York Split plans could help local commuters

Full story: The York Daily Record

Residents including Floyd Carey, left, and Jim McLaughlin, both of Lemoyne, study a map outlining PennDOT's plans to reduce congestion at the Interstate 83/Route 581 interchange at Red Land High School Wednesday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Eddie

Manchester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

They want to add a lane from the New Cumberland Exit to the split? That isn't gonna change a damn thing! Penndot obviously hasn't done their homework. Penndot says "traffic on 83 Northbound often backs up to the PA turnpike"... try Resser's Summit!! Heck, it backs up to Newberrytown at least once a week! If they want to do it, do it RIGHT. put in another lane from at least the Turnpike all the way up to the split. I bet in 5 years even that would be insufficient. I laugh when I drive to Hbg in the mornings and see the Penndot digital signs that read "Danger Congestions Ahead" They should be moved 5 miles back! lol
pole cat

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Perhaps Penn-Douche could outsource this job to the local kindergarten
Long over due

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

This project is long overdue and the changes will likely only lead to a faster building/backlog that is experienced at the 13th street bottleneck on 83 NB. The entire I-83 corridor from Queen Street in York to I81 is extremely dangerous and the design is outdated. We are reaping the poor designing from the 50's - no turning lanes on the exit ramps, exit ramps that serve both as an accelerator and de-accelerator lanes, no buffer between NB and SB traffic (did you every experience a pebble coming at you from the other side of the highway?), etc. This project is noteworthy, but just another band aid on this poorly designed and outdated highway system.
Pete Vitalis

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

1970's design for 2011 traffic...hooray for PennsyltuckyDot. They need to see Mr. Webster's definition of improvement. Perhaps they can borrow some design brilliance from the PennDot/local mental giants who brainstormed the upgrade we got here in York on the Leader Heights interchange, and the sparkling clustrf*#k they call the Route 30 improvement. Add a lane or two, and it's all good...not. Here's the upside, if there is one - it's 4 years away!
FrustratedDriver

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Hey, nice mullet there, Floyd!

You know, while they're at it, they should just re-pave the whole stretch of 83. The whole road has gone to hell. At least fill the damn potholes, although I know they do that by just throwing some blobs of tar and never even flattening it down. More and more I want to move outta this state..
Jimmy Snooka

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Someone else mentioned it, but all this is going to do is shift the backlog from the 83 split to across the bridge where 83 goes from three lanes to two.
So now instead of just having 83 backed up, 581 will be backed up as well.
Retiring

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

I live in York and had a job in Camp Hill for 17 looooong years of sitting in the traffic at the split (remember the cattle chutes?).. there was always talk of an extra lane that never came.. by the time this is completed, I will be a couple years from retirement.. a little too late PennDouche.. I now have a 10 min commute to southern york county .. I don't miss that cluster at all. The electronic boards telling you it's congested everyday is classic waste of $$$.
Digger Nick

New Freedom, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

I wouldn't get in no car with neither one of them gaybos in the picture. I don't think they from Lemoyne. The big one looks like "Lower" Allen and the little guy is probably from "Upper" Darby to me.
Late Due to Traffic

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Eddie wrote:
They want to add a lane from the New Cumberland Exit to the split? That isn't gonna change a damn thing! Penndot obviously hasn't done their homework. Penndot says "traffic on 83 Northbound often backs up to the PA turnpike"... try Resser's Summit!! Heck, it backs up to Newberrytown at least once a week! If they want to do it, do it RIGHT. put in another lane from at least the Turnpike all the way up to the split. I bet in 5 years even that would be insufficient. I laugh when I drive to Hbg in the mornings and see the Penndot digital signs that read "Danger Congestions Ahead" They should be moved 5 miles back! lol
I agree. I think they're going to need some continuity there so as you're traveling on 83 North you don't have to merge into the traffic coming off 581. They need to add another lane so 83 North has its own lane parallel to 581 so traffic coming off the interchange can keep moving. So basically they should extend the lane from the Highland Park exit to form a completely new lane on 83 North.

And people are going to complain about traffic jams from road construction but a little traffic jamming now is better than a lifetime of rush hour traffic jams in the future!
whatever

Ephrata, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

longer exit ramps needed, everyone else is right its just gonna back up anyway with them still not doing anything at 13th st. Maybe they should take some hints from the long exit ramps and smooth roads of 83 in maryland

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Air Quality Alert for Cumberland County was issued at July 11 at 3:30PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

New Cumberland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New Cumberland People Search