Ringgold shifting students in new pla...

Ringgold shifting students in new plan to replace middle school

There are 155 comments on the O-R Online story from Jun 13, 2012, titled Ringgold shifting students in new plan to replace middle school. In it, O-R Online reports that:

Ringgold School Board announced a new plan Wednesday for the reconfiguration of school buildings to replace the current Ringgold Middle School in Finleyville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at O-R Online.

Gary

United States

#21 Jun 15, 2012
Well I have a couple good ideas. If they could restore some 1930's school buses to go along with the schools we could develop a theme. Maybe charge fees to other districts to tour our museums!!! An old fashioned dress code. We could be the Williamsburg of school districts. Hey if you can't talk sense into them you might as well have a few drinks and jump on the bandwagon. In the end it will be neat having these old schools open again I just do not believe Finley needs to close and that MEC should have been the other elementary center.
CaCat

Pittsburgh, PA

#22 Jun 15, 2012
Henry wrote:
You people really are clueless!! Perhaps we should buy Century III Mall and fix it up while we are at it. I mean if we are going to throw good money after bad what the heck. This polital mess will cost us unimaginable amount of money. I do not believe anyone will be able to afford to live here. Closing a good school is completely nuts.
Yes and open a scotch-tape store.
Kerry

Monongahela, PA

#23 Jun 15, 2012
I know !!! it was nuts to close DEC and MEC. They were GOOD schools. WTF I mean really it was all political then too thats why its called POLITICS. Next time, vote for someone who has your views.
bigdaddy

Irwin, PA

#24 Jun 15, 2012
We all knew this was coming when the "new" board was voted in. What I'm going to say is the BIGGEST problem ever and not just here but all across the USA as well. People do not educate themselves about the candidate before they push the button at the voting booths. They just say oh i know him, or oh he/she's nice or good looking. So they hit their button. If anyone read the paper the day before this board was voted in, it had a voters guide which had a short bio on each candidate and what their intentions were if voted in. It was clearly stated on each candidate of the new board that this is what they wanted to do. Apparently either a majority of our district wanted this to happen, or not enough people made a truly educated vote.
DaDog

Braddock, PA

#25 Jun 15, 2012
CaCat wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and open a scotch-tape store.
...Yes and wrap you up in it so you will shut your foolish mouth.
Gary

United States

#26 Jun 15, 2012
There is a good point. We may be destroyed by our own apathy. BUT in all honesty I do not believe there were options.
some cheese with that

New Kensington, PA

#27 Jun 15, 2012
The school Board was elected by the people who never wanted their tax dollars spent on keeping a building that is not safe enough to stop monitoring. It requires 'preemptive' repairs to insure the columns don't fail. Previous work is working to slow down the moving, but the move places they monitor, the more movement they find. No other building in the district, no other building in the entire county has recommended monitoring for safety and preemptive repairs as part of their buildings' maintenance program.

Even after all the neglect, D.E.C. and M.E.C. only need a portion of the 23 million to restore them, bring them up to code and ADA compliance. The rest will go to the high school to 'preemptively' address the programs that have been ignored there and RESN will be expanded. The modular units, which the people who elected this board did not want, can be moved to the already overcrowded high school as promised.

There has finally, after all these years, after numerous studies, been a decision. Finally this district can stop throwing money at what-ifs and holding its collective breathe waiting to see what may happen We heard you, we saw you silly signs, but sometimes the answer is no. Live with it or leave.
qtlol

Monongahela, PA

#28 Jun 15, 2012
I think this whole situation is funny. Part of RESN was built in the 1920s. Why are people not bitching about that? If there was a question of closing RESN people would be up in arms over the "OLD" school.
NOT OTTS

Belle Vernon, PA

#29 Jun 15, 2012
Yes MEC and DEC are old buildings. SO WHAT??? Do I need to demolish my house and build a new one because it is almost 100 yrs old? Have you ever seen some of the private school they are in old buildings. Just because a building is old doesn't mean it is bad!
some cheese with that

New Kensington, PA

#30 Jun 15, 2012
there were 12 names on that ballot last year...12... three of them were currant board members that wanted a new building. They lost, even the region 3 representative, running for re-election. So much for name recognition.
amazed

Monessen, PA

#31 Jun 15, 2012
Kerry wrote:
do YOU go to every meeting and if so for how long? The problems with Finley go back to the 80s if not before that. I have lived in this district my entire life and I have a very good feel for whats going on. Families come and go in every neighborhood. I am sure the district will survive the loss of a dozen unhappy families. Old families move out, new ones move in, it a part of life. Perhaps the children from the next families will have even higher PSSA scores.
I have lived here all my life and have been going to the meetings since before the 80's.
Kerry

Monongahela, PA

#32 Jun 15, 2012
hmm so you went to the meetings in the 80s , saw first hand the attempts to fix the pyrite problem and the failures of those attempts and you are STILL for keeping that school open? Perhaps you should run for SB next time. You are as stupid as you claim the current school board is. That school should have been closed after the first attempt, we could have saved millions of dollars.
Sick and tired

Monongahela, PA

#33 Jun 15, 2012
Kerry wrote:
hmm so you went to the meetings in the 80s , saw first hand the attempts to fix the pyrite problem and the failures of those attempts and you are STILL for keeping that school open? Perhaps you should run for SB next time. You are as stupid as you claim the current school board is. That school should have been closed after the first attempt, we could have saved millions of dollars.
Right On!

“A Dog's Life is Good”

Since: Feb 11

Mon Valley, Pa.

#36 Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't touch that link with a ten foot pole.
SisterSoulja

Braddock, PA

#37 Jun 16, 2012
The more I read on this whole mess makes it even more worth while that I chose to send my kids to a private school.
Gary

Canton, NC

#38 Jun 17, 2012
NOT OTTS wrote:
Yes MEC and DEC are old buildings. SO WHAT??? Do I need to demolish my house and build a new one because it is almost 100 yrs old? Have you ever seen some of the private school they are in old buildings. Just because a building is old doesn't mean it is bad!
I agree with that only the same goes for Finley. EVEN the emgineers stated it is in the best interest of the district to keep it open since there is nothing wrong with it. BUT ourbpard saw fit to close it and spend ober thirty million on the other buildings. How can you explain paying people to evaluate your buildimg and then not listen to them?
so tired of this mess

Monongahela, PA

#39 Jun 17, 2012
Gary, I am not sure if you attend meeting or not but I hope you realize that Finley needs to have the pyrite removed if it can ever be considered truly safe. That would cost about 5 million. THEN it needs all the stuff done to it that DEC and MEC do. It needs new HVAC, plumbing and so forth. It needs asbestos abatement also.
so tired of this mess

Monongahela, PA

#40 Jun 17, 2012
I think the SB should post exactly how much money has been spent since they started monitoring Finley, just to keep it "safe". How much was spent in 2009 to give it a few more years. They knew then that this school was not going to last. The former school board president stated it many time, on recored too, I might add. Lets not pretend this is some sudden decision. They have been figuring out what to do with this situation for several years.
so tired of this mess

Monongahela, PA

#41 Jun 17, 2012
Also not sure if you were at the meeting where HHSDR told the board that DEC was in the best shape of all three building. RIGNT NOW without work done. Then MEC then Finley.
Kerry

Monongahela, PA

#42 Jun 17, 2012
I was at that meeting and it made me wonder why that building was closed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Eagle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should chickens be allowed to roost in Monongah... Sun beefeater 3
Abortion should be punished Jun 25 tired of you babi... 2
She's a BITCH Jun 25 tired of you babi... 2
News Charleroi schools obtain grants, check water qu... Jun 15 Dime Droppers Inc 2
Write Your State Representative to BAN Loud Mot... (May '11) Jun 15 ThisIsMe 116
Code enforcer in monongahela !! (Aug '13) May '16 Ch33securls 20
Cruz Delegates must be removed Vote Trump May '16 Filthy swit 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Eagle Mortgages