New Freedom's LaMotte's Restaurant cl...

New Freedom's LaMotte's Restaurant closed

There are 37 comments on the York Dispatch story from Jul 13, 2009, titled New Freedom's LaMotte's Restaurant closed. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

A long-standing, popular New Freedom restaurant noted for its crab cakes remains closed after a July 1 health inspection netted more than 50 violations, but it will take more than a good cleaning to reopen LaMotte's Restaurant, 7 E. Franklin St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Semi-literate

York, PA

#23 Jul 15, 2009
Come on, folks: that nice red mold stuff on the soda dispensers? Where else do ya' think Birch Beer comes from?
Silence Dogood

Dover, PA

#24 Jul 15, 2009
"THE BASEMENT and had nothing to do with the restaurant itself"???

Not true , the basement held many private parties. Even if the ice machine was not plugged in , it still was a violation.

ONE DEAD ROACH will get you a violation. Should be no signs of life other than a cooks and servers in a kitchen.

Poor Employees??????
I know three people that work there, and plain and simple, they just dont care. Simple tasks like wiping down the mold was not even done.

All in all poor leadership.( You know who you are )

I have know Larry for many years and do have to say he is sort of an idiot. He got lucky with his crabcakes and had no competition.

I lost a lot of respect for him when he cut out weight bearing walls and pillars to expand the dining area, rendering the whole upstairs unusable.

I will agree with " Someone who cares " that the state health inspectors are a joke. I have owned a restaurant for many years and I can tell you that the inspections are a joke. Although , I have not received a score lower than a 98 in several years and they have given me very high marks when they come in.
Jon

Ellicott City, MD

#25 Jul 15, 2009
Maybe the crunch in tha crab cake wasn't the crab shell but a roach.

Since: Jul 08

Alexandria, VA

#26 Jul 15, 2009
ok ... if Larry SOLD the place THEN WHY IS HE BEING thrown under the buss here folks??

when you SELL a restaurant ... you SELL IT. its NOT YOURS ANYMORE ...

THE NEW owners are to be held responsible
couldnt agree more

Waynesboro, PA

#27 Jul 15, 2009
Everybody wants to know why the health inspectors didn't close it down before. It's because the inspectors who work for the state who do routine checkups don't care about their job and people's safety. Now, the York City health inspectors would have closed it a long time ago. I never understood why the city's inspector, Russel Dorm, takes his job seriously but the other ones don't.
East Prospect, two weeks ago when you went, did you like it that night? I'm sure you didn't complain then, did you?
Larry LaMotte gave up on his resposibilties and his poor employees now look bad. You have to remember that the article says he moved to Kentucky four years ago-he's been back maybe four times since then. His employees tried to keep the place open, even though they weren't getting paid on a regular basis.
This article is written by somebody who hasn't been in to the restaurant, I'm sure, and is just going by what is written on a report on a piece of paper. The basement of that restaurant was THE BASEMENT and had nothing to do with the restaurant itself. The ice machine that was mentioned wasn't even plugged in. There was never any rodent presence in the restaurant and the "cockroach-like insects" were dead, probably because an exterminator did his job properly. You would be surprised at the number of restaurants you go to that are completely infested with roaches and mice. I think about 10 DEAD ones are better than thousands of live ones.
In closing, the manager who was on duty should not have to comment. I feel Larry LaMotte should be the one to answer to this. He let his building go to shambles. That's what happens when you try to sell a restaurant, but refuse to take care of it while it's still yours.
Amen!!! At least someone can see what those poor employees went through. I saw first hand what they were made to do for that man. He expected them to do it all!! And alot of them did do it, for reasons that I can't explain. Most of those people worked there forever, and they were like a family to each other. He treated them awful. But they stuck in there, to now only hear all of the negative. There was so much positive that came from that place. It has been there forever, and I will truly miss the staff and the regular patrons. I remember the acual bar patrons fixing things in the building because the owner wouldn't pay for it. He was an awful excuse of a person, and now it's his turn to suffer. Stop blaming the employees...They did their best with what they had.
DUH

Waynesboro, PA

#28 Jul 15, 2009
First off dude.....the employees weren't getting paid....I don't care if you own a restaurant or not...or even if you knew people that worked there. That's means nothing. That basement has been closed for 5 years plus....and how can u wipe down mold that is growing in the rafters? AS far as health code scores go they scored a 98 a year ago....SAME EMPLOYEES!!!! Get your facts straight....and further more...there weren't any MGRS....just regular employees doing way more than they should have been doing.....OH and NOT GETTING PAID FOR IT!!!

Alexandria, VA

#29 Jul 16, 2009
city girl wrote:
This is why i havent ate out in 15 yrs.
i can't even READ this one sentence without my mind being filled with all kinds of images of a TRUE "city girl"!!

