Traffic alert: I-83 closed just north of York County line

There are 2 comments on the Jun 3, 2010, InYork story titled Traffic alert: I-83 closed just north of York County line. In it, InYork reports that:

A tractor-trailer crash on Interstate 83 northbound -- just north of the York County line -- has stopped traffic in both directions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at InYork.

Keith Stones

York, PA

#1 Jun 3, 2010
Stupid trucker
Adam D Edwards

Camp Hill, PA

#2 Jun 4, 2010
This is a very dangerous stretch of road which is often complicated by heavy tractor trailer usage. Drivers need to be aware that tractor trailers are massive and ten times the weight or more of their own vehicle. I observe unsafe and poor driving etiquette towards tractor trailers on a daily basis. If drivers dart around a tractor trailer at speed and the tractor trailer driver has a hard time seeing a vehicle within his mirrors this causes accidents. Perhaps checking to make sure that there is an actual human being inside the cab of the truck as drivers try and speed around this 18 wheeled 50,000 pound obstacle would help. I drive as aggressively as others on the highway, but when approaching a tractor trailer I make sure I can see the driver in his mirrors, and rather than dart around him and potentially cut him off, I try to observe his path and make sure its clear for not only myself, but also for everyone around me. You'd be surprised at how rare that is and how much respect is shown by tractor trailer drivers for not cutting them off. Simply communicating with a wave to their drivers side mirror as you get ready to pass or a headlight flash that lets them know that they can get over if they need to can go very far in adding safety to our roads.
I saw this accident scene as I traveled south that afternoon. The debris littered the road for half a mile. A Chrysler minivan looked as if it had been put into a car crusher. A Volvo sedan was also crushed badly. An emergency helicopter was used to transport one or more of the accident victims to nearby emergency facilities. Traffic was stopped for several miles.
I snapped a photo with my iPhone as I drove by at a crawl. I also immediately warned my social network fans, friends, family via facebook with a quick post concerning the location.
I am not a tractor trailer driver, but I have known a few in my lifetime, and their stories of how stupid decisions are made by drivers of smaller vehicles have scared me into respecting this larger, but fellow traveler on the highways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Cumberland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Private Stock meat company (Oct '11) Apr 25 Well informed 41
News Timothy Mercer Retires with 27 Years of Service... Apr 23 Suz 13
my friend (Jan '14) Apr 20 lady 140
News Social Security disability approvals decline (Dec '13) Apr 19 Not a moocher 90
News Barbara A. Nearhood Nov '14 Ashley Harvey 1
Michael Torz (May '14) May '14 Opportunity awaits 1
News Last reel: Theaters from Gettysburg to Annville... (May '13) May '13 Colorado Chick 1
More from around the web

New Cumberland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]