Youth Development Center

Posted in the New Castle Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
KWinemiller

United States

#1 Nov 7, 2010
Can anyone tell me anything about it? I've been a Correctional Officer at a max security prison for juveniles in West Virginia for 3 years now. I'm moving to PA soon and i'm hoping to obtain employment at the New Castle Youth Development Center. I'm just trying to get a feel for what it's going to be like. Any information would be appreciated.
justice was served

New Castle, PA

#2 Nov 14, 2010
Good luck with that, KW! From what I know, there are MAJOR issues here, stemming from the fact that the YDC is under the department of welfare, rather than the justice/corrections dept. The inamates are expected to be treated as "children", poor misguided little souls, some of which make the steelers offensive line look like dwarfs, are hard core gangbangers from philly, and think nothing of rape, murder, etc. Staff is beaten up on a fairly reg. basis, then if they try to defend themselves, can actually be arrestd and prosecuted with "child abuse"!! I hope it works out better for you, maybe you can bring some fresh ideas and common sense into the place from WV. Best of luck!
justice was served

New Castle, PA

#3 Nov 14, 2010
sorry for the double post--computer issues!
an informed source

New Castle, PA

#4 Nov 14, 2010
I worked at YDC during a "Golden Age", when offenders were held accountable and victims were respected. When I first got a job there,the "kids" were in charge, there was no structure, and the "no nothing juvenile justice philosophizers" were in charge. We changed that, put in structure, and, by the way, some of the best treatment in the country. We found no contradiction between treatment and rules and structure.After many years, new "juvenile justice philosophizers" are back in charge. They destroyed what it took us 20 years to build.And they get paid enormous salaries from the taxpayers to overrule the real "grunts" that know what they are doing.When the rules were dismantled, thhe treatment went downhill.Maybe the institution can come back with a new regime in Harrisburg with a new governor. I am not saying not to apply for a job. I would apply and interview and check it out for myself. But keep your eyes open. And be sure you know the butt kissers from the staff who will watch and cover yours.
justice was served

New Castle, PA

#5 Nov 15, 2010
an informed source wrote:
I worked at YDC during a "Golden Age", when offenders were held accountable and victims were respected. When I first got a job there,the "kids" were in charge, there was no structure, and the "no nothing juvenile justice philosophizers" were in charge. We changed that, put in structure, and, by the way, some of the best treatment in the country. We found no contradiction between treatment and rules and structure.After many years, new "juvenile justice philosophizers" are back in charge. They destroyed what it took us 20 years to build.And they get paid enormous salaries from the taxpayers to overrule the real "grunts" that know what they are doing.When the rules were dismantled, thhe treatment went downhill.Maybe the institution can come back with a new regime in Harrisburg with a new governor. I am not saying not to apply for a job. I would apply and interview and check it out for myself. But keep your eyes open. And be sure you know the butt kissers from the staff who will watch and cover yours.
I know of those golden days of the past--and what you all did was amazing, and you have summed it all up SO well!! I wasn't aware that it had already been turned around for the better once, perhaps there is still hope! Although the juvenile crimes of 10-20 yrs ago pale in comparison to what they are now, in this day of NO RESPECT for anything or anyone, including human life! Now, everyone is so concerned with the "rights" of the criminal that justice is a joke, both in the juv. system and also the adult system. The "kids" at the YDC are still allowed to fly there gang banger colors in the spirit of "not crimping their individuality", wear street clothes with the waist below their backside (with underwear--ON A GOOD DAY--sticking out, not conform to any dress or grooming codes, and even walk around with female staffers with their hands in their pants! Yet, all are supposed to be so politically correct in dealing with these "troubled souls", some of them in their early 20's, by the way! The first thing that needs done is all should be given jumpsuits and crewcuts on admission--there is a definite need to "break" their spirit to regain any control. There are so many staff who will receive a full paycheck for the rest of their lives because they have been so savagely beaten by these punks, and we tax payers are all footing the bill!(not that they don't deserve this compensation, but it should have been prevented in the first place) One more thing, KW--if you plan to apply, try to get hired by the end of the yr, currently a pension is locked in @ 5 yrs, after the new yr, it will be 10 yrs. so if you do plan to apply,(not sure of your age or if this is important to you), take your civil service exam & do it quickly.
an informed source

New Castle, PA

#6 Dec 5, 2010
YDC New Castle should be about protecting lives-victim's lives, staff's lives, and the lives of the confused, damaged youth who are sent there. Instead, it is about protecting egos.Bureaucrats who are completely out of touch with the syndrome of victimization as it occurs to real people in real communities, in real life are the key decision makers, and noone dare question them or receive the wrath of their ego.None of them have any experience in running a shift in a cottage except in fantasyland in their head.So staff get hurt (but it must be their fault!) as the youth bring in their criminal lifestyle they lived in the community into the institution.They are then better prepared by YDC New Castle to victimize further people in the community upon their return.
The only hope for YDC is the staff who work the cottages and know the reality of what the work is all about. Send the management back to fantasyland and lets let knowledgeable people do the real work of saving lives.
former resident

