Mosque near ground zero divides Sept. 11 relatives

Full story: TwinCities.com

Talat Hamdani traveled to Mecca to pray that her missing son, an EMT, was safe in the days after 9/11. She held out hope that his Muslim background had led to his detention as a suspect, considering it better than the alternative.
Comments
1 - 20 of 97 Comments Last updated Sep 3, 2010
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Truth

Burnsville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

5

2

2

70% of Americans think it is a bad idea to build this mosque.
citylights

Delano, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Point: Almost all terrorists are Muslim, but not all Muslims terrorists. Islam does not mix with other religions and I don't want their mosques here and especially at the 9-11 site. Intolerant of Muslims? Yes and I am glad to own it.
Eva ichkhanian

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

8

5

3

this civic center that they want to build, which will include a worship house, is next to a couple of strip clubs...do people that object the the civic center also object to the strip clubs being 2 blocks away from ground zero. Because if you are using the "sacred ground" arguement, then there should not be any stripclubs either.
Or is this just another way to discriminate against people who are "different"
YBF

Maple Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I would like to propose a question: As I listened to a story about a bomber who blew himself up earlier this week, killing 60+ young men at a military recruiting station in Iraq, I had a chilling revelation. It is only a matter of time before these type things start happening in our country. It would not be very hard for some idiot to take or group of idiots to acquire explosives, strap a bomb on, and blow up a mall, restaurant, or any other public place. For the record, I agree that this Muslim group should be able to build a mosque near the WTC if they want. I say this because if a group claiming to be Christian perpetrated a deadly terrorist act like 9/11 most Americans would not object if a Christian church wanted to build near the site of the act. They would not object because Americans and Christians would distinguish between the bastardized and true teachings of Christ. Having said that, I understand that people are afraid and don't want another terrorist attack on our soil. Since we can't throw a group of people or a whole religion out of our country, how do we protect our country while being true to America and what we stand for?
YBF

Maple Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

citylights wrote:
Point: Almost all terrorists are Muslim, but not all Muslims terrorists. Islam does not mix with other religions and I don't want their mosques here and especially at the 9-11 site. Intolerant of Muslims? Yes and I am glad to own it.
Although I disagree with you, I appreciate your honesty. As a country, we could solve a lot more problems and progress if more people were honest about their prejudices.
YBF

Maple Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Truth wrote:
70% of Americans think it is a bad idea to build this mosque.
But, does the fact that the vast majority of Americans believe this make it right? 50 years ago most Americans did not believe Blacks should have the right to vote.
LBJ

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

There is no division on the subject that building this mosque there is an absurdly insensitive affront to decent people everywhere, and at worst a horrible, vile, permanent shrine to violence and an insult to anyone who says they want to heal wounds and forgive. It would be like letting the KKK build a monument to Hitler on the ashes of Auschwitz. If Islam is a religion of peace, what peace loving Muslim would ever wish to inflict such an insult so close the the place where 3000 Americans were killed in the name of Allah. Liberals are always carping about how insensitive conservatives are when it comes to non-western culture and religion, so how about donning your sensitivity policeman's hat now and mete out some equal sensitivity justice and the other guys for a change?
DWW

Manorville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

They want to call it "Cordoba House"... as in Cordoba Spain. You want to guess who the Muslims conquered there in 900 AD? yes it was the Christians... If that's not trying to put up a victory flag nothing else is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B3rdoba,_Sp...
Amerika

Glen Rock, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

3 Reasons the “Ground Zero Mosque” Debate Makes No Sense

http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reasons-the-gro...
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

5

2

2

Eva ichkhanian wrote:
this civic center that they want to build, which will include a worship house, is next to a couple of strip clubs...do people that object the the civic center also object to the strip clubs being 2 blocks away from ground zero. Because if you are using the "sacred ground" arguement, then there should not be any stripclubs either.
Or is this just another way to discriminate against people who are "different"
Your argument doesn't make sense. If a bunch of strippers hijacked some airliners and crashed them and killed thousands I'd be opposed to a strip club at that location too.
The Solution

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Steps to the Solution:

1. Build HUGE mosque

2. Fill to gills with muslims

3. Fly planes into it

4. Repeat
east sider

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Could this be a manufactured distraction to take our eyes off the continued loss of jobs and Iran's going nuclear? Terrible, dangerous things are happening here and abroad and it seems like the current administration can't handle them.
Javier

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

1

YBF wrote:
I would like to propose a question: As I listened to a story about a bomber who blew himself up earlier this week, killing 60+ young men at a military recruiting station in Iraq, I had a chilling revelation. It is only a matter of time before these type things start happening in our country. It would not be very hard for some idiot to take or group of idiots to acquire explosives, strap a bomb on, and blow up a mall, restaurant, or any other public place. For the record, I agree that this Muslim group should be able to build a mosque near the WTC if they want. I say this because if a group claiming to be Christian perpetrated a deadly terrorist act like 9/11 most Americans would not object if a Christian church wanted to build near the site of the act. They would not object because Americans and Christians would distinguish between the bastardized and true teachings of Christ. Having said that, I understand that people are afraid and don't want another terrorist attack on our soil. Since we can't throw a group of people or a whole religion out of our country, how do we protect our country while being true to America and what we stand for?
You are not an American. You may have citizenship, but you are NOT American. And your argument is invalid. Christians didn't hijack planes and crash them killing over 3000 people. Muslims did.

