Dental patient was high on nitrous ox...

Dental patient was high on nitrous oxide when he accidentally shot himself: Ohio police

There are 117 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 3, 2016, titled Dental patient was high on nitrous oxide when he accidentally shot himself: Ohio police. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Instead of grabbing his phone, the 72-year-old from New Carlisle, Ohio - who was under the influence of nitrous oxide - grabbed something else: his pistol. Still sitting in the dental chair, the woozy patient fired off a round that struck his hand and grazed the left side of his stomach, according to the Springfield News-Sun.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#1 Sep 3, 2016
Was he laughing when he shot himself while under the influence of laughing gas?

Since: Dec 15

Location hidden

#2 Sep 3, 2016
With a shot in a small room like that i bet his ears are ringing so hard he's STILL trying to answer the phone!
beatlesinthebog

Christchurch, New Zealand

#3 Sep 3, 2016
Man admits drilling himself was very foolfilling.
Parden Pard

Whitehall, PA

#4 Sep 3, 2016
UMMM,, the dentist eventually told him,,,Sir,,you fcuking idiot,,you have a new cavity.,,,,!
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Sep 3, 2016
He got off the same type of accidental shot but with his penis the other day at the mall while intending to turn on his Pono music player. Or that was the explanation he gave....
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Sep 3, 2016
Studies show that NRA members tend to be better than average on dental hygiene. It's just they have less safe homes due to the presence of their gums....
Emerald

Allentown, PA

#7 Sep 3, 2016
The dentist should install one of those boxing gloves on a spring extension on his wall. A good left hook to the face would have been more appropriate for this type of patient and no costly filling and drilling either.
payme

Corinth, MS

#8 Sep 4, 2016
He was reaching for his cell phone while in a dentist chair?
Cell phones has passed dui as the number one cause of traffic deaths. That also means they have passed guns in number of deaths.

And a cell phone is the reason for this accident.

Ban cell phones now.

“Happy Spring”

Since: Dec 09

Just hanging out.

#9 Sep 4, 2016
What could have been so important in the 1st place all layed up in the dentist chair, all gassed
up ,that he had to answer his phone? And I thought cell phones had to be shut off at the dentist.
Emerald

Allentown, PA

#10 Sep 4, 2016
Suezanne wrote:
What could have been so important in the 1st place all layed up in the dentist chair, all gassed
up ,that he had to answer his phone? And I thought cell phones had to be shut off at the dentist.
I remember when I forgot to turn my cell phone off and my mother called in the middle of a cleaning. The dentist didn't seem to be fazed much but I told him that I'd either leave my phone in the car the next time or be sure that it's off.
Emerald

Allentown, PA

#11 Sep 4, 2016
Emerald wrote:
The dentist should install one of those boxing gloves on a spring extension on his wall. A good left hook to the face would have been more appropriate for this type of patient and no costly filling and drilling either.
In response to what I posted above, I was making a joke and should have read the article in its entirety. In all seriousness and concern, this incident was anything but a joke. Someone could have been seriously injured or killed. There should be laws concerning concealed weapons in a healthcare facility or anywhere someone is being treated for health reasons and those who may be under the influence of a twilight sleep or anesthesia, etc. I've never heard of such an incident happening before and hearing about it for the first time is very disturbing. I hope the medical building and offices there post signs and enforce that they be obeyed. Just one incident like this could be fatal.
payme

Corinth, MS

#12 Sep 4, 2016
Emerald wrote:
<quoted text>

In response to what I posted above, I was making a joke and should have read the article in its entirety. In all seriousness and concern, this incident was anything but a joke. Someone could have been seriously injured or killed. There should be laws concerning concealed weapons in a healthcare facility or anywhere someone is being treated for health reasons and those who may be under the influence of a twilight sleep or anesthesia, etc. I've never heard of such an incident happening before and hearing about it for the first time is very disturbing. I hope the medical building and offices there post signs and enforce that they be obeyed. Just one incident like this could be fatal.
No, it was the cell phone.

They are allowed in cars and contribute to more deaths per year than gun accidents.

Also doctors and medical mistakes cause more accidental deaths than guns.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/health/pokemon-...

Two men in their early 20s fell an estimated 50 to 90 feet down a cliff in Encinitas, California, on Wednesday afternoon while playing "Pokémon Go," San Diego County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Rich Eaton said.

http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/201...
Emerald

Allentown, PA

#13 Sep 4, 2016
payme wrote:
<quoted text>

They are allowed in cars and contribute to more deaths per year than gun accidents.

Two men in their early 20s fell an estimated 50 to 90 feet down a cliff in Encinitas, California, on Wednesday afternoon while playing "Pokémon Go," San Diego County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Rich Eaton said.

