The York Daily Record - Witman to get new trial

A pair of white cotton socks a judge said should not have been waved in front of a jury has garnered once-convicted killer Zachary Witman a new trial. Full Story
plug

Harrisburg, PA

#1 Dec 22, 2007
No if ands or buts, Witman is guilty and its time for Uhler to step down.
Dug

Scranton, PA

#2 Dec 22, 2007
As a parent, I can understand the Whitman's battle to spare Zachary, however...as a citizen, I would be alarmed to have someone loose in public with such a short fuse as to murder when "provoked"....much less their own brother. As for guilt...if the Dr Phil types are correct about serial & random murderers, we should have had more victims by now in New Freedom if the wrong person had been convicted. I believe this crime was personal and all about a total lack of self-control...if it had gone unchecked, maybe the next time it would have been guns at the Galleria because a raincheck was denied ? A lot has happened to public awareness since 1998. The public is now even more aware of violence and has more fear for their safety than ever before. Zachary's new trial would have more hope, if Gregory's body was also inadmissable evidence.
kerry

United States

#3 Dec 22, 2007
Witman/Uhler should both be sent to the chair. Witman even has a cute little smile on his mug shot. Grease him!
MB Dave

AOL

#4 Dec 22, 2007
OK - reopen the case. Maybe he can have the death penalty this time. If he received an unfair trial, it was because the Defense blocked the crucial evidence. Now let's examine all of the evidence, including the bloody gloves and clothes under the tree in the backyard. His first penalty was not stiff enough.
speaking for Gregory

West Orange, NJ

#5 Dec 23, 2007
We all know that Zach murdered his brother, for whatever reason, and the Witmans, deep down, know it too, whether they choose to ignore it or not. Truth is, Zach's a monster, and no parent would want to admit that, especially since he's the only child they have left. I don't want him out, walking free. He's a menace.

As to the parents, I still remember Mrs. Witman's comment from long ago, and it still chills me to the bone, today: in one story, she mentioned that Gregory was already dead and there was nothing to be done about him, so they had to focus on Zach.

Unbelievable. Why has Greg's murder gone by the wayside in favor of preserving his killer? What kind of twisted thinking is that?

Hmmm...maybe the apple didn't fall so far from the tree in this one. Maybe Zach has learned his lessons well...
CMF

West Orange, NJ

#6 Dec 23, 2007
Amen, Dug. You're on the right page.
There's nothing innocent about Zach Witman -- and the fact that he is able to lie so unflinchingly only confirms that the kid essentially has no conscience.

Folks, the parents are lucky they didn't cross him before this, or they'd probably be gone, too. Right now, they're his ticket to freedom, and he's going to take full advantage of that. Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

I don't think they know who he is. God help anyone who's naive enough to get involved with him if he DOES get out -- next it'll be court appearances for domestic violence...or another murder when someone offends him.

On second thought, God help us. Yikes.
oh so guilty_syoco

United States

#7 Dec 29, 2007
people very close to myself went to school with the MURDERER. sat right next to him in class, a matter of fact and he was a weirdo than. im sure that still has not changed. even put on the senior t-shirt for the class of 2001. why was he even allowed to be on home arrest playing video games, eating mcdonalds for such a gruesome crime. his parents are losers saying first it was construction men than it was an anti semitic act. go to hell!! noboby knew they were jewish. they dont even practice. i am sorry the family had to lose the only normal member. everyone forgets the victim. what a good kid!! he was smart, popular athletic. everything ZACH was not. please dont let the MURDERER back into my community i have a family who i dont want MUREDERED!! he doesnt deserve life in prision, he doesnt deserve the chair, he deserves no mercy as he showed NONE to Gregory. 65 stab wounds and almost decapitated- i hope god saves your heartless,evil soul Zach. nice mugshot also smile some more MURDERER.!!!!!!
Tom P

Mount Aetna, PA

#8 Jan 1, 2008
Just remember these decision when these judges come up for retention. I don't care how good a judge is 1 term is good enough for all of them. Hopefully the DA will appeal this decision and it will be overturned, if not hopefully he will be found guilty a second time. If not hopefully the voting citizens of York will remember this decision.
Charlie Bronson

AOL

#9 Jan 1, 2008
The State should bring back the electric chair and he should be the first to FRY........
John

AOL

#10 Jan 1, 2008
You would think someone already in prison with this scumbag would kill him.
george

State College, PA

#11 Jan 1, 2008
I moved into the area less than 2 months before the murder and it occurred within a few blocks of my new home - most unsettling. I read every news article and paid close attention to the trial proceedings. I was appalled with the inadmissable evidence and the antics of the father when Zach was out on bail and during the trial.

The new trial is depressing. It reinforces my disbelief in the system and the disrespect I have for the judges. This is such a waste of time and money, and there is a chance that a murderer could be released.
TBL

Mount Aetna, PA

#12 Jan 2, 2008
I don't think we will have to worry about a new trial the DA's office will win their appeal of Uhler's decison. If he does get a new trial the outcome will be the same, guilty. He wasn't found guilty becuase of ineffective defense council. He was found guilty becuase he is guilty. Intersting though that the decision of ineffective counsel revolved around a piece of evidence the good Judge has already said could not be let in. I think that was a poor strategy on the part of his attorney I don't know it makes him ineffective. Guess that's why I'm not a judge.
rufus

United States

#13 Dec 26, 2010
if there is even the slightest shred of the possibility of innocence the kid deserves the chance to be heard. We're talking about a human life here. Not some statistic. How would you feel on the other end of the scale? Think about that before you make retarded ass assuptions.
Guilty Guilty Guilty

Elkridge, MD

#14 Dec 26, 2010
The defence was succesful in getting most the hard evidence thrown out of the first trial due to no search warrant. He was still found guilty even without it. Thats why the first trial was delayed for years. He was found guilty because he is.
Kwanzaa Kenny from Kenya

Shrewsbury, PA

#15 Dec 26, 2010
Kenny says that's great news! Kenny knows that will just generate another round of the same-old, same-old. Kenny knows he is guilty - or Is he innocent??? Hmmmm. Please convince Kenny one way or the other because he has not read nearly enough about this crap over the past several years. But wait just a minute because Kenny is busy blocking this topic first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Freedom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maryland man charged with stabbing man at Stewa... Jan '15 joe 2
Lawmaker supports new Donora-Webster Bridge (Apr '10) Jan '15 Tom 4
ballbusting Jan '15 justaguy 2
Officials Check Railroad Crossing Safety Dec '14 Fried peirogies 6
stew. police again... (Aug '11) Dec '14 Cheryl Marston 12
zachary witman "rage turned murder" (Jan '07) Dec '14 Chris B 33
New Freedom Elementary School and small candy s... (Aug '10) Oct '14 Texas Yankee looking 2

Winter Storm Warning for York County was issued at March 05 at 3:57AM EST

New Freedom Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New Freedom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:22 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:22PM
Latest Rumors Around Chris Canty