America did not gain its freedom by taking a lot of crap from other countries, and our freedom of religion does NOT mean we tolerate ALL religions, especially those whose basic tenets are anti-American. America does not have to welcome islam. As Americans, we have the right to say no, and we have the RIGHT to be prejudiced against ANY religion, especially those that inherently HATE us!!!

Good day, treasonist.

Since: Dec 08

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

2

LBJ wrote:
There is no division on the subject that building this mosque there is an absurdly insensitive affront to decent people everywhere, and at worst a horrible, vile, permanent shrine to violence and an insult to anyone who says they want to heal wounds and forgive. It would be like letting the KKK build a monument to Hitler on the ashes of Auschwitz. If Islam is a religion of peace, what peace loving Muslim would ever wish to inflict such an insult so close the the place where 3000 Americans were killed in the name of Allah. Liberals are always carping about how insensitive conservatives are when it comes to non-western culture and religion, so how about donning your sensitivity policeman's hat now and mete out some equal sensitivity justice and the other guys for a change?
There are a lot of Christian churches in the Holy Land where Christians tried to eradicate people of other faiths. Keep in mind that was an organized war planned by the highest leadership of the church. We have Christian churches built all over this country near sites where native people were massacred for their land. Being a Christian myself, I know that the actions of those people does not reflect my faith accurately, otherwise I have to blame myself for those atrocities. I am of Irish descent. Does that mean I am guilty of IRA bombings in Ireland? I am of German descent. Does that mean I am inherently evil and have ownership in my people starting two World Wars that killed millions of people all around the world? I don't think so, we are talking about power hungry extremists. You can pull phrases from the Koran that are violent, but you can do the same with the Bible. True followers of Islam know that Christians and Jews are to be treated in higher regard than other non-Muslims because they are "people of the book," meaning they share the same old testament. In the US, when a Christian blows up an abotion clinic or for example the Oklahoma City Federal Building, the blame is put on the person, not their Christian faith because we all know they twisted the truth of their faith. I know many Muslims and they only want the same things I do. They want a safe place to live and make a life for themselves, just like my ancestors did. They are not accurately represented by terrorists that are Muslim just like I am not represented by Christian terrorists. To think any different is the definition of ignorance.
Javier

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

2

The Solution wrote:
Steps to the Solution:
1. Build HUGE mosque
2. Fill to gills with muslims
3. Fly planes into it
4. Repeat
You'll likely need to RINSE after step 3.
jpocali

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 20, 2010
 
Having the government decide where houses of worship can be built and attended by innocent citizens scares the hell out of me. Where does this sacred ground end? Three blocks? A quarter of a mile? Should you even be able to see the site from a mosque? Funny how those who stand together with me when we yell about less government and taxes seem to be yelling at me now.
Javier

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 20, 2010
 
jpocali wrote:
Having the government decide where houses of worship can be built and attended by innocent citizens scares the hell out of me. Where does this sacred ground end? Three blocks? A quarter of a mile? Should you even be able to see the site from a mosque? Funny how those who stand together with me when we yell about less government and taxes seem to be yelling at me now.
This issue should be put on a ballot like any other land use permit issue. People, not government should decide. Freedom of religion, despite what many of you think, does not give any religion the right to build anywhere it wants to.

Let the people of America decide on this with a vote. Put it on the ballot!
Get Real

Ulen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

3

After Pearl Harbor most Americans supported putting Japanese Americans in detention camps. Does that make it right?

Since: Dec 08

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Javier wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not an American. You may have citizenship, but you are NOT American. And your argument is invalid. Christians didn't hijack planes and crash them killing over 3000 people. Muslims did.
America did not gain its freedom by taking a lot of crap from other countries, and our freedom of religion does NOT mean we tolerate ALL religions, especially those whose basic tenets are anti-American. America does not have to welcome islam. As Americans, we have the right to say no, and we have the RIGHT to be prejudiced against ANY religion, especially those that inherently HATE us!!!
Good day, treasonist.
For the uneducated, directly from our Constitution's First Ammendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." So actually the Constitution makes it very clear that the religion does not matter. Christians have just as many atrocities in the history books as Muslims. In fact, probably more and with a higher body count. Examples being the Crusades, World Wars I and II, the attempted extermination of native peoples in North and South America, all in the name of Christianity and most of those orders came directly from church leadership. Every religious/ethnic group has faced persecution as they came to this country. Germans, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Italians, all of them hated by the people that were already "Americans." I put the word Americans in quotations because it is people like you that send the message that America is intolerant. I will welcome anyone that comes here to work hard and make a life for themselves. That doesn't mean terrorists, but to me that means we should boot out Christian or atheist terrorists also. Islam does not inherently hate us. A few crazy people use isolated parts of the Koran to explain their lunacy, much like crazy Christians use the Bible to validate their lunacy. American freedom was won not because we refused to take crap from anyone, that's just how the revolution started. It was won because the first Americans refused to be scared of the people, the British, that they were told to fear. Right now, you are listening to a few crackpots that are telling you to be scared of Muslims. With you, it has been effective because the fear in your ranting is evident. Your fear is doing more to bolster the success of terrorists than any building ever could.
ForReal

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Aug 20, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Javier wrote:
<quoted text>
This issue should be put on a ballot like any other land use permit issue. People, not government should decide. Freedom of religion, despite what many of you think, does not give any religion the right to build anywhere it wants to.
Let the people of America decide on this with a vote. Put it on the ballot!
Since that block already has strip clubs and bars on it a community center would seem like an upgrade. Unless you're blinded by ideology that is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

New City News Video

•••
•••

New City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

New City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New City
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••