Whatever the reason, the guy was under the influence and was confused or still in a dream state, which is why he took out his gun. No two incidents and accidents are ever exactly alike, but guns are often the cause of serious injuries and fatalities. That's not to say that a gun couldn't ever prevent a catastrophe but often that's not the case. That dentist was lucky he wasn't harmed or killed. The point is, there are too many idiots walking around with a concealed weapon who think they will handle any given situation. There are those who are responsible gun owners, but its the ones who act irresponsibly, careless or are unfit to carry a weapon. That's the real disturbing issue.
Anita Bryant s Jihad

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Sep 4, 2016
payme wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it was a stupid or deranged gun owner, just as it is in most of the tens of thousands of gun deaths in the US each year - from accident, domestic dispute, suicide.

The benefit to cost ratio of, well, not cars, but of transportation is very high. The benefit to cost ratio of medical care is high. The actual benefit of guns is elusive, particularly since guns make homes less safe, statistically speaking.

This is all too complex for gun nuts, however.

“Happy Spring”

Just hanging out.

#15 Sep 4, 2016
payme wrote:
<quoted text>

That's senseless and sad. I don't get all this excitement over this PokeMan game taking it to the streets anyhoo.

“Happy Spring”

Just hanging out.

#16 Sep 4, 2016
Emerald wrote:
<quoted text>

I remember when I forgot to turn my cell phone off and my mother called in the middle of a cleaning. The dentist didn't seem to be fazed much but I told him that I'd either leave my phone in the car the next time or be sure that it's off.
Accidents happen to the best of us. I think those cess phone off and on switches are too small and very easily missed thinking you shut the phone off when you didn't. Imagine it going off at a lecture, its embarrassing, everyone treats you like a criminal. LOL

“Happy Spring”

Just hanging out.

#17 Sep 4, 2016
Emerald wrote:
<quoted text>

Definetly true. Phones don't belong in an operating room of any kind, esp. when going under. Are people that addicted to their phones that they have to bring it with them when about to go under.
Come on people, leave your phone at home.
Anita Bryant s Jihad

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Sep 4, 2016
Actually you do need to have a smart phone in the operating room in case you forget which one is the spleen and need to search for some images. To take just one example.

Just not sure what the guns are for in the vast majority of cases except for a security blanky against "dark" people coming to get you.
payme

Corinth, MS

#19 Sep 5, 2016
Emerald wrote:
<quoted text>

Whatever the reason, the guy was under the influence and was confused or still in a dream state, which is why he took out his gun. No two incidents and accidents are ever exactly alike, but guns are often the cause of serious injuries and fatalities. That's not to say that a gun couldn't ever prevent a catastrophe but often that's not the case. That dentist was lucky he wasn't harmed or killed. The point is, there are too many idiots walking around with a concealed weapon who think they will handle any given situation. There are those who are responsible gun owners, but its the ones who act irresponsibly, careless or are unfit to carry a weapon. That's the real disturbing issue.
You completely sidestepped my points.

If he did not reach for the cell phone then he would never have touched the gun.

I can not not find any other instance of someone undergoing a medical procedure and accidentally firing a gun.

By statistics, everyone in the room was in more danger driving to and from the clinic than being accidentally shot.
Statistics say almost everyone who drives a car WILL BE in at least one car wreck sometime in their life. As opposed to you have a higher chance of falling in your tub and being injured than accidentally shot.

By the way. The numbers show police shoot more people by accident than conceal carry citizens.
Does that not disturb you more?
payme

Corinth, MS

#20 Sep 5, 2016
Anita Bryant s Jihad wrote:
<quoted text>

No, it was a stupid or deranged gun owner, just as it is in most of the tens of thousands of gun deaths in the US each year - from accident, domestic dispute, suicide.

The benefit to cost ratio of, well, not cars, but of transportation is very high. The benefit to cost ratio of medical care is high. The actual benefit of guns is elusive, particularly since guns make homes less safe, statistically speaking.

This is all too complex for gun nuts, however.
It is a proven fact that guns are NOT linked to domestic violence OR suicide.
The U.S. is not even in the top five countries for suicide. In fact EVERY country with a higher suicide rate has virtually no citizen gun ownership.
Domestic violence tends to be HIGHER in anti gun areas due to victims not being able to protect themselves.

The quote "your home is less safe with guns" is a debunked myth. Even the CDC studies show this.
That was a myth started by an anti gun group.

Over twenty independent studies show guns are used on average 1,500,000 times per year for self defense.

Considering a gun and smartphone cost about the same, which can best be used for defending your life?

Think of it this way.
Do you own a fire extinguisher?
Your home is on fire.
In one hand you have your cell phone and can call for help.(The fire department can and might be there in minuets).
In the other hand you have a fire extinguisher.(It can be used NOW!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Carlisle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Ohio (Dist... (Oct '10) 1 hr Moms Farts 43
News Is It Sinful for Christian Women to Wear Pants ... (Nov '06) Tue BobTrent 538
So at first glance yo look at your account and ... Sep 14 Plastic surgeryen... 1
Idiots Wanted Sep 13 Shyster 1
only The brave proceed! Sep 13 Gmatt21 3
Dimensional Portal Sep 12 BP Bathroom 3
Y'all really good at what you do and how you do it Sep 12 Manonamissiin 1

New Carlisle Jobs

Personal Finance

New Carlisle Mortgages