Business owner hopes to give kids something to do

Jared McCredie, 15, left, and Austin Barnes, 13, both of New Freedom, taste meatballs at Max's Dog House in New Freedom last week. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ForTheKids

York, PA

#1 May 23, 2011
Kudos to Mr. Stewart! Thanks for giving back to the kids. Not too many people do that these days.
Just_Me

United States

#2 May 23, 2011
This is a great service to the kids of the community. I hope the kids respect Mr. Stewart's effort for a long time.

Somehow though, I envision a few losers ruining this good thing by wrecking the place in some way.
Michelle My Belle

Mount Laurel, NJ

#3 May 23, 2011
His menu is loaded with high fat, high calorie items. Hot dogs, bacon, donuts, etc. This will only cause the kids to get fat and develop coronary disease. They should be serving salad and fruit, organic of course.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#4 May 23, 2011
Michelle My Belle wrote:
His menu is loaded with high fat, high calorie items. Hot dogs, bacon, donuts, etc. This will only cause the kids to get fat and develop coronary disease. They should be serving salad and fruit, organic of course.
I think it would be great to have healthy options, but teens need to learn to choose healthy choices, not have healthy choices forced on them. The menu is pretty reflective of what they would find at any other eatery.
Zach Noll

York, PA

#5 May 23, 2011
I love smokin a fat blunt going here and munching out thanks chief
Mom of Teens

York, PA

#6 May 23, 2011
I think this is a wonderful outlet for kids; If they monitor it and it doesn't become a hang out for kids who frequently make bad choices. I can see this going the wrong way real quick if discipline and rules are not enforced.
Susky Warrior

Shrewsbury, PA

#7 May 23, 2011
Michelle My Belle wrote:
Even though some of the food is not "healthy" the kids are free to make their own decisions. Not only that, but I've been in there and have seen adults enjoying their food also.
Local mom

Shrewsbury, PA

#8 May 23, 2011
The congregating at the local businesses near this facility has already begun. Kids in the middle of the street riding bikes and skateboards on private property nearby. I'm sure that SRPD will be spending most of their time on Franklin and Front streets.
ForTheKids

York, PA

#9 May 24, 2011
Sounds like the kids need to have boundaries and expectations made to them...by their parents and the restaurant.
Steve

Omaha, NE

#10 May 24, 2011
Local mom wrote:
The congregating at the local businesses near this facility has already begun. Kids in the middle of the street riding bikes and skateboards on private property nearby. I'm sure that SRPD will be spending most of their time on Franklin and Front streets.
You know this has been a long time problem since I moved here in 83. Why has every business that caters to the young fail in this area? They immed. face this negative rhetoric because young people gathering is evil. I get that some may deal drugs, great not the business fault catch them. I have never lived anywhere in this country where these business's are negative as they are here. The only alternative I see from our famous Southern helicopter parents is to lock them inside to play xbox and smoke weed in their basement, hoping the other parents dont find out about it.
Eggman

Mount Laurel, NJ

#11 May 24, 2011
If the kids have such low test scores maybe they should spend some time studying.
NF Gr8

Shrewsbury, PA

#12 May 24, 2011
Good Job, nice to see something good happening in a wonderful area to live. Keep up the good work.
GetaLIFE

Shrewsbury, PA

#13 May 24, 2011
The Obama Government is far more unhealthy for our kids than a freaking hamburger.
Mother of two

Sandy Hook, VA

#14 May 24, 2011
I think that this is a great idea for the kids. To go and hang out with there friends. Parents just need to monitor there kids. Whitch you should be doing already.There are always going to be those groups that make the wrong choices. Max's is not making there choices for them. They are giving them better choices than to do drugs and get into trouble.
Susky Warrior

Shrewsbury, PA

#15 May 24, 2011
Local mom wrote:
People have been congregating up the street, outside Bonkey's, for years. I am sure you have a problem with that too. No surprise the troll's found their way to this article.
NF Res

Shrewsbury, PA

#16 May 24, 2011
Eggman wrote:
If the kids have such low test scores maybe they should spend some time studying.
I think one of the idea's behind Bonkey's is to bring in tutors and mentor's to help the kids improve upon their studies. Maybe if parents would try not to put everything on someone else, they would find their children doing better in school.