"This is why i havent ate out ... "?

... That grammar hurts my head just reading it!

York County at its finest!
Jon

Ellicott City, MD

#31 Jul 16, 2009
Remember Mr Bill's, I guess they closed in the early 80's. That seemed to be a fine place to eat.
next

AOL

#33 Jul 17, 2009
I hope the health inspectors visit Railraod cafe soon!
COOKED

York, PA

#34 Jul 17, 2009
Look outside your row home you dope, watch that city dweller in Towson stealing your car.. no worries you'll find it down in the city.. yeah.. Towson pride baby.
robiam wrote:
<quoted text>
i can't even READ this one sentence without my mind being filled with all kinds of images of a TRUE "city girl"!!
"This is why i havent ate out ... "?
... That grammar hurts my head just reading it!
York County at its finest!
73MGB

Street, MD

#35 Jul 17, 2009
What restaurant doesn't have it's problems??? You think Little Italy in Balto doesn't have roaches, mold, even RATS?? Think again!!!! We visited LaMottes at least 1 time a week. Always a good time-good bar food--lots of laughs--friendly place-Never seen any rodents, ants or roaches...of course the occasional bar fly--but wait-sorry-I think they were the bar regulars..--which I guess would include us-Sure hope Larry starts thinking with his head and not his ****, which seems to be what happened since he "fell in love"..Come on Larry, get your act together---you could have a gold mine here in New Freedom---let loose with some of that $$ and get it done!!!! I'm missing my weekly cheeseburger--and let me say, the waitresses & bar tenders were the best!!!!!
Shrewsbury

Waynesboro, PA

#36 Jul 18, 2009
I agree with you....I went every week and met the best people. And most of them were from MD. Every Rest. has their problems, and that one had plenty, but you know what.....Those were some of the best employees I had ever seen!!! I will miss the wait staff especially, they always treated us like gold. So all of you people that have your nasty remarks....you just have nothing better to do than to waste time commenting on YDR....leave those employees alone.....There's only ONE person responsible for that place and that's LARRY LAMOTTE!!!!! Hope your enjoying KY Larry, cause your not welcome back....SCUMBAG!!!
chris is shrewsbury

Harleysville, PA

#37 Jul 19, 2009
I have heard for years about the "best crabcakes". r u kidding? the crabcakes sucked. These crabcakes werent as good as Friendly Farms, and they arent very good either. If you want a good crabcakes, try G&M or Olive Grove near BWI. You cant get good food anywhere here in southern york county.

Alexandria, VA

#38 Jul 20, 2009
COOKED wrote:
Look outside your row home you dope, watch that city dweller in Towson stealing your car.. no worries you'll find it down in the city.. yeah.. Towson pride baby. <quoted text>
i don'T live in a row home and i don't live in Towson ... thats jsut where my ISP provider says i am located ...

YOU DOPE
old local

Philadelphia, PA

#40 Jan 27, 2010
yes its sad to see it go..

But we are glad it did... that place was so bad that its amazing they kept it open as long as they did..

larry let his family and the town down for letting it go like he did. I dont care who you are... if you lost interest in it... sell it before it turns to a pile of shit like it is now... now you will have to knock it down and start over!!

Its now worthless and has a bad reputation!!

New Freedom local

Shrewsbury, PA

#42 Dec 20, 2010
Now that the parking lots have been sold to the developer, it seems as the last nail has been driven into the coffin of this historic landmark. Won't be long before it's a parking lot.
Sal Rosenberg

Hollywood, FL

#44 May 13, 2012
The last time I went there, we waited 10 minutes before we saw our server. Once she came up to us...she said there was some communication error from hostess to her. Ok, no problem.
Once we got our drinks, the busboy was clearing a table next to us when he spilled his tray. Ketchup and soda, food, you name came flying. I was obviously embarrassed. Another waitress brought over a towel. I had been covered in my entire left side with food and soda.
After that--nothing. No manager or comment. We left and never went back.
As previously mentioned by others, this place was also FILTHY. Before 2000, the restaurant was pretty nice. I guess poor management and ownership is to blame for its demise.
Too bad. The original owners took great care of it until their kid took it over.
Sal

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Freedom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Danger in Jim Thorpe? May 19 Midas Touch 4
Old brick building near rail trail in Railroad (Apr '14) May 12 deg17361 2
New Freedom Hobby Shop seeks business grant May 12 deg17361 1
New royal farms store (Sep '14) May 8 Bill 2
News Former cashier charged with assault says racial... (Feb '11) May 7 BillyBobb 150
News Maryland man charged with stabbing man at Stewa... Jan '15 joe 2
News Lawmaker supports new Donora-Webster Bridge (Apr '10) Jan '15 Tom 4
More from around the web

New Freedom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]