United States

#7 Mar 21, 2011
I spent some time in ydc new castle in 97 and let me tell you that back then there were no staff getting beat up maybe the inmates but not staff and it was max no outside clothes maybe sneakers I could only send and receive two letters a day and only one call out a week for 5min one call in a week for ten mins if my family had long distance it taught me well and I ve neber been back in the system so maybe they should go back to the way they operated then committed to the state and hands on I got my ribs broke for not doing what I was told when I was told and there was noone to cry or whine to

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#8 Feb 17, 2012
It is scandalous what that man from Harrisburg and those at YDC that gave up correct treatment for promotions did to YDC New Castle.It took them a few years to tear down 25 years of work.Staff hurt, kids hurt,victims hurt.Most of the competent staff left.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#9 Feb 18, 2012
They need to close that place down.I bet it is costing more now to keep it open....it is just a matter of time now.
Insider

New Castle, PA

#10 Aug 8, 2012
Seraphima wrote:
They need to close that place down.I bet it is costing more now to keep it open....it is just a matter of time now.
Looks like we are closing.

Location hidden

#11 Aug 8, 2012
Insider wrote:
<quoted text>Looks like we are closing.
you dont say....we knew that would happen 5 years ago.It is a shame what was done to that place.
no one you know

New Castle, PA

#12 Aug 14, 2012
it is a shame at what the new management did to the place. this place used to be one of structer and accountability, in holding the youth accountable that is. now its all about punishing staff. the good staff that try to do thier jobs and try to hold these offenders accountable, these staff are the ones punished. lets remember something people, these criminals are here for a reason and that reason being they victimized someone out there,these criminals commit murder, rape, deal drugs to the kids in your community. and now this management does not want to hold them accountable well shame on them. the people of this community should push to keep this place open and let the staff run their shifts the way they should like it was in the past. this institution was the best in the state with programs in place that took years to develop to help these offenders. this management shut these programs down said they were not needed and sent these programs to loysville ydc along with the youths that should have been sent to new castle. the bjjs director that took over just a couple of years ago said he would shut this place down because he hated new castle. well he is no longer a director he got terminated for his inappropriate actions that i will not put out there but it was much deserved. but the damage he set upon this place is to much to overcome. now it does look as though these workers will now be out of a job

Location hidden

#13 Aug 14, 2012
no one you know wrote:
it is a shame at what the new management did to the place. this place used to be one of structer and accountability, in holding the youth accountable that is. now its all about punishing staff. the good staff that try to do thier jobs and try to hold these offenders accountable, these staff are the ones punished. lets remember something people, these criminals are here for a reason and that reason being they victimized someone out there,these criminals commit murder, rape, deal drugs to the kids in your community. and now this management does not want to hold them accountable well shame on them. the people of this community should push to keep this place open and let the staff run their shifts the way they should like it was in the past. this institution was the best in the state with programs in place that took years to develop to help these offenders. this management shut these programs down said they were not needed and sent these programs to loysville ydc along with the youths that should have been sent to new castle. the bjjs director that took over just a couple of years ago said he would shut this place down because he hated new castle. well he is no longer a director he got terminated for his inappropriate actions that i will not put out there but it was much deserved. but the damage he set upon this place is to much to overcome. now it does look as though these workers will now be out of a job
Believe me,it was destroyed on purpose.I know of what your saying very true.It took years to build YDC New Castle to what it once was.And your right,It was the Best in the state.My husband worked 33 years there and fought for YDC, after he retired,when the 100 lay offs were put on the table.He went to the state rep.to plead the case for the workers and for structure.He wrote a letter to the new DPW head explaining how the mangement was destorying the place.So many good workers lost their jobs because of a mans ego.It was wonderful news to hear of his termination but it should have happened years ago.I guess all that butt kissing didnt matter in the end.That man was a snake and my husband had him pegged many years ago.Your probably wondering who my husband is.He was well liked ,very respected ,took care of his staff,great sense of humor,and a founder of one of your programs.Oh one more thing,he offered to come back and help with his expertise FREE.Never heard from anyone.So what does that say?
Shame on You Management

New Castle, PA

#14 Aug 20, 2012
Harrisburg as well as the local management destroyed YDC. Having spent my life building something at YDC it broke my heart but I have to let it go. I tried to help the workers after retirement by going to government officials but nothing happened.New Castle was the jewel of the system. The workers were the best. The management rode on the reputation of the workers and the programs that the management did nothing to create.

