Mosque near ground zero divides Sept....

Mosque near ground zero divides Sept. 11 relatives

There are 97 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 20, 2010, titled Mosque near ground zero divides Sept. 11 relatives. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Talat Hamdani traveled to Mecca to pray that her missing son, an EMT, was safe in the days after 9/11. She held out hope that his Muslim background had led to his detention as a suspect, considering it better than the alternative.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

YBF

Maple Grove, MN

#22 Aug 20, 2010
Javier wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not an American. You may have citizenship, but you are NOT American. And your argument is invalid. Christians didn't hijack planes and crash them killing over 3000 people. Muslims did.
America did not gain its freedom by taking a lot of crap from other countries, and our freedom of religion does NOT mean we tolerate ALL religions, especially those whose basic tenets are anti-American. America does not have to welcome islam. As Americans, we have the right to say no, and we have the RIGHT to be prejudiced against ANY religion, especially those that inherently HATE us!!!
Good day, treasonist.
I simply asked a question that shows that this issue is complex. My post seems to have struck a nerve. Sub-consciously you know there's some truth in what I said.
Jen

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Aug 20, 2010
If some radical Christians blew up a few city blocks to destroy a mosque in the name of Jesus, I would hope that all Christian organizations would have the wisdom/sense/compassion to not build any churches there.

Build a mosque. Build a great big mosque with a community center and a theater and a pool... just do it a little farther away. Distance yourselves from the World Trade Center to distance yourselves from the extremists who destroyed it.
Buck Nasty

Maple Grove, MN

#24 Aug 20, 2010
Javier wrote:
<quoted text>
This issue should be put on a ballot like any other land use permit issue. People, not government should decide. Freedom of religion, despite what many of you think, does not give any religion the right to build anywhere it wants to.
Let the people of America decide on this with a vote. Put it on the ballot!
Would you put question to vote if you thought that most people would vote it down? This is not an issue of democracy. It is an issue of perpetrating prejudice.
kevin

Millington, MI

#25 Aug 20, 2010
View this video for insight into this debate

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/06/pat-condell...

Since: Mar 10

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Aug 20, 2010
Truth wrote:
70% of Americans think it is a bad idea to build this mosque.
70% can be wrong. Are wrong. There is a Bill of Rights in the U.S. Constitution that protects the 30% from the 70%, and protects the 70% as well.

Massteria. A word coined in the Music Man. Massteria has been responsible for lynchings, blackballings, fire-bombings, concentration-camp buildings, imprisonments, torturing, invasions, and murders. Only after the fact do we consider and rue the prospect that we went too far.

The time to stop the madness is before it begins. If not then, before it snowballs.

What is fueling this reaction is fear, hatred, an assumption of privilege, and the need to control. It's time to stop the madness.

Since: Jun 09

Olathe, KS

#27 Aug 20, 2010
The public even rallies and sometimes succeeds in keeping something as simple as a Walmart or children's home out of a neighborhood. People have the right to express their opinions. I think it should go to a vote.

Also, it sounds like the construction unions are banding together to refuse to build it.

If it is causing this much trouble why wouldn't you just move it in the interest of sensitivity? Unless of course, you do intend it to be a declaration of victory as has been alleged. The pieces all point that way. The proposed opening date. The name. The man who is organizing the whole thing refusing to acknowledge Hamas as a terror organization. His view that the US caused 9/11.

I guess I have always found that things that walk, sound and look like ducks are generally ducks.

Since: Mar 10

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Aug 20, 2010
Javier wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not an American. You may have citizenship, but you are NOT American. And your argument is invalid. Christians didn't hijack planes and crash them killing over 3000 people. Muslims did.
America did not gain its freedom by taking a lot of crap from other countries, and our freedom of religion does NOT mean we tolerate ALL religions, especially those whose basic tenets are anti-American. America does not have to welcome islam. As Americans, we have the right to say no, and we have the RIGHT to be prejudiced against ANY religion, especially those that inherently HATE us!!!
Good day, treasonist.
So javier, I am going to deduce from the strong logic and grip of reality evidenced in your post that the boys round the latrine have elected you the Arbiter of Citizenship.

