaza Dec 7 Husky Fan 1
Review: Craystone Massage Therapy Dec 2 Sal 1
New Haven Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web