Now who loses? Victims, Workers, Communities, and the Offenders themselves.Structure Accountability then Treatment. The management destroyed all three. Yet noone from above did nothing. It sickens me.
John Doe

Ellwood City, PA

#15 Sep 7, 2012
I currently work at YDC and I feel the staff and management are doing a damn good job working with these youth and providing them with tools to succeed in their communities. People can't dwell on the past but the people who work there now continue to hold their heads high and perform their duties to the best of their ablilities even with the LOOMING closure and Harrisburg officals being puppet masters and driving this place into the dirt. It will be a shame to see it go and LAWRENCE County will truly feel the impact of some of it's better paid members are out on the streets collecting unemployment. Tom Corbett also is working his hand in closing New Castle YDC by closing programs and eliminating 100 jobs to save money. OUR STREETS WILL NOT BE SAFE!!! Thanks elected officials.

Location hidden

#16 Sep 7, 2012
John Doe wrote:
I currently work at YDC and I feel the staff and management are doing a damn good job working with these youth and providing them with tools to succeed in their communities. People can't dwell on the past but the people who work there now continue to hold their heads high and perform their duties to the best of their ablilities even with the LOOMING closure and Harrisburg officals being puppet masters and driving this place into the dirt. It will be a shame to see it go and LAWRENCE County will truly feel the impact of some of it's better paid members are out on the streets collecting unemployment. Tom Corbett also is working his hand in closing New Castle YDC by closing programs and eliminating 100 jobs to save money. OUR STREETS WILL NOT BE SAFE!!! Thanks elected officials.
Hmmmmm you must not be working at the same YDC New Castle that I am talking about.lol Truth be known,people are worried about their future.The good staff already found other jobs or retired for they saw this coming long ago.Alot of staff is out on injury.There is NO TOOLS given to those kids.WE KNOW THE TRUTH.WE KNOW WHO RAN THAT PLACE TO THE GROUND.Tom Corbett did not close those programs at YDC.Is that what mangement is tell you? lol.You must be a new employee.lol
moved on

Mercer, PA

#17 Oct 20, 2012
i worked at YDC for several years. there were a lot of great people working there (I'm sure there still is, but most of the ones i knew have moved on in the past 2 years) that truely wanted to help change lives. THe problem is there is absolutly no accountability. I saw kids assault staff and other residents and the only blame placed by some managment (would love to name names, but wont) was on why the staff couldnt avoid it. After an assault, residents would have a "conflict resolution" and wouldnt even be sanctioned (not even removal from a job let alone room time). HUG A THUG isn't working....i can only imagine John Doe is a member of the messed up management. Good luck to the few good staff left!

Location hidden

#18 Oct 20, 2012
moved on wrote:
i worked at YDC for several years. there were a lot of great people working there (I'm sure there still is, but most of the ones i knew have moved on in the past 2 years) that truely wanted to help change lives. THe problem is there is absolutly no accountability. I saw kids assault staff and other residents and the only blame placed by some managment (would love to name names, but wont) was on why the staff couldnt avoid it. After an assault, residents would have a "conflict resolution" and wouldnt even be sanctioned (not even removal from a job let alone room time). HUG A THUG isn't working....i can only imagine John Doe is a member of the messed up management. Good luck to the few good staff left!
YDC is done...it can never be restore to what it once was.The people who created those programs that ydc once had are now gone.Retired.They were YDC New Castle.They were the brains of that place.Mangement was more interested in promoting butt kissers than people that had talent and deserved promoting.My husband Nick Pihiou,fought for YDC after he retired.He offered to return to help rebuild it.Free...because he cared about the staff and the kids.He didnt care about himself.I hope the people that betrayed him and others that were loyal,dedicated workers oneday come to terms with what they have done.The state should now do YDC New Castle a favor and put it out of its misery.

Location hidden

#19 Oct 20, 2012
John Doe wrote:
How much are they paying you to say that?....lol
I Love My Job

Ellwood City, PA

#20 Oct 21, 2012
I currently work at NCYDC. We have some of the most dedicated and educated professionals in the field of juvenile delinquent treatment. Our treatment surpasses all of the other state run juvenile facilities. I am proud to say I work at New Castle YDC. SERAPHIMA...I hope you pay taxes, its dumbasses like you that will be paying my bills if you get your wish and YDC is put out of its misery!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Castle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
old murder cases (Dec '09) Jun 28 Noname 166
Local Politics Do you approve of Dan Vogler as Commissioner? Apr '16 Jeff L 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Anthony Mastrangelo as Mayor? Apr '16 Jim 1
Kadunce Murders from 1978 (Apr '11) Apr '16 RED 75
shawn thomas moore minor rape (Aug '12) Apr '16 ashleynicole 5
Need some good weed asap (Aug '14) Mar '16 matt4283 4
News Uneeda Tire Co. New Castle, Pennsylvania (Jan '10) Mar '16 terriw 48

New Castle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance