Fire destroys Alton Bay landmark

Full story: The Union Leader

A four-alarm fire destroyed the historic Bay View Pavilion on Lake Winnipesaukee this morning.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Erin Morris

Panama City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2006

I skated in that rink when I was a child. My grandparents have a cottage on the top of the hill that overlooks that old building. It has been sad to watch the changes over the years. It is depressing even still to think that the original building is now destroyed.
Wendy Whitney

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2006

"Ma Whitney" or Nana as we used to call her and her three children are surely looking down upon this tragedy with tears in their eyes!
Bob Marley

Randolph, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2006

Over the years something is always burnt down ,another suspicuos situation Alton BAy inn the oak birch inncome on now!!!
AB Scott

Victorville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2006

Wendy Whitney wrote:
"Ma Whitney" or Nana as we used to call her and her three children are surely looking down upon this tragedy with tears in their eyes!
I used to write to Nana when she would winter in Ft. Lauderdale! She let me "work" at the rink playing the skating games when her grandson wasn't there, but one day I worked because we were leaving to go home the next day. She was so kind! This is a sad tragedy, but no fire can take away the memories of a family that made that rink be what we remember it as today!
AB Scott

Victorville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2006

Erin Morris wrote:
I skated in that rink when I was a child. My grandparents have a cottage on the top of the hill that overlooks that old building. It has been sad to watch the changes over the years. It is depressing even still to think that the original building is now destroyed.
That building survived many fires through the years that happened up on top of the hill even! Remember the observation area in the rink where people came and watched we kids skate? There were no smoking signs there, and even Jack Whitney went outside his skate rental area to smoke. Is he still living? I saw him a couple of years ago and he was having some struggles with his health. That family won't ever be forgotten.
Wendy Whitney

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2006

All three of the Whitney children have now passed over along with "Ma Whitney and Grampy" - Bill, Lois Whitney Shorrock and Jack. We miss them as we will miss the "Rink"
Jan Schwarz Denver CO

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2006

What a shame! I skated in that rink with my brother and sister when we were kids. My grandparents owned a house on the hill above the lake and my parents honeymooned in that house. We used to vacation on Alton Bay and stay in one of the cottages that overlook the skating rink. I have fond memories of the rink and it is really sad that it is gone.
Jeff Manning

Amherst, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2006

I spent many a summer in my youth spending nights at the rink...I will miss that place greatly
Kristen Knudsen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2006

Pieces of our childhood keep disappearing....so sad to hear the news
Kristen Knudsen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2006

comment #2....Hello Everyone...remember always hanging round our cars under the oaks in front of the rink???? Jimmy Jordan - Joey Whitehouse - Donny Carr - Rick Finethy - Hope all is well...Kristen
kristen@artsmojo.com
Bob Fitzpatrick

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Wendy Whitney wrote:
My Mom is Barbra Bricket Ethel daughter do you remember her??
Bob Fitzpatrick

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Wendy Whitney wrote:
All three of the Whitney children have now passed over along with "Ma Whitney and Grampy" - Bill, Lois Whitney Shorrock and Jack. We miss them as we will miss the "Rink"
Yes I do remember them Bill Louis and Jack I love boats when I was young bill had one and Jack had an old Chris Craft and I think he sold Chris Craft Boats.
Bob Fitzpatrick

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Wendy I also got Skippy Old Boat the Aristo Craft it was re and white remember that boat? that Skippy got from Ester Whitney she got it after a water skie show in Florida??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New Durham Discussions

Search the New Durham Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Stacey Burns Vittum Interview 13 hr Confused 11
piping rock resort 680 n main street (Dec '11) Jul 16 Eyes were there 11
Debate: Drinking Age - Center Barnstead, NH (Dec '11) Jul 2 Savannah 5
Daughter of ex-Wolfeboro official who uttered '... Jun 30 ryan kelly 3
Stacey Burns murder case "an ongoing investigat... (Apr '10) Jun '14 Concerned 320
animal abuse Jun '14 rita davis 1
How We Talk About Race In N.H. Jun '14 Jay Walters 2
•••
•••

New Durham News Video

•••
•••

New Durham Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••