New Freedom's LaMotte's Restaurant closed

Full story: York Dispatch

A long-standing, popular New Freedom restaurant noted for its crab cakes remains closed after a July 1 health inspection netted more than 50 violations, but it will take more than a good cleaning to reopen LaMotte's Restaurant, 7 E. Franklin St.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Tom Coble

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

I'm speehless, haven't been there in years but have been wanting to go back. They really did have the best crabcakes...anywhere or ever.
city girl

Newtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

This is why i havent ate out in 15 yrs.
cafecop

Monroe Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

The one and only time I was in LaMotte's, I watched the activity of the cockroaches, spoke to the waitress about it. She was very unconcerned. My concern was, they might be on my coat etc. and come home with me. I was extremely disappointed.
CONCERNED

Hummelstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

We just ate there in the past 2 months and the quality of food wasn't good. The crab cake were not the greatest like they have been in the past and the food was second rate. It is a shame because I really use to enjoy this place..
Semi-literate

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

The only time LaMotts had the county's best crabcakes was way back when no one knew they had the best crabcakes.
East Prospect

Downingtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

We went here about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't like it used to be and now I'm really sorry I went. I'm so grossed out. I can't believe I paid $18 for a crab cake sandwich.
brian d bolton

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

yummy comdemned food.
larry's a cheap scumbag
interesting

Bernville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

if you suckers only knew about half of the restaurants....
Big Dog Daddy

Moorestown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Sorry to see you close Larry, good luck in whatever you decide to go into. I’ve been going to LaMotte’s Restaurant for 35years and can say Larry’s Mom and Dad were the best. God bless you and take.
Soft Shelled

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

I think I'm gonna be sick......"crab cakes"..yeah, right.........
keeping it real

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

just nasty!!!
Big G

New Cumberland, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

Situations like this dont happen over night. Seems more such inspections are needed in ALL restuarants on a more regular basis. Never did eat there, but I always heard good revue of Lamottes.
KAG

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

WOW Thats so unbelievable!!! They are lucky no one has filed a law suit due to illness. Shut them down for good!
anony

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Very sad! They did have excellent crab cakes, I haven't been there recently, thank heavens!

Since: Jul 08

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Semi-literate wrote:
The only time LaMotts had the county's best crabcakes was way back when no one knew they had the best crabcakes.
thats funny ....sad but so true!!

we had our Company Christmas lunch there back in 2003, and most of us got the crabcakes. They smelled SO BADLY of amonia when they were served none of us touched them and sent them ALL back!...

The place was a crap hole!!
mugz

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

my question is how come it went on so long with out being discovered that there were that many things wrong with the place???? i thought health inspections went on more often???
George

Berryville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Semi-literate wrote:
AMEN
cookin nut

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

mugz wrote:
i thought health inspections went on more often???
Unfortunately there are not enough Health Inspectors out there to cover the large number of restaurants. They are lucky to get to a restaurant once a year if that! The only food service operations that get a routine inspection 2 times a year are our schools. It is a federal requirement and also happens due to the large volume of meals that are served at schools on a daily basis. Say an average of 2000 or more lunches a day in any given district,not including breakfast. Now thats alot of food being prepped and served. At least they are looking after where our children are eating making sure things are kosher there. So much for the rest of us and where we eat out at.
Someone Who Cares

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

Everybody wants to know why the health inspectors didn't close it down before. It's because the inspectors who work for the state who do routine checkups don't care about their job and people's safety. Now, the York City health inspectors would have closed it a long time ago. I never understood why the city's inspector, Russel Dorm, takes his job seriously but the other ones don't.
East Prospect, two weeks ago when you went, did you like it that night? I'm sure you didn't complain then, did you?
Larry LaMotte gave up on his resposibilties and his poor employees now look bad. You have to remember that the article says he moved to Kentucky four years ago-he's been back maybe four times since then. His employees tried to keep the place open, even though they weren't getting paid on a regular basis.
This article is written by somebody who hasn't been in to the restaurant, I'm sure, and is just going by what is written on a report on a piece of paper. The basement of that restaurant was THE BASEMENT and had nothing to do with the restaurant itself. The ice machine that was mentioned wasn't even plugged in. There was never any rodent presence in the restaurant and the "cockroach-like insects" were dead, probably because an exterminator did his job properly. You would be surprised at the number of restaurants you go to that are completely infested with roaches and mice. I think about 10 DEAD ones are better than thousands of live ones.
In closing, the manager who was on duty should not have to comment. I feel Larry LaMotte should be the one to answer to this. He let his building go to shambles. That's what happens when you try to sell a restaurant, but refuse to take care of it while it's still yours.
Sue Stine

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Eww - nasty

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New Freedom Discussions

Search the New Freedom Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 1 hr Pa dem 51,241
Quarter auctions' illegality takes people by su... (Dec '10) Apr 13 connie 9
Seiling Furniture Co. Railroad, Pa (Aug '10) Apr 8 David Griffin 19
Potholes to be patched throughout York County t... (Feb '11) Mar 20 John riedel 3
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Mar '14 MaZzie 3,507
Endurance Automotive/Crazy Train Mar '14 Banzo 2
Scott Wagner pegs high cost of March 18 special... Feb '14 Boss Tweed 2
•••

Freeze Watch for York County was issued at April 17 at 8:39AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

New Freedom Jobs

•••
•••
•••