Short-term fix for York Split could b...

Short-term fix for York Split could be coming

There are 8 comments on the The York Daily Record story from May 21, 2010, titled Short-term fix for York Split could be coming. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Another northbound lane may be added in a few years to the Interstate 83/Route 581 interchange to relieve the bottleneck that causes a 2-mile backlog in the mornings at what's known as the York Split.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

PennDot is Slow

Cherry Hill, NJ

#1 May 21, 2010
WOW lets spend 28 million to fix something that will need to be redone before it is even started. An immediate fix is not 3 to 4 years away. It would be now.
What type of crack is Penn Dot smoking because they need to share. They are the lazies bunch of worthless a$$holes I have ever seen.
RealityCheck

Manassas, VA

#2 May 21, 2010
Unless they eliminate the north bound entry ramp to I-83 at Cedar Cliff it is a was of time and money
sakbut

Charlotte, NC

#3 May 21, 2010
This should have been fixed 50 years ago when the split was created.
Just_Me

United States

#4 May 21, 2010
From The Article wrote:
"PennDOT officials knew it would take years to reach the I-83/Route 581 interchange"
Yeah... It seems about that long to everyone who drives toward that interchange each day.

Seriously though, if they can prevent the last minute lane changes by those who ABSOLUTELY MUST get ahead of another car before getting in the right lane NB at the split, there might be fewer sudden stops and traffic waves.
heh

Philadelphia, PA

#5 May 21, 2010
a cattle chute lane divider starting a mile before the split would insure proper flow through the split.
wtf

Jersey Shore, PA

#6 May 21, 2010
A properly placed bullet between the eyes of the idiot sitting in the left lane, backing up traffic would do wonders! They would not be there the next day to do the same thing again, in a few months traffic would be flowing smoothly!
THEY be tryin

York, PA

#7 May 21, 2010
Calm down folks! YOU poor souls will be retired, the same as I, before this project is properly corrected!
The TOTAL consultation/survey/study FEES that will be spent in the NEXT 10 YEARS could easily pay for the project IF they began it IMMEDIATELY! Just a bit more study and PennDOT will get 'er rollin'! Hang in there a wee-bit longer.
laughinggirl

New Cumberland, PA

#8 May 22, 2010
Have to agree with all of the above - too little and WAY too late. And I can't even imagine the nightmare that will occur WHILE this temporary 'immediate fix' is being constructed!! If we have to go through that upheaval, why not just do it right in the first place, instead of a patch now and a (empty) promise for later? It's not like this hasn't been needed for the last half-century or anything...but why rush?
Here's my thing - I am searching for a new job, and sadly have had to restrict that search to available employment that does NOT require travelling any part of this stretch of highway (kind of tough since I live not far from there). The safety issues, stress, frustration and roadrage that accompany every rush hour sojourn through this bottleneck are not worth it to me due to the toll it takes on my physical and mental health. I made that trip daily for 3 years, and I'm sure many others have endured this for much longer. My nerves are shot and no one can pay me enough to make me willing to undergo this torture ever again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Cumberland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
voteTrump May 17 der 7
News Windish or Slovenian? Another side of the story... (Jul '07) May 15 Tara Zrinski 33
Lying Donald Trump May 14 Colonel Pale Rider 10
Old Lemoyne video May 13 Cindyk 1
Public Official Double Dipping? May 13 anonymous 2
News What's the best way to help an elderly dog? (May '09) May 11 Zeke the Pinhead 19
News Push continues for distracted driving bill May 11 Zeke the Pinhead 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Cumberland Mortgages