Since parents are not doing that, it is not going to stop Mr. Stewart from providing the students with the best opportunity to succeed in school and in life. Something SYCSD has not been doing very well.
NF Res

Shrewsbury, PA

#17 May 24, 2011
"one of the idea's behind Max's"

sorry for the mistake
meh

Parkville, MD

#18 May 24, 2011
A place where Christ meets kids, one hot dog at a time.

Maybe not the best quote for many reasons. People in NF hate everything, the train, the Wreck, now the Doghouse. NF is like a strange Stepford of really nosy people, who think everyone should keep to themselves. Ugly small town politics at its worst. Either way, I think this place is going to be a money pit that ends the same way the "coffee shop" in the factory that peddled more Jesus than decent coffee did. All faith based businesses fail for the same reason, eventually they alienate everyone who doesn't think like they do. Unless they are say Chick fil'a who doesn't employ Muslims, keeps its "operators" in a perpetual state of servitude by not allowing them ownership in the company, enforcing draconian rules on tattoos and piercings and "puts an addictive chemical in their chicken that makes you crave it even more", oh and I forgot hates the gays. Best of luck, but the "community" of Few Freedom will run you out of town on a rail.
Eggman

York, PA

#19 May 24, 2011
meh wrote:
A place where Christ meets kids, one hot dog at a time.
Maybe not the best quote for many reasons. People in NF hate everything, the train, the Wreck, now the Doghouse. NF is like a strange Stepford of really nosy people, who think everyone should keep to themselves. Ugly small town politics at its worst. Either way, I think this place is going to be a money pit that ends the same way the "coffee shop" in the factory that peddled more Jesus than decent coffee did. All faith based businesses fail for the same reason, eventually they alienate everyone who doesn't think like they do. Unless they are say Chick fil'a who doesn't employ Muslims, keeps its "operators" in a perpetual state of servitude by not allowing them ownership in the company, enforcing draconian rules on tattoos and piercings and "puts an addictive chemical in their chicken that makes you crave it even more", oh and I forgot hates the gays. Best of luck, but the "community" of Few Freedom will run you out of town on a rail.
Too many Marylanders live there.
David Stewart

Shrewsbury, PA

#20 Aug 6, 2011
While everyone has shown proper concerns for the menu and for what is happening at Max's we have made many adjustments, the children are no longer allowed to loiter outside, and if they do, we the employees will go outside and tell them they either have to come inside and hang out in the loft which was meant for them to be at, or to leave because they do tend to scare away the adults for God knows whatever reasons.

We do NOT force religion upon anyone, I am personally an atheist and the Chief is not, he understands me and only talks about religion if people do bring it up. I would recommend coming in to try the food out, it's great and cheap, you can get larger portions of food for much less than you would at McDonald's, Chick-Fil-A, etc. The only place that rivals us is Subway, however, you can feed a family for $20~$30 dollars where as you'd need over $40 for just three people for average meals at some of the other places!

So please, come in and try the food out, see if you enjoy the place or not. Don't be afraid to come in, we are friendly and willing to take criticism! And for those wondering, I am not the Chief's son, as he has a son with the same name as I do. I am just an employee that enjoys his job and would like to see more faces come in and become regulars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Freedom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officials Check Railroad Crossing Safety Dec 22 Fried peirogies 6
Maryland man charged with stabbing man at Stewa... Dec 8 Mrs Artdeco 1
stew. police again... (Aug '11) Dec 7 Cheryl Marston 12
zachary witman "rage turned murder" (Jan '07) Dec 5 Chris B 33
New Freedom Elementary School and small candy s... (Aug '10) Oct '14 Texas Yankee looking 2
railroad estate sale Oct '14 tmc2457 1
New royal farms store Sep '14 Stacylynn17378 1
New Freedom Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New Freedom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New Freedom News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New Freedom

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News