Well, you're fired! You are fired but as the Arbiter of Citizenship and as an American citizen because you have not clue one of what your nation's constitution means. You have the right to be prejudiced. True. If you want to carry that iron cross, that's your choice. You have the right to say no. I guess that's covered both by the second amendment and the laws of stupidity. But all religions must be tolerated by the state. The state can outlaw deeds, but no creeds. And I guess, that's where your prejudices and hates come in. The law cannot ban you from being prejudiced but it can bar you from acting upon those prejudices when it violates someone else's civil rights. Banning the building of the mosque or religious reasonsis a restrictive act, ie, unconstitutional, ie, illegal.

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

#30 Aug 20, 2010
Jen wrote:
If some radical Christians blew up a few city blocks to destroy a mosque in the name of Jesus, I would hope that all Christian organizations would have the wisdom/sense/compassion to not build any churches there.
Build a mosque. Build a great big mosque with a community center and a theater and a pool... just do it a little farther away. Distance yourselves from the World Trade Center to distance yourselves from the extremists who destroyed it.
How far away would be far enough away?
upset

Zimmerman, MN

#32 Aug 20, 2010
The term Islamic extremist is use, does that mean that this is the teachings of this religion? my religion does not encourage or condone violence.I am a christian. The muslim religion has no place in a Christian world,although the christians will forgive they should never forget.
Jen

Minneapolis, MN

#34 Aug 20, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
<quoted text>
How far away would be far enough away?
I don't know how far is enough, I just think that 2 blocks is too close. I don't have all the answers, but I know what I would try to do in a similar situation.

Since: Mar 10

Saint Paul, MN

#35 Aug 20, 2010
upset wrote:
The term Islamic extremist is use, does that mean that this is the teachings of this religion? my religion does not encourage or condone violence.I am a christian. The muslim religion has no place in a Christian world,although the christians will forgive they should never forget.
The word muslim extremist is a term coined by westerners. I doubt if such a term --in English or Arabic-- would be found in the Koran.

Since you've made a point, I would like to ask "Does the Christian religion have any place in a muslim world?"

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

#36 Aug 20, 2010
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how far is enough, I just think that 2 blocks is too close. I don't have all the answers, but I know what I would try to do in a similar situation.
Why would 2 blocks be too close?
The neighborhood already has a substantial Muslim population, and the site is close to the Mosque where Rauf has a congregation, it is not visible from Ground Zero, it is full of retail establishments, including OTB parlors, a McDonald's, lingerie shops, porn shops, bars - what is so "sacred" about the site?
SCjams

Society Hill, SC

#37 Aug 20, 2010
All this gabbing about how Christians have committed violence in the past, and how the muslims have a legal right to build this mosque are, quite frankly, irrevelant. Anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together knows that this mosque has absoulutely nothing to do with religious freedom. It is intended to be nothing more than a victory monument to the atrocities committed by the 9/11 terrorist thug punks. If the imam and others behind this actually build it, don't come crying to anyone when it gets bombed.
Javier

Minneapolis, MN

#38 Aug 20, 2010
roots152 wrote:
<quoted text>
For the uneducated, directly from our Constitution's First Ammendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." So actually the Constitution makes it very clear that the religion does not matter. Christians have just as many atrocities in the history books as Muslims. In fact, probably more and with a higher body count. Examples being the Crusades, World Wars I and II, the attempted extermination of native peoples in North and South America, all in the name of Christianity and most of those orders came directly from church leadership. Every religious/ethnic group has faced persecution as they came to this country. Germans, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Italians, all of them hated by the people that were already "Americans." I put the word Americans in quotations because it is people like you that send the message that America is intolerant. I will welcome anyone that comes here to work hard and make a life for themselves. That doesn't mean terrorists, but to me that means we should boot out Christian or atheist terrorists also. Islam does not inherently hate us. A few crazy people use isolated parts of the Koran to explain their lunacy, much like crazy Christians use the Bible to validate their lunacy. American freedom was won not because we refused to take crap from anyone, that's just how the revolution started. It was won because the first Americans refused to be scared of the people, the British, that they were told to fear. Right now, you are listening to a few crackpots that are telling you to be scared of Muslims. With you, it has been effective because the fear in your ranting is evident. Your fear is doing more to bolster the success of terrorists than any building ever could.
Your idiotic rant just proved my point. Where in the constitution does it say that government must allow religions to put up places of worship wherever they want? Where in the constitution does it say Americans must be tolerant of all religions? You are a fu--ing IDIOT!!

Don't ever bother responding to my posts, as you are too f---king stupid to understand what you read anyway, moron!!!!

