PennDOT: Too late to change I-83 bridge replacement plan

State Department of Transportation officials will move ahead with replacing three bridges over Interstate 83 in Shrewsbury Township at the same time because it would cost a few hundred thousand dollars to delay the work. Full Story
Windy Hill Resident

Jarrettsville, MD

#1 Oct 18, 2010
I am angered by the handling of this bridge project. We live on the east side of I-83 and there are four direct routes to get to the west side (Old Trail): Windy Hill Rd, Stewartstown Road, Rte 851 and Tolna Road. With the closing of two of these routes, residents are left with either taking either the already very congested Rte 851 or the dangerous (at the Windy Hill turn) Tolna Road.

There are many children affected by this closure and the school district is now left to to reassign bus routes. Our bus at one time used Tolna Road until the bus driver nearly slid off the road b/c of the poor quality turn. This is a dangerous right turn onto Windy Hill or left turn off of Windy Hill under the best of weather conditions. I wonder if the school district was ever informed of this pending closure, OR were they left in the dark as were the residents whom this affects?

The neighborhoods affected were never notified. We received nothing in the mail or left on our doors about this, nor did it ever appear in the Shrewsbury Township newsletter. Had we been notified, we would have been there to voice our concerns.

Although there are less than 30 houses between Tolna and the I-83 overpass, we should have been notified. Many of these residents are older adults, including some in their 80s with health concerns. As the fire cheif says, it will now delay emergency responders- since the two main arteries to this side of the highway are affected- Stewartstown and Windy Hill Road.

We have lived here nearly 20 years and know our way around pretty well, but none of those back, twisty country roads will be safe when the snow comes, nor will the Tolna Road turn. You are cutting us off as you- Penn Dot-- did during the snowstorms in 93 and 94 and blizzard of 96- you plowed from 851 to Tolna Road and from the Old Trail to what was then called Church Road, leaving everyone between Tolna and the 83 overpass left with no means of leaving of our homes- You are doing it to us again, but this time not just for the 3 or 4 days, but for more than ONE YEAR!!!

Our question is basic- why must you close both Stewartstwon and Windy Hill Road together? Why can't you repair Windy Hill and leave Stewartstown open and then close Stewartstown after the Windy Hill bridge has been replaced?
john doe 000069

York, PA

#2 Oct 18, 2010
Windy Hill Resident wrote:
I am angered by the handling of this bridge project. We live on the east side of I-83 and there are four direct routes to get to the west side (Old Trail): Windy Hill Rd, Stewartstown Road, Rte 851 and Tolna Road. With the closing of two of these routes, residents are left with either taking either the already very congested Rte 851 or the dangerous (at the Windy Hill turn) Tolna Road.
There are many children affected by this closure and the school district is now left to to reassign bus routes. Our bus at one time used Tolna Road until the bus driver nearly slid off the road b/c of the poor quality turn. This is a dangerous right turn onto Windy Hill or left turn off of Windy Hill under the best of weather conditions. I wonder if the school district was ever informed of this pending closure, OR were they left in the dark as were the residents whom this affects?
The neighborhoods affected were never notified. We received nothing in the mail or left on our doors about this, nor did it ever appear in the Shrewsbury Township newsletter. Had we been notified, we would have been there to voice our concerns.
Although there are less than 30 houses between Tolna and the I-83 overpass, we should have been notified. Many of these residents are older adults, including some in their 80s with health concerns. As the fire cheif says, it will now delay emergency responders- since the two main arteries to this side of the highway are affected- Stewartstown and Windy Hill Road.
We have lived here nearly 20 years and know our way around pretty well, but none of those back, twisty country roads will be safe when the snow comes, nor will the Tolna Road turn. You are cutting us off as you- Penn Dot-- did during the snowstorms in 93 and 94 and blizzard of 96- you plowed from 851 to Tolna Road and from the Old Trail to what was then called Church Road, leaving everyone between Tolna and the 83 overpass left with no means of leaving of our homes- You are doing it to us again, but this time not just for the 3 or 4 days, but for more than ONE YEAR!!!
Our question is basic- why must you close both Stewartstwon and Windy Hill Road together? Why can't you repair Windy Hill and leave Stewartstown open and then close Stewartstown after the Windy Hill bridge has been replaced?
If you are concerned about your safety and having no way to get home. Contact, pester, bug your local law makers. They will tell them to stop.
concerned citizen

Shrewsbury, PA

#3 Oct 18, 2010
no they won't....it all boils down to money. no one but the locals care about safety
swinefloo

New Freedom, PA

#4 Nov 2, 2010
It's a PennDot job...what else would you expect? Have they ever gotten it right just once?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Freedom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
railroad estate sale Oct 17 tmc2457 1
zachary witman "rage turned murder" (Jan '07) Oct 13 anon 32
stew. police again... (Aug '11) Oct 3 Megan Strien 11
New royal farms store Sep '14 Stacylynn17378 1
Brian Blanchette | Berkshire Hathaway Realty Aug '14 Barbara Burns 1
Quarter auctions' illegality takes people by su... (Dec '10) Aug '14 Keeping busy 10
Seiling Furniture Co. Railroad, Pa (Aug '10) May '14 Elizabeth Maring 20
New Freedom Dating
Find my Match

New Freedom Jobs

New Freedom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New Freedom News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New Freedom

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]