A dog for New Durham Fire Dept?

Posted in the New Durham Forum

New Durham

Portsmouth, NH

#1 Feb 21, 2007
Recently I noticed that the New Durham Fire Chief seems to be driving around with a dog in the back seat of the command vehicle. Is the town aware that he is doing this and will the selectmen take responsibility if the unrestrained canine were to injure/bite somebody? The FD command vehicle is not equipped to handle a canine like the police vehicle is, and there is no marking on the FD car warning people that a canine is inside.

Is New Durham just looking for a lawsuit?
Get a life

Portsmouth, NH

#2 Feb 23, 2007
The dogs name is Nellie....I'm willing to bet that you are more dangerous than she is. I've had the great fortune of meeting her several times and even approched the vehicle to pet her and she has always been very happy, friendly and loving....which is the nature of a well bred yellow lab. Seems to me you could find something better to do with your time than trying to start trouble where none exists.
Carl Johns - Barnstead

Dover, NH

#3 Feb 27, 2007
Right on "get a life" Charles Bronson like with a bit of class!
Can everyone

Portsmouth, NH

#4 Apr 3, 2007
Just wondering if everyone on the town crew, police department, anyone with a New Durham owned vehicle, can bring thier dogs with them? Fare is fare. Nevermind the warning, who is responsible for cleaning the "command" vehicle???
New Durham

Portsmouth, NH

#5 Apr 4, 2007
Of course nobody else is allowed to use a town vehicle like this. Having the dog in the vehicle it appears also means that it can not be used to transport additional personnel to a scene as the dog has 'first dibs' on the back seat. Is this what the taxpayers of New Durham expected when they spent around $40,000?

The fire chief also seems to use the command vehicle to do his grocery shopping and the car is frequently seen at the general store with the motor running for 10-20 minutes while he is inside getting something. Guess who gets the fuel bill?
Sam Smith

Concord, NH

#6 May 4, 2007
If the town choses this guy to run that volunteer group of so called firefighters, then it's their business, they get what they pay for.
New Durham

Portsmouth, NH

#7 May 19, 2007
What Do You Mean by "So called Fire Fighters".

Under the new chief the department has gone from 9 to over 30 volunteers.
With several State Certified Fire Instructors and 2 Paramedics. The List of EMTs and Certified Fire Fighters has grown drastically. There was a first responder class put on at the New Durham Fire department just this past winter and about 18 members from the New Durham Fire Department attended the class along with members from other departments. There will be an EMT bridge course at the New Durham Fire Department coming up shortly which many that took the First responder class will be taking. There will also be a Fire Fighter Level One Course at the New Durham Fire Department Starting this fall.

I think the volunteers DESERVE to be called what they are.“FIRE FIGHTERS”

And say what you want about the new Chief, but as far as the record shows he is getting the job done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Durham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stacey Burns murder case "an ongoing investigat... (Apr '10) Jan 28 jim 362
Debate: Marijuana - Wolfeboro, NH (Dec '10) Jan 28 Amd 46
some of the really stupid things Wolfeboro NH d... Jan 27 skb 2
Prostitution, drug case moves to superior court (Mar '14) Jan 24 whitshade 4
Stacey Burns Vittum Interview (May '14) Jan 24 jim 23
Another year has passed Jan 19 mally43 1
Breaking News: Duffel bag may be related to sla... (Jun '12) Jan 18 jim 5

Winter Storm Warning for Strafford County was issued at February 01 at 3:32AM EST

New Durham News Video

New Durham Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New Durham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:45 am PST