We AMERICANS have the right to stand up against islam and reject it! We are NOT afraid of islam, but are afraid of the leaders of our country who lend it credence and give them more than they deserve. Its IDIOTS like you who live in fear of Christianity and the possibility it will cause you harm in some way. YOU are what it wrong with America and its leadership.

I saw the towers fall, and I saw muslims dance in the streets!!! They all may not be terrorists, but they ALL hate our country! And YOUR ignorance will allow them to bring more death and destruction to our country. YOU should be imprisoned for TREASON, and suffer whatever penalties that come with it.
Traveler

Minneapolis, MN

#39 Aug 20, 2010
One-it's not a mosque. Two-anyone who bothers to actually get the facts knows that there's already a mosque that is *closer* to the site than where this is being built. Three-if you think that the Christian Bible doesn't preach violence, then you are clearly yet another person who pays lip service to their supposed religion and yet doesn't have the first clue what it's actual teachings are.

You don't get to call yourself a good, true Christian and then preach intolerance in the same breath. Declare yourself a bigot like Javier, or actually live your supposed faith.
Jen

Minneapolis, MN

#41 Aug 20, 2010
upset wrote:
The term Islamic extremist is use, does that mean that this is the teachings of this religion? my religion does not encourage or condone violence.I am a christian. The muslim religion has no place in a Christian world,although the christians will forgive they should never forget.
Is there a term (in any language) to designate someone who invokes the words of a particular holy book to incite war?
BUG

Stillwater, MN

#42 Aug 20, 2010
Eva ichkhanian wrote:
this civic center that they want to build, which will include a worship house, is next to a couple of strip clubs...do people that object the the civic center also object to the strip clubs being 2 blocks away from ground zero. Because if you are using the "sacred ground" arguement, then there should not be any stripclubs either.
Or is this just another way to discriminate against people who are "different"
This comparison would work if they were going to build a strip club there, you tool
Jen

Minneapolis, MN

#43 Aug 20, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
Why would 2 blocks be too close?
The neighborhood already has a substantial Muslim population, and the site is close to the Mosque where Rauf has a congregation, it is not visible from Ground Zero, it is full of retail establishments, including OTB parlors, a McDonald's, lingerie shops, porn shops, bars - what is so "sacred" about the site?
I never said it was "sacred." I firmly believe in their right to build wherever they choose, I just feel that they could have chosen a different location. And looking at a map, it would appear that the planned center is much closer to Ground Zero, than it is to the current mosque it will be serving. How different might the reactions be if headlines read "new center to be built two blocks from existing mosque"
BUG

Stillwater, MN

#44 Aug 20, 2010
Traveler wrote:
One-it's not a mosque. Two-anyone who bothers to actually get the facts knows that there's already a mosque that is *closer* to the site than where this is being built. Three-if you think that the Christian Bible doesn't preach violence, then you are clearly yet another person who pays lip service to their supposed religion and yet doesn't have the first clue what it's actual teachings are.
You don't get to call yourself a good, true Christian and then preach intolerance in the same breath. Declare yourself a bigot like Javier, or actually live your supposed faith.
If you say people that are against the building of this new mosque are intolerant and biggots, wouldn't thier be some sort of uproar and boycotting of said mosque that is already there? Wouldn't the big bad intolerant, racist, biggot americans be mad about the mosque that you say is already close to the ground zero site? NO we wouldnt because it has nothing to do with racism, intolerance, or biggotry...It has to do with respect, and common sense. Morons like you cannot seperate the two things
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#45 Aug 20, 2010
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how far is enough, I just think that 2 blocks is too close. I don't have all the answers, but I know what I would try to do in a similar situation.
You must be really freaked out about the Mosque located INSIDE the Pentagon...another 9/11 target.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Carolyn V Minter Law Offices (Jun '09) May 22 CARLOS 13
Landmark Diner raided by Marshalls for illegal ... (Apr '16) May 21 Threwup 2
Avoid this ossining body shop (Mar '17) May 21 Martoneclipmetoo 2
Review: Klever's Auto Repair (Nov '15) May 21 Exposer 3
st. joseph's home entrance (Feb '11) May 20 Voice Of The 8A-s 6
more of the boys 1950-1953 (Nov '10) May 15 thepachecos212 3
The Pool July 11, 1948 (Jul '12) May 13 mycole 6

New City Jobs

Personal Finance

